Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If we're going to recognize old games, honorable mention to these two I remembered off the top of my head:

1997 Denver at Oakland
Both teams coming off a bye, Denver was coming in hot at 6-0 and Raiders not so much at 2-4. Denver would go on to win it all, but at least on this day, Napoleon Kaufman was out to gently caress Denver, running for 227 on 28 carries, while Jeff George went 9/12 for under 100 yards.

1999 Oakland at Buffalo
Tyrone Wheatley ran for hard fought yards over the Bills with the Raiders as a team rushing 48 times for 195, vs 15/22 for 148 passing. Both QBs also contributed over 20 yards to the run game, Gannon running 4 for 22, and Flutie 3 for 23 (but foolishly they also attempted 41 passes vs just 13 runs).

Raku posted:

Also playing linebacker when your team is on defense is the equivalent of establishing the run while the other team has the ball
He even had 5 sacks, discouraging the other teams from passing.

Going off topic for a sec, looks like he also threw for 2 TDs (probably made possible by establishing the run), blocked a punt, and could also kick, going 1/2 on PATs, and 1/1 on FGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I just realized something while looking at the Raiders’ stat line or 32 run to 31 pass*, are we taking into account kneeling? It is not establishing the run, perhaps it is celebrating successful establishment of the run at the end of a game, but what about at the end of the first half?

*Obviously they won, vs the last two weeks of losing with a ~0.5 run/pass ratio.

Edit: also used their new WR to help establish the run:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1178359560769167360

japtor fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 30, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Raku posted:

For our purposes runs should count less if they get more yards. Commitment isn't easy

Like a team that gets 500 yards in 25 runs hasn't shown faith, they just took advantage of easy yards. A team that runs 50 times for 25 yards has true faith
I feel the same way more or less. I don’t necessarily have a problem with big yardage, because depending on the game they could be coming from reaping the rewards of establishing the run, but true grit and dedication is when you continue to commit without any signs of success whatsoever.

Play posted:

I'm counting three votes for the Jags, two for Philly and one Titans and one Vikings. Let's keep the floor open
I’m gonna tie it up and go for Philly here. I can’t deny their heart.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Are we accounting for strength of defenses?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The hubris of Andy Reid:

quote:

The Chiefs didn't try to alleviate pressure by calling more running plays. They tried runs on just 14 of their 57 plays. LeSean McCoy, their leading rusher entering the game, got no carries.

"They were banged up a little bit in the secondary," Reid said of the Colts. "I thought we could take advantage of that."

The Chiefs weren't productive with the run, gaining 36 yards. A more concerted effort to run the ball might have made a difference.

Barudak posted:

The colts established the run so hard they created a scrum, then won the scrum
Then the NFL took away the first down :argh:

In other news, the Raiders are 3-0 when establishing the run, this time against the Bears vaunted run defense. It should’ve been a blowout if not for a few miscues and just passing too much. Josh Jacobs was destroying them all day, there wasn’t much reason to bother with anything else. The unsettling trend I’m seeing is unnecessarily trying to go for balance, leading to poor second halves after dominant run heavy ball control first halves. The line needs to order those "RUN THE drat BALL" hats the Colts players bought.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Killing the passing champs by running it down their throat is an amazing storyline. That's what matters.
Yes this is about more than mere stats in a single game. I have to vote for the Colts here for their outsized contribution to the cause.

On a homerish note, since someone mentioned fullbacks, Alec Ingold owns:

https://twitter.com/SGafety/status/1180969519281508353
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1180936193644617728

I hope they run that same play at some point but give him the ball. They established the run so hard they could’ve scored twice on the same play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I’m gonna need some context to all those numbers. Like how hard did they have to work to establish the run, or was it just so easy to run from the start that the run was pre established by skill disparity?