Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had it in my head that Bruno was in the battle royal with the NFL guys too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Why was The Crow Sting so cool and will there ever be a dark 90's grunge gimmick as cool as that again? (the kind of 90s dark grunge gimmick where the wrestler never utters a word, but has magical powers that allow him/her/they to appear behind their enemy from a puff of smoke or burst through the center of the ring with a baseball bat, or maybe transform themselves from a gross sweaty ringside fan to cool dark 90s face painted freak a la a magician's trick?)

What I've seen of Jeff Hardy as Willow in TNA is a bit like this. I don't know for sure though, because what I've seen also looked really horrible.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

lost my old email posted:

i have a scoop via an intimate friend: it is not fun to be punched in the vagina

This is true, though I dare say that it is not the main reason why they had Nicole Bass sell the low blow.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
IT'S THE ULTIMATE SWERVE

THAT JARRETT HE'S A LATTER DAY LAURENCE OLIVIER HE IS

I was ten years old and I didn't want to see him on my TV.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I must have been a broken child because I loved Jeff Jarrett. He was such a piece of poo poo with his glowing entrance gear.

It was a long time coming for me, but I can just about understand why some people are big fans of his now. I do appreciate an unapologetic heel.

I also remembered that the commentary line I quoted was actually talking about David Arquette so sorry about that JJ!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I watched the PPV where Angle lost his hair when it happened, and I have fond memories of his hilarious cartoonish reaction when Edge gave him the mirror after he finally got him in the chair. :allears:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Cat: "I saw yo momma out back, and your rear end is even bigger than hers!"
Bam Bam: >: (
Tony: OH BOY

Is it true that they didn't even advertise the James Brown appearance?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What happened to noted white supremacist Lars Sullivan? I've not heard about him for a bit.

Davros1 posted:

I love that:

A) the guitar is given a blurb on the package
and
B) it appears that the figure's hands are molded into fists, so it can't actually hold the guitar

This somehow seems completely fitting for Jarrett.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Adaptabullshit posted:

What was the purpose of having a picture of Scott Hall in the box? What was this match all about?

I've always thought that it was because Hall was infamous amongst hardcore fans at the time for all the wrong reasons: being a broken-down mess, missing shows, constantly getting disciplined/arrested, etc but still being a part of the company. There were all kinds of "wink wink nudge nudge" references to him through the year, usually in relation to Nash who had been characterised both on- and off-screen as a politicking rear end in a top hat. I think it was just supposed to continue on in that vein, even though something like 95% of the audience wouldn't have had a clue (or cared about) what was going on backstage. The match itself was the peak of Vince Russo's love affair with pole matches: the other boxes had a blow-up doll and a coal miner's glove, the latter possibly in reference to something that had happened in WCW many years prior. Also the little guy from Howard Stern did a run-in.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if it wasn't just random for the sake of it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Huntman posted:

that said i do enjoy this one - Lie Detector Test Vs. Piper's Job: Sean O'Haire defeats Mr. America by Count Out (7:00)

Vince: "It's Hogan, Hogan, Hogan, Hogan!"
Mr America: "No, no, no, no!"
Lie detector: *ding ding ding ding*

Smackdown crowd: *seagull pop*

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What is the best "wrestlers on a game show" special ever? I'm trying to think of something that beats this exchange (paraphrased) from the first (?) time WWE did The Weakest Link, I think in 2001 during the Invasion:

Anne Robinson: "If you're the 'billion dollar princess' then where did you get all your money?"

Stephanie McMahon: "My daddy."

Anne Robinson: "Who's your daddy?"

Stephanie McMahon: "Vince McMahon."

Anne Robinson: "Never heard of him."

Also, did the following episode of Raw have a woman wrestler, let's say Ivory, dressed up as Anne Robinson only to be stripped of her garments by... idk, let's go with Lita? I can practically hear JR bellowing "BAH GAWD PAWL, THAT SEXUALLY REPRESSED BRIT JUST GOT HUMILIATED!" :bahgawd:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

CVagts posted:

IIRC he just happened to fit every single clue that was supposed to reduce it down to HHH (and Hornswoggle) and just didn't leave because he was still technically a candidate.

The way I remember it being told is that he was wrestling someone just prior to the segment (I think Santino?) and he somehow ended up getting concussed during the match. During the segment you can see him on the outside trying to get his breath back, including when the lawyer reveals that Vince's son is not EXTREME.

Some of this may have come from Sandman himself, who bizarrely enough may not be the best source.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lol at Cole at the end.

"Warlock wins." :geno:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

new jack threw a full can of sprite at the back of gabe sapolsky's head because he asked for a 7up and not a sprite

What a psychopath.

