Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Brain Curry posted:

Miami doesn’t want to win, so probably Denver

Denver can beat the Bears if the Bears play like last week

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets are holding kicker tryouts today to replace Vedvik. This guy is there. gently caress it. Get him in, get Carli Lloyd in. I dont care. Just make a PAT.
https://twitter.com/HomeoftheJets1/status/1171400751106732033

I have to say I'm a bit suspicious regarding the percentage on his sign that clearly appears to have been modified several times

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

-81 Sam Darnold
-81 Josh Allen

:allears:

looks about right

CyberPingu posted:

Tinfoil hat theory which i 100% dont actually believe will happen

Andrew Luck is going to stay in retirement up until the point where hes eligible to join any team again

By this time, Brady will be done. Luck signs with the Pats.

You're a dirty fucker you know that. Look at the places your mind goes when it gets the chance smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

quote:

According to Over The Cap, Cousins is being paid $29 million this year in salary and bonuses. That's an average of $1.8 million over 16 game checks. That means Cousins earned more than $150,000 for each of his 12 dropbacks (ten passes, one sack, one DPI) in this game. The Vikings, of course, will be perfectly happy writing those checks as long as they win by multiple touchdowns every week.

lol

quote:

Mariota's three touchdowns came on three consecutive throws over the third and fourth quarters, producing a total of 89 DYAR between them. His other 25 dropbacks were pretty bad. Obviously, if you take away any quarterback's best plays, his numbers are going to look worse, but it's kind of stunning how useless Mariota was outside his explosion. His average completion gained a league-high 12.4 yards after the catch.

Interesting. Browns really did not handle RAC well, Mariota was average for the most part which is kind of what I thought from watching the game

quote:

Minshew's debut was fantastic, better in relief than most starters this week, but we must point out that his gaudy completion percentage was padded by a lot of dumpoffs. He had eight failed completions in three quarters and change; Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan led the league with 10 failed completions each this week. Minshew completed all five of his third-down throws, but only two resulted in first downs.

Just putting this here because Minshew was rated above guys like Mariota, Watson, Rivers, Wilson, Cousins, Brissett, etc.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I Am Tobias Gray

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

His ranting was hilarious on the Sunday night podcast.

That's weird, I haven't gotten a new podcast from ATNFL since the preview show?

Wes is always the worst one, though. He's regressive and reactionary and buys into all kinds of dumb cliches; usually supports management not players and he's kinda smarmy on top of it all.

Marc Sessler is my favorite because he's just so neurotic that I love him

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sponges posted:

He seems to be the most knowledgeable of the four overall though.

I like Gregg. Chill dude even if he is a Pats fan.

That's not saying all that much honestly, and I think he knows a lot less than he thinks he knows.

Agreed though, Gregg is rad and my second favorite easily. For a Pats fan he's a good dude, and there's plenty of Pats fans podcasters (Bill Simmons, that guy from the Ringer) that I refuse to listen to for their unconscionable smarminess

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hair plugs are truly amazing

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I remember him hurting one of his own teammates on a pointless late hit on a guy going out of bounds, is that guy okay?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

According to Gruden via roto he's going to be ok. Nothing public about his status

It's Gareon Conley noted rapist

when i want to just be happy that a human being is going to be okay after a scary injury, turns out they're a rapist. of course they are

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OxySnake posted:

Dropping a 6th round pick on..... the 5th option for Darnold?

(Crowder, Anderson, Quincy, Bell..... DT?)

he takes quincy's spot imo. he's an upgrade

He's rejoining the team week 14 to be given another easy ring. I thought this was known

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

He’s totally insane if he does it.

Those comments he made about how miserable he was physically and emotionally...that didn’t sound like a dude who would ever want to play again.

He's not gonna actually play, just rejoin the team as a backup. Problem solved, Gronk gets his ring for free and nobody gets hurt (except for whoever they cut to make room for him lol)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Barnwell podcast started a discussion on who would win a footrace between Eli Rivers and Ben. This is an important question

Eli

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Level ground? Eli.

