Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I want to travel more and now have the income to do so, but I'm single and don't feel like waiting. I'm in the UK so am a bit wary of going to Europe until Brexit is resolved (as far as that's possible) and would like to do something substancive, a week or so. I had a great time in New York this year, Montreal before that. 'm looking forward to a pre-Brexit long weekend in the Netherlands next month and really enjoyed Lyon previously.

So with that in mind, can anyone suggest either destinations or useful methods to figure out a destination? Part of the problem is I don't think I want to wait until April or so, so looking for somewhere that's habitable say Nov-Feb. Also for using my vacation allowance before April.

I like museums and good food, but open to some time outdoors. So far I've looked at some NA locations, considered a return to NY and go on to Boston and/or Niagara Falls and Toronto, or something to the West, San Fransisco/Seattle/Vancouver. Car rental is a possibility though I've never driven right hand before. But maybe I should branch out from NA now? Don't know how Australia is alone, but I'd probably have to wait for a deal on flights.

Maybe this isn't enough for a stranger to go on, but suggestions are most welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I want to travel more and now have the income to do so, but I'm single and don't feel like waiting. I'm in the UK so am a bit wary of going to Europe until Brexit is resolved (as far as that's possible) and would like to do something substancive, a week or so. I had a great time in New York this year, Montreal before that. 'm looking forward to a pre-Brexit long weekend in the Netherlands next month and really enjoyed Lyon previously.

So with that in mind, can anyone suggest either destinations or useful methods to figure out a destination? Part of the problem is I don't think I want to wait until April or so, so looking for somewhere that's habitable say Nov-Feb. Also for using my vacation allowance before April.

I like museums and good food, but open to some time outdoors. So far I've looked at some NA locations, considered a return to NY and go on to Boston and/or Niagara Falls and Toronto, or something to the West, San Fransisco/Seattle/Vancouver. Car rental is a possibility though I've never driven right hand before. But maybe I should branch out from NA now? Don't know how Australia is alone, but I'd probably have to wait for a deal on flights.

Maybe this isn't enough for a stranger to go on, but suggestions are most welcome.

A single person going to Niagara Falls in January-March would probably be flagged by suicide prevention teams.

Driving right-hand is very easy, especially in the US because there are no roundabouts, so really you just have to pay a little bit of attention if you're driving somewhere where there are no other cars on the road. If you're driving somewhere with a bit of traffic, it's trivial to switch RHD/LHD. You wouldn't want or need a car in SF or Seattle (use Uber) but you'd definitely want one to go outside of the city to like Muir Woods or whatever.

You could also look into joining a group tour of other people your age to somewhere like Costa Rica or Morocco or whatever. Some of them are for boozing 20 year olds, but some of the other tours are for non-drunkards in their early 20s to mid/late 30s. With your specific time of year and location I'd personally look at Morocco/Tunisia/Israel, but I might be a specifically weather-dependent traveller.

If you have two weeks, then going like SF to Vegas or LA to Vegas sounds great -- not for Vegas so much as for all the national parks around it. Yosemite might not really be easily visitable, but most of the other major parks will be.

E: 1 week seems impossible to do and enjoy for Australia, even if you pay for the direct flights you’d spend like 25-35% of your entire vacation in transport.

Closer to home, you could do Iceland in late March. All of the interior roads will still be closed but you’d be able to do a lot and the light would be fine by then.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 9, 2019

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Saladman posted:

Driving right-hand is very easy, especially in the US because there are no roundabouts

This is not true. There are many in Massachusetts (we call them rotaries)

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Washington DC isn't too cold in the winter and had more than enough to fill a week. Also the US has tons of round a bouts, but it's a newer trend.