Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

PublicOpinion posted:

He was entranced by Sonny Kiss during a battle royal in the early days, and incensed when MJF eliminated Sonny.

Apparently he said something like "if I had an rear end like yours my singles push would've been successful" to Sonny later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I enjoy the degree of self awareness Billy has. Feels like the days of the Voodoo Kin Mafia are way behind him.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Shelton Benjamin is super bland but I always loved his matches.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

what are some wrestling related books you’d be interested in reading that aren’t currently available for sale, subjects, concepts, book styles etc?

I’d be interested in a book that would detail how various wrestlers put matches together. Ring psychology, spot planning etc. Some of my fav pro wrestling vids ever are those Stone Cold ones where he does live commentary on the Bret and Rock matches

Also would like to read a book on refereeing. Not a referee’s biography but the role and functions of referees and how it’s evolved and changed over the years, how promotions differ and so on.

Maybe these books already exist in some form, if they do lemme know!!!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Seams posted:

I always *think* I’m bored by Goto but then I watch his matches and they always draw me in.

You're not the only one. I know we call him "Chokey Hirooki" but he is a fantastic wrestler who has great matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coaaab posted:

Maybe I'm not telling either of you anything you don't already know, but since last year, I've been really enamored with this puroresu history thread that covers material from Rikidozan's death up to the 90s, trying to condense and organize massive histories into palatable summaries. And if you find the summaries a bit thin and can read Japanese, the OP does helpfully point out primary sources and articles. The OP is starting to formalize those posts into an ongoing blog, but there's not too much there right now.

I've not actually looked at PWO in a long time so that had passed me by. I just started having a look at the blog and man, there's some cool poo poo there just in the footnotes.

"Yasuhiro Kojima was a young JPW wrestler who had already lost his respect for his boss when, one day in 1957, Rikidōzan insisted on joining him for a workout. The two grappled, and as Rikidōzan failed to take Kojima down, he lost his temper and said that Kojima needed to become a high-ranking sumo wrestler before he would be a “real” pro wrestler. Kojima shot back that he didn’t need a sumo background to become an American-style pro wrestler and killed his own career for defying his boss. That is, until 1960, when an old friend of his mother who had emigrated to Peru helped get him in contact with promoter Max Aguirre. By the time Kojima returned to work Japan in 1966, he had adopted the stage name Hiro Matsuda."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
When someone says a match is "masturbatory," like the HHH/HBK match at SummerSlam, what does that mean?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
To me it means a match that the wrestlers are, or seem to be, enjoying more than the audience. It could also mean an over-reliance on melodrama that doesn’t connect to the audience. Obviously this is all very subjective.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

When someone says a match is "masturbatory," like the HHH/HBK match at SummerSlam, what does that mean?

That it's more done to entertain the two wrestlers in the ring or to prove something than to entertain the crowd. I don't broadly agree with that for the Summerslam match but the 3 Stages match definitely crossed into that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every match where triple h did a pedigree in the first couple minutes and then both wrestlers acted dead for the remaining 20 minutes. trying to force an "epic battle" without actually trying to put one together for the audience. that's what a good match is. i don't know what masturbatory means

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

their hell in a cell match is pretty awful

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Self indulgent might be a better term. Those HHH/HBK matches start great (SummerSlam street fight, 3 Stages of Hell, Raw from Texas) but by the time they arrive at their Last Man Standing and abysmal Hell in a Cell matches, nobody in the world cared except Hunter and Shawn. They're stinking up the ring in these forced "epics". That HIAC match is 47 minutes long and nothing memorable happens. Plus that match went on over Benoit's first PPV defence of the title, because despite the feel good story of Chris Benoit's hard work and finally winning the big one, Vince decided it was HHH/HBK the audience really wanted to see.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I haven't watched any shows he's commentated on in while - how's Matt Striker as a commentator now?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Kevino07 posted:

I haven't watched any shows he's commentated on in while - how's Matt Striker as a commentator now?

