Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
she ra is better than he man because she ra leads an insurgency against a foreign colonizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

how gay is the new she ra show ive heard its like insanely gay but i was also told that korra was a lesbian so im inclined to think that serious articles about childrens cartoons may not be undergoing proper journalistic rigour

i have no idea considering there is only one princess of power :colbert:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Originally he was a Navy analyst sub nerd who got roped into events during The Hunt for Red October because he figured out that the Soviets had created a mostly silent drive for their sub and that the crew was planning to defect.

This is stupid because America already had this and the Soviets never did.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Ubisoft sucks in general. I don't like any of the poo poo they make.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

the first season is just solid as hell horror, especially the first half. second isn’t as good, still decent, but it suffers from having a main character behave arbitrarily stupid when they had avoided that in the past.

haven’t watched the third yet.

the second season is exactly the same as the first with 100% more REFERENCES thrown in. it does, however, include Steve's hair regimen so i give it a B-

didnt watch the third because the second proves that the creators just arent that... creative

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I watched The Princess & The Frog on Netflix recently because I'd never seen it before and it's really some poo poo. Doing a story set in New Orleans during the 1930s while subsuming all hints of racial animus is peak Disney whitewashing. The closest it gets to acknowledging the historical reality is when the realtors tell Tiana that she lost the bid on the lot for her dream restaurant because of her "background." You could assume that's because she's black, but narratively it reads that she's poor. If you're going to ignore all the racial politics of the South in the 20s while trying to tell a story about black people, then the only way to do it is if there aren't any whites.

That's before we even get to the blatant class war. Doctor Facilier is only a bad guy because he resents rich people and wants to be rich himself. Same for Prince Naveen's fat English butler, who resents being treated like a slave his whole life and wants to turn the tables. Meanwhile Big Daddy, the white land baron of New Orleans is one of the good guys. Also, in my brain I knew I should hate Big Daddy for being a capitalist, but I had to like him because he was voiced by John Goodman. A dirty trick, imo.

On top of all of that it uncritically reconstructs the domestic ideology of pre-2000s Disney films. Tiana's dream of honoring her dead WW1 vet father by realizing his restaurant is treated as delusional. What she really needs is a loving relationship with a good man. So it's real convenient that in the end she gets to have both based on the mere technicality that when she frog marries Naveen she legally becomes a princess. So the movie undermines the ambitions of its own protagonist and its central theme at the same time by insisting you should be able to have both - even if you didn't really want it before. What a loving mess.

Still some of the music is good, and it's visually one of the most interesting Disney movies. I wouldn't recommend showing it to your kids or a niece/nephew unless you're willing to contextualize it for them at some point. It's just some dumb Disney bullshit. This was supposed to be Disney's send up for black girls and it still managed to be one of the most problematic films they've ever made, circa 2009.

I did like that the bankers still didn't want to give her the place at the end (cuz they are racist, she's royalty at this point); they had to be threatened with violence by alligator in order to enter into a fair deal.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Serf posted:

i remember watching a video where a guy trying to figure out the economics of star trek was like "if star trek was truly communist, then small businesses like sisko's dad's restaurant wouldn't exist"

lol in light of replicators communism is the only system under which sisko's dad's restaurant could exist

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

captain america played as an actual ultra patriotic guy from the forties would own because half of him would be him pissing everyone off with retrogade assumptions and the other half would be him looking at everyone else in horror because we run a profit military that he would almost certainly recognize as essentially fascist

noone will ever write a version like that because captain america exists as a vehicle for liberal writers to wank about how theyre the real patriots theyd rather write weird bullshit about him being enrolled in a gay nazi boarding school than have him be racist against italians

i think they did a story once where he was portrayed as being naive for not realizing that twins gently caress each other all the time in the 21st century but thats uh not really a very good example of antiquated prejudice

no one will ever write a version like that because he'd spend the whole movie trying to justify why he called nick fury the n word

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Percelus posted:

it is really dumb a guy who killed people and fed them to his plant gets the pollyanna ending, that is almost dexter series finale levels of bad writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjFvcw6ToQ

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the period appropriate cap is joe biden. just his brain in cap's body, throwing corn pop in the dumpster

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Seth MacFarlane is clearly at a point where he hates family Guy and only does it because it gives him the money and the pull with fox to do whatever other dumb bullshit he wants to do, like his live action TNG fanfic show

fox cancelled family guy and that scared him out of doing anything good

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Serf posted:

yeah i think the movie is about misogyny in a way, but it isn't misogynistic. it seemed to be about the artistic process, and the muse archetype/stereotype

i thought the relationship between her and the author/god/husband was interesting, because she's everything, and he's really nothing. he's "god," but he's nothing. he has authority because people think he does. she is nature. she is the whole of creation. he's not.

and nature, as a whole, is not as pretty as jennifer lawrence. nature is full of flies and locusts and storms and floods and disease and all kinds of bad things. but to turn that into jennifer lawerence, the fertile, all welcoming Mother Earth, you have to excise all that bad and put it somewhere else. you create a male figure and attribute all the bad things in nature to Him (and then many religions banish him to the sky so he's far away while Mother Earth stays close). but the bad things are also the powerful things: the hurricane, the thunderstorm. making Mother Nature less scary also makes her weak while privileging this illusory male figure.

i havent seen the movie.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

The Lighthouse is p good. I seen it, yer fond of me lobster!

The isn't The Lighthouse. It's a couple of dudes! Is that what she wanted to go for???

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Westworld Season 1 sort of wrote itself into a corner because the only place it could go was outside of Westworld. I'm guessing they didn't have the budget for that, which is why Season 2 just kept going around in circles to run down the clock.

most of the robots got beamed to robot heaven, right? but how does the satellite they were beamed to have as much computing power as a server farm submerged in liquid coolant?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

i say swears online posted:

X is MLK and magneto is malcolm X how is this so hard to understand

well a liberal version of MLK, stripped of all capitalist criticism and the actual communists who were close to him

and then malcom X if malcolm X was also hitler

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

so im on the final season of man in the high castle and this show has officially reached peak grossness with a plot about violent armed black liberation against the japanese occupation because japanese racism against black people is so unprecedented they dont even let black people work in food service

i think the weirdest part of watching this is like nine times out of ten socially conscious fiction about this historical period goes too far in making the bigotry too absurd and man in the high castle does this too but to the completely differently aimed effect of implying that all the bad stuff is uniquely incomprehensibly bad compared to reality as we know it

like youd never guess from man in the high castle as a reference that this was a time period of moral panics and xenophobic paranoia and aggressive government surveillance against political action because these are all presented as uniquely nazi and japanese ideas incomprehensible to people outside of these contexts i mean hell one major plot point seems to imply that nazis are just waltzing into government offices masquerading as dead people and easily stealing all our scientific breakthroughs at no risk of being discovered

i was done by the end of season 3. "jahr null" was such a complete misapprehension of american history and culture. the very assertion that american culture is inherently anti-fascist paves the way to fascism.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Aliens good because James Cameron not because aliens.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i can satisfy a woman in 12 hours