Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

lost my old email posted:

gangrel was so fuken cool man like not actual cool but liike wrestling cool like syxx-pac still thinks that he and his buddies wearing fubu shirts and doing decades old johnny carson bits was actual cool i do not have the heart to tell him otherwise

Just give them the ring of fire entrance and whoever you put with him will be over as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Pollyanna posted:

Then I’m getting the Full Gear poster as soon as it comes out.

Are you going to order it on PPV? Then of course you should order the poster.

Hell, even if you were to watch at like a bar or something then you're still giving them at least a little money by ordering the poster.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Pollyanna posted:

I assume I can buy the PPV online?

BR Live in the US or Canada, and Fite.tv elsewhere around the world

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Beyond Wrestling used to run in a bar with a giant brick wall on one side and I thought that, in addition to the very close and intimate feeling of everyone standing right next to the ring was pretty cool. The wall even came into play at least once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBca70LMSI

How the gently caress was that not the finish to the match? I mean, seriously, absurd spots like that just scream out "Ya ain't gettin' up from this one."

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ShootaBoy posted:

What are Tyler Breeze and Fandango up to these days?

Back in NXT.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TriffTshngo posted:

Pro Scoopsgal Rarity actually did a big writeup of every NXT callup since the debut of The Shield a few months ago. Despite the early ones being about a 50/50 ratio of Successes to Failures that's mostly going by everything they'd done up to 2019, back in 2014-15 a lot of those "Fails" were either considered successful or undetermined/somewhere in the middle. You can pretty easily spot the exact moment the quality of booking callups dropped off a cliff. Semi-related, that's about when I stopped watching WWE TV for good.

Short answer: Seth, Roman, Wyatt, KO, Corbin (unfortunately), Balor, Joe, Nakamura, Drew, and Andrade are all varying levels of important/credible, at least as much as you can be in WWE these days. Everyone else is a jobber dork or not on TV.

I'd say AOP and War Machine are doing ok but everyone in the tag division is inherently a jobber in WWE.

Out of that list, how many are actual Performance Center trainees without previous or even extensive wrestling elsewhere? Roman and Corbin? And Roman is of course born to wrestling so he's been steeped in it since birth, so that basically leaves Corbin. Baron Corbin is about the only true, purely WWE PC original with any meaningful main roster success.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TriffTshngo posted:

Maybe Wyatt? I don't remember ever hearing about him doing anything before he showed up in original NXT as Husky Harris.

He kinda would get looped in with the Roman "scion of a wrestling family" category if we really want to call him a true main roster "success". (I wish I could, but I don't.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Sasha Bank's husband makes wrestling gear I think.

He was a wrestler who made his own gear, then friends asked him to make their gear, and then their friends, etc. He ended up with so much business making gear he didn't have time to keep up with his training, so he quit wrestling to just make gear fulltime.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TriffTshngo posted:

I seem to remember E&C also being the two guys most often seen in backstage skits with Commissioner Mick Foley, which probably helped speed along their comedy heel personas even more.

Mick, and Kurt Angle. Those four in whatever combination made for comedy gold.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Has there ever been a female wrestler that has had a male valet? Like an obviously beautiful scantily clad man? Dalton Castle has his boys but has a woman ever done this?

Penelope Ford and Kip Sabian come out as each other's valet/managers.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Okay so when do people think NXT become bad? I went to my first NXT show in 2015 where Balor def Sami and Baron Corbin. I didn't start following NXT properly untill Shinsuke debut and Almas/ Ciampa/Black/Gargano/ had their run at the top. Apparently people didn't like NXT from 2018 onwards? NXT has always been good for me until it moved to counter AEW.

When Ciampa/Gargano went longer than the first match with Ciampa's flat back splutting onto the bare concrete. And then Adam Cole and the UE, at all. Don't care about any of them.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Gavok posted:

And I say England's greatest Prime Minister was Lord Palmerston!

Pitt the Elder!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lamuella posted:

So looking at the six pay per views AEW have done or planned since Dynamite started:

Full Gear 2019: one Dynamite rematch (Page vs PAC).