Who the Hell prefers 7up over Sprite.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

jesus WEP posted:

I’m not one to doubt a man as intelligent as Jim Duggan

Hehehehe, HAHAHAHA!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Gary Spivey and Mr Wonderful also counts as a mirror angle due to that part where they randomly start talking to each other through the mirror.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Didn't Vince also have a dream sequence from around the time where the Nexus first showed up? Something about him being in a hospital bed and waking up with Linda For Senate stickers all over him or something?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DiN0UNuvc Found it! It was Stephanie's dream sequence but close enough.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 12, 2019

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had Wrestlemania X-7 on video when I was a kid and sadly they cut out Heyman's BIG UPS to Limp Bizkit. :(

They also cut out Heenan's "It's great to be back at Wrestlemania, Tony" gag. It was weird because even though they also cut out Mean Gene sputtering "Tony!?" in response, they left in him saying "Are you puttin' me on??". That confused the hell out of me back then.

What are some other random wrestling edits that are rarely talked about?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You knew that Tony was a heel now because he, one, had a beard, two, was wearing a Hawaiian shirt, and three, made fun of Paul Bearer for being fat.

Someone on these forums wasn't exaggerating when they said it might actually be the worst wrestling segment ever.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The 1999 Rumble was peak Russo, with half the action taking place on the outside and entrants like Austin and Vince loving off for the majority of the match.

EDIT: This is also the Rumble where half the wrestlers tried to look cool by getting a bunch of facial piercings. In an industry where you regularly get punched in the face.

The 30 seconds or so where we go from the Ministry of Darkness putting Mabel into a hearse to Austin returning in an ambulance he's commandeered (during the match, in the same shot!) might be the best summary of the Attitude Era that's not horribly racist and/or misogynistic.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Ricky Morton's mullet is either the best ever or the worst ever.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

My favourite part of this has always been the doctor's reaction. "What the?? What was that about!?"

Closely followed by Tony just ignoring it to shill the sponsor.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Hebner was embarrassingly hammy but at least he didn't SELL MOVES for whatever reason like Slick Johnson did. Like, someone would get whipped into the turnbuckle and Slick would hold his back in faux-pain on the other side of the ring. He did it in both WCW and TNA!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think the problem with ref gimmicks in WWE/WCW and the like is that they need to go all in on them in order to be consistent, but this is nigh-impossible with the amount of screen time there is to cover in those promotions. Like, Nick Patrick was WCW's de facto Evil Ref from the NWO onwards, and as such he ended up reffing every single match on the first Souled Out pay-per-view, because it was supposed to be an NWO show. The problem was that he couldn't do his shenanigans in every single match without just compromising the whole thing, so he ended up officiating most of the matches normally and saving most of his antics for the main event, which I think even the all-heel commentary team of Eric Bischoff (essentially the PROMOTER) and Ted Dibiase questioned out loud.

When he went to WWE for the Invasion it sort of happened again. He was an Evil Ref because he wouldn't count the falls when a WWE guy had a WCW guy pinned for a WCW title, through a variety of wheezes like faking injuries and falsely disqualifying people (Michael Cole repeatedly referred to him as "somewhat biased" in response). Earl Hebner took umbrage with this (actually he just objected to the WCW refs putting their stupid smelly bags on the WWE side of the changing room!) and had a "match" with Patrick at the Invasion pay-per-view. This ended with Patrick getting his comeuppance via Mick Foley and Mr Socko. The Invasion, however, still wouldn't end for a number of months, so Patrick had to do his heel schtick sometimes - but not all the time. Basically whenever it was needed for a screwy finish. In fairness, his "CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!!" mannerisms whenever the WWE guys would win (which was always) were pretty funny, but it still didn't make much sense.

But then you have even more eye-rolling cases, like Slick Johnson in TNA was an Evil Ref because he took sexual favours from Evil Women. Because it was TNA.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm still a bit unclear about his Seven character in WCW due to reading so much conflicting information about it. Was it intended as a legit spooky character along the lines of, say, Bray Wyatt until Turner S&P got involved? Was it always going to end with a worked shoot, or was this something added in by the recently arrived Vince Russo (he might not have even got there yet, I'm confused with my timelines)? Were the promos really supposed to imply that he was a child molester of sorts?

Either way it was bad.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know Sting wasn't exactly the best wrestler ever, or even a considerable draw outside of 1997 according to people who know their numbers better than I do, but I can admire a performer who is at their best when they're being a pure babyface. People like that are few and far between for a number of reasons, but sometimes all you want is a good guy shoutyman to beat up all the baddies and call it a day. In terms of the babyface fire (perhaps "aura" is a better word to use when talking about Crow Sting?) he brought to his matches and promos, I do have to think a little bit to find someone comparable to Sting at his peak.

