Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Week 1 Divisional Run Rankings

NFC West is trying the hardest to establish the run, the AFC South is having the most success in the establishment of the run

Praise the Run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Is there a good way to get Run vs Pass plays from football reference per team weekly?

The Vikings clearly win this week with 38 to 10

This page will have yearly, but is there a weekly for it?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Titan up

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Play posted:

Frank Gore, with his 3,882 rushing attempts, will certainly be a first ballot inductee to the Hall of Run Establishment. Attempts are valued more than all other rushing stats because establishing the run is not about success, it's about CONVICTION

a much more valued enshrinement than the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which contains Lynn Swann

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Athanatos posted:

Is there a good way to get Run vs Pass plays from football reference per team weekly?

The Vikings clearly win this week with 38 to 10

This page will have yearly, but is there a weekly for it?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/

This should work: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/team-stats?season=2019&week=101&category=RUSHING

Here's the ratio of runs to passes for each team for week 1. Truly dominant ETR from the Vikings

3.80 Vikings - crushed it
1.77 Ravens - crushed it
1.25 Seahawks - won
1.22 Colts - lost in OT
1.19 49ers - crushed it
1.17 Titans - crushed it
1.08 Raiders - crushed in
0.94 Cowboys - crushed it
0.82 Rams - won
0.79 Eagles - won
0.78 Patriots - crushed it
0.77 Texans - lost at the last second
0.76 Chiefs - crushed it
0.74 Broncos
0.73 Packers
0.72 Buccaneers
0.71 Lions
0.68 Bills
0.62 Chargers
0.61 Panthers
0.53 Browns
0.51 Jets
0.49 Saints
0.48 Jaguars
0.43 Cardinals
0.38 Dolphins
0.37 Falcons
0.35 Giants
0.33 Bears
0.30 Washington
0.28 Steelers
0.27 Bengals

Science proves it, ESTABLISH THAT RUN

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
We can officially crown The Minnesota Vikings as winners of the Establish the Run Crown of Week 1.

I don't have a prize or a dumb photoshopped trophy or anything, but good job there.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
When we talk about establishing the run, I feel an important metric should be first half run/pass ratio. I suspect many teams are establishing the pass before running out late game clock, aka the Coward's Gambit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Vando posted:

When we talk about establishing the run, I feel an important metric should be first half run/pass ratio. I suspect many teams are establishing the pass before running out late game clock, aka the Coward's Gambit

true. As we say here at the Commission: "Run from the start is what sets you apart. Run at the end, may your shame never mend"

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Can we talk about Derrick Henry in high school?

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/derrick-henry/-LkaafTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/football/stats.htm

He established the run.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Raku posted:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/derrick-henry/-LkaafTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/football/stats.htm

He established the run.

:eyepop:

Also, :lol: at:

Rushing Touchdowns: 153
Total Touchdowns: 154

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Raku posted:

He established the run.

Also playing linebacker when your team is on defense is the equivalent of establishing the run while the other team has the ball

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Danny Woodhead in college:

2004 284 attempts, 1840 yards, 6.5 YPC, 25 TD, 184 YPG
2005 278 attempts, 1769 yards, 6.4 YPC, 21 TD, 176.9 YPG
2006 344 attempts, 2756 yards, 8.0 YPC, 34 TD, 212 YPG
2007 250 attempts, 1597 yards, 6.4 YPC, 21 TD, 145.2 YPG

He was the Barry loving Sanders of Chadron state Y'all.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i mean what are these kids expected to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2yfWsFk3c

like lmao yeah this safety needs to get into the box and square up

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sure everyone on the field is smaller then him, but they're slower too.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Raku posted:

He established the run.

