Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lamuella posted:

The Renegade Twins are occasionally repping the sisters side of things.

I actually cheered when they got a win :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
D-Von’s sons had a dark match or two wish we’d seen more of them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh yeah, I remember thinking they were going to become regulars. They definitely seemed like they had lots of potential

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

0konner posted:

D-Von’s sons had a dark match or two wish we’d seen more of them.

Yeah they seemed to have potential

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

That first match just became one of my favorite matches ever for real. I think this is one of the best forms of those matches Darby has a lot of lately where he just gets the poo poo kicked out of him for 13 minutes solid and then puts on some offense late. The major difference here is the clever use of reversals from generico throughout the whole thing so while CC looked dominant and put in 80% of the offense we're kinda primed to assume generico is just one clever counter away from th win.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Absolutely. Hell, I feel like Darby's gotten better in that exact way since his TNT run ended. More time off let him fix the formula, i think.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Did Lex Luger really have a steel plate in his forearm?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why do people rate Will Ospreay so much? I get he's talented but he's often touted as the greatest wrestler alive today, but he absolutely isn't. What (if anything) am I not understanding about him?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What percent of the AEW audience follows NJPW?

Everyone freaks out when someone from New Japan shows up like they are a huge deal, but I have no clue who these guys are.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Grey posted:

Yes according to what culture

"Lex's arm was broken horribly. The damage was so bad that surgeons had to implant several steel plates, rods and bolts between the bone to keep everything together. Somehow, his arm recovered and Luger was able to make the metal plating part of his Narcissist gimmick in the WWF."

https://whatculture.com/wwe/7-horrific-injuries-wrestlers-suffered-outside-the-ring?page=4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Grey posted:

Wait till you hear about Paul Bearer or Giant Gonzalez

That wasn't a costume

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why do people rate Will Ospreay so much? I get he's talented but he's often touted as the greatest wrestler alive today, but he absolutely isn't. What (if anything) am I not understanding about him?

well, you probably just have different tastes or think different from the people who say he's the best. for me, he's in the top percentile at execution, be it high spots or little things, the "Music between the notes" as some may put it. i think he's become a legitimate genius at getting the most out of a crowd depending on what kind of show he's working and what kind of match he's working. since turning heel his character work has been a lot better, IMO.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

yea ok posted:

well, you probably just have different tastes or think different from the people who say he's the best. for me, he's in the top percentile at execution, be it high spots or little things, the "Music between the notes" as some may put it. i think he's become a legitimate genius at getting the most out of a crowd depending on what kind of show he's working and what kind of match he's working. since turning heel his character work has been a lot better, IMO.

Oh yeah, I understand wrestling is subjective and everybody has different tastes - Ospreay's style isn't my cup of tea. But I still respect what he can do. I guess I'm wondering what puts him ahead of wrestlers like Fenix, Omega, Ibushi, Okada, Andrade, Shingo etc.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Besides that tastes differ…

I think (and this is just me) he stands out less as a heavyweight than he did as a junior. There aren’t many people as agile and showy as he was, whether or not you agree with Vader on the style. I like his heavyweight style better but even among people who work in that style I wouldn’t rate him over Andrade or Kenny.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Oh yeah, I understand wrestling is subjective and everybody has different tastes - Ospreay's style isn't my cup of tea. But I still respect what he can do. I guess I'm wondering what puts him ahead of wrestlers like Fenix, Omega, Ibushi, Okada, Andrade, Shingo etc.

at that point i think it really does just come down to taste. i would say that you should reconsider what you think of as his 'style', because he has proven to be able to do basically any type of match, similar to the omegas of the world. i can't read your mind so you may not be like this, but many people think that because he does flashy moves that's all he's capable of, and go into his matches with the preconception that he's just a highspot guy or an athlete, but his last few years have shown that he really is so much more. i'm not sure i'd say he's the best in the world for me, but he's definitely up there.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

People like flips

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4e5qc3

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The Grey posted:

What percent of the AEW audience follows NJPW?

