Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

karmicknight posted:

Can some qualify for me the main differences between ‘wrestling cool’ and ‘real’ cool.

"wrestling cool" is whatever was cool 5-10 years before wrestling caught onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Didn't Lance Lude appear in the Urban Wrestling Federation at one point?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Randaconda posted:

Imagine Brad Armstrong with Brian's charisma :allears:

That's Bullet Bob.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Really pumped to see Crow-dy Rhodes rappelling down from the ceiling in a three-piece suit once MJF double-crosses him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Aphrodite posted:

He's going to be the Phoenix Joker.

Does that mean he'll settle his issues with MJF at Hell Incel?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'm reminded that Jimmy Havoc yells "Rainmaker!" every time he does his lovely version of it and for some reason I find it very charming in a Laszlo Cravensworth sort of way.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Schneider Heim posted:

What's the best WWE game, gameplay-wise? I remember going through several iterations of Smackdown vs RAW and I thought 2006 was the most solid? I made The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy as a heel CAW there

My favorite is still No Mercy and nothing else comes anywhere close for me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Endless Mike posted:

Eventually someone would have mentioned to Vince that CJ Parker was Pam Anderson's Baywatch character's name and we'd have seen him in a red swimsuit.

Baywatch might be the one rare somewhat modern pop culture thing Vince knows about.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dacap posted:

I think it’s not common because taking someone into a piledriver from the crucifix position seems like it’d be super easy to lose control of their positioning and gently caress their neck. Also the person receiving can’t put their palms down to reduce impact like you typically see in a standard piledriver. The Steiner Screwdriver has a similar problem and I’m amazed anyone who received that move was ever able to walk again.

I feel the same way about most of Super Dragon's finishers, especially the Barry White driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X2sDLwybxM

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sandmahon would have been way better if only because those two would have been forced to coexist in TV segments for at least three weeks.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

STAC Goat posted:

Man, I'm a huge ECW fan and apologist but I can't for the life of me imagine what would possess someone to think of Sandman for "RAW GM" except purely as a troll.

Oh it's absolutely a troll move, but unlike WWE's other troll moves it would have actually been funny.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TheKingslayer posted:

Saturn's interview with I think... Jericho was super super sad. Talked about where he'd been all that time. I liked Saturn a lot so I was stoked that he was at least alive and getting clean.

As of that recording anyway.

Saturn also had a YouShoot that's surprisingly great. He still has his goofy sense of humor, told some truly insane stories about what he got into with groupies in WCW, and was pretty honest about himself; his first reaction to watching the match where he beat the poo poo out of Mike Bell was "I was wrong, that's unprofessional."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CM Punk's Pepsi tattoo suggests that he does, or did at one time. Something tells me Marko Stunt is a big soda drinker as well.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

I got two random little questions:

1. What is Raven's accent? I know it's just his regular real life accent, I just don't know what it is and it's so thick I always notice it.

It's a Philly/Jersey accent since that's where he's from.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Spikegal posted:

Kenny also has an interest in AEW doing good well after his retirement since he is one of the main people behind the company. Frankly it's really unselfish of him to not be the top star right away. This company is built around unselfish people.

Yeah, Kenny and the Bucks do a lot to neutralize my distant concern that Cody and Brandi will put themselves front and center too much. It already bugs me a little that Cody does his full PPV entrance whenever he comes out to do anything.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Deathlove posted:

Matsunaga-Pogo had a coffin match in the 90s. It suck-diddily-ucks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prr7ICC7Xgs

Oh man I have this one on tape and yeah it is capital-B Bad. Matsunaga stunk and Pogo was really lazy.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Randaconda posted:

Jericho's story in his book about almost making GBS threads his pants when Bad News caught him talking to his wife was amazing :allears:

Lance Storm has some pretty funny memories of rowdy Canadian locker rooms suddenly behaving themselves whenever Bad News was booked.

Another advocate for non-deathmatch wrestling in CZW back in the day was Nick Gage; Chuck Taylor and others have said that he was really supportive of them. IWA-MS also had Mike Quackenbush as a heel light heavyweight champion back in the day and it owned.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

Who are some of the "loudest" sellers?

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

I'd never noticed Lex's sell grunts until a friend pointed them out last year, and now they're all I notice when I watch his matches.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

Joey Janela sells like he's in a Friday the 13th movie and Jason just took a machete to his nuts

Him selling an atomic drop for almost a full minute on AEW Dark was so, so good.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

Didn't Nigel suffer numerous arm injuries due to performing the lariat?

Lariats were his entire moveset when he was ROH champion; it's probably not as bad when you only throw one a night.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

harperdc posted:

Also I believe Minoru Suzuki is still the guy touring with NJPW who’s on nightly “stretch the young boys” duty pre-show, dude is just an animal even in his 50s.

He is, and Don Callis is legitimately afraid of him after seeing him do it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ric Flair and the Rock are pretty iconic heel-to-face turnarounds, and Terry Funk was great at both.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

It's not a proper face turn but the positive fan response to Raven's WCW rich kid vignettes surprised everyone involved - those fans HATED Raven before that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

oh but seriously I posted:

aubrey is cool but if you want an invisible ref she does not do that. honestly i did not mind earl back in the day, but he is too slow now

Aubrey's only visible when she needs to be, her body language is easy to read, and she presents as an authority. She's a very good ref and not every ref has to be invisible by default. Tommy Young sure wasn't.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Moe_Rahn posted:

Did anyone who wasn't Meng ever get hit with a wooden chair?

