Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone tell me a good story about wrestlers being weirdos because of kayfabe or an interesting fact about back stage things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The sleaze thread is :popeye: and I will read the whole thing but any stories that aren't quite so :yikes:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's pretty accurate. IRS is a good worker, he went balls deep to make the character work, but was still a wrestling accountant. Which is patently absurd.

I think that gimmick was pretty much lifted from The Simpsons, too, or at least the chronology makes it plausible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Edge & Christian posted:

If you're talking about The Iron Yuppie, that was from a March 1993 episode of the Simpsons, which was nearly two years after IRS debuted the gimmick in WWF. When the episode aired, IRS/Ted Dibiase were reigning tag champions and poised to defend their belts against Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake in three weeks.

Ah I got it mixed up with the wrestling appearance in "Bart the Daredevil" which was from 1990

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nick Jr. Face posted:

AEW is going to debut a wrestler called The Accountant

I already predicted this in greater detail. It'll be Bray Wyatt taking up the family gimmick and he's going to start by feuding with Matt Hardy and auditing the HFO's books.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rujasu posted:

In between these two, the Hardyz won a tournament against E&C to win Terri Runnels as a manager. The day after, Gangrel announced he had "scored" with Terri while the others were wrestling, all 4 guys beat him up, and the Hardyz left with Terri. She was their manager for like, two months? It's all about as bizarre as it sounds and Terri fit about as well with the Hardyz as you would expect. They tried so hard to find a mouthpiece for those two. Lita wasn't that, but she was a much better fit with the guys and was actually over with the crowd.

I stopped watching WWE in 2001 or so, and to me it's really weird that Lita is remembered as someone who has that kind of role - I have a fairly distinct memory of her first (or at least one of her first) live arena speeches and it was extremely bad. She had some of the worst stage fright I had ever seen from a wrestler, and she didn't even really seem to understand how to talk into the mic. She didn't speak live in front of the crowd during the time I continued to watch.

It's cool that they gave her the opportunity to improve.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spuckuk posted:

Incidentally, it's a REALLY good documentary

Isn't that the documentary that lays out all of its evidence that American masculinity in pop culture and physical culture is a gigantic toxic mess that fucks men up and leads them towards anxiety, depression, body dysmorphia, disordered eating and exercise, and then through that into violence, suicide, and further destructive behaviour, but then in the end turns 90 degrees and says "steroids are pretty cool I guess idk why everyone gets upset about them."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's wrong with the Dudleys? The Dudleys were loving awesome, unless there's something about them I don't know.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ah ok. I only know them from that short period in the early 2000s where they were loving awesome, it seems.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenny sold some brain confusion from blows to the head in a way that made me laugh last night

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Way back when Jericho first came into WWF, why did they call his jumping finisher an "offsiding springboard moonsault" instead of "Lionsault"? And did he ever get to call it that in WWF/E? And were there any complications with AEW calling it "Lionsault"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My buddy paid HTM like $300 to show up at an event and guitar him out of nowhere

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sticklefifer posted:

I really hope it wasn't a wrestling event and had nothing to do with him. Like it'd be the perfect way to end a big presentation at a conference.

It was for his pre wedding social. I'm not even sure the bride knew

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea nobody is saying gently caress John Cena or HHH the person, reigns of terror imo are categorized by one person constantly going over at the expense of everything else to the point it makes the product stale because everyone else on the roster looks like a dummy for a long period of time. Like at this point I don't know if Roman reigns could count as a reign of terror because it's not like the rest of the product even has good enough booking to say that if WWE didn't just book reigns as the best coolest and most unbeatable tribal chief that they'd probably make a better product.

