Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

They also say wrestlers are an amped up version of their own personalities, so how retarded is Hacksaw Jim Duggan in real life?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I know a few "fiscally conservative/socially liberal" people, and knowing what I know about real life JBL he's probably that. Like they care about justice and regulations not oppressing marginalized people, but not enough to do anything systemic about it because that's expensive.

This is how Jesse Ventura got elected governor.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What happened to Jinder Mahal? I remember him being pushed to the moon, but wasn't watching WWE closely at the time and don't know how he ended.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Was there ever a segment on Nitro where an overweight Elvis impersonator got hit in the gut by a disco ball? Or did I dream that?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What are the coolest clusterfuck moments to end a show? I am talking about where nearly the entire locker room gets involved and everyone is pairing off with their rival. I know ECW used to segments like that a lot, but haven't seen WWE do it in a long time.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

basically right near the end of jinders reign, brock really wasn't interested in working with the guy for survivor series (because they MUST do champion vs champion every year) and they figured out that the social media and youtube hits jinder was getting was from clickfarms and not actually being super hot in India.

the combination of both these things made it real easy for them to just move the belt onto AJ who would belt pillow for the next 12 months

This is hilarious. Who was clickfarming Jinder if Indians didn't care about him?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Why were there so many injuries in the Brawl for All? I assume the injury rate in boxing and MMA isn't anywhere near that.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Gagne moved it to an office building in 1973 or 1974. There is footage of Chris Taylor outside, so it was at least partially there in 1973. Ricky Steamboat's class (1974) involved firemen's carries and the like up several flights of stairs.

I don't think Gagne had trained a full class in 10+ years in 1990, but yes that definitely was an invitation for Meltzer to get stretched.

Wade Keller has a story about when he first started our a wrestling journalist. I can't remember if it was Gagne or Brad Riggins, but one of them invited them down to their wrestler camp for a day to report on it and see what it's like. Keller was going to go, but got a warning call from a friend the day before telling him not to show up because they planned to stretch him.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Nobody was really trained for it, save for like Shamrock who didn't want to do it and Dan Severn who decided he had nothing to prove (and he was right) after winning his first round. Steve Blackman too but he had to pull out after a training injury. So you basically had a lot of big men flailing at each other, as likely to injure themselves as each other.

My favorite BFA story is still when the boys were being told it was anything goes at first apparently Blackman's hand shot up and he immediately asked if that meant he could low kick somebody to blow their knee out. They revised the 'anything goes' bit after that.

I just watched the Brawl for All episode of Dark Side of Wrestling. Bart Gunn looks completely different, and I really feel bad for the guy. He did everything they asked him to do, and they purposely put him up against Butterbean to ruin him. Vince just grinning when Butterbean told him Gunn had no chance against him was disgusting.

The only good thing that came out of it was Bradshaw getting destroy.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Was watching some old Nitros recently and got me thinking... was Scott Steiner legit loving his freaks?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Did Lex Luger really have a steel plate in his forearm?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What percent of the AEW audience follows NJPW?

Everyone freaks out when someone from New Japan shows up like they are a huge deal, but I have no clue who these guys are.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The people who freak out whenever a NJPW wrestler who they "don't know" debuts on Dynamite are all people who don't even watch AEW anyway.

I meant "freak out" as in "Yes!!! Jay White is here!" While I am thinking "Who the hell is Jay White?"

I am always surprised by the crowd reaction that NJPW guys get and wish they would do vignettes to explain why they are a big deal.

If I am in the m in minority though and most fans know who they are, I will shut up about it.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

What muscles or training do I have to do, in order to do a Kip up?

