Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

who did the mission hill characters vote for

Al Gore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Zvahl posted:

bet matt lauer and kevin spacey are pissed as poo poo they didn't wait to be sex pests until after the democrats decided it was okay

ellen will get to do an aw shucks I'm sorry apology on the view in 2023 to meghan mccain and make everything peachy again because it's immoral to waste a perfectly good token voice you can use to spread celebrity worship

Kevin Spacey is having people murdered and gloating about it on video. He seems to be having the time of his life actually.

Al Franken is the one whose probably pissed.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzItS5BmUNw

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

And starcraft was blatantly ripping off Aliens. Its almost as if culture builds on what came before it. Such cultural evolution is a constant theme of the Dune series and why it should be required reading for all.

Actually, Aliens was a ripoff of Starcraft. James Cameron should feel ashamed of himself.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wheeee posted:

the gently caress is worf doing on ds9

Something something Dominion something something Klingon War something something WE NEED A KLINGON EXPERT

and then he stuck around.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

really set the stage for black panther

loving those coups to install a friendly power

how dare you

Martok is a man of the people

and he only has one eye which is really cool

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

tbf he didn't just, like, open some stem training centers on bajor

Okay look

C'mon

The Bajorans needed a place to learn Mok'bara

It's like the ultimate form of martial arts and yes it was Worf's idea to open them but that doesn't mean Martok's a puppet of the federation or anything

How are they supposed to move up in the world without the job skills they learn by practicing Mok'bara!?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I showed John Wick to my friend and he said the choreography in that movie was bullshit and lame and he could do it better with less money.

You know what? He was right!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bloodwine is super strong, too.

Funny thing is that it's a repeated theme that 50 years of occupation have led to a lot of Bajorans having few skills outside 'guerilla warfare' so coming in to teach them martial arts sounds like it might make the problem hilariously worse

I dunno, it sounds like you're describing a group of go-getters with plenty of fire in their bellies, and training them in new methods of self-actualization can only make things better!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1309226029672796160

He made a little video about it too!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Is that moviebob video a fun hatewatch at least?

I'm still a MCU agnostic, but I could use a good laugh. But unsure if it's worth improving Bob's metrics by one view.

Eh, I have a high tolerance for this sort of thing, but he said you shouldn't be happy that superhero movies are gone because it deprives working class people in Hollywood jobs, which is a massive oversimplification but whatever.

Then about halfway through he implies that if you don't like Marvel Superhero Movies or Disney or corporate culture, then you are an antisemite.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dreylad posted:

i don't even know what the gently caress he's talking about

A handful of dumb/desperate people have died in the North Dakotan wilderness trying to find the money from that movie because they thought it was a true story, but I don’t think that’s what he is talking about.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/1342716929069305856

digging how this was apparently supposed to be seen as a compliment and not a burn

Death of the author rules.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

There is also the possibility that it's propaganda value outweighed its financial value.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

dumb people who would say wonder woman is good already believe the stuff it preaches tho?

Everybody knows what Pepsi is, but that doesn't mean Pepsi Corporation can stop reinforcing their brand.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't that actually a whole thing with a formerly omnipresent soda brand that stopped advertising and coke ate their lunch overnight? Moxie, I think it was?

It could have been. It's presence has regressed in the past decades. The articles I have found on Moxie seem to suggest that it was a preferred regional brand in the New England area, but under Capitalism, that isn't good enough. As a global brand, Coke easily acquired it in 2018, and have made moves to discontinue it in 2020. So now nobody gets to have it. Yay!!!

Profitability isn't enough. Your corporation has to grow like a malignant tumor, or it will be devoured.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

-Avengers 2 could have been an acceptable end to the franchise, honestly. That movie was the exact waterline for when Marvel movies started to wear out their welcome.

-Thor 2 was bland, but inoffensive. No defense of real world warcrimes!

-It wasn't called Wolverine 2, it was called The Wolverine. God get it right

-Was Amazing Spiderman 2 the Andrew Garfield one? If it was, at least it didn't try to replace Uncle Ben with Tony Stark

-Iron Man 2 was a mess, but it had some nice action scenes directed by Genedy Tarakovsky.

-Didn't see Ant Man 2, but I know for a fact that the Marvel Geek Film Squad slathered on about how great it was when it came out.

-Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was actually a good movie. gently caress off Brianna.

From what I have seen, all of these movies seem better than Wonder Woman 1984.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Megaman 2 was better than Megaman 1.

Check and Mate!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Loveshaft posted:

That movie had to balls to trash Obama and liberals before his reelection... to positive reviews!

Well, that's why Obama founded his own production company. Now nobody in Hollywood can be mean to him! Ever!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Craig Mazin is a massive tool. He and a group of showrunners tried to undermine a WGA strike from within about a year back.

Big shocker he's not a big fan of Communism!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Irish Wizard Grandma Sexghost

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

wizard episodes are some of the best star trek episodes

I like the wizards that are giant lazy floating heads

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKrMf3WTOM

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

i love that ending so much because it is like, that should be a civilization altering encounter

these fuckers can seamlessly intertwine organic minds with machines and transcend what is thought to be the speed limit at which matter can be conveyed through space

and they are just like "doo dee doo, we spent a week hanging out and they lent us some books and records and we are going to stay in touch"

The giant wizard head wanted the crew of the enterprise to construct a giant fancy pipe, fill it with hash, light it, and the put it in his mouth. He would then thoughtfully puff from it while making “mmm” and “ohhh” noises. Perhaps the occasional “ahhh.”