Everyone freaks out when someone from New Japan shows up like they are a huge deal, but I have no clue who these guys are.

That's a hard question to answer without any study or research done, and I don't know if any has been made.
It's worth keeping in mind that the core of the founding wrestlers of AEW were all in NJPW or had appeared in NJPW, so people who were there from day one likely knew them from there. I remember thinking "Oh poo poo, the north american NJPW guys I like are starting their own promotion!"
So there's the people who only watched non-WWE wrestling before AEW that instantly came over who would likely be familiar with NJPW already, the people who stopped watching wrestling entirely and came back to check out AEW and stuck around, probably people who only watched WWE and decided to give AEW a shot and liked it, etc etc.

Basically it's hard to answer! Sorry!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The people who freak out whenever a NJPW wrestler who they "don't know" debuts on Dynamite are all people who don't even watch AEW anyway.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Kosmo Gallion posted:

At the very top percentile of wrestler it all comes down to preference. I think Okada is better than Ospreay but Ospreay is better than some of the people you named.

I think that Ospreay is perhaps more versatile than you are implying. If he's got a "style" it's new japan hw style but so do a bunch of guys you named.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The people who freak out whenever a NJPW wrestler who they "don't know" debuts on Dynamite are all people who don't even watch AEW anyway.

I meant "freak out" as in "Yes!!! Jay White is here!" While I am thinking "Who the hell is Jay White?"

I am always surprised by the crowd reaction that NJPW guys get and wish they would do vignettes to explain why they are a big deal.

If I am in the m in minority though and most fans know who they are, I will shut up about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not everything needs to be explained with a vignette.

The crowd going bonkers for someone tells the viewer who doesn’t know them “hey, this person is clearly a big deal because everyone’s going crazy, I should pay attention to them”. Then you will see them do the things they do and realise for yourself why they’re a big deal.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I have a group of friends who besides myself and one other person have paid minimal/no attention to wrestling since the Austin/Rock era and a bunch of them gotten into AEW (and some of them NJPW, GCW, etc.) since the pandemic, in no small part because Dynamite was something to all virtually watch together and chat about.

Almost to a person, when a wrestler debuts in AEW and the lapsed/new fans haven't heard of them (whether it's from Japan or WWE or the indies) and other people are like [OH poo poo, IT'S SUZUKI/KENTA/SWERVE/TONI STORM/NICK GAGE] their reaction is usually to assume that this person must be cool because the audience and the Internet and their friends are excited about it. They might ask questions like "so what's the story behind this person?" or start looking them up on YouTube. I am sure people exist who just immediately recoil from that and get grumpy. But information is readily available about almost everything, and outside of the wrestling bubble a decade and a half of Marvel and similar super successful film franchises seem to indicate the general public's response to "I have never heard of Thanos in my life" is more "people seem excited, I guess I'll figure out what the big deal about Thanos is" and not "some purple jobber showed up in this movie, who the gently caress is that, I'm never watching a Marvel movie again!"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

reacting is gatekeeping

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shard posted:

Yes according to what culture

"Lex's arm was broken horribly. The damage was so bad that surgeons had to implant several steel plates, rods and bolts between the bone to keep everything together. Somehow, his arm recovered and Luger was able to make the metal plating part of his Narcissist gimmick in the WWF."

https://whatculture.com/wwe/7-horrific-injuries-wrestlers-suffered-outside-the-ring?page=4

The part in Lex's book where he talks about the accident is gnarly. Says his lower arm was pretty much hanging on by scraps once he stopped hurtling through the trees.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Grey posted:

I meant "freak out" as in "Yes!!! Jay White is here!" While I am thinking "Who the hell is Jay White?"

this is basically my reaction, and im ok with it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
RE: hype vignettes to show why NJPW guys are a big deal, AEW did do a Countdown ahead of the PPV and it's really good. So people really can't claim they haven't done the work to promote these guys.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Ospreay's style isn't my cup of tea. But I still respect what he can do. I guess I'm wondering what puts him ahead of wrestlers like Fenix, Omega, Ibushi, Okada, Andrade, Shingo etc.
I think a lot of the reputation he gained is from when he was a Junior. Not to say he's gotten bad or anything, but I liked his style better before he bulked up. He was pretty much right on Ricochet's level except he could talk too.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The should have done more of the Countdown stuff on Dynamite. Too much posing in the NJPW vids not enough doing cool moves.