Whereas with HHH/Cena outside of the main event there was cool stuff happening, and even the booking involving Cena would be good if they sat back and went "look we have to have competent foils otherwise who cares if Cena notches another victory"

Posting as an only occasional WWE observer and only a recent AEW watcher, Roman Reigns is definitely a reign of terror. HHH was already exhausting before the original brand split, which was when I stopped following WWE regularly 20 years ago. Now when I go "oh some WWE is on lets see what's happening" and I see crap like the recent Finn Balor thing where they basically bend the universe back on itself to give Roman the win and the broadcast acts like everyone is enjoying what they're seeing. The product as a whole feels like the goal is to keep Roman on top, and to make sure that none of the other talent on the show is given a chance to outshine Roman, so everything is dragged down to his level. That's a worse reign of terror than HHH (and again, I only saw the very beginning of that) where we at least found wrestlers we liked and enjoyed their runs up to challenge him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

I know we laugh about Vince et al being horrendously out of touch, but I can't imagine anyone in that office honestly thinking the following two thoughts about the LOD at the same time in 1992:

1)"The LOD need help getting over as baby faces"
2)"A puppet is the perfect vehicle to get someone over in 1992 as a baby face"

Speaking as someone who was a) watching wrestling in 1992 and b) at a school in 1992 where everyone watched wrestling, Legion of Doom was so loving over with us that we weren't even sure what was going on when we hadn't seen them for a while. We just thought LOD (and the Bushwhackers) were among the coolest people who had ever loving lived. They were perfect and there was no need then to tinker with anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AHHH BILLY rear end AND THE rear end BOYS

And Billy wears a shirt that says "SONS OF THE GUNN" with that crossed out and rear end BOYS scrawled above it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm imaging Eddie Kingston talking to the dude before the match to plan spots and being like "I can put you over, but you might not like it."

Anywhere that I can watch that match?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A stable also needs a hype man or a stooge

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What was the match where Jericho bled buckets in Tennessee as per Eddie Kingston's promo the othe rnight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I did a rewatch of all the Raws from 97 til 99 a few years ago and it's obvious Jeff Jarrett was one of the three blonde midcard guys (the other two being HHH and Billy Gunn) Vince was going to push to the moon after the summer.

Thank god Jarrett out-carny'd himself otherwise we might have ended up with Stephanie McMahon-Jarrett.

I typed up and deleted a post about this because I couldn't find the right words, but it boiled down to me feeling the exact same way about JJ in this era's intercontinental title/midcard picture as I did about HHH in the main event/world title picture - I just hated seeing them on my tv at all and, in the case if HHH especially, it was what drove me away from wrestling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love Abadon and I have a whole headcanon storyline for developing her gimmick and getting her more interactions with other wrestlers. It involves Jade Cargill, Mark Sterling, and Danhausen.

e. and Silver and Reynolds, at least for part.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In the Britt match the story was that Britt couldn't beat up abadon but she could out wrestle them for a three count, especially with the help of some distraction.

The bag shoulda had teeth in it though not thumbtacks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

He's a funny man, broke his leg last Halloween, before that he ended up on ROH during the Pandemic, they basically treated him like a comedy low/mid carder and teamed him with PCO so it's kinda a skippable period if you don't know much about him. Before that he ended up with an interview with Conan due to a casting call. Before that he was on the indy scene, has a vlog, did comedy stuff.

As far as his skills go, pre-injury I would say his pure wrestling skills where above average, but nothing that would wow you alone in AEW. If AEW treats him the opposite of RoH I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the position that Orange Cassidy is in currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVnF-1R7Sq8

Presumably he's going to lose to Hook but I hope that he has a good, competitive match with him.

Love that Danhausen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AEW women appear regularly enough on GCW. I've seen Rosa and Ruby there, that i can remember offhand.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

projecthalaxy posted:

yeah but Luchasaurus literally goes "bleh" instead of cutting promos so who cares about that

aPpLeS

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh goddamnit, never mind. I need to stop asking these questions. I'm sorry.

Every wrestler except Riho and Mick Foley are bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yoga exercises are fine and good in and of themselves but I can't handle the pseudoscience and woo that permeates the entire scene. Plus there's quite a few scammers and sex pests in yoga, too. Bikram of Bikram Hot Yoga being another.

The longest I ever got into yoga was when I found an instructor who only talked about physiology and nothing about "energy" or "spirit", using words like "effort" or "focus" instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that and you're taking lessons from the wrong source

:nms: :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeYSOZc6IVQ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sticklefifer posted:

The costumes are so budget too. I couldn't stop laughing for the entire match after Hulk (fez_machine's avatar) busted through the "brick" wall.