Still very bad and annoying

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For the longest time I thought Matt Striker and Matt Cappotelli were the same person and it explained just how bad his commentary was.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Self indulgent might be a better term. Those HHH/HBK matches start great (SummerSlam street fight, 3 Stages of Hell, Raw from Texas) but by the time they arrive at their Last Man Standing and abysmal Hell in a Cell matches, nobody in the world cared except Hunter and Shawn. They're stinking up the ring in these forced "epics". That HIAC match is 47 minutes long and nothing memorable happens. Plus that match went on over Benoit's first PPV defence of the title, because despite the feel good story of Chris Benoit's hard work and finally winning the big one, Vince decided it was HHH/HBK the audience really wanted to see.
I was a big fan of Shawn Michaels so I enjoyed the first couple of those matches, but even I didn't give a poo poo about the HIAC match and it also annoyed me how Shawn never loving won after the Summerslam match (and the Elimination Chamber, I guess). HHH went over every time because of course he loving did, except in that Last Man Standing match which ended in a draw.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yes! You never really see the Thing hit any wrestling moves on enemies.

There was a story from Thing's time in the Guardians of the Galaxy where he was stranded on a planet that kept getting transmissions of his old UCWF matches. There was a panel or two of Thing dressed as "Hard Times" Dusty in the footage.

quote:

And was Spider-Man ever in the UWCF?

Not that I recall, but the UWCF did give us D-Man and Songbird. We're long overdue for Songbird in the MCU.

There was a time when Deadpool joined the UWCF as a heel manager (complete with tennis racket, kilt and whistle) because he figured if he turned face, society would forgive him for his many, many horrible crimes.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Gavok posted:

Marvel has a super-powered wrestling fed as part of its universe called Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. I'd like a comic series dedicated to its existence.

They've got some pretty problematic gimmicks, I gotta say.

(Unstoppable Wasp v2 #2)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DMorbid posted:

I was a big fan of Shawn Michaels so I enjoyed the first couple of those matches, but even I didn't give a poo poo about the HIAC match and it also annoyed me how Shawn never loving won after the Summerslam match (and the Elimination Chamber, I guess). HHH went over every time because of course he loving did, except in that Last Man Standing match which ended in a draw.

Further proof that HHH may love Flair but also never really got Flair.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
How do wrestling comics work? I am referring to the WWE ones. If someone quits/gets released do they just disappear from the comics?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How do wrestling comics work? I am referring to the WWE ones. If someone quits/gets released do they just disappear from the comics?

Pretty much, yeah. Different wrestling comics work in different ways and the more longform the setup is, the more problematic it becomes to the publisher. Like the first WWF comic Battlemania was a series of one-and-done short stories, so even if it did keep going on and on instead of just five issues, it didn't matter if they no longer were able to use the Ultimate Warrior or whoever.

Marvel's WCW comic tried to tell a continuous story in 12 issues and it was a disaster. Not just from people leaving the company (Luger being the biggest, as he was champ in the comic), but face/heel alignments. Johnny B. Badd just kind of comes to Z-Man's rescue out of nowhere at one point and haphazardly explains his face turn while punching everyone.

Marvel UK was also going to do a bizarre WCW comic about its top faces being gritty superheroes fighting demons, based on an action figure line. Only a teaser issue came out and one of the heroes was Chris Benoit, who was already out of the company by then. There was no follow-up and the series never came out.

In the mid-00s, there was a WWE comic called WWE Heroes that involved a cult of terrorists taking WrestleMania hostage. The first story was only six issues, but it had a LOT of group shots and supposedly it was a gigantic headache, as the art kept having to be changed. This was apparent when you can occasionally see Umaga in the background despite the fact that he had long been fired and was even dead by then. The aftermath was supposed to be three two-issue comics. The first one, an Undertaker/Mysterio team-up, went fine. The next one was supposed to be about a time-displaced John Cena fighting Edge and Jericho in ancient Rome, but Jericho was gone from the company and they simply stopped the series.

Another company did WWE Superstars, which lasted twelve issues split up into three very different storylines. The first issue came out right as CM Punk left the company, but he was a major part of the first two arcs. The second arc (issue #8) ended with a random conversation between Daniel Bryan and Punk about how Punk was leaving the company after accomplishing so much. The publisher did announce at one point that the trades of those stories would be rereleased with a different wrestler drawn in Punk's place (they never said who, though I always suspected RVD), but nothing ever happened with that.