Downhill? Ben.

Rivers is last yet again

:hmmyes: Ben does have a very spherical shape, effective for rolling downhill

not sure if you can call that footrace though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Meanwhile the Dolphins are not even as bad as the Bills were last year opening day against the Ravens.

What the heck Ravens.

That's just because the Dolphins scored ten points not three and because the Bills threw 5 turnovers and I think the Dolphins threw one. In a way it's even worse that they got smashed that hard without significant turnovers or defensive scores

He got absolutely roasted in the Saints game multiple times, it was embarrassing. But not as embarrassing as the Texans paying him 18 million dollars

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

The Patriots have no choice but to release him immediately.

:laffo:

sweet thursday posted:

I'm sure Bostonians will handle this with class

double :laffo:

sharknado slashfic posted:

rip lwb, he died as he lived, generally unwanted

completely unwanted. wouldn't want to tarnish this dedication with inaccuracies

iwentdoodie posted:

Please do a parm post

don't mock Zyla! he's a good guy

Larch posted:

Listen. All I'm saying. Look.

All in saying is. It's about the whores really. I'm saying that sometimes the whores. Are dirty. And they lie.

Sometimes.

:shuckyes:

Doltos posted:

Best case scenario: people wait until a guilty or not guilty verdict from the court system before wishing to destroy a person oops we're already past that

dumbasses always say this like public opinion is or should be exactly like a court of law. sorry, it doesn't work like that. Maybe you reflexively disbelieve rape accusations but a lot of people choose not to. It's not like we're setting up a lynch mob to kill antonio brown, we're simply choosing to give a victim the benefit of the doubt given the information available

Doltos posted:

Awful statement

Ignorant statement.

I don't support anything AB does but people should be assumed telling the truth until not and that goes both ways. Lambasting someone because you want them to be guilty is exactly how Johnny Depp's career was ruined and why people don't take victims of sexual assault coming forward seriously. Everyone calling for AB's blood in this thread should be ashamed right now. You're doing no favors to actual victims of sexual assault and rape.

choosing to believe rape accusations until proven otherwise is not "why people don't take victims of sexual assult coming forward seriously"

no, that's more because of people like you

Doltos posted:

Couldn't that just maybe go both ways in that the accused loses too?

I mean people in this thread are really slapping that guilty until proven innocent thing which is the absolute opposite of what the American judicial system was founded on.

say it with me here: PERSONAL AND PUBLIC OPINIONS DO NOT AND SHOULD NOT WORK LIKE A COURT OF LAW

this is the exact same song and dance you always hear from people who want to rush to defend a man from rape accusations, couched in reasonableness and "innocent until proven guilty DURRR" nonsense

Doltos posted:

Yep and this forum would have an entirely different opinion if AB was some amazing community member, which is also dangerous. There are a lot of rapists out there convicted every day hiding behind the facade of a community leader.

no we wouldn't, rape from literally any person would not surprise me and I choose to believe the victim unless there's a reason not to. I don't see a reason like that here, in fact quite the opposite

doltos, you're loving gross man. no two ways about it. Like someone else mentioned, very astutely:

Nail Rat posted:

"innocent until proven guilty" in the case of something that often doesn't have physical evidence is literally the founding rock of rape culture.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Zyla posted:

Good post! I'm not a dude tho!

don't mock zyla! they are good people :D

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think a beer on your helmeted head is really comparable to rape but YMMV

he wasn't accusing you of anything I don't think, just using your post for a little wordplay

japtor posted:

I feel like dumping food/drink should be an allowable gray area if you jump into the crowd's personal space.

if I was in that situation (unlikely) I'd just do some old timey pratfall where I'm surprised by the man jumping up near me, lose my balance, try to gain control of myself and my beverage in a series of ridiculously exaggerated movements but to my GREAT dismay im unable to stop the cup from turning over and expelling its contents.

