Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Are there any other wrestling Youtube/Video content providers other than Botchamania or BDWJ1989 worth checking out?

OSW, Showbuckle, IQWrestler, Wrestle Botch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Professor Skittles posted:

Does anyone have a powerbomb as a finisher in wwe currently?? If not why is it so rarely used ?? I always thought it was one of the cooler moves but rarely if ever see it anymore.

It sucks to take.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of the Tombstone, what other moves have been around a while and are now named after a wrestler or their gimmick, instead of whatever it was originally called? Sharpshooter is one, what was the Crippler Crossface called before Benoit if anything?

It was just called a crossface(crossface neck crank/crossface facelock) iirc.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What's a loose hierarchy of weapon strikes?

1. TV cameras
2. Title belts
3. Ring bells
4. Chairs/Stairs
etc

Light tubes are probably the weakest since half the time wrestlers use it on themselves for a quick buff.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I remember Dreamer was doing them as his finisher while he was in the wwe.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Schneider Heim posted:

I have asked a similar question before, but what basic/weak-looking moves are deceptively injury-prone? I got surprised upon reading that the leg drop hosed Hogan's body up, and I have several other accounts from wrestlers (some have been injured by a botched hiptoss, a lock up, or even a simple stomp on a grounded opponent).

One friend almost died taking a hiptoss and another one got concussed taking an armdrag.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

NikkolasKing posted:

2. How legitimately impressive are power moves? Think the hanging vertical suplex or press slam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TvytrosXRI

How much of this is the strength of the lifter and how much is just the other wrestler jumping or holding themselves up?

Hanging vertical isn't that hard just takes good core strength from both parties(if both are relatively the same size.)

Press Slam is much harder and depends on how it's set up, if the guy can jump into it and you got a very good push press it can be done. In that video Crush straight up OHP's undertaker who barely helping him at all so yeah that's loving impressive.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://streamable.com/eq82i

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

The Lord of Hats posted:

If Corpus Christi is so widely known to be a terrible crowd, why do companies keep going there? Do the tickets sell well?

I think cause it's dirt cheap to run there.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Who was that ref in TNA again, the one with the baggy shorts and chuck taylors?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Numero6 posted:

Slick Johnson?

Yep, that was the guy.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I know a friend who's maybe 6'1" max who does it but the top rope at this fed is like a good 6 inches lower than average and the top rope is always pretty loose.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can anybody explain to me how Kota Ibushi was able to punch Okada square in the jaw with those amazing looking punches which were obviously worked (right?). I've never seen such realistic strikes and they were copied in the Tyler Bate/Jordan Devlin match in NXT UK. It's one of the most effectively worked "moves" I've ever seen.

I think the magic of it is in the sell.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Pope Corky the IX posted:

With all these guys covered in sweat and oil and cocoa butter, how do they keep from slipping out of each other's grasp?

Wrist tape.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

TheCool69 posted:

Why is Canadian Destroyer everywhere know? Seems like everyone does it and the move has lost its "impact".. is it because it pretty simple to do? Does it even pop the crowd anymore?

Easy safe big move that was an easy pop, It's slowly starting to make it's exit like the reverse rana or handspring cutter, old dudes like Rickey Morton or Dustin pulling one out still gets a great pop.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

extradite THIS! posted:

I always wonder how much it throws wrestlers off when they have a match in a ring that's smaller or bigger (or a different shape) than what they're accustomed to.

I've been in a 14 x 14 up to a 20 x 20. Only one I personally found noticeable is the 14 x 14, it's so small you have to be quick with rope spots and be super mindful of where you are when you bump someone.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Big Huski Boi posted:

I saw IndependentWrestling.tv actually has an Apple TV app, which is a huge plus for me, but I'm not super familiar with their content.

They got a lot of stuff from top indies on the east coast and in Canada, a lot of old school czw, iwa-ms, I think the whole Chikara library, a lot of small lucha feds and some death match feds. If you enjoy indie wrestling and indie wrestling history you'll probably enjoy it.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

BrigadierSensible posted:

Completely unrelated, and possibly stupid, thought:

Given how many ex-wrestlers become commentators, (Ventura, Heenan, Graves, Zybysko, Taz, Excalibur etc.), to various degrees of success.