The last arc of WWE Superstars was basically wrestlers from various eras doing Hunger Games on Mars. It ended with a cliffhanger, which was supposed to get a graphic novel follow-up. While it actually DID, this was during the time when Hogan was never to be mentioned and he was kind of important to the comic, as there was a subplot of Hogan/Cena hybrid clones running amok. The graphic novel was released with zero fanfare on the last day that that publisher had the WWE license.

BOOM! Studios is the latest to have the license and they did have an ongoing series for a bit. They were lucky enough that the company didn't drop anyone during that time. Otherwise, they just do one-shots and anthologies. Though I hear there was a comic centering around Seth Rollins that made sure to obscure Dean Ambrose whenever he was included in a scene and never mention him by name.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DMorbid posted:

Maybe it wasn't against HBK, but I clearly remember HHH losing a few high profile matches because he really wanted his Sad Hulk Walk moment leaving the ring after losing while everyone cheered him and chanted his name, but nobody ever did that so they kept trying to force that "moment" with other crowds, and it still never happened. That's a good example of "masturbatory", where even in defeat he needed his glory moment.

Kevino07 posted:

Somehow worse than he's ever been. Like I want to say he was somewhat tolerable during LU because he had to focus on PbP, but he's completely ramped up everything people hated: stretched metaphors, overdramatic, never knowing when to shut up and let a moment breathe, and flowery poetic descriptions to show you how well-read he is. He also does this thing now where in lieu of creeping on women, he'll hedge about it by inventing weird cancel culture scenarios like "she's a very attractive woman, but I don't know if I can say that without getting in trouble nowadays!" Pretty sure he's also a QAnon truther guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe it wasn't against HBK, but I clearly remember HHH losing a few high profile matches because he really wanted his Sad Hulk Walk moment leaving the ring after losing while everyone cheered him and chanted his name, but nobody ever did that so they kept trying to force that "moment" with other crowds, and it still never happened. That's a good example of "masturbatory", where even in defeat he needed his glory moment.

That was after losing to Brock at SummerSlam 2012. People kept chanting, "YOU TAPPED OUT!"

It was a breath of fresh air because otherwise, Triple H never got the Hogan backlash. For some reason, smarks never really booed him despite how deserving he was.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

Maybe I'm not telling either of you anything you don't already know, but since last year, I've been really enamored with this puroresu history thread that covers material from Rikidozan's death up to the 90s, trying to condense and organize massive histories into palatable summaries. And if you find the summaries a bit thin and can read Japanese, the OP does helpfully point out primary sources and articles. The OP is starting to formalize those posts into an ongoing blog, but there's not too much there right now.

Thanks for this, it's consumed my day.

This, though...

quote:

The narrative is set up with a trip to Mengerous K, Kawada’s restaurant, in the present day. The author’s description makes clear that, even if he might have been the most “functional” of the Pillars in the ring at the twilight of his career, this is a broken-down man even by the standards of professional wrestling. What struck me most is that Kawada’s neck is so stiffened that he must look up to swallow the soup he is eating, in order to keep it out of his windpipe.

:smith:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Back in the day, my friends and I used to watch Raw with a local wrestler. After a really early Cena match (like not long after he'd debuted), D-von rubbed Cena's face in the mat and local wrestler dude goes "Y'all see that? He's doing that to send a message to the boys in the back that that dude sucks." Is that a real thing? I've never heard that before or since, and I've asked a couple of other guys from our local scene about it and they'd never heard of that either.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Back in the day, my friends and I used to watch Raw with a local wrestler. After a really early Cena match (like not long after he'd debuted), D-von rubbed Cena's face in the mat and local wrestler dude goes "Y'all see that? He's doing that to send a message to the boys in the back that that dude sucks." Is that a real thing? I've never heard that before or since, and I've asked a couple of other guys from our local scene about it and they'd never heard of that either.