But the Countdown was pretty much perfect to build interest.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Grey posted:

I am always surprised by the crowd reaction that NJPW guys get and wish they would do vignettes to explain why they are a big deal.

If I am in the m in minority though and most fans know who they are, I will shut up about it.

Between watching a handful of NJPW shows over the years and osmosis from this forum, I have a basic concept of the NJPW roster, but enough to get excited when most of them show up. I would love to follow the promotion more closely, but there's only so many hours in the day and I've heard it's not really firing on all cylinders these days. But here's my understanding of the NJPW roster:

- Awesome rich guy who has great matches, but it takes like 20 times for him to put his opponent away with his cool clothesline finisher and his submission finisher kind of sucks.

- If the fearless leader of a superhero team was a middle-aged Japanese dude.

- A scruffy guy who is like if Orange Cassidy was less cartoony.

- nWo cover band that's been at it for waaaaay too long and is now led by Kano from Mortal Kombat.

- A goth guy whose name is an all-caps explanation that he's a villain, who shocked people by revealing that he's a villain. Then he won the title and made the product terrible.

- A grumpy old man with funny hair who loses a lot, but looks like he could take a shotgun blast standing.

- Prototype CM Punk, who died a lengthy, horrible death in WWE.

- A guy who looks like if you took a barrel, drew a face on it, and added arms and legs.

- Flippy guy who is so good at flipping that when he had a flippy match with the flippy guy that WWE regularly shits on, lots of old wrestlers and online wrestling fans hated it for being too flippy. He's also kind of a legit moron and sucks in real life.

- Jon Moxley beat up a kid so badly that he decided to adopt him against his will, finally giving me the Kim Kaphwan from King of Fighters storyline I've always wanted to see in wrestling.

- An Olympic wrestler who is strong enough to casually juggle elephants. I only recently became aware of his tag team partner, but holy poo poo this dude rules.

- Kenny Omega's exceptionally talented boyfriend who will never work in this town again for saying stuff that will get him murdered.

- Superhero joke character who likes butts.

- I have no idea who Yoshi-Hashi is, but he's apparently the worst.

And that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Yoshi-Hashi rules though

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm just the messenger.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also the grumpy old man co-founded modern MMA

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

- A guy who looks like if you took a barrel, drew a face on it, and added arms and legs.

Ishii is Strong Mad, not a barrel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

Ishii is Strong Mad, not a barrel.

John Silver, Ishii, and Marko Stunt could have been the On Point Kings.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I still want to see Ishii and John Silver, if not teaming, at least wrestling each other

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A stable with Ishii, Cobb, Rhyno, Silver, Quiet Storm, and Taz. Yuu from Sendai Girls/WAVE can join them too.

They can be called MEATCUBE.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
thanks for the brothers news everyone! it’s interesting that the tv execs don’t like the briscoes gimmick. i can understand not booking a homophobe, but their gimmick is cool imo. reminds me of some country as hell brothers i grew up around who weren’t homophobes

anywhozzles, trying to wrap my head around the current wrestling landscape, here’s what i have please fill in gaps if you are so inclined -

i stopped watching wwe around the time ecw came back, but not necessarily because ecw came back, so it seems hhh was in charge but isn’t anymore? i guess i don’t care about that much except as it relates to this: wwe kept on hiring indy stand-outs and leaving them on nxt but now aew is an option so that’s why i get to see the premiere athlete tony nese pretty much every week for free

aew was somehow formed by jay white, we all know tgis, and i can read about probably all the details on line if i wish, but if anyone wants to spoil the juicy parts i won’t tell

nwa got bought by billy corgan, wtf? i saw some stuff on youtube and kind of want to support what they’re doing somehow but i’m cursed with the knowledge that billy is a chud. we don’t need to get into politics because this isn’t the place, i was just watching some of corgan on an nwa show and am of the opinion that William Patrick Corgan is a gimmick so I started wondering if maybe he’s working people with his “politics?”