Of current wrestlers, who do people think would make good commentators post retirement? Would they be able to use their wrestling characters/personae, or would they change? Or maybe use their real life personalities?

I would posit Cody Rhodes, Big E, MJF as obvious ones. A left field option would be Zack Ryder. I reckon his boyish enthusiasm, and obvious charisma would go well as a babyface colour commentator.

Nick Gage, Joey Janela

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Hirez posted:

It's also crazy that Winnipeg of all places, raised probably the 2 GOAT's with Jericho/Omega; or at least should both Be on Mount Rushmore of wrestling.

Don't forget Tom Mcgee.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Randaconda posted:

how the gently caress did i miss Dynamite dying? :wtc:

Same, I thought he was still a border line vegetable.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Tweak posted:

Are there many notable instances of a wrestler going into business for themselves and changing the out come of their match in some way, instead of what was booked? I know of wrestlers deliberately removing themselves in battle royals they werent going to win, people forgetting to kick out, or promoter driven screwjobs, but have many people just decided to burn every bridge they have with a promotion and go against the booker in ring?

One I've heard rumours about and seen once in person is shindy feds bringing in a respected vet to work a young guy with the vet booked to win. Somewhere around the finish the vet will "forget" to kick out at 3 to help make the rookie look good.

My favorite story is about this promoter who loved working the boys especially during championship matches and he had a sort wwe style set up with the show(producer passing info to the ref who would pass it to the wrestler). Biggest show of the year, baby face in his home town in the main event against the heel champ, booking sheet said heel was going over. In the finish the ref calls for the face to kick out, both wrestlers are confused as hell, ref isn't giving anymore info, champ figures promoter is working them so he calls for the face to give him his finisher and pin him. Face wins goes to the back and gets screamed at by the promoter for going into business for himself.
Turns out what happened was the producer mic picked up a fan screaming for the face to kick out lmao.

Benne posted:

Can't think of any examples off the type of my head, but in the old-timey days this was a big enough concern that promoters wanted their champion to be a tough shooter in case their opponents tried any funny stuff.

I remember my teacher once telling me if I ever had to defend a belt in another fed to always kick out at one in case of funny business.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Red posted:

Now, all that said, at the end of the Benoit episode (p2), Jericho said the incident almost destroyed the industry. I don't agree with that at all, but it certainly changed a lot. How would people respond to that statement by Jericho?

It turned everyone I knew who liked wrestling off of it, myself included.
Would be interesting to see how it affected the ratings.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That sucks.

I can't imagine that it's all 145,945 wrestlers employed by the company but it's still not a good look.

5-6 guys is what he said in the video.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

MJeff posted:

So, from what I've gathered, Owen Hart was a good guy with a good head on his shoulders and a smart outlook on the business (i.e. he wanted to do his time, save his money and get out while he was healthy so he could be with his family) and Bret definitely has his....rough edges, but is mostly a decent guy.

Not sure how else to put this, but. Uh. Are the rest of the Harts scumbags?

I forget which Hart it was but my wrestling teacher stayed with him. Place was filled with house flies and this Hart tried cooking roadkill for breakfast.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Might have been Smith Hart, who is such a monumental fuckup he got thrown out of the house

That's the one.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't he also shittalk Jeff Cobb and War Machine?

I remember the Jeff Cobb poo poo talking, how he'll never make it in Japan cause he has no fire.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Earl Hebner used to kick people if they didn't stop for his five-count because he's an rear end in a top hat.

I don't know if this is still taught in wrestling schools but I know at one point it was, if a wrestler isn't listening to your count instead of throwing the match or ignoring it and looking like an idiot, just kick the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Sami Zayn has come a long way from his early IWS stuff, can't imagine how rough his rural quebec/mcfly stuff was.
Joey Janela is another one, you can find his first match on youtube.