Pretty sure he's full of poo poo and Devon was just heeling

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure he's full of poo poo and Devon was just heeling

Yeah, about what I thought. Out of curiousity, I looked him up on FB and he's a total Trumper because of course.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bully and Devon both turned out lovely. Please tell me Spike doesn't suck now too.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I’ve just finished work and settling down to watch this week’s Dynamite. As someone in the UK and with not too much of an idea of US TV networks, can someone explain to me the significance of Dynamite being on TBS?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Same parent company, TBS is available in slightly more homes (like 1 million more, something like 89 vs 90 so very slight difference) and it was the original broadcast home for WCW.

But TBS only has playoff baseball so there will be much less sports preemptions for Dynamite on TBS while TNT has both the NBA and NHL.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Thank you for the explanation

Would it be fair to say this isn’t that much of a big deal, but it sounds good and impresses idiots like me who don’t know better?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can anyone give me a list of people who went over Face Hogan during his first WWF run in a dominant fashion? Doesn't have to be clean, but something in which Hogan gets pinned/submitted and doesn't immediately get up to get his heat back?
Is it as rare as I'm thinking it is, or am I memory holing a lot of people?

Yokozuna and Taker are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

britishbornandbread posted:

Would it be fair to say this isn’t that much of a big deal, but it sounds good and impresses idiots like me who don’t know better?

As someone in the US familiar with both stations, the main thing for me is not having another 6 weeks or whatever of Dynamite being preempted for other sports each year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Can anyone give me a list of people who went over Face Hogan during his first WWF run in a dominant fashion? Doesn't have to be clean, but something in which Hogan gets pinned/submitted and doesn't immediately get up to get his heat back?

Hogan's only clean loss after beating the Iron Sheik for the title, in singles, was to Warrior at wm6. Every other loss was fucky, or in tags.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

britishbornandbread posted:

If I remember correctly, TBS is also able to air Dynamite at the same time on both the east and west coast, vs TNT where it was shown on a three hour delay on the west coast. As far as I know that's a significant part of why Dynamite's ratings are kind of trash on that end of the country, so it should be a good change.

But other than that, yeah. It's a good sign for AEW's future, but it isn't that big of a deal.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Defenestrategy posted:

That's a rough one since even Hogan's "clean" losses almost always involved lots of chicanery or just popping up at 3.1 and going "Whuh!?" Off the top of my head

Andre: Hogan kicked out at a 1 count, ref counted 3 anyway

The Genius: Countout due to Mr. Perfect beating Hogan up

Warrior: Kickout at 3.1, "Whuh!?"

Undertaker: Tombstone onto chair. Surprisingly Hogan sold the poo poo out of this one and had to be helped out by medics

Yokozuna: Fireball camera + legdrop

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

If I remember correctly, TBS is also able to air Dynamite at the same time on both the east and west coast, vs TNT where it was shown on a three hour delay on the west coast. As far as I know that's a significant part of why Dynamite's ratings are kind of trash on that end of the country, so it should be a good change.

But other than that, yeah. It's a good sign for AEW's future, but it isn't that big of a deal.

It’s the other way around. Usually it airs on a three hour delay on the west coast, but was live the last few months on TNT because of hockey. Airing live sounds like it would be better, but 8PM is just a much better timeslot than 5PM.

But yeah, overall, TBS is really only better because it should mean a more stable schedule.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Gavok posted:

BOOM! Studios is the latest to have the license and they did have an ongoing series for a bit. They were lucky enough that the company didn't drop anyone during that time. Otherwise, they just do one-shots and anthologies. Though I hear there was a comic centering around Seth Rollins that made sure to obscure Dean Ambrose whenever he was included in a scene and never mention him by name.

It was the New Day miniseries that came out a few months ago, every time the Shield showed up in it Dean/Mox's face was either behind a ringpost, drawn from behind, etc.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Ganso Bomb posted:

As someone in the US familiar with both stations, the main thing for me is not having another 6 weeks or whatever of Dynamite being preempted for other sports each year.

doesn't TBS still do some world series games, but in that case They'd probably just put TNT that week since isn't it something like everyone who has TNT has TBS, but TBS also get a lot more viewers because it's a lesser tier of "cable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Defenestrategy posted:

If I remember rightly The Genius has a winning record against face Hogan in the WWF.

I think it was only 1 or 2 matches, but he won them. which is more than others can say.