El furioso! El furioso IN DA HOUUUUUUUSSSSEEE

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

That man in the white trunks looks like Sméagol.

delete this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EdsTeioh posted:

Leave it; just send it to Suzu and it'll sort itself out.

I was trying to keep the poster safe from that very danger before someone quoted it and it was too late

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

flatluigi posted:

even then i think there's smart decisions being made about it in the overall mess. there's a world where sammy and tay were still faces and still being booed out of the building instead of making the pivot, and frankie has a real fun dynamic with sammy and tay in a way i'd like to see carried forward.... assuming that moty goes over sunday and frankie and sammy are genuinely out of the tnt scene

That dynamic is great. I love how Frankie is like "sigh I hate you two so much but the enemy of my enemy... loving poo poo I can't wait to finish this so I can get as far away from you as possible."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerry Lawler with literally anyone. He's so terrible that he just drowns out whatever else is happening in the booth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's not even what Lawler says - it's the shrill cackling voice that turns me off. That the shrill cackling voice spews the dumbest possible nonsense constantly just multiplies the agony of listening to Jerry Lawler commentary from the Attitude era.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't follow it that closely when it happened but reading recaps makes me think that the WCW treated heel/face turns as the plot rather than as reconfiguration when plots ran out of steam.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lamuella posted:

The Renegade Twins are occasionally repping the sisters side of things.

I actually cheered when they got a win :kimchi:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack Evans took a really bad botch bump a weekend or two back on a GCW show which resulted in him cancelling some appearances.

https://twitter.com/Aregularindyfan/status/1538322834749022208

It doesn't show it, but basically Ninja Mack goes to pick him up, looks at Evans, and immediately pins him to end the match abruptly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have any examples of botched 3 counts? Like a wrestler is concussed from a bad bump and then kicks out of something that was supposed to be a match ending fall?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have quite a bit of experience teaching kids to grapple.

Usually under 8 years old there's no point teaching anything than tumbling / agility-balance-coordination stuff to a general class. Especially under 6 is a gigantic waste of time and energy. With certain exceptions, a "good" kid in these ranges will learn breakfalls and be able to recall techniques when they're demonstrated to them as a prompt. The only significant benefits will usually be achieved in gamifying fundamental movements. Sending most kids this age to a judo/wrestling/bjj class will be close to identical to sending them to a gymnastics class.

8-9 year olds can pick up/recall macro techniques but they're not really capable of making technical adjustments or refinements. For example, you can tell a kid this age "grab side control" and they'll know what you're talking about, but they won't usually remember "use your shoulder to make them look away from you and it will be harder for them to escape." If you get reps in with a kid this age and then prompt them, they can often perform well, but they need those prompts. E.g. I can explain to a 9 year old "be squirmy and keep moving with bridges and shrimps when you're being held down and get your legs in between" and get them to practice it a bit and they'll get it, but they won't do it until I yell "Rowan! Remember to be squirmy!" and then they'll start doing it, usually quite well.

Somewhere from age 10-12 you can start teaching real techniques to kids, and from there they'll be pretty similar to adults as far as the mental stuff goes, with the usual adjustments for attention span and developing strength.

12-16, depending on the athlete development, you can start getting benefits from supplemental strength and conditioning, and it's not even really worth doing elite-pathway sport-specific specialty training under 18. General fitness is more important and competitive performance in the mid teens is not a good indicator of long-term competitive success.

Instructor ratio also tends to double every age category. One instructor can handle 20-24 adults, 10-12 teens, 6-8 8-9 year olds, and at most 3-4 <8 year olds.

The exception to all of this is how much individual attention and reinforcement you're willing to give. You can push a kid up one category here, but it takes an order of magnitude increase in instruction and attention. I've seen a 5 year old become technically proficient at morote seoi nage and sode tsurikomi goshi - throws that can be difficult for intermediate adults to learn - but she had a parent and four older siblings in judo, so she essentially had a 5:1 instructor ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've noticed the guy wearing the box but I just assumed it was a fan being cheeky