I just want to make sure that everyone who just gives this a glance like I did at first registers that those 4200+ rushing yards were in a single season

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Jivesauce posted:

I just want to make sure that everyone who just gives this a glance like I did at first registers that those 4200+ rushing yards were in a single season

with 13 games

he had 330 yards a game

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Walter Payton had a whopping 6.88 YPC in 40 carries in a game against the Vikings in 1977, I guess we can go out on a limb and say dude was pretty decent at establishing the run

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FizFashizzle posted:

i mean what are these kids expected to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2yfWsFk3c

like lmao yeah this safety needs to get into the box and square up

https://youtu.be/nWn3KLF8DD0

It's pretty much this

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Submitted for the Hall of Run Establishment:

Jaguars vs. Colts Dec. 10, 2006

42 rushes to 14 passes for a tidy 3:1 R2P ratio
375 rushing yards (nearly 9 ypa)
3 RBs over 70 yards
93 yd kickoff return, which if you think about it is the ultimate run establishment

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How has the Rams OL looked? Was the run established by good blocking or is Gurley back (baby awooo)?

I thought OL was a big question mark for them this offseason.

They were not good in the first half, then McVay re-committed to the establishment of the run in the second and they actually looked good in run and pass blocking. Notebloom is athletic as hell for a 300 pound guard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

They were not good in the first half, then McVay re-committed to the establishment of the run in the second and they actually looked good in run and pass blocking. Notebloom is athletic as hell for a 300 pound guard.

Yeah they looked big, thick and like they could move around pretty well so I was super satisfied with them. Definitely didn't stand out in a bad way which is all you really want for first time starters

The Zack posted:

Submitted for the Hall of Run Establishment:

Jaguars vs. Colts Dec. 10, 2006

42 rushes to 14 passes for a tidy 3:1 R2P ratio
375 rushing yards (nearly 9 ypa)
3 RBs over 70 yards
93 yd kickoff return, which if you think about it is the ultimate run establishment

What a smackdown, 44 to 17 with three rushing scores

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonas Gray vs the Colts.

The answer to the question, what if you just grabbed a random swole guy off the streets and made him run behind an offensive line that completely outclasses the defensive line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDyRUVZf7LE

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In 1999, Tim Biakabatuka had 12 carries for 142 yards and 3 TDs against the Washington Redskins. They literally could not tackle him. And this was in the first half.

He was benched in the 2nd half for reasons we never learned.

Panthers lost 36-38, and missed the playoffs by half a game.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Congrats to the Minnesota Vikings for establishing the run.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If we're going to recognize old games, honorable mention to these two I remembered off the top of my head:

1997 Denver at Oakland
Both teams coming off a bye, Denver was coming in hot at 6-0 and Raiders not so much at 2-4. Denver would go on to win it all, but at least on this day, Napoleon Kaufman was out to gently caress Denver, running for 227 on 28 carries, while Jeff George went 9/12 for under 100 yards.

1999 Oakland at Buffalo
Tyrone Wheatley ran for hard fought yards over the Bills with the Raiders as a team rushing 48 times for 195, vs 15/22 for 148 passing. Both QBs also contributed over 20 yards to the run game, Gannon running 4 for 22, and Flutie 3 for 23 (but foolishly they also attempted 41 passes vs just 13 runs).

Raku posted:

Also playing linebacker when your team is on defense is the equivalent of establishing the run while the other team has the ball
He even had 5 sacks, discouraging the other teams from passing.

Going off topic for a sec, looks like he also threw for 2 TDs (probably made possible by establishing the run), blocked a punt, and could also kick, going 1/2 on PATs, and 1/1 on FGs.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mike Gillislee in week 17 of 2006 recorded amazing 28 yards on 24 rushing attempts with 0 TDs, that's some extreme run establishment right there

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

japtor posted:

If we're going to recognize old games, honorable mention to these two I remembered off the top of my head:

1997 Denver at Oakland
Both teams coming off a bye, Denver was coming in hot at 6-0 and Raiders not so much at 2-4. Denver would go on to win it all, but at least on this day, Napoleon Kaufman was out to gently caress Denver, running for 227 on 28 carries, while Jeff George went 9/12 for under 100 yards.

