Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

quote:

what is everyone's single favorite chop? not chop sequence, one chop

I've never even seen this match but the sound on it is just beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ghrTfUPrdI

I know for a fact that the loudest one i've ever heard was in a Suzuki match but I can't for the life of me remember what it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t025fmkPY4c

Willie Mack more like Willie Smack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When Sid had his “winning streak” during the Goldberg feud was it played up seriously or tongue in cheek?

It was never taken seriously.

The man would come out to the ring after matches and powerbomb people, pin them and add them to streak.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Deathlove posted:

That's not true, it's Jody Fleisch. He didn't die because he's made of whatever Jack Evans is made of.

Rubber and anti-gravity particles.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Michael Cole was actually a good commentator on Brock Lesnar's Big Japanese Holiday Show but I suspect that was again a case of Vince not yelling in his ear and it being a glorified house show.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'm explaining some pro wrestling history to my boyfriend now that he's huge into AEW so I wanted to ask the experts for some examples:

What's Arn Anderson's best match?

What's Tully Blanchard's best match?

What's the best match/clip to show off the original Four Horsemen?

Arn was mainly a tag team wrestler so all his great matches are going to be tag matches but here goes:

Arn Anderson/Ole Anderson vs. Rock n’ Roll Express - Starrcade 1986. Cage match.
Doom vs. Arn Anderson/Barry Windham (Street Fight) - Starrcade 1990. Street fight.
Ric Flair/Arn Anderson vs. Brian Pillman/Steve Austin (2/3 falls) - Clash of the Champions 23.
Ric Flair/Arn Anderson vs. Vader/Steve Austin - WCW Saturday Night - November 13th, 1993.

and of course, Arn and Tully was the main tag team in the Four Horsemen and they had a bunch of good to great matches.

As mentioned, definitely watch the Tully vs Magnum TA "I Quit" cage match from Starrcade 85. That is a brawl and a half.

As for something showing off all the Horsemen, you can't go wrong with the Wargames matches they're in.

Promos and stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIjm063yyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4j7jHUyf0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvF9l13WK2s

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm bad with money, so if I want to buy like old NWA/WCW wrestling figures or japanese ones is all just ebay or are there any other good sites that sell them?

(I'm in europe for shipping purposes)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's also super telling watching the guys receiving the elbows. The reactions of the dudes in the latter part of the video are so much more true to life of a dude landing on top of you, especially one where he just elbows DDP in the gut instead of landing on the chest. Never really noticed the change before, but I also checked out on all of his stuff in WCW anyway at that point.

Savage landed really rough on Lil Naitch in a match in WCW and collapsed his lung and cracked several of his vertebrae.

and I'm pretty sure he never apologised for it either.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Web Jew.0 posted:

Does anyone have that Big Daddy V meme where Big Daddy I to IV are previous gimmicks?q

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
"Shooter" Mark Curtis was the best referee.

"Pee Wee" Randy Anderson was good too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A few years back Austin said that he could probably do a full year on the standard WWE schedule but then he wouldn't be able to walk afterwards.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I assume the corner cannonball is much the same. Not really a lot of ways to not crush a guy when you're just flinging yourself at him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

rujasu posted:

Agreed, though maybe I'm biased from years of watching Nitro the next day on a well-used VHS tape. But yeah, WWF just had a way of making everything look cooler, sound better, etc. I don't know if they brought more crew & equipment to the arena, but they always seemed to have the right angle when there was a big spot, etc. Even little stuff like showing the Titan-Tron videos full-screen when guys came out. Remember that brief period where WWE brought the nWo in, and they did that lighting effect for their entrance? WCW wasn't going to do anything that impressive.

WCW had by far the best ring sound though. Such a good noise when the wrestlers hit the mat.

Also, I always felt that WCW was produced and presented more like a live sporting event whereas WWF was more of a glossy tv show.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The referees aren't supposed to be dramatic! They aren't the focus of the match.

