Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Helicity posted:

Is there an effort post somewhere on how/why Inoki almost destroyed NJPW?

There's a video effort post on YouTube about Lesnar's njpw run, and the first half of the video is about Inoki's weird insistence on mixing mma with pro wrestling. For instance, insisting on having Hashimoto do a shoot fight but not telling him about it. Imagine Vince just feeding Roman to a legit MMA guy without even telling him it's a shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

Man if the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was Brock legit shooting on Roman with Roman completely in the dark that would've been quite the spectacle.

I suppose it's not a great comparison because I don't think Roman has actually been that much of a draw for WWE. Hashimoto was one of their top guys and the move of having him just get beaten to a bloody pulp by a nobody MMA fighter supposedly hurt his drawing power big time. I'm on mobile and don't feel like searching for the mini documentary on YouTube, but it should be easy enough to find.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sharparoni posted:

What is the most powerful move in wrestling logic? Does anything beat the Canadian destroyer off the ladder through a table from last weekend? Maybe a Burning Hammer would still beat that

Burning hammer from the top of the HIAC through the announce table.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Powercat. I like cats.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jarrett was above average during his later WWF years and into his WCW run. He did not deserve to be the WHC. But putting the IC title on him when he was in WWF was fine. IC title should be for better than average wrestlers.

His TNA run lmao though.

Edit: JJ is a "better than average" promo also. I say this, knowing that promos (at least during TNA) are like, bargain basement HHH rip offs from HHH's worst run, but I really think most guys suck at promos so even that puts him above most guys.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Permaban this garbage

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kennel posted:

I've never seen a Jeff Jarrett match :c00lbert:

I saw Sting and Christian vs Jarrett and (someone) LIVE in the IMPACT ZONE in ORLANDO FLORIDA.

I THINK it was Sting's like, big return match. I don't entirely remember.

I've deffo seen several JJ matches on TV.

Edit: Uh, I think it was Final Resolution 2006, which would mean I saw Tanahashi live but had no idea at the time.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You can sign up for southern states wrestling for only $4.99/month!

I gotta find a way to get a bunch of money then lose it all with a vanity indy fed.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Taichi and Kanemaru trying to sneak a dazed Suzuki off, Suzuki waking up and realizing "wait, I lost... gently caress YOU, I'M PAYING MY DEBT" and going back to the ring against the protests of his goons seemed like the most impossibly badass way to lose ever

and then he picked up the chair

and then swatted the chair already in the ring with the chair he grabbed

and then he put his chair down and shaved his own head

:allears:

This sounds awesome, is this on NJPW world anywhere?

Edit: I should have just googled before asking. Looks like it was at WK just a few years ago. Nice.
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00462_05

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 21, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Santino did Bloodsport and it loving ruled.

Didn't he say some not cool stuff on a podcast a few months back? Some "cancelled" stuff? I don't remember the details.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What wrestling moves have proven to be the most dangerous in terms of injuries?

It seems to me like catastrophic neck injuries seem to be most likely from power bombs(Hardcore Holly, Big Show, Droz all suffered big neck injuries here), tombstone style piledrivers (Austin, the guy Austin did it to), and aerial moves that involve flipping backwards (who was that FMW guy with the mask he was cool but he just loving planted himself on a lionsault. And this indy worker from limitless nearly got paralyzed from delivering a top rope poisonrana). Actually it seems like there are more high profile powerbomb problems than piledriver ones, which surprises me.

Almost any move can go very badly in pro wrestling, it's a dangerous show, but those seem like the worst offenders to me. Am I missing any?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Ric Flair has as always been referred to as 16 time world champion. His video from this week had 17 time champion on it. Which of Flair's 21 reigns have WWE decided to acknowledge? And why don't they count all his reigns anyway?

On the wikipage for NWA champions, it shows a period during 1982 where Flair lost the belt like 5 times to various people then the decision go reversed and he was re-awarded the title.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NWA_World_Heavyweight_Champions

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

More importantly, where's the lineal custody of Dominic?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The answer is the wrestling is good if Chris Jericho is involved.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

he "works with the NXT Brand"

WWE doesn't sign people to use them

question: does NJPW do Face/heel alignments? if so, what is Tomohiro Ishii (aside from awesome)?

Yes, but not every match is necessarily going to be heel vs face. Watch Jay White vs Ibushi from this year's G1 for some great heel/face dynamics.

Ishii is a face.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The tombstone had been around a while in wrestling, just nobody in NWA or WWE used it

Was it called a tombstone before undertaker did it? I always assumed the name related to his gimmick.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They're different things. That being said, lariat.

I've never been 100% clear on the difference.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I actually found the conclusion of the third fall in that blow off match very unsatisfying. The match itself was great but I hated the finish.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Same, it pissed me off big time back then. If we're talking about the Austin and HHH blow off.