1999 Oakland at Buffalo
Tyrone Wheatley ran for hard fought yards over the Bills with the Raiders as a team rushing 48 times for 195, vs 15/22 for 148 passing. Both QBs also contributed over 20 yards to the run game, Gannon running 4 for 22, and Flutie 3 for 23 (but foolishly they also attempted 41 passes vs just 13 runs).

He even had 5 sacks, discouraging the other teams from passing.

Going off topic for a sec, looks like he also threw for 2 TDs (probably made possible by establishing the run), blocked a punt, and could also kick, going 1/2 on PATs, and 1/1 on FGs.

He threw the TDS from the wildcat. Every play from that formation counts as a run

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

Mike Gillislee in week 17 of 2006 recorded amazing 28 yards on 24 rushing attempts with 0 TDs, that's some extreme run establishment right there

true, I'd like to remind everyone that establishing the run is not necessarily about racking up yards and touchdowns. sometimes you even have to go backwards to establish the run!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It's a bit of a small bite compared to some of the others in this thread, but it's important to remember that everyone has a vital role play in establishing the run.

Jerome Bettis: 5 rushes, 1 yard, 3 touchdowns.

Edit: it goes to show that establishing the run isn't necessarily about yards, it's about WINNING.

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 13, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mystic Stylez posted:

Walter Payton had a whopping 6.88 YPC in 40 carries in a game against the Vikings in 1977, I guess we can go out on a limb and say dude was pretty decent at establishing the run
More awards should be called the Walter Payton Award.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Mark Ingram, Jr. is first ballot a hall of famer so yes

The Gore post inspired me to look at the all-time rushing leaders, and Ingram is somehow 4th among active RBs which sounds hosed up to me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

The Gore post inspired me to look at the all-time rushing leaders, and Ingram is somehow 4th among active RBs which sounds hosed up to me

Not too surprising given that he's 29, this is his ninth season and he's been used consistently the whole time

A big reason for it is how short most RB careers end up being. If you can last to 30 still being fed carries then you're gonna be up there

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

John Harbaugh proud of idea to play 303-pound Patrick Ricard at fullback

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

even though the Bengals were dead last in establishing the run, the bengals running back took it upon himself to veto a flea flicker play into the run that it was pretending to be in order to prevent a very bad sack from happening. a small running moment From week one

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This leads me to the new catchphrase around here: "That's the Bengals!"

It's not intended to be used for anything negative, so keep that In mind

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Play posted:

It was born in the NFC West thread out of a sense of crass exceptionalism (the NFC West is foremost in establishing the run) but has since matured into a movement; nay, a way of life

Specifically it comes from Seattle having by far the best QB in the division but going run-first no matter what

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
^

Bryan schottinhighmur, offensive genius, Seattle Seahawks

The ru n

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Leperflesh posted:

I submit to the committee that mr. frank gore, esq. deserves consideration for the lifetime achievement award in run establishment. Gore has been unflinchingly establishing runs for an uncountable number of seasons and despite being an elderly man, he continues to this day to agelessly perform runs.

OK, in fairness, this week Gore only gained 20 yards on 11 carries, while rookie upstart Devin Singletary had 70 yards on just 4 carries and quarterback Josh Allen had 10 carries for 38 yards. But I submit to you that the bills are trash, so he shouldn't be blamed for that, and anyway low-yardage runs are still run establishment, and probably gore made some of those Allen carries possible. And besides, they won the game, which means every one of those yards mattered.

You wish you could look like this at age 36

We are not here to praise the bills, but to take note of one of the all-time greats in running the dang ball, still out there doing his thing no matter how old he gets or how mediocre his team might be (having recently played for the Colts and then Miami and now the Bills, ugh). He is 4th on the all-time rushing list (and just 500 yards out from overtaking Barry Sanders for third), but he is first in our hearts.

Frank Gore is the Saint Peter of establishing the Run

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

frank gore is the marshall applewhite of establishing the run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Week 2: The Colts Established the Run