Also, keep in mind that Tony kinda lost his motivation pretty early on. Basically, when Bill Watts retired, Tony and JR were the leading candidates for the job of executive producer but WCW went with Eric Bischoff instead. That led to JR going to WWF and Tony being disillusioned and kinda bitter about the whole thing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
uhm .. the WCW invasion?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jerusalem posted:

I remember that there was a team called The Jung Dragons, but not anything else about them (and certainly not that they had a.... manager? Valet? female wrestler as a wider part of their stable?) .... was one of them in 3 Count too?

Jamie Noble (in a mask) was part of The Jung Dragons and after they split up he was in a tagteam with Evan Karagias from 3 Count.

The other two members of Jung Dragons might also be familiar to you. Jimmy "Wang" Yang and Kaz Hayashi

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn’t that when Taker opened his coat to reveal a sort-of Confederate flag?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I read a thing that according to Bruce Prichard, Undertaker didn't like the flag.
Vince apparently wanted him to do it at all the shows, and then one day he shows up without the flag coat and tells Vince that it had gotten ruined, so he'd just be using his normal coat.

edit: someone on reddit, so who knows:

quote:

According to Bruce Prichard, Undertaker absolutely hated the coat thing. Vince wanted him to wear it at every TV up to Survivor Series. Taker came to the next TV after this without it and Vince asked what happened to it. Taker said, "My dog chewed up the lining. It's the craziest thing. He only ate the lining.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 17, 2020

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Here in the UK, I've heard a surprising number of people confuse the Betsy Ross flag with the Confederate flag. I usually forget her name and just call it "the old American flag". I don't get why Taker had it as opposed to the normal flag though, it just looks weird.

Prichard may be full of poo poo but that said, ALL-AMERICAN TAKER came completely out of nowhere and didn't fit him at all*, so I can imagine Taker himself being hesitant about it. It reminded me of when Warrior suddenly started wearing gear with the American flag on it whilst he was feuding with Slaughter, it made no sense and it made the "it worked with Hogan so it should work again" aspect of it all especially obvious and shallow.

I don't know why Tatanka was replaced in the Survivor Series match. Maybe he was injured, but I imagine they also wanted to use the opportunity to build up Yokozuna/Taker. I'm glad they did, because the one redeeming part of that whole match is Taker no-selling getting his head slammed into the ring steps and Yoko making a :stare: face.

* Insert Bikertaker comment.

The Undertaker is really old ok, so he has an old flag.

He's supposed to be a like old time cowboy mortician or something.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's a literal website for licensing Andre stuff.

https://www.andrethegiant.com/licensing/

Whatever CMG Worldwide is, they seem to be the people handling the rights.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Cage signed a WWE developmental deal like 10-12 years ago, but left/was released after a year. So either he didn't like it or they didn't like him enough.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Flair-Vader match for Starrcade 93 was so good.

The entire build-up was basically just "Yep, Flair is going to die".

Originally the main event was going to be Vader vs Sid Vicious, but Sid got in that fight with Arn and got himself fired so they had to figure something else out and it became a Title vs Career match with Flair instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG116I6loT0

MrBling fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 16, 2020

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm pretty sure that if Roman left WWE he could find a niche in Hollywood as a budget version Jason Momoa.

Also, his friend Dwayne could probably pull some strings for him if needed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Randaconda posted:

Ricky was just about done at that time, his back was shot, so I don't doubt it

I don't know about, he had a great match with Flair at Spring Stampede 94

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did Ricky Steamboat ever turn heel?

The closest it ever got was the angle they did with Steamboat and Luger in 1989.

This was after the Flair matches and (face) Lex Luger, being the reigning US champion was angry that Steamboat was still the #1 contender even after losing to Flair.