checkmate motherfucker. being unrealistically clumsy is NOT a crime

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yeah I was gonna say I don't even want to speculate if it was ever consensual or not, it may have been, doesn't change a drat thing. you can tell that's the angle that AB's lawyers are gonna try and take though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand how Saints over Rams can be ESPNs upset pick of the week

rams over saints would be the actual upset imo, even if they are "favored" by 2.5 points

Play
Apr 25, 2006

drat kliff, shooting your shot early huh

Maybe he doesn't know about the hangups this entire sport has about the word "elite"

Grittybeard posted:

Oh I didn't realize that the Ravens and Cards are playing this week.

Two of the most fun quarterbacks to come out recently. Unfortunately I think Kyler might die here.

Absolutely, and more similar than they are different. I hope they become friends :3:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OxySnake posted:

All this great game talk and no one has mentioned MIN @ GB.

The games are usually close and we get to see if Rodgers continues to struggle and if MIN can continue to establish the run

Gonna be a good game.

Yeah here are the ones I'm into as a neutral spectator:

Saints at Rams, although I have a feeling the Saints are gonna smash. Rematch of the NFC Championship game and you know that both teams are gonna treat it that way.

Cardinals at Ravens, what's not to love about these two young, exciting guys who are playing the game in a different way. Ravens will get the win, and I think Kyler will have a tough day against their defense, but I'm interested to see it anyways

Vikings at Packers, divisional game, Vikings will try to run against a tougher defense, Rodgers needs a bounceback from the Bears game. Should be a good deathmatch

Colts at Titans; divisional game, two teams with very talented rosters in a game that could end up having playoff implications. Both teams don't have amazing quarterbacks but they have tons of good players which should make this one a fun one to watch. Hopefully the run gets established

Eagles at Falcons; this is the sunday night game so it's the only one in its timeslot. Should be decent, we'll have to see if Atlanta can bounce back from their sorry showing last week

Browns at Jets; this is the monday night game so it kinda has to go here. Darnold is ill from too much pussy, Leveon's shoulder is dying, the Jets cornerbacks are awful so it's a huge opportunity for Baker and Chubb and the Browns in general to have a great game, at which point everyone will overreact in the opposite direction

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey TFF Chiefs fans what exactly do you do/feel when Tyreek Hill makes a big play and everyone starts to celebrate because I strongly suspect us Patriots fans are going to be in a similar situation unless more news breaks.

This can also apply to Steelers fans and Ben.

SUPPRESS YOUR HUMANITY IN THE NAME OF FOOTBALL

or, you know... don't

Play
Apr 25, 2006

if that happens all hells gonna break lose. definitely checking the cleveland police scanners afterwards

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Jets could live without Darnold. He didn't look that great anyway.

Now Bell being out? They're hosed. He looked fantastic and was the only thing on the field that looked worth a poo poo.

Not sure if even that would be enough, the Browns are gonna be playing real fierce because they got humiliated last week and my money's on Baker torching that Jets secondary.

What's disappointing is not getting to see Darnold have the same opportunity to redeem himself. However bad the Jets were with Darnold, it's gonna be double with Siemian

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

There's a pretty significant sample size that says the Browns do not, in fact, play fiercely after being humiliated the week before.

:shrug: they're still 6 point favorites, I'm more talking about this Jets team being awful than the Browns being great, but I still think we'll see a lot more from the Browns than we saw week 1

seiferguy posted:

This story is getting a netflix adaptation.

Key passage here:

quote:

FBI figures show that police annually declare around 5 percent of rape cases unfounded, or baseless. Social scientists examining police records in detail and using methodologically rigorous standards cite similar, single-digit rates.