Picard said no, because smoking is bad for you.

Negotiations broke down from there.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Eh, Garth Ennis is one of those people from the UK that romanticize the idea of America. Like, they know the reality is poo poo, but they can't let go of the mythical dream of what its supposed to represent.

...which is kind of ironic because Ennis hates it when Americans do that to Ireland.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

Westworld season 3 is Extremely Stupid

There's a season 3 of Westworld?

...WHY???

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

What's really funny is thumbing through the Letterboxd reviews for Wandavision (which is a series, not a movie, lmao, letterboxd is for movie reviews) is just how loving desperate they are to stick it to "Marvel haters." Like just picking a few quotes at random here:

It's really indicative how identical this poo poo feels to the reaction around Biden's inauguration. A discourse of dominance of those on the wrong team, celebrating a victory for corporate America above all else, and imagining an elaborate fiction of a future that will never come to pass. It's really this sort of horrific mirror of the neoliberal superculture that the political ruling class is trying to ram down everyone's throat, and what your expected behaviors and reactions are, and it's interesting to see this poo poo play out over the next 4 years as the contradictions heighten to levels never thought possible.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You seriously underestimate their ability to fall back on lazy cliches and dismiss anything not pandering to them, or in MovieBob's case likely take away the most horrible possible message from it

Like that one guy in CineD who watched Dredd as part of a challenge and unironically said 'Every criminal Dredd kills is a cycle of violence ended'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LAMQ8U27c

This is Moviebob's top ten movie list of 2017. One superhero movie and one star wars movie. The rest are actual movies. However, Moviebob, like many film critics nowadays, isn't really a film critic anymore. He's a Disney PR guy. So he can't hype these real movies he actually enjoys as much as the Marvel stuff, because that's not his job.

Really, most of these critics have sold their soul for status (god knows they're barely getting paid for it) and they know it, they just didn't realize their respectability was part of the bargain too, and nothing is more valuable to the critic class then having their opinions respected. And now everyone has figured it out, and nobody respects them, because at the end of the day who respects a PR guy, especially one who shills themselves for next to nothing.

They used to be a doorman in a fancy uniform, but now their uniform has been changed red polo shirt and a pair of tan khaki pants, and people are starting to laugh at them.

Oh, but they will have the last laugh. Any day now, they will have the last laugh! Yes they will, Yes they will...

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jan 22, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

And now, something borderline impenetrable:

https://twitter.com/msmlroberts/status/1352954492363403264

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I guess horseshoe theory does apply to film critics.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is doom crippled and that's why he wears the armor? I don't know the comics that well

His face was either

1. Horribly scarred by a lab accident that may or may not have been caused by Reed Richards.
2. Or, according to Jack Kirby, only received a tiny scar on his cheek, but he's so prideful that he can't stand the minor imperfection, so he now wears a mask.
3. Or he originally had a small scar, but scrambled his face when he first put his mask on while it was still burning hot.

I prefer 2, but most go with 1 or 3.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Jan 26, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

There was an arc in the fantastic four comic where Doom was replaced with the "legitimate" heir to the Latverian throne, Prince Zorba Fortunov. Prince Zorba almost immediately went mad with power and ran the country into the ground. Everyone in Latveria celebrated when Doom retook the country, because they were genuinely happy to have him back.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Dr. Doom would be the least bad U.S. president in history by an impossible margin.

This is the plot of Doom 2099.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It literally is, Black Panther was made as Dr Doom's counterpart

Doom is also ethnic Roma

I can't remember the context, but there was this time in the comics where Magneto, Dr. Doom, and the red skull were all involved in some dumb supervillian team up. It ends with Doom and Magneto being left alone with the Red Skull, and both deciding to trap him in a bunker in the middle of the desert, leaving him to die a slow and agonizing death.

The funny part is Red Skull was genuinely shocked by their betrayal, and had no idea why they would possibly want to do that to him.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

I hope that joke landed, I don't read comics but I think he's a doctor

He doesn't actually have a doctorate in anything, but nobody's going to tell him that.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hell yeah

I should watch this after I'm finished with MacGyver in Space.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

it's really just the best show, everyone who was ever on Star Trek is also on Babylon 5

jeffery combs, John Snyder, Walter Koenig, David Warner, and so on

Cool. I will check it out.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Remember that Daily Show bit about Dick Cheney having a Stargate Sarcophagus that plays "Let the Eagles Soar" sung by John Ashcroft?

That's what Saturday Night Life is for liberals.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

General Dog posted:

I have never in my life heard another adult say, in a general sense, “SNL is funny.” No one has ever said or even thought that the SNL of that present day is funny, only that it was funny at some indefinite point in the past.

People liked the David S. Pumpkins sketch.

...which was about five years ago.

Bill Hader was pretty funny when he was on SNL.

...which was almost ten years ago.

I think.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

lol that reminds me of this one guy's student film I watched in college that was just a shot by shot remake of the ghost episode from Paranoia Agent.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

HBO really circling the drain

I dunno, I think it might be pretty funny.

Not on purpose, but it will be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wheeee posted:

except it is awesome to be in the mafia right up to the end where you end up dead or in jail

I imagine doing cocaine all the time and getting into outlandish domestic disputes with your equally drug-addled wife would start to wear on you after a while.