So at Clash 7, the main event is Steamboat vs Terry Funk. Steamboat wins by DQ because Funk hits him with a microphone and keeps beating on him until Luger makes the save, only for Luger to continue beating on Steamboat after he has run Funk out of the ring. Now that was to turn Luger heel, but here's the weird part in all of this, Steamboat is mad of course and demands a NO-DQ match at Great American Bash. The match is made, but right before it starts Luger demands that the no-DQ stip is dropped, which is agreed to by the authorities.
Steamboat loses it and attacks Luger with a chair and loses by DQ.

Now nothing happened after that, because that was his last match in WCW for that run, he had some contract disputes with the company.
But it seems like they would have done something with his character, even if he wasn't outright turned heel they might make him a tweener of sorts.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Part of the Tony story in WCW is that he felt passed over in favour of Bischoff for the job as Executive Producer after Bill Watts left.

Jim Ross was also gunning for that job, and Bischoff getting it was what made JR leave for WWF.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Price Check posted:

Yeah, this is a great point and true across a lot of wrestling. Flair and Steamboat had, supposedly, hundreds of house show matches before their famous series in 1989. Guys had a chance to work each other a lot and that probably evens out the difficulty of calling it in the ring. The "Road To..." tags on NJPW shows seem to serve a similar function now. Guys have a chance to get in there together, works a few spots, get a feel for what crowds like or don't like before their big singles match at the end of the tour.

On the other hand, you have Flair telling George South (a great jobber in his own right, as in an actual talent) "Tonight, you're gonna be Ricky Steamboat" and then he went and had a near 15 minute match with him on tv, across an advertising break.
All because he was angry with Dusty for having to work that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ih_V2VM3Y

Flair didn't get that reputation for calling it in the ring for nothing.

My favourite bit of the story, and I hope its true, is that Dusty was fuming mad and in the break was yelling at Flair demanding an explanation and Flair just goes "I can't beat a guy like George South in 2 minutes, you know that"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

On that note, I wonder what everyone's favourite commentary team across any wrestling promotion is. I have a fondness for JR and Heyman: it lasted less than a year and Heyman was occasionally sleazy in the manner of Jerry Lawler, but most of the time they combined good play-by-play with legitimately insightful colour analysis, and they could be funny too. They seemed to really enjoy working together.

I think my favourite is a similarly short-lived duo of JR and Jesse Ventura in WCW.
Ventura was great as the heel commentator who would still give credit to faces while being completely internally consistent in his commentary.

Venture joined in february 92 for Superbrawl and JR left about a year later for WWF after Bischoff became exec producer in WCW.
Of course, Ventura was then fired in early 94 because Hogan was coming into the company.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Smoking Crow posted:

The first thing you have to know is Mexico City banned lucha libre from television in the 50s. That means that the largest market in market in Mexico had no wrestling on TV. Not many other states banned wrestling, but because Mexico DF had the ban, most everyone else thought it wasn't necessary to have TV either.

The second thing you have to know is Mexico City banned all women's wrestling in the 50s. I believe the reason was that it corrupted the minds of children. While this didn't stop other states, most notably Nuevo Leon, Baja California and Chihuahua, from having women on cards, it did create the mentality that women's wrestling wasn't very important.

So when you put this together, you have a world where very little is taped, and almost all of our knowledge of results, card lineups and "it was said to be a good match" comes from the wrestling magazines. These were varying levels of kayfabe, and almost all of them were based out of Mexico City. Mexico City magazines usually covered shows in the Mexico DF area and surrounding states with some lip service to the bigger shows in Monterrey, Juarez, etc. Together, this creates a world where magazines are the only thing you can trust, but they don't really cover outside of central Mexico and they do not care about women's wrestling.

This is why you don't hear a lot about Mexican women's wrestling at this time. Just not a lot of good sources. We do know who some of the bigger stars are because they would appear on some of the bigger mixed-gender cards in Monterrey, Tijuana, Jalisco and other hotbeds of Mexican indies. Three of the biggest names at this time are Vickie Williams, plus Irma and Lola Gonzalez (no relation). Irma Gonzalez and Williams would hold the UWA Women's title. Not a lot of tape of these two in their prime. We have tape of Irma later in her career when she's a legend, and we have tape of Lola from the mid/late-80s doing shots in AJW, but not a whole lot of stuff from inside Mexico.