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

I used to host ppv parties and always tried to get new people to come. The new person at that event was way into the match and then just deflated at the finish. I was already used to wrestling disappointing me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NWA Powerrr is pretty cool. Like, I don't know it's not a replacement for big arena type wrestling but it is a nice supplement. I can't imagine having NWA as the only show I'm watching but if you're following AEW and think like, what other show would I like to add to my wrestling menu I'd put NWA above all the other C tier leagues (ROH, Impact, MLW, probably more I'm not even remembering).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have no idea if this is legitimately true, but I've heard and seen in comic books that if you put a roll of coins in your hand it's almost like a brass knuckle effect if you punch someone. Has anyone in wrestling used that as a spot? It seems like it could be similar to a brass knucks spot, but then you could gimmick the roll of quarters to make coins spray everywhere and have a bigger visual.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Oh yeah, it's an old spot. Curt Hennig won the AWA World Title that way, Tully Blanchard beat Dusty Rhodes in a First Blood match at Starrcade 86 after walloping him with a roll of coins.

I just looked up both spots here. The Hennig one the coins stay put, the Blanchard one is more along the lines of what I had in mind. Owns.

Davros1 posted:

The only problem is often the coins go flying after contact, so the ref looks stupid when he sees the mat littered with quarters, an unconscious wrestler, yet still counts the pin.

Feature not a bug.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

rujasu posted:

Skip to the 5:00 mark:

I accidentally skipped to like 4:30 and man, Bischoff's karate poo poo was terrible.

So far the Tully one is the closest to what I'm picturing. Thanks everyone.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This is a fun question, I just decided to watch every IWGP title change to get more familiar with the guys I don't know. I'm up to Vader beating Fujinami but I can't find the rematch two months later online anywhere. I'm excited to get to the three musketeers era.

When I'm done with this I'm either going to do the same thing with the triple crown or the IWGP Jr belt. Or hell, probably both eventually.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh and the answer to the other question is No Mercy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

Back drop driver.

(Hey, at least you don't have to do anything.)

I don't think moves that have literally killed people should be considered easy to take.

Unless this is a joke about how we live in hell world and death is actually the easiest and best path forward. In that case yeah.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you want to see the Lucha style just watch any episode of CMLL free on youtube. It's pretty good, and despite the dynamism of the moves seems to protect the workers bodies a bit more than other styles. Maybe because they don't work 250 dates per year or get dropped on the top of their heads as frequently.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Do you ever use wrestling lingo in real life?

My friend used to have a cat named Popcorn and she was super sweet. But then for whatever reason the cats personality changed and she wasn't nice to guests anymore. I was gonna visit this friend and he said to me "by the way before you come over I gotta warn you, Popcorn turned heel."

(Popcorn attacked my head while I was sitting on the couch and she also pissed in my suitcase. But I still love her she's a good girl).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Naito v Okada is by far the biggest match they have to move tickets. They have protected it to an extreme degree going a whole two years without running it. Its the most likely match up.

It's true it's the biggest match they have, but if I think the venue will sell out before the 1/5 main event is known so it won't exactly sell tickets. Unless people are just assuming that it's Okada/Naito.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boss Man and Slaughter aredeffo the biggest of the "gimmick is a regular people job" group. Which makes sense because out of regular people jobs policeman or armyman are more realistically suited to hurt people than an accountant or dentist or whatever.

If Britt Baker is ever in WWE they should do some segment with Kane that winks at the Isaac yankem thing.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 20, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You have to be pretty tall to enter that way. Look at where the. Top rope lines up with a normal sized dude when they are on the apron.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So wouldn't that leave Okada with like, bruises and poo poo? They looked very real, but how does Okada appear the next night not looking like he'd been punched in the face for real?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

DDP wrestled like two weeks ago including a spot where he did a dive from the top turnbuckle to the outside.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Who is the highest profile active wrestler not to have ever won a singles title in WWE, NJPW, or AEW? This is a discussion I had a while back with my other wrestle chat, curious to hear your perspectives.

Second question does the RevPro title count as an NJPW title? This is an argument I had in my other wrestlechat when someone answered ZSJ to the above.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Before we poo poo on the brawl for all too much, remember that the entire reason it existed is because Vince Russo wanted to see Bradshaw get the poo poo kicked out of him. Truly, proof that good and evil reside in all of us.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

...really? I've always believed it was a way to bring Dr Death in and get him over as a legit tough guy

I don't remember where I heard this but apparently Bradshaw was talking poo poo about how he would win in a shoot against anyone and it pissed Russo off. I think they wanted Dr. Death to win, but the original idea was because Russo wanted to to see Bradshaw get beaten up and embarrassed.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm just such a mark Punk, I'd vote Cult of Personality the whole way through.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Since Billy Corgan bought the NWA are there any small time feds still associated with it? I thought of this question because of the NWA mountain state question above, which I do not have an answer to.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

People going into business for themselves happens. The Zbysco one mentioned above. Didn't Sexy Star shoot break someone's arm in a worked match? Also the time that tough enough kid tried to submit Kurt Angle on Smackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't know about the prevalence but I tend to prefer people with a wrestling background to people with a football background when it comes to pro wrestling.