So, logically it makes sense to give credence to accusations because 19 out of 20 times it's legitimate

Hot Diggity! posted:

What if Thomas had mono, the Patriots knew, so they traded him over to the Jets...just asking questions here people!!!!

the only narrative I will accept is that Darnold died from too much pussy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

I think the Cardinals will upset the Ravens. We are dealing with injuries in the secondary and Fitzgerald is still Fitzgerald.

youre nuts kawalimus. you probably said the same thing before the dolphins game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I'm reading this as THE RUN WILL BE ESTABLISHED

ehhhh...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Jameis threw 2 pick sixes against virtually zero pressure lmfao

I think you're reading that wrong, it's pressure ALLOWED. So what actually happened is Jimmy G went 166 yards, 1 td and 1 int against virtually zero pressure.

Jameis was on the high side as far as pressure faced.

e: guess you already know, my bad

sharknado slashfic posted:

I actually believe he's genuine

As I typed this a bluebird landed by my window so it's either a sign that Kawalimus Is Right or that I am now a disney princess.

Yeah maybe played up a bit on occasion but it's 95% genuine imo

Despera posted:

I gave Sam Darnold mono

you filthy slut. well go to his house and take it back!!

AndrewP posted:

gently caress I can’t wait to watch the Ravens offense again on Sunday. I had to watch Joe plod for 10 years and I am ready for some goddamned touchdowns

Did you watch the Broncos game? He looks like he's up to his waist in molasses, it's almost hard to watch. I know it's not that surprising, he's a year old older so he's even slower but I guess I'd forgotten how athletically challenged he was because he didn't play much last year

Play
Apr 25, 2006

every post is sacred, every post is good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

bill belichik is so loving gross. like, just as a human he's disgusting

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1172173615317639169

Play
Apr 25, 2006

colachute posted:

Thanks, I enjoyed reading this post.

So depending on the system, does a WR only care about the part of the playcall that applies to them? Which means the QB has to remember way more information than everyone else?

This has always been my theory but I’ve never asked.

To answer the other part of your question that doesn't really have to do with terminology, yes different teams run the same plays all the time. In fact at this moment in football it'd be pretty hard to actually come up with something that has never been tried before. Plus, once you run a play in a game the entire league sees it, so obviously there is no way to keep a play secret apart from never ever running it. If a good coach sees a play they like they're going to incorporate it into their gameplan.

As far as like run plays and stuff, there's really nothing new under the sun. Basically every combination of blockers and pullers and rushers has been used at one point or another

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Don't try to retcon the situation that the whole world knew THIS level of grossness and awfulness.

They knew about the rape allegations, which were way worse, and still defiantly started AB in a game that they didn't even need him in. Belichik is loving gross dude. A repulsive little man in every way

The NFL also made sure to mention AB's stats and show AB's touchdown in every single highlight tape despite other players making better and more plays. The whole thing is disgusting and it disturbs me to watch. It's similar to watching TV commentators saying the word Redskins, it's like they're off in their own little world where things like serious rape allegations and obvious racism mean absolutely nothing

Rad Valtar posted:

Also I don’t know who’s worse Trubisky or Flacco. Probably Flacco but at least they know he’s not the future unlike the Bears who are delusional if the think Trubisky should play the rest of the year.

Flacco had 282 passing yards at 70 percent completion. Trubisky, who had 120 yards and a sub-60% completion percentage was much, much worse. So bad that the fact he won that game after playing so badly was actually record-breaking in itself

Play
Apr 25, 2006

King Hong Kong posted:

This seems like it’s pretty damning of the stat if most of these teams wind up with a 6-10 or better record.

DVOA is analysis on past games, it's not supposed to be predictive afaik

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So assuming Ben never takes another snap, he's probably HoF bound right?

I would assume so but other people have a better handle on what it takes to get in, personally i don't really give many fucks about the hall of fame because the standards are constantly changing and a lot of it is subjective and a bit of a popularity contest

Play
Apr 25, 2006

colachute posted:

I 100% agree. But that doesn’t change the fact that if he’s cut, there will be a rapist playing some other week.

