Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

Has anyone here gone to a 3-2-1 Battle! show in Seattle and if so what's the parking situation like if you're coming in from out of town?

Their shows have two locations. One is in a gym which has no parking lot itself but is near a lot of places - including a church - where you might be able to park. The other is a bar close enough to Pike Place Market that you can use the parking garages there. That's my guesses anyway, I don't drive here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

J-Ru is just trying to get nominated.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

It's not bound to one promotion, but Kyoto's KBS Hall is gorgeous. Wrestling in front of the giant stained glass gives everything a very dramatic feel.

One thing I've really enjoyed since getting into Japanese wrestling is how distinctive Korakuen is and how long its history is. It's fun to be able to get a feel for the space and watch people 20 years ago taking bumps on the same parquet floor they're getting slammed on today.

KBS Hall is gorgeous!

Without A Cause wrestles at a place I've seen pictures of that has a cool look but I haven't been to any of the shows myself.

https://twitter.com/Producer_Rob/status/1188911681495130112

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There was a lucha match in southern California in the early 90s that no one taped because everyone who usually taped those things thought someone else would do it. It was a cage match but the cage was a six sided star and every review of the match was that it was bonkers amazing.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

In a year the competition may heat up to the point where he'd get more for jumping ship then than he would now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

All the talented PNW wrestlers for a while were Buddy Wayne's students.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

IIRC it's one of those situations where being open won't hurt Kenny but being open could hurt Ibushi. It is very definite that Kenny felt something though because he'll start crying when talking about how they had to split up.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Alexa Bliss was a nobody in NXT who became a star on the main roster.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Racists are as stupid as they are inconsistent. My mom loves saying she can't stand racists yet pals around with people who stopped talking to her for weeks because my sister married a black man.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Kaze Ni Nare

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A few times recently there was a problem caused by bing and google translate being poo poo that made "i'm not done yet" articles come across as "I'm retiring" articles. Does anyone else remember this? If so does anyone have a link to one of the articles whose mistranslation caused some issues?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What was Inoki's finisher?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Who has been removed from the NJPW parade of champions?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The Mulkey Brothers are pretty well regarded iirc and the place went nuts when they got their first win.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Draxion posted:

I don't know where you could find it (it might still be on Fite? But look around) but if you can get ahold of it the Blackcraft Wrestling: No Apologies show is the pinnacle of the form

Gonna second this. It's like a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP gone horribly wrong

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

In addition you had a few 'independent' territories (such as the future WWF) that weren't officially part of the NWA in order to avoid anti-trust lawsuits.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I recall in the 60s or 70s there was a wrestler who sued a promoter because he signed a contract guaranteeing a championship run and it either didn't materialize or went against the terms of the contract. This became a news story (though don't know how much of one) due to it being an admission that wrestling was scripted. Does anyone recall the details of this?

Edit: it was Ron Starr and Leroy McGuirk

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2021

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If someone were to go to Tokyo for a week, what are some wrestling related spots/shops/etc to check out?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6HR1-gknQc

Toukoudan, as shown by one Colton Aloysius Cabana

Also MiSu's store in Harajuku, called Piledriver

a cyborg mug posted:

There was a map compiled by some people online but they appear to be selling their knowledge as an ebook now. Maybe you can buy it if you feel like it https://thelionmarks.com/

However, back when I went to Tokyo for WK I pinned all the spots they mentioned on a Google map and dumped it all in the meetup thread, heh. Check this out

The Lion Marks' Map of Wrestling Spots in Tokyo (this was a link, doesn’t work anymore)

Back Drop (pro wrestling merch on the cheap)
EBRIETAS (Yano's Bar)
HAOMING Shop (clothes and masks and merch it looks like)
Nippon Budokan (not sure why this was on the list but it's of course an important location for pro wrestling)
MARUBUSHOUTEN (BUSHI's fried chicken shop)
Piledriver (Suzuki's clothing shop)
Ribera Steakhouse 1 and 2
Tokon Shop (NJPW Official Shop)
Tonga Coffee (Bad Luck Fale's cafe)
Toudoukan Wrestling Shop

Awesome! Thank you both.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What killed shoot-style in Japan? The availability of MMA?

e: I'm going through the PRIDE FC history book and while it covers the rise of shoot-style it glosses over what happens to it once PRIDE starts. I know Pancrase and RINGS turned into actual MMA promotions but what about the others?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 24, 2021

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What is the UWF ruleset? I know what it is in general but not the specifics.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

walter v ciampa and sasha v bianca for wwe, and theres like 10 to 15 contenders from aew that im not gonna get into. the moty thread has 50 but that number is skewed by people that have never seen good wrestling before and nominate regular matches as moty

Going over the 50 I'd say these are AEW matches are worth checking out

01/06 | Kenny Omega (C) vs. Rey Fenix for the AEW World Championship - AEW Dynamite New Year's Smash Night 1
03/17 | Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D vs. Thunder Rosa in a Lights Out Match - AEW Dynamite
04/14 | The Young Bucks (C) vs. Rey Fenix & PAC for the AEW Tag Team Titles - AEW Dynamite
05/05 | The Pinnacle vs. The Inner Circle in a Blood & Guts match - AEW Dynamite
05/12 | Darby Allin (C) vs. Miro for the TNT Championship - AEW Dynamite
05/30 | Serena Deeb (C) vs. Riho for the NWA Women's Championship - AEW Double or Nothing Pre-Show

For WWE I'd go Bianca vs Sasha at Wrestlemania night 1 and Walter vs Ciampa at NXT Takeover Night 1

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm trying to find a documentary about a Japanese deathmatch wrestler who I believe is Jun Kasai. In it I recall the documentarians talking to his wife and child to see what they thought about his deathmatches. Anyone recall this or have a link to it?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/video/death-match-1-650/5cdc62c4be4077448b726321

I think you need to have a US TV provider to watch it but its that

Thank you!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I remember a match a few years ago (maybe mid to late 2010s) where I believe Taichi was fighting another member of Suzuki-Gun in the Best of Super Juniors. They were teammates and didn't want to actually fight so they just stalled for ten minutes without touching each other before one accidentally did so and it caused them to start brawling. Does anyone remember more details about this match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you!