Big Bubba Rogers, which was the angle they were ripping off when they did it to Meng.

edit: also a wooden chair factored into the finish of the Magnum TA/Tully I Quit match.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Cornette tell a story about that, where they were supposed to weaken the chair but forgot?

Yeah, Klondike Bill forgot to gimmick the chair so Dusty broke a legit one over Bubba's head and it didn't even knock his hat off.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there any children of wrestlers who found notable success in fields that aren't adjacent to wrestling or even sports?

Rocky Johnson's kid is a decent actor I guess.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't watch Chikara so I don't know if this was legit or if it was the plan from the start but in King of Trios 2015 AJ botched a Phenomenal Forearm on the first night and over the rest of the weekend he would either hesitate and decide not to do it or attempt and botch it again, finally hitting it on the last(?) night. Whether or not that first one was intentional, they made a fun little story out of it.

AEW just did something similar with Christopher Daniels botching a moonsault on Pentagon Jr. and it ended up giving his character a lot of depth.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'd personally put Jericho in GOAT contention and it's great to see him finally get the chance to carry a company as a top star and do such a great job of it. It's a bonus that he's willing to work with so many younger talents and make them look as good as possible.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

From what I can tell, they force students to overtrain to the point of injury and also don't produce good wrestlers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

Why is Thunderbolt Patterson never really mentioned in Hall of Fame discussions? I'm not saying this as in I know Thunderbolt, I know nothing about him really outside of what I saw on wikipedia, but from just that he seems like someone who got blacklisted for all the right reasons and should be celebrated.

He absolutely should be celebrated, but he isn't because of the aforementioned blacklisting, plus he wasn't very good and all his best stuff got stolen by guys like Dusty who got all the credit for it. I also don't know how good of a long-term draw he was, but he should definitely be lauded as a guy who took no poo poo.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

There were videos ICP put out which were basically them doing commentary over I think FMW shows or other Japanese death match stuff (I want to say Bloodymania was the series title) and while it didn't have promos included they'd be making up the stories and the characters. Dunno if that counts but it's the closest thing I can think of.

That was their Stranglemania series and it was a lot of W*NG/IWA Japan/FMW stuff, I think. ICP reacting to insane deathmatch spots is really funny but their humor overall was really homophobic and sexist, so I doubt those tapes have aged well.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Red posted:

None of this explains Terry Funk, though

The best explanation for Terry is that he is insane and impossible to kill by normal means.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jesus WEP posted:

Was Swamp Monster multiple people? I always thought it was Gulak too but they tagged a few times

I think Swamp Monster was originally a trainee who Quack described as "moving like some kind of swamp monster," inspiring Chuck Taylor to drunkenly purchase a ghillie suit from Amazon for said trainee.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

Probably the most memorable thing he did was get in trouble during the pre-show of Trios. Bodhi joked about being bi-polar while over-tightening his tie, which did NOT go over well considering this was days after Larry Sweeney hung himself. At a later show, Bodhi broke character to apologize to the crowd.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that! What a dick move. Bodhi also sucked real bad as a wrestler, I recall.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

JOHN CENA posted:

vince would probably be put off by Jay's kiwi accent because it's vince and Jay would just spend 4+ years in NXT anyway before getting to the main roster and immediately blowing out one or both knees

This seems more likely.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

...is Shane notoriously full of poo poo, though? Maybe more so after he got clean and mostly retired, but he generally strikes me as pretty honest. Especially since the Clique burial stuff has been corroborated quite a bit in the decades since he initially went public.

Shane is notorious for overrating himself and blaming everyone else in the business for his inability to get beyond a certain level career-wise. In the Clique's case he wasn't wrong, but he was enough of an rear end in a top hat to sabotage himself even without them and he was never good enough to compensate for it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MJeff posted:

Orange Cassidy has been wrestling since 2004, right? What's his bump card look like? I know he has his current gimmick that's probably pretty good for minimizing your bumps, but I'm wondering what his overall career looks like, from anybody who's been following him since, like, the Chikara days.

Basically I'm wondering how long he'll be able to go as a high-card guy, possibly top guy in AEW, since he's already 36.

He doesn't have many injuries and his gimmick requires him doing as little as possible, so I'd say he's got more time left than your average 36-year-old wrestler. He started doing the lazy stuff around 2010-2011, so that's a good chunk of time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

Is it fair to go back and say those contemporaries who dismissed ECW as garbage wrestling and a fad were entirely 100% correct and not just old fogeys?

In terms of the in-ring product? Sure. But ECW's overall presentation was something multiple companies ripped off for years afterward and it, along with the booking, made a lot of those guys look way better and more important than they actually were (Public Enemy being the primary example of this). Not to mention that ECW's loudest critic booked a promotion that used some of the same wrestlers and was also super trashy, but in a 1980s way as opposed to a 1990s way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

In terms of in-ring, some of the best wrestlers of the late nineties passed through ECW. Yes, there was some absolute trash, but there was also Psicosis vs Rey Jr from the days when Rey's knees worked, Jerry Lynn vs RVD, Tanaka vs Awesome, and Super Crazy vs Tajiri.

Not to mention Chris Jericho and Mick Foley and the Dudleys, all of whom went on to draw money elsewhere.