This is how the NFL is. And we support it whether we admit it or not.

all it takes is a team or two to take a moral stand and say that some things are too serious and are beyond football. there are coaches who would've gotten rid of him already, for sure. bill isn't one of them because he's a bad person

saying oh it's just the NFL at fault means totally abdicating responsibility from all the coaches and front office people in the teams themselves, which is bullshit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

regardless of what happens to that player, a team could at least say that they aren't going to have someone like that on their team. that means something in itself. it's not that hard, and there are teams that would do it in this situation. the patriots aren't one of them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

it's weird for the NFL because people get pissed at them for playing detective but also pissed when they don't do anything to punish players.. this situation is especially weird because it's a civil suit not a criminal one; I feel like the inevitable result is Brown paying this lady off for raping her and going right back to playing football without any punishment whatsoever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

why are blocks in the back illegal? I swear I've seen several defensive players turning their torsos on purpose so that they can draw that flag and I'm wondering why it's relevant which direction a player is facing when they get blocked. If it was originally to stop neck injuries from dudes being blasted in the back, seems like a hard hit in the back could be a foul but if you're just laying your hands on the guy so that he can't get to the ball carrier, why the gently caress should that be a foul anyways?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'd rather they not introduce more complexity to yet another judgement call.

then just stop calling it entirely, it's a lame rule that doesn't make sense and causes great plays to get called back and more flags

what kind of sicko are you that you love flags so much

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Because then you will have people getting blasted in the back which is the whole loving point of the rule, jesus christ.

stop melting down, the thing is it already is a judgement call. you see guys put their hands on a dudes back when they're blocking all the time but it either doesn't get called or they put their hands up in time. so already it's pretty ambiguous how much you can get away with, this would actually make it less ambiguous by allowing those blocks so long as they aren't overly forceful

it's pretty easy to tell if a guy is just keeping a guy out of the play with their hands versus blasting them in the back with their shoulders and helmets. like the difference between a clean tackle and a personal foul, which is what a hard block in the back should be. whatever the situation if you have players intentionally turning themselves so they can get blocked in the back that means the rule is bad because it's being abused in gameplay. I've been seeing guys overrun the play and then turning their backs right when they're about to be blocked, that's not a great look because they can see the block coming completely they're just trying to draw the flag

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jethro posted:

Was that a point of emphasis this year or something? Before yesterday I'm not sure I remember the last time I saw a block in the back called not on a punt return.

Either way, just don't block people in the back. Numbers + no face = don't touch.

I've seen guys use the strategy of putting their hands up in the air and kind of gently running into a guys back with their stomach to show the refs that they aren't TECHNICALLY blocking in the back, they just happen to be in the same area

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hifi posted:

I think it's a sportsmanship thing like tripping or leg whipping

that does make sense, and I'm sure it's pretty painful to take a hard shove in the back when you're unaware. Anyone who's had that happen to them knows it's not fun, your head snaps backwards and it strains your neck.

But I also think it's bullshit for defenders to play in a particular way in order to get penalties called. They can see the block coming, they know they're out of position and so they turn their back to the block to maybe stop a big play. They're fully aware of the block coming so there's no element of not being able to see it coming

Maybe my solution was garbage but I'm seeing so many of those penalties recently and I was wondering what people thought about that. Maybe there is no solution and it's best the way it is, it's just a bit annoying to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Asema posted:

I know this.

Blocks in the back lead to a bunch of bad injuries

Apparently the rule was enacted in 2006, when I wasn't watching a lot of football. So I don't know whether it causes injuries because I haven't seen much football without that rule. I don't think I've ever seen a called block in the back result in an injury to the blocked player, although I'm sure you're right that it does happen.

For what it's worth I checked the rules and the refs are not supposed to call a foul if the defender turns away when contact is imminent. I would say they do that all the time regardless, but apparently that is part of the rule which makes me a bit happier.

Also, Taysom Hill is 3 years OLDER than Teddy B? How is that possible