I wish I had more for you, we just don't really have anything. In 1986, Mexico City lifted the ban on women's wrestling. This led to a bunch of belts forming, but none for CMLL until 1990. We have a lot more footage of wrestling from the 90s because Antonio Peña was very progressive and saw that women's wrestling was the future, plus CMLL had a working relationship with AJW. The one thing I can tell you about how wrestling looked in the heyday of the 70s: it was supposed to be a rougher style closer to Japanese wrestling. Kurt Brown talks about this on the Lucha World Podcast sometimes. Back then, there were no women only wrestling school, all women had to wrestle with the men. This means they wrestled closer to how the guys on Mexican indies did at the time, which means lots of technical wrestling, lots of brawling and lots of blood.

If you try to look at any Mexican wrestling from this period, you'll come across this lack of footage roadblock; I hope this is helpful to you at least

Lola and Irma worked some in Texas as well, in the early 80s in Big Time Wrestling/WCCW and there is tape of some of that at least.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
On the topic of the territories and TV, there's a really big what-if surrounding the aftermath of Black Saturday.
Mid-South Wrestling got shown on TBS in 1985 because Ted Turner was getting real mad about WWF not keeping their promises about the content of the show they would be airing and was one of the highest rated shows (or possibly their #1, I forget) shows. Bill Watts was in position to take over that 2 hour time slot that WWF was currently occupying with wrestling that people didn't want to see.
Except what happened is that Jim Barnett (the former Georgia Championship Wrestling promoter who had sold the timeslot to WWF/Vince in the first place) was working for WWF at the time and made a deal happen between Vine and Jim Crockett to sell the TBS time slot to JCP.

So we could have had a world where Mid-South/Universal Wrestling Federation would be the main promotion going against WWF.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Vagabundo posted:

Wasn't the programming broadcast also some real low-effort poo poo as well? Would things have gone differently if there'd been real effort put into the broadcast, with matches geared to appeal to the GCW fanbase?

When the Briscos and Jim Barnett sold their shares of Georgia Championship Wrestling to Vince, one of the promises he made was to provide original content, including shows taped at the TBS studios.

Now, Black Saturday was July 14, 1984. The first WWF show that actually had original programming was March 2, 1985.

Basically what Vince aired was a bunch of highlights from other WWF shows and house show clips. Needless to say, Ted Turner didn't much appreciate that and neither did the fans. On top of being recycled content, it was also very much the standard WWF larger than life, cartoon wrestling that the Georgia fans absolutely didn't want.
That's why Turner reached out to Bill Watts and gave him a sunday afternoon slot on TBS for Mid-South Wrestling.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Eat My Fuc posted:

What are the best Vader matches? I love Vader vs Sting but having trouble recalling my other favorites.

He had a couple with Sting and they were all good.

vs Sting at: Great American Bash 1992, Starrcade 1992 and SuperBrawl 3.

vs Cactus Jack at Halloween Havoc 1993

vs Ric Flair at Starrcade 1993. This is a title (Vader) vs career (Flair) match and the entire build-up to it was literally just WCW as a company going "welp, Flair is going to die" and Flair saying goodbye to his family.

He had some good matches during his 99/00 All Japan run as well, vs Kobashi and Misawa.

Really, you can just go here https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=132&page=10&sortby=colMeltzer&sorttype=DESC and take your pick.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

JOHN CENA posted:

why did barry windham's career basically plummet following him winning the WCW Championship?

Bad knees, primarily.

