Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Back in the day, my friends and I used to watch Raw with a local wrestler. After a really early Cena match (like not long after he'd debuted), D-von rubbed Cena's face in the mat and local wrestler dude goes "Y'all see that? He's doing that to send a message to the boys in the back that that dude sucks." Is that a real thing? I've never heard that before or since, and I've asked a couple of other guys from our local scene about it and they'd never heard of that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure he's full of poo poo and Devon was just heeling

Yeah, about what I thought. Out of curiousity, I looked him up on FB and he's a total Trumper because of course.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I saw a video once of Warhorse doing his own paint, but it looked like he was using craft paint instead of those fancy markers that Rosa uses or whatever that was that Dustin did. Personally, I think it'd probably be a lot faster and easier to take an airbrush rig and make some stencils and do it in a couple of passes.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Why isn’t Chris Hero doing anything higher profile right now? Seems he’d be a lock for someone to sign even just in a backstage role.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

projecthalaxy posted:

Whatever bret hart match was in the Malcolm in the Middle intro

Wasn't the the B*noit Owen Hart tribute match?

Also, King Kong Bundy showing up as a member of the Bundy family in Married with Children.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I don't like K*vin S*llivan crawling the forums for references to his victims. </sarcasm>

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then he showed up as himself towards the end of the show's run.

He was on more than once?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, he played Peg's cousin or uncle early on in the series and then himself like eight years later.

OH ok; for some reason I thought that he was playing himself as that character or whatever. I dunno.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I don't think the Horsemen counts here since the group was still together, just swapping out the 4th member for a while. I'd point to their later WCW run with Benoit and Pillman and then Benoit and McMichael and the Jeff Jarrett drama where no one gave a poo poo about them as an example of how it doesn't succeed, doesn't really fail, but just no one cares. The later revival with Malenko was cool for exactly 1 week and then dead.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The little Evolution reunion worked, if only because it had to end before it got tiresome with Batista going back to his regular job. And I'm honestly not sure if the Horsemen would count, I'm leaning yes.

It was worth if for BLUEtista and also that awesome rear end 6 man tag with the Shield.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

pseudodragon posted:

Does the Hart Foundation count? The full Bret/Owen/Davey/Anvil/Pillman version was a hell of a lot cooler than the original Bret/Anvil team and all the other various tag team pairings that ran at different times.

I was thinking about them also. Didn't Bret/Jim get back together for a bit and win the tag belts after Bret's first run as IC champ?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't think they ever officially reunited as a team after their first run? Even with the full-fledged Hart Foundation reunion in the 90s, I don't think they tagged. Jim & Owen tagged in the early 90s, but never got anywhere close to holding the belts.

Yeah, you're right. I was spotty watching wrestling around that time but for some reason thought that Bret and Jim got back together after Bret's first solo run but it looks like him winning the IC title was about a year after they lost their second tag championship to the Nastys.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm inclined to say Eddie Gilbert even if he had a brief run in NWA/WCW.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MrBling posted:

Eddie Gilbert had televised runs in Continental (Memphis), Mid-South/UWF and USWA that were all very good.

I will agree that is very underrated and probably completely unknown by newer fans today because he never had that big run in WCW or WWF so nobody has any reason to bring him up really.

Eddie got so much heat in Memphis in 1990 by running over Jerry Lawler that people at home called the police to report it and Lawler had to go on TV pretending to be injured and say that he was ok because they thought Eddie might actually get arrested if he didn't do to that.

Yeah, he was down here in Continental when I was a kid and he ruled.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My best friend works in the IT dept at a college in FL and randomly found an old Global poster from an event there and sent it to me. Pretty cool poo poo, but I swear to god I don't think I know a single name on the event despite being pretty deep into wrestling since the mid-80's.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Rasta the Voodoo Man wrestled in BattleArts for a while if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Oh poo poo so that dude quit wrestling and became an actor and I guess also voices one of the main characters in Gears of War?

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 4, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Between WWE being a monolith and NWA still having a lot of talent when Global first set up shop, I'd imagine the pickings were slim

Well actually now that I dug this poster out, Del Wilkes was on this show, and so were Peggy Lee Leather and Bambi. I'm not sure who the others are, though. Here's a pic:

EDIT: Thinking about the 8 man battle royale as the main event, then looking and seeing that there are exactly 8 men wrestling down the card. That was pretty common in shows down here when I was a kid; was that common elsewhere on small shows?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I wonder if that's the same Ted Allen that was known as The Nightmare

Yeah, it appears so. That's really confusing since The Nightmares were a big deal back then but I don't think he was ever associated with those guys.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone have a link to that lucha match where a dog wandered into the ring and the rudos started selling for him and the crowd is chanting "Per-ro Per-ro?" Searching for that or "lucha dog" just brings up a bunch of Perro Aguyao.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Holy shitballz thank you AND I didn't even know my beautiful Japanese son was in this.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

So, this is more of a trading card question. How are those memorabilia, relic cards from Topps created?

Colt Cabana mentioned on a twitch stream that you stand in the ring, put on a 5XL shirt, and that's it. It's ringworn gear.

