Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The crazy thing is that Astro Boy probably had everything beat

Funny thing reading old Astro Boy aside from it being a bit all over the place (and ranging from having some very outdated racist stereotypes to some incredibly progressive details and storylines given it was the goddamn 50s) is that they deal with a lot of stuff about robot rights and treatment while also that robots aren't human and don't act or think like humans even when they can pass as human- and when given the opportunity, don't necessarily want to once they understand the full implications.

Also, there's a bit where Astro meets a Japanese-American man who flat out says that he experienced racism from white Americans, and after that faded he noticed how badly they treated black Americans, and then when robots came along they basically just transferred the exact same behaviour towards them. Seems especially poignant since that storyline ends with him revealed to having been slowly turned into a robot to survive a terminal disease after Astro leaves, and goes to apply to be treated as a human, but is literally torn apart by a lynch mob on the front steps of the government office)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

R2 and 3PO iirc are based on a peasant duo in The Hidden Fortress and are basically coded as servants, as are nearly all droids basically the underclasses. Droids owned by royalty are shiny and well-maintained while droids owned by slaves themselves are naked and gaunt, and a wealthy oligarch's palace has a torture chamber for misbehaving and poorly performing droids when they aren't just shot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The classic EU is a never ending source of amazingly dumb poo poo in between endless pap that's basically literally just redoing random bits from the OT over and over and over and over again with original character do not steal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though this is Jar Jar they're talking about

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

piss looks better than vomit

I dunno, vomit can be interesting depending on what you've eaten

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont see anybody discuss the lotr movies at all anymore which i think is probably the most damning criticism anyone can make of a franchise that was once considered hot poo poo by nerds and critics alike

I mean it's been how long? And it's not exactly deep material, or new. I figure people have mostly had all the discussion they're going to get out of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

they should have made Poe a series of clones

When Finn runs to greet Oscar Isaac at the resistance, just have Isaac's be really confused about why this guy is so happy to see him

thematically, i have no idea what this would do to the film, but i'm still for it

Duncan Idapoe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

tghey should make all the star wars writers read all the tie in books but only so they feel embarrassed when they try to pull the same contrived poo poo

I'm p sure that's cruel and unusual punishment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Somehow the end result of all this comes off as something thrown together at the last minute

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Panzeh posted:

Pretty much every post-TFA movie feels like two movies kind of stitched together to varying degrees- i get the sense that disney hires these directors and writers with some vision, then brings in a script doctor to re-shoot the movies really late in production to be more 'star wars'

None of them are particularly horrible, though the glimpses of more imaginative movies hurts all of them at least a little.

I'm not really convinced Rian Johnson's "gently caress star wars" version of TLJ was actually that good a movie, either, but then I also don't think KOTOR2 is very good because "what if star wars was illogical and dumb" is not a question i need a big plot line to explore.

The point is having an idea and sticking with it is better than trying to make Corporate Product For Mass Consumption (C)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

we live in a kingdom

princesses rise up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The prequels at the very least had Lucas clearly watch a shitload of old pulp stories for ideas, while the sequels just watched Star Wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Forceholy posted:

A new hope is a Sci Fi version of Kurosawa's the Hidden Fortress.

Also, Ran is amazing. King Lear in feudal Japan. Hell yeah.

I heard that wasn't the original intention but a friend of Kurosawa read the screenplay and thought it was a take on King Lear, and Kurosawa read the play and decided to make the movie more like it, including some direct quotes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

hollywood does this in general i dont think they actually know how to make movie stars anymore because its hard to come up with any other reason why they keep pretending like liam neeson is an action hero

i wanna guess theres context for this that makes him look less like a murderous psycho but it actually makes him look like more of a murderous psycho doesnt it

I mean the last time they tried that was Shia LeBouf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm like 6 monthd late to the party but i just saw the last avenfers movie and lmfao it is so bad. the infinity stones are magic mcguffins that can perform any wish the owner can imagine, except it can't return two very specific people to life because the rest of the avengers just decide "nope it's impossible" but nobody even notices that the vision doesn't get brought back. also you have to sacrifice what you love most to get the soul stone which makes sense w/ thanos & gamorra but makes no sense for jeremy & widow b/c neither one of them love the other and in fact they're both enthusiastically suicidal soooo . . . ? oh an apparently the hulk can wish everyone back to life AND impart in them the knowledge of the last 5 years BUT he can't also throw in a rider to just nuke thanos where ever he currently is? and octogenarian cap at the end implies nothing in the main timeline changes despite the fact that now he obviously won't exist to be cap in the early 2000s

time travel as a plot device is always shite but man avengers end game managed to handle it in the dumbest way possible

While the movie is dumb a lot of those are kinda dumb points; kind of the point is Widow and Hawkeye DO love each other as comrades in arms and literally fight over who gets to be the sacrifice and all, and the Hulk didn't tell them what had happened in the last 5 years so much as the wizards probably filled them in on 'Hey, the war's over here now', and Cap p clearly sent himself back to about when he was originally frozen so there's two Caps in the timeline, same deal as the cap-on-cap violence earlier.

