Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Memento posted:

This is only peripherally-related to wrestling talk, but does the WWE Network still use flash player? UFC fightpass uses it, and as far as I can tell, has about a year to roll out something else, and no announced plans to do so.

No, they updated it a couple of months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Vince has a very specific idea of what a good match is, so if that was what was on, I imagine he'd watch and enjoy. Vince Russo is the one I'm not sure actually likes wrestling as much as lovely bigoted melodrama.

I've always thought Vince Russo thinks he likes wrestling, but is actually bored by most of it. That's why he always needs to make things more interesting, by adding a gimmick to every match and a swerve to every angle.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Red posted:

Has anyone else ever had two distinctly different characters that were pretty much the opposite of each other?

Not sure about opposites, but Scotty Flamingo and Johnny Polo were very different characters from Raven.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How long after Taker’s debut did Paul Bearer show up? I know he came out with Brother Love at the ‘90 Survivor Series, but I don’t remember if it lasted all that long.

EDIT: It always amused me that we don’t know his name. It didn’t matter much until Kane showed up and Bearer was all “Your brother Kane is coming!” but then Kane as to refer to him as Undertaker instead of, you know, a name.

Wikipedia says that Paul Bearer debuted in February of 1991, so Taker was only with Brother Love for like three months.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

I was watching one of the Twitch streams playing old WCW stuff a couple of weeks ago when Raven was making his debut. He was in the crowd sitting and sulking with Stevie doing his thing behind him, but I don't actually remember Stevie doing much of anything in the Flock. Was he ever actually in The Flock proper once Raven stopped being just a dude in the crowd?

I think he may have been gone from WCW by the time The Flock was really a thing.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He was called Syxx-Pac and now that he joined DX he became X-Pac. It's that simple.

Wasn't he just Syxx in WCW? Because he was the sixth member of the NWO. The Syxx-Pac moniker didn't come until much later, when he joined TNA, and they combined "Syxx" with "X-Pac".

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I feel like they stopped listening to the fans once the Network started, which was long after Batista's initial push in the mid-aughts

That makes sense. There's no reason to listen to the fans if you no longer have to sell each individual PPV.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

CHIVERS posted:

Wow. Knowing that, I wonder if Abe Lincoln worked heel or face?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/abraham-lincoln-wrestling

Fought off local bullies
Almost was on the receiving end of a group beat-down
Nearly undefeated

I'd say he was a face.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

At least they're not loving nazis... wait.

At least one of them isn't a loving nazi.

Which one is a nazi? I know Kane is a libertarian, but I don't think I've ever heard any nazi stuff.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Quid posted:

I think he played it straight since he was still the blueblood but I remember laughing at him losing the hog pen match against Henry O Godwin.

The first like two years of HHH's WWE career was mostly just a rich guy getting humiliated by pig farmers and garbage men. I don't really think that counts, because this would have been before he had any real influence backstage, so he couldn't really say no yet.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

And the Rick/Scott match was stopped almost immediately for a twenty minute segment where Buff pretended to break his neck again.

Which means they had to drag the angle on even longer, somehow getting Chucky from Child's Play involved???

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When was the first time WWE returned to Montreal after the screwjob? Backlash 03? Or were there any shows before this?

Edit: I meant Backlash 04 but this was actually from Edmonton, not Montreal.

Looks like it may have been 10/18/01 Smackdown, at least for televised shows. Not sure if there were any earlier house shows.

Edit: Looks like there was a house show on 3/6/98
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=35704

Super Dan fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 6, 2022

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/fightful/status/1176208011083358210?lang=ca

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Farooq went from the gladiator to leader of the Nation pretty quickly.

Pretty sure Kama Mustafa became The Godfather very quickly, too.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What’s the best repacking of a comedy character into a serious threat?

I don't know if it counts because there's more than a decade between gimmicks, but Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry to Hall of Pain Mark Henry was pretty effective. I honestly don't remember what he was doing in between those times.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

I wasn't watching WCW much at the time and I'm confused...Buff Bagwell was doing the Chucky laugh like a year before Chucky showed up?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Buff Bagwell did like, a cocky heel laugh sometimes, but it didn't sound anything like Chucky. In the few weeks leading up to the Chucky thing, they would play the Chucky laugh during promos that involved Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner/Rick Steiner. But Buff was not the one doing the laugh.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

I always thought everyone had a contract with Time-Warner. What WWE bought was just the intellectual property and tape library. Anyone who wanted to work for Vince immediately had the option of taking a buyout from TW. Am I wrong on that?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Hade Hansen

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

On the topic of what-ifs, What if Raw hadn't moved to TNN in 2000? ECW doesn't get cancelled, maybe they don't go out of business, and a few months later WCW dies and they get an influx of talent that WWE didn't have room for, and are now the solid #2 organization. Also TNA wouldn't exist.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Childhood trauma memories unlocked of throwing up at least once on literally every single international flight when smoking was still allowed, and throwing up precisely zero times on flights ever since it was banned

I am sure the secret to not being sick was just starting smoking yourself as a lad

At least then you're inhaling smoke through a filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Nickelback release Silver Side Up