Another question, just how bad was his heel run in 1999? I remember it being very bad.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was the timeline on Tank in 2000 anyway? Did he get pinned by David Arquette (he was in on it, it's fine!!) before, during, or after the period where they were ostensibly hyping Tank vs Goldberg?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
He's very protective of his blonde Chinese hair and skin of a hot dog because that's how he channels the power of Hulkamania.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

He lost to Arquette about a month before the Goldberg match, which annoyed Goldberg but what I think really pissed him off was a week before the match they had Tank lose a handicap match.

Lol, WCW is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I keep reading it as Mr Hughes.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Benne posted:

I love that JBL had the shittiest numbers in that span

JBL turned me off wrestling for years, and I don't care how many revisionists know it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember WM 19 being good but I think in the terms of draws it was really hurt by them pushing Vince vs Hogan over everything else and it turns out that people don't actually want to see Vince in the ring?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't quite know how much this affected Vince matches in terms of drawing, but another problem with them was that they were rarely "Vince gets his rear end kicked for five minutes or less and then loses" like you might have expected, but instead they were wacky sideshows filled with shenanigans and interference, in the main event. The aforementioned cage match with Austin has one of the silliest finishes ever, punctuated by how it was poor Big Show's WWF debut!

Even more bizarrely (or not, as the case may be) were the cases where the commentators talked Vince up as if he actually had a chance of winning without cheating, crowing about his PERFECT PHYSICAL SPECIMEN or whatever. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if we were the target audience for Vince matches...

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There it is. I never quite figured out why JBL's push was so insulting (besides him getting rewarded for being a poo poo human being) and it's because he got the push and belt that DiBiase never did.

I usually enjoy the Rich rear end in a top hat gimmick - heck I even liked Del Rio at one point! - but the thing that rubbed me the wrong way about JBL (in addition to his push seemingly coming out of nowhere) was that he rarely ever seemed to get his comeuppance, and that combined with the George Bush aspect to his gimmick left a sour taste in my mouth, even though I was only 14 years old at the time.

Strangely, I had survived things like La Resistance and Scott Steiner telling us that critics of the Iraq invasion can go "straight to Hell, or France, same difference!", but it's WWE doing the gimmick for HEEL heat that turns me off wrestling, of course.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I believe also that Eddie's run as champion wasn't doing the business that they were expecting? If so, that sucks. :(

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, isn't WWE's expectations whenever they do something with a hispanic wrestler that he's suddenly going to spike all latin american numbers in an irrational and slightly racist way?

Yes, I believe so.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

extradite THIS! posted:

They put the belt on Jinder with the expectation that they’d grab a huge new market in India and immediately afterwards their numbers there tanked and they scrapped the plan lol

I just love everything about how that poo poo went down and will use any opportunity to post about it. It’s why Jinder’s reign had to be immortalized in the champ poll.

On top of Jinder not being very good and the booking being bad, was part of this down to WWE not knowing that he's of Punjabi Sikh descent?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Test may be gone but his theme will live forever

Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece,
Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece,
Mama lama dad, with your lugs on fire,
Babba dap dap dabba dabba do!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

NikkolasKing posted:

And Kane never got revenge for X-Pac stealing Tori, right? Trips steals Steph and she turns heel and X-Pac steals Tori and she turns heel. And both Test and Kane are left looking like total losers.

Kane survived 'cuz he's Kane. Big Show, too. Pretty sure he loses the WWF Title in ignoble fashion and is just forgotten but he obviously stays as a fixture of WWE. And then Test is just left by the wayside to kinda do okay in the midcard for a few years.

I remember liking the McMahon Helmsley era when I was younger. I was dumb.

To be fair, Big Show might have been the most transitional of transitional champions of all time. Triple H vs Vince was absolutely the biggest storyline during his reign, which is mostly notable for Really Evil Big Boss Man getting a world title shot in 1999 by besmirching the name of Big Show's Big Dead Daddy. Austin and Undertaker were out, and Rock and Foley were busy with the New Age Outlaws and... Al Snow!? What a weird time.

I think Kane beat X-Pac a couple of times on PPV but it was never, like, a big deal where he gave him and Tori their comeuppance. I remember more about him beating up Pete Rose at Wrestlemania than X-Pac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What are everyone else's favourite gibberish wrestling songs? I liked the original Smackdown intro song:

IKKA T,
BOOK A TIE,
KEY BAD AND SNAKE!

And of course, who could forget the Attitude Era Raw intro:

It's the like, with the back,
And Jordan's feet,
Take a saw in my arms,
With the soul of Vince,
But you aren't passing with my lame-brain spear!
(guitar)
Goddamn cracked the crawl,
If you hide!

Though as kids we used to sing the ending as "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, BUT EAT MY BIKE!"