For most of my life I thought it was called a "kick up", which makes much more sense to me. Why is it called a Kip Up?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Who was the guy in WCW who banned moves from the top rope and removed the pads from ringside? I vote for him as worst booker.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Wow, great write up. I'd read a book of this with each chapter dedicated to a different wrestler.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Why has it become so much more popular to throw forearms than punches?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

scott hall was pretty good at worked punches

I look when Hook has someone in the corner and gives them alternating closed fist body shots.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there a name for this version of the Skyscrapers entrance theme? Or is it just generic music whipped up for them? I always thought it was one of the greatest big man entrance songs.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxcDK-PAVOiDcgOuQfvb35_YHi2_hZj99R

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

MrBling posted:

It's an actual real song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mEuIvfFCA

It was first used as the entrance theme for Undertaker when he was wrestling solo as Mean Mark Callous in WCW and then they just transferred it over to the Skyscrapers.

Awesome... thank you. I had no idea it was the Scorpions.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

The Logan Paul match got me thinking. What is the worst celebrity match?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was just listening to Kevin Nash today talking about how people come up to him and say things like "you were my favorite wrestler, your tassels were so awesome!"

Truly we see from these two examples that if you go all-in on tassels, you can have a good career without being a technically skilled wrestler

Who was the wrestler that Curt Henning would rib by pulling off their tassels during matches?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Why did The Nasty Boys shave their armpits? The pit stop move would have been much grosser and nasty if they had armpit hair.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I remember hearing someone (Pritchard?) say they brought in The Goon with no expectations of pushing him, they just needed an experienced hand on the roster to work with guys.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

How did they make the black ooze flow down Ultimate Warrior's face on demand?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'm just watching Forbidden Door now and the Tiger Driver 91 move scared the poo poo out of me.

What's the history of that move? Is that the way it's supposed to be taken?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I've always said the 2 axis of wrestling moves are 'looks good/looks like poo poo and 'hurts like a mfer/light as a feather'

My gold standard of 'looks poo poo/hurts' is usually Shane McMahon's punches, but that stomp isn't far behind.

so Shane-o-mac was shoot punching people?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

The talk about weightlifting got me wondering... Did Andre lift weights?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there a German that invented the German Suplex and it's named after? Same question for the Canadian Destroyer.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

He signed a 10 year deal for $250,000 a year (apparently), it was probably far cheaper to try and make him quit than fire him

Speaking of this... I just learned about the time they "ribbed" Henry be sending him out to the ring for a match with Sin Cara, only to not have Sin Cara come out. Henry eventually got pissed, left the ring and returned to the back only to find it completely deserted.

How is this supposed to be funny? Your comment about trying to get him to quit makes sense here, was that the point of it?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I remember reading Swoll had a $400k a year contract in WCW. Who has been the worst ROI?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

Potentially Master P as he was apparently on 200k per appearance. There's probably others.

Paying Kiss the licensing fee for the Kiss Demon and one gig comes to mind.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I know a lot of the manager type characters in AEW also have behind the scenes roles. What does Prince Nana do?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea to my knowledge the only onscreen talent with jobs beyond PR stuff is Aubrey with Games, CD with Talent Relations, and Bryce with Travel, Alex Abrahantes/Thunder/Angelico/Serpentico with spainish commentary, Jeff Jarrett for BizDev, QT and Sanjay Dut do backstage stuff.

I remember hearing Rebel was a makeup artists and Kawaza did something with Japanese relations.

Don't Brandon Cutler and Lucha Hype-man have some kind of other role too?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Not really a wrestling question, but has there ever been a shoot MMA style tag team match?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

And now let's hold it in the middle of an abandoned Discovery Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qBIXjXw7c

This sent me down a youtube rabbit hole... I had no idea there were so many weird and crazy Russian MMA fights.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

lol, I'd love to see the official rules for this.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What happened to ZZ from Tough Enough?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Does Dan Callis put makeup on his forehead scar to make it look worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Sandman from ECW posted:

I still think about the time Mike Awesome powerbombed an insane clown on his 70’s bus and then the insane clown slowly slid off the side and might have even died. Mike tried to save him :shrug:

LOL, I don't think I've seen this before.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gRRa1-VH3L4?si=E9g0byq6Qyi4m0D2