I know that for a lot of Football/Basketball/Baseball etc relic stuff like that, they print up a ton of the largest size jersey in the number 88, then have the players stand around and put a ton of them on at the same time (one over another over another etc), sign the one they're wearing, take it off and do the same to the next one, repeat. Topps (or Panini or whoever) take those shirts, cut them into little swatches and print that into a card. They use 88 as the number regardless of the player's actual number due to it having more surface area for contrast when they cut them up into the patches and also using the largest size to get more material for cutting up. They put them on like that for the technicality of "player worn" and all that. I'd assume that with wrestling it's pretty much the same; they put on a one of their merch shirts in the ring, take it and cut it up so they can promote it as "ring worn gear." Relics like the canvas from events (or like in basketball the wood from a particular arena's floor; that sort of thing) are possibly more "legit" I'd imagine, but it's possible that they just take an extra canvas and toss it on the ring and then give it to Topps.

edit: also I don't think anyone mentioned Sandman/Sandboy

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 25, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

sticklefifer posted:

Does Mankind count?

How about Regal, A Real Man's Man?

A Real Boy's Man? A Real Man's Boy? A real Boy's Boy. Lad's Lad.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Pretty sure that's gonna be Rey Mysterio Jr; I think he was 19 When he had that banger with Juvi in 1994 (who's only like a month or 2 older than him).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

And that's not his first ***** match!

Yeah it was; it's from a AAA show Nov 30 1994; not the one from Big rear end Extreme Bash in '96.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

Trios vs Heavy Metal, Picudo & Psicosis was his first.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gc4kl

Oh crazy; I didn't even see that one! Thanks!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

For what it's worth, my best friend and his wife are both yoga instructors with varying levels of new age poo poo in their lessons and were both really impressed with what I showed them from DDPY videos. Basically their opinion is that it's actual good yoga with dumb bro marketing. They also commented that people that do intense yoga for a long time end up with "yoga body" which apparently DDP has big as poo poo.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Barry Bluejeans posted:

did they share what some of the distinguishing features of yoga body are?

1.) newfound ability to spit flame and teleport short distances

Mainly stretching arms really far.

For real, I think it's the way your chest ends up developing in a weird skinny but toned way as opposed to big meaty titties on weightlifters (basically Kofi vs Big E; no, I'm not sure of Kofi's a yoga guy, but it wouldn't surprise me).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fun fact, this ban was only overturned LAST YEAR. The ban was only for public schools though; not like yoga in general was illegal.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

At some point by his own admission, TAKA was apparently more comfortable communicating in Spanish than he was in Japanese.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

As a dude that loved old Japanese MMA, I absolutely adored this match. Thanks for reminding me.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CommonShore posted:

delete this

Leave it; just send it to Suzu and it'll sort itself out.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CommonShore posted:

I was trying to keep the poster safe from that very danger before someone quoted it and it was too late

He deserves it though with those kinds of comments.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alaois posted:

Ivory started in GLOW

I haven't watched any actual GLOW in a while, but from what I remember, she was one of few that was actually good in-ring.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Elephant Ambush posted:

She was Tina Ferrari and you are correct

That's right! Who was her tag team partner? Debbie Debutaunt?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Pretty sure he was doing those in Stampede though. I *wanna* say that the Stunner is since all of the variations I know of before SCSA were opponent's face to the mat instead of the shoulder (Johnny Ace style).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Nova, obviously (/sarcasm)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

edogawa rando posted:

I also recall some sort of conflict which saw one of the biggun's from back in the day get pushed out of NJPW as a result of some arguments that stemmed from this sort of thing (I want to say it was Hashimoto?).

Yeah it was Hash. He was going to (storyline) leave and start a separate fed and feud with NJPW but then got released for real for reasons someone else can explain because I really don't know. He then ended up taking that name/idea and actually starting Zero-One.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

davidbix posted:

If the real story behind Zero-One is out there, is hasn't been translated to English. It absolutely started as a worked NJPW offshoot promotion, with Yuji Nagata teaming with Hashimoto in the main event of the first show. SOMETHING changed pretty quickly, but if anyone knows what, they're keeping quiet. Steve Corino was Z1 office from pretty early on as foreign talent booker and he's always sworn that whatever it was that happened, nobody ever told him.

Weird! That Hashimoto/Ogawa thing is a shoot though, right? Like Hash was legit ambushed in that sloppy rear end match?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan and Hart only wrestled on two WCW house shows as an emergency replacement. I think both were in California.

He had some good matches with Flair. The Havoc 94 match is probably the best. One of the Vader matches is pretty good too. The Goldberg match is also the best poo poo ever.

Hart and Hogan had a house show match in Pensacola, FL and tbh it was REALLY loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

Looks like there were 5 house show matches during that run. My mistake.

(And a Nitro match that I remember not really being a match so I wouldn't count it.)

I don't know if any of the matches were announced or promoted on that house show loop. In fact, I don't think ANY matches were announced for that one and it was just like "come see 'rasslin at the civic center; all your favorites!" I don't think Hogan OR Hart were announced as appearing. Now that I think about it, it seems pretty par for the course for WCW around that time. We were able to score ringside seats pretty easily, too.