Revolution 2020: no rematches

Double Or Nothing 2020: one Dynamite rematch (MJF vs Jungle Boy)

All Out 2020: two Dynamite rematches (Sammy vs Hardy, Jericho vs Cassidy)

Full Gear 2020: three Dynamite rematches (Darby vs Cody, Sammy vs Hardy, Mox vs Kingston) plus one PPV rematch (Shida vs Nyla)

Revolution 2021 (based on what's booked so far) one confirmed Dynamite rematch (Kenny vs Mox) potentially a second depending on who wins the women's tournament and faces Shida.

And how many of those are different gimmicks or title matches? AEW is nowhere near as terrible about repeated matches month after month.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Custard Undies posted:

I haven't really watched any wrestling in several years outside of the Rumble and Mania so I may have missed it if it happened but when was the last time a company did a match in a super market or fun park (think that crash holly hardcore match) or something fun like that.

I know about the UT V AJ match from ma IA taking place outdoors but that's all I can think of.

Look up just about any Matt Hardy match from the "Broken Universe" or originating from "the Hardy Compound". He's really responsible for the return of "cinematic" matches over the last decade or so.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

edogawa rando posted:

Sonya Deville.

Nyla Rose has a wife, right?

Nylas wife is also who makes all of her gear.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I'm going to the AEW Dynamite in Houston this wednesday. Also my first wrestling show.

Any general idea of what to expect for merch? Like whats a shirt going to cost? I'm wondering if Sammy will have anything special since its his home city.

Ever been to a concert? Same kind of deal. 30+. The wife and I are going, too, as dumb as it is to go out into the plague zone that is Houston in 2021.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Same parent company, TBS is available in slightly more homes (like 1 million more, something like 89 vs 90 so very slight difference) and it was the original broadcast home for WCW.

But TBS only has playoff baseball so there will be much less sports preemptions for Dynamite on TBS while TNT has both the NBA and NHL.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Penguin Patrol posted:

During AEW's first Stadium Stampede match, a portion of the match with Matt Hardy vs Santana & Ortiz had a pool involved. There was also a pool around during the Jericho Cruise episode of Dynamite when MJF got thrown into it. No full match though.

And AEW-adjacent would be the match between Matt and Nick Jackson on BTE 200, which had some attempted pinfalls take place in a pool.

That's not really doing the insanity of the Stadium Stampede match justice. Matt Hardy kept changing gimmicks every time he got dunked, so Total Deletion, Matt Hardy v1, Big Money Matt Hardy, and a few others all showed up at least briefly.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

NutShellBill posted:

Do CM Punk and Eddie Kingston have legit personal beef, or do they just like to bust each other's chops?

As far as I've ever guessed, it's both. There is legit beef there, but they're also extremely dedicated professionals about their promos.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

sticklefifer posted:

The Acclaimed would come out and spread their first two fingers pointing downward in an A shape. Around the time the raps started getting more controversial, they started pushing the A's together because they're dirty boys. Then their match intro shtick got longer on the ramp so Bowens started calling for Max to "scissor me" instead of just doing it as a signature hand gesture in the ring.

Meanwhile, Danhausen had been calling Gunn Club "rear end Boys" in his videos, and called Billy Gunn "Billy rear end". Billy thought it was funny and embraced it, his sons did not. So when The Acclaimed linked up with him they started calling them "Daddy rear end and the rear end Boys", which led to Bowens saying "scissor me, Daddy rear end".

Billy Gunn was at one time in WWE known as Badass Billy Gunn and then Mr. rear end Billy Gunn. Danhausen took this as his name literally being Billy rear end, and thus his sons were the rear end Boys.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

EdsTeioh posted:

What's the origin of the TK cocaine deal? I mean, dude's ovs a spazz and all, but wasn't sure if there was some specific incident or something.

History Comes Inside! posted:

He is just a rich guy who has constant overtired toddler energy who apparently doesn’t sleep because he’s up all night booking angles and tweeting.

This is very cocaine-y behavior.

Cocaine, or Adderall. Sometimes he seems like he might be on one, sometimes the other.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

duckdealer posted:

My vote is for ZSJ's Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

flatluigi posted:

you should check out aew, but yes and frequently

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I should, uh, do they have a free show that's available to stream or is it on TV like Raw?

Both. There's their Dark and Dark: Elevation shows on YouTube, and then the main show is Dynamite at 8 PM Eastern Wednesday nights on TBS, and the 1-hour Rampage is on Friday nights at 10 PM Eastern on TNT.