The Infinity Stones are basically Dragon Balls for all intents and purposes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just gonna assume it has no dialogue and is just fett and baby yoda doing shenanigans, crimes and shenanigan crimes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Huh, the protag of Lone Wolf and Cub is actually kind of a bastard as well (I remember there's a bit where he watches his target rape a woman to death and doesn't intervene because it's not opportune) so maybe fitting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean after the sequels have been a recycled-piss-drinking incoherent retelling of Star Wars being Star Wars it seems fitting to actually go to back to the well of cowboy and samurai stories

I gotta admit I'm a sucker for retro sci-fi stuff like hand-loaded disintegrator rifles. It feels like forever since any new sci-fi has had a consistent visual theme and language for its technology; Star Trek was pretty good at it too, with distinct aesthetics for different cultures and factions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rogue One is def a case where the first 2/3 of the movie was hacked to pieces in the cutting room and it's real lucky the finale is crazy good.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

In general, just do other genre stuff in that setting! Branch out and do something that isn't A Star Wars in the same setting as star wars

Remember when they pitched rogue one as oceans eleven: star wars? Gimme that

That's basically what Star Wars (and Star Trek for that matter) is for. Hell, most good sci-fi is basically riffs on other stuff but with aliens and robots. Originality is mashing random genre trappings together around a formula until you get something that looks new.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Should say something that the best part of Rogue One was when everyone died

The best thing to come out of Disney buying Star Wars is still the first thing: the Phineas and Ferb crossover

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The funny thing is how the death star plans were stolen has like a dozen mutually exclusive Expanded Universe takes

It's the first mission of Dark Forces (Doom but Star Wars) iirc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the least plausible part of the entire movie, for me, was the last few minutes at the end where they're having tony's funeral and his 5 year old daughter is slightly glum but otherwise disinterested about the whole thing. i've seen kids have the ugliest meltdowns imaginable over "the milk in my cereal is too wet"; there's no way an actual child has to learn that one of their parents is dead and they just stoically accept the news

Spider-man's actor iirc didn't know it was a funeral scene and thought it was a wedding

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Death of Superman is one of those comic things that's actually super mediocre even at the time and adaptations tend to be better by rightly cutting the incredible amounts of chaff.

Was actually a theme in the 90s of 'Hero dies/gets taken out of action and replaced by a dark edgy antihero', even Wonder Woman had Artemis, and Knightfall ended up being a stealth pisstake of sorts, since Azrael is pretty unstable from the word go, though also interesting since he has his own thing going on as a mystical religious fanatic. While Reign of the Superman mixes things up with a bunch of different Supermen with different styles and motivations, including Steel who actually goes full on shining hero as much as he can.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lawl that the new hipster thing is to act like you're a downtrodden righteous minority for stanning a multibillion dollar utterly mainstream blockbuster franchise for supposed societal relevance in the face of films that openly tackle class struggle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The sequels are bad in slightly different ways to the prequels

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fandoms are the world class champions at completely missing the point of what they claim to be obsessed with

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I recently bumble dicked my way into reading some of Alan Moore's earliest comics in 2000ad and it's really funny reading these short (but good) tales from the crypt rear end twist ending stories and going and in like six years he's writing watchmen

Doesn't Watchmen have an episode of The Outer Limits in the background which is basically the same twist as the plot?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now everybody's gonna be making GBS threads on Marvel movies!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was a whole thing with a character who has a show now that he wears a jetpack

It's like people in the real world being surprised when soldiers are riding in helicopters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Man being the breakout Marvel superhero should have been a warning sign, since military-industrial complex apologia is literally what he was made for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

did anyone in watchmen have an actual goal or was everybody just so hell bent on gaining godly powers they didnt even stop to ask why they wanted them

This actually sounds like a pretty good premise for a comic book

Supergod is basically 'Every nation on Earth tries to make their own Dr Manhattan, each goes catastrophically wrong in different ways'. It ain't great but it's interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i say swears online posted:

it's probably symptomatic of a larger problem that theres been virtually zero media involving Afghanistan the last 18 years

Weirdly enough the only thing I can think of is MGSV. And even that's a period piece.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Peters middle name is also Benjamin, loser Spidey is our Spidey

Peter B Parker was basically Ditko era Spidey; luckless, aloof and selfish.

I watched a video that pointed out Spider-verse is basically the first time Miles Morales has gotten a significant personality and spotlight, since his original comics debut was kind of a mess and the MCU basically ripped everything original about his life for their version of Peter Parker, so Spider-verse had to play up different elements of the character to have him stand out from the various Peters. Having him be more creative and social than geeky Parker makes for a new perspective, as well as his family already being involved on both sides of the law and giving him an existing connection to the superhero/villain world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just make Goku vs Superman already

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

dont do this it'd be really bad

The last opponent of Dragon Ball Super was basically a Superman analogue and was pretty good, plus Dragon Ball is still secretly a gag manga with more than enough thematic flexibility.

I suppose you just want to stop DC from loving it up too much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

When you think about it, Goku is just superman raised by a martial artists instead of american farmers.

But also Homer Simpson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tlj really loving hates that you remember anything but also desperately wants to sell you poo poo based on nostalgia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone's forgotten the context star wars was made in to the point of all the guns being modded ww2 guns as props

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lol that disney managed to ruin star wars worse than lucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Wars is gonna make a shitton of money and be completely forgotten in a week while Cats is going to be a meme factory, I'd bet.