mlw seems like lucha underground 2? do they have any connections outside of who’s on the roster? lu was a lot of fun and it’s cool to see it live on in some fashion even if it’s just fanfic

speaking of lu, it was rad to find out who people like matanza are and see them wrestle today. swerve was killshot right? any other gimmick changes that might ‘freak my bean?’

finally, something i can google but i like the personal touch, hit me up with indies running in central texas and tell me about their shows you been to. thanks and please keep kayfabe if you see me at a show this summer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

party world rasslin
inspire pro
anarchy pro
heavy metal wrestling
gamechanger wrestling tours texas often

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Science of Suck posted:

speaking of lu, it was rad to find out who people like matanza are and see them wrestle today. swerve was killshot right? any other gimmick changes that might ‘freak my bean?’

Kobra Moon is now Thunder Rosa, the current AEW women's champion. She's gotten a million times better since LU and is now one of the best women's wrestlers working North America.

In fact, here's a quick rundown of all the big names from LU and where they are now.

Prince Puma/Ricochet: Got his WWE dream job and couldn't be more happy to be a Main Event superstar.

Johnny Mundo: Went back to WWE to be Miz's little buddy again, got released, is now working freelance with a couple of AEW shots.

Pentagon: AEW, former tag champs with Fenix. Currently doing a spin on his Pentagon Dark character as Penta Oscuro.

Fenix: AEW, former tag champs with Pentagon. One of the best wrestlers in the company when he's not injured every 4 months.

Matanza/Jeff Cobb: NJPW. Had a big breakout in 2020 when he joined United Empire and had a great G1. Japanese fans love them some beefy foreigners so he's in a cushy spot right now.

Mil Muertes: Mostly CMLL and a bunch of Mexican indies, basically the same thing he was doing before LU. Popped back up in MLW under the Mil Muertes name.

King Cuerno: Now Santos Escobar in NXT.

Brian Cage: Like most of Cage's career, he started off with a big push in AEW before fizzling out and becoming just another guy. Was seemingly on the way out, but is now in ROH as part of Tully Blanchard's new faction.

Sexy Star: Went back to AAA, got fired for shooting on Rosemary (long story), and is now retired for like the 3rd or 4th time. AAA has a new wrestler working under the Sexy Star gimmick.

Ivelisse: Got brought in to AEW as part of their women's tag tournament, quickly burned bridges for being an unporessional rear end in a top hat and pissing off the locker room, never got brought back. Now working SHINE, which is apparently still a thing.

Marty "The Moth" Martinez: Maybe semi-retired? He stepped away from wrestling for a while to deal with injuries and did just a couple of random indie shots since then. Worked some AEW Dark tapings last year but doesn't seem interested in signing.

Jake Hager: The last LU champion (lol) is Jericho's big dumb buddy in AEW. Nobody likes to admit it but he's been really good in his limited role.

Luchasaurus: AEW, former tag champs with Jungle Boy.

Taya: Went to WWE, got released less than a year later during the great NXT purge, now back in AAA and Impact.

Son of Havoc/Matt Cross: Somewhat surprisingly never got a look in AEW. Working MLW and a bunch of indies.

Jack Evans and Angelico: Two of the early AEW signees. Seemed like a fun tag team but for various reasons they never caught on and weren't offered new contracts.

Joey Ryan: We don't talk about Joey Ryan.

Benne fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 26, 2022

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
yeah friend, that’s the poo poo i crave! kobra moon is blowing my mind, had no idea that was her.

joey ryan did some poo poo? sad to hear. i gather quackenbush did something too which is another heartbreaker. gonna have to look up details at some point but it’s hard when it’s such a recent disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Killshot is also in AEW, he's Swerve