Jade Cargill, their Women's TBS Champion (basically, the midcard belt) has gone through now two male valet/managers, her "lawyer" Smart Mark Sterling now being replaced by her "agent" Stokely Hathaway. Also Kip Sabian and his wife Penelope Ford act as each other's valets... or at least they did before she got injured and he started showing up for every show wearing a box over his head. We still don't know why.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Those first two years or so of NXT Takeovers (2014/15ish) were a breath of fresh air for North American wrestling shows since they were focused, concise, and highlighted some great rising stars (Sami, KO, Neville, the Four Horsewomen, etc.). There were certainly some duds amongst the shows (The Ascension’s big push, Adam Rose, Hideo Itami’s debut, Baron Corbin v. Bull Dempsey), but there was a lot of good there too.

Somewhere around the middle of Finn Balor’s title reign the shine starts to come off a bit, despite some excellent stuff still in Bayley’s big title win/reign. I want to say Takeover Brooklyn II or Toronto are the last of those early shows that still had some of that initial charm, before NXT became home to the Gargano/Ciampa forever feud.

Edit: that said, AEW’s PPVs have been leagues better. There have only been a handful of bad matches/feuds or production goofs (looking at you, Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch…), but generally even the worst AEW PPVs have been worthwhile and better than those aforementioned NXT shows.

NXT TakeOvers went down a tier after Toronto, and then dropped down another tier or two more after New Orleans (the first Gargano-Ciampa match). That first Gargano-Ciampa match was great, and that drat back bump Ciampa took onto the bare concrete will just live in my head forever.

But yes, the AEW PPVs are better overall than TakeOvers, and the best AEW PPVs (looking at you, Revolution 2020) are better than the best TakeOvers.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lurks With Wolves posted:

He's currently out due to a back injury. Before that, he was in an odd couple tag team with Matt Riddle. If the rumors are right, that tag team was supposed to break up a year ago but Orton fought to keep them together because he was so happy to be something besides The Viper (he hears voices in his head, they talk to him, he understands, they talk to him) for once.

He may be done altogether due to that back injury. Or at the very least the RKO may become a PPV/PLE only finisher for him.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Apparently there is a hard roster split in AEW... but only for folks who are also married to wrestlers in WWE. Since the WWE schedule runs Thursday through Tuesday (with travel days) and AEW ran Tuesday through Thursday before Collision, if someone was in a "mixed marriage" like Malakai Black (married to WWE's Zelina Vega) they would basically never get to be home at the same time as their spouse.

Now anyone with a spouse on the Thursday to Tuesday WWE grind can be at home at least three days a week with their significant other.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Defenestrategy posted:

Lucha Hype man is Alex Abrahantes, Rebel did/does makeup, but I haven't counted her because we haven't seen her since a long long time it feels. Cutler has some sort of title which may or may not be "makes BTE" so I didn't count him because it might be a PR position like Uno, Tony, Cole, etc have with various AEW Podcasts/Games/Outreach

Alex is also part of the Spanish commentary team, as well as emergency fill-in for podcasts. Note that he's not actually a wrestler for the "Spanish Announce Project" faction, however. That's Serpentico and Angelico, and I guess Luther is still there, too.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nehru the Damaja posted:

...Hundo Supreme, The Man With One Hundred Dollars...

That is the most indie-rifficly stupid/amazing ring name I have ever heard. How does one see a video of this segment?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Beer_Suitcase posted:

This is how lots of wrestling works. It's lil talk beforehand. Some folks like to work out every single move, other times you just work out the opening and the finish n make up the middle. There are also instances where you don't get to talk before hand at all and you have to do it on the fly.

But even if you work it out before you still talk in the ring. "Duck one watch the spin kick" ect

One of the best matches of the 2010s, Shinsuke Nakamura's debut in NXT against Sami Zayn, was apparently entirely called in the ring, no rehearsals or pre-planning. They had never even wrestled against one another before, either.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

haunted bong posted:

Also known as “your typical Tuesday morning for Juice Robinson”

The one thing I want most from the world is a Juice Robinson/Toni Storm reality show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura, NXT Takeover Dallas.

If the non-fan gets into it, then you can talk about how these two guys never wrestled each other before, and didn't even really talk about things beforehand. Just called it all in the ring.