It's a shame too. He was, in my opinion, the best wrestler in the world in 1988.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There are a couple of Inoki Dojo shows floating around. I might be able to get my hands on these two.

quote:

March 6th 2004

New Japan Dojo Toukon II
Hollywood, California, USA
Hollywood Athletic Club

Tag Team Match
Minoru Tanaka & Tommy Williams vs. The Havanna Pitbulls(Ricky Reyes & Rocky Romero)

Singles Match
Jose Moreno vs. Ice Man

Singles Match
Brad Bradley vs. Cyrus

Singles Match
Cobra II vs. Chad Wicks

Tag Team Match
MAZADA & NOSAWA vs. Aaron Aguilera & Bobby Quance

Exhibition Match
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Ken Shamrock

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
Heat (c) vs. American Dragon

quote:

June 26th 2004

New Japan Dojo Toukon 5
New Japan Dojo
Santa Monica, California, USA

Singles Match
Bobby Quance vs. Taiji Ishimori

Singles Match
Babi Slymm vs. Samoa Joe

Tag Team Match
Adam Pearce & Brad Bradley vs. Eric Matlock & Tommy Williams

Singles Match
American Dragon vs. Joey Ryan

Tag Team Match
MAZADA & NOSAWA vs. Pinoy Boy & Ricky Reyes

Singles Match
Adam Pearce vs. Toru Yano

Ultimate Crush Rules Match
The Iceman vs. Kazuhiro Hamanaka

Singles Match
Bobby Quance vs. Joey Kaos

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
Heat (c) vs. Rocky Romero

Singles Match
American Dragon vs. Taiji Ishimori

Singles Match
Puma vs. Chad Collyer

ROH World Title Match
Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinya Makabe

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was a match with Mike Bell, you can find it on youtube if you want.

Basically, an armdrag went wrong and Saturn landed on his head and didn't like it. He threw Bell out of the ring in a way that caused him to land basically on his head too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, he trained people in WCW for a bit and he spent his wrestling money wisely, buying commercial properties and earning money from those.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
As much as we joke about all WWE fans being 50+ years old white guys, all the really crazy WWE twitter people seem to be younger guys that grew watching wrestling when WWE was the only thing going on TV.
WWE has been so successful at building this image in the US of "this is the way wrestling is and nothing else exists" that when a competitor comes along and does well it must be because they're cheating somehow or copying WWE, it certainly can't be because WWE is doing something wrong.

And thats how you get those insane takes about how they don't actually want wrestling from their wrestling shows.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DeathChicken posted:

Power and Glory was a fun team. Which is pretty incredible given one of those guys was Paul Roma

I think people are a little unfair to Paul Roma. He wasn't some great technical wrestler, but he could have been used better.
He had a decent look and could heel it up nicely. He was just that little bit too short for WWF at the time and so he became a jobber.
If he had come to WCW earlier he could probably have had an alright midcard singles career.

He shouldn't have been a horseman though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lamuella posted:

Honourable mention: I'm not too surprised that Barry Windham was in a five star match. I'm a LITTLE bit surprised he was in five of them.

You're surprised that the best wrestler in the world from 1985 to 1989 was in a lot of really good matches?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lamuella posted:

I'm surprised that he was the best wrestler in the world during this period as my knowledge of him is largely after this and The New Blackjacks weren't putting on too many mat classics.

Well my friend, you have some catching up to do. He had a really good series of matches with Flair.
For a guy his size, Barry moved incredibly well. Everything was so smoothly done.

First Flair match from Battle Of The Belts II a co-promoted show by NWA/JCP and Eddie Graham's Championship Wrestling From Florida.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6y1eOh3PQM

Second match:
They devote an entire episode of Worldwide Wrestling to just this one match between Flair and Windham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUUFuPFnwo

Finally, at the second Crockett Cup in 1987 they have another 5 star match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKAPJZqRdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, Brock was willing to go to court and the judge basically told WWE that they needed to come up with a really good argument or he would rule in favour of Brock.
That got a settlement going real quick.