Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i watched The King last night, it's a pretty good period piece with excellent costuming and combat and acting. plot's not much to speak of and it's somewhat inaccurate with character motivation but i had a good time. i could watch the duel in the beginning over and over

it's insane to me that the younger brother never reappeared after they had a major falling out, i was anticipating him to be a villain

also stereotypical french are dumb and haughty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Speaking of that second paragraph, anyone see Lionheart?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy cow his dark materials is way better than golden compass

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Where can I watch this?

hbo or filez. it's very, very well done

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this may be the most weekly-released shows i'm watching in a decade. i wonder if shows which release an entire season at once are getting backlash

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally watched buster scruggs

four of the six vignettes were masterpieces

I'm not a western movie person but y'all I love the cohens

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

the only weak buster scruggs vignette was the liam neeson one. i want a full on tex avery/tim blake neslon/singing cowboy feature

Yeah the first and prairie sections were best but i was entranced by the tom waits one because being in the mountains totally alone for significant amounts of time is something I've done and loved. The loneliness is terrifying

The dialogue in the last section was just too good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was the most predictable vignette. i liked the lack of dialogue a lot though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indiana jones is better than han solo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it really is my guilty reactionary pleasure

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sebmojo posted:

They are basically talking furniture with emotions I mean can you enslave a weeping side table, no you cannot it is self evidently ridiculous

ehhh, it's a living

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I started watching In This Corner of the World on Netflix just to have something to watch while I ate dinner and now it's got me all hosed up. A lot gets said about how it's impossible to make an effective anti-war movie, with Idi I Smotri being a major exception - but In This Corner of the World also really nails it from a very different approach. There are other anime movies about world war 2 that make you feel bad for the subjects like Grave of the Fireflies, but they mostly rely on base sentiments to string you along to its thesis. Corner really earns its emotional depth by building up its narrative and fully recreating the domestic life of imperial Japan. Every building and object has built up a historical significance because all of them are full of the same kind of stories that we see through the cast, which makes the impact of the war all the more devastating when it arrives. As the date counts down to the point that the raids and firebombings begin it metatextually takes on the tone of a horror movie. The protagonist also has enough talent to be a brilliant post-impressionist, but because of her domestic obligations and the burdens of the war can never work with colors until it ends up being far too late.

What a great loving movie. Give it a shot if you want to get all emotional and poo poo.

Well this just hosed me up good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the UK election debate tonight had a stage that looked like Tron

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

True.

gently caress that episode pissed me off. Dolphin episode levels of poo poo.

Even worse, the negative AV Club review had the critic say the episode was about castor semenya and that's why it was transphobic. she's not even trans lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's $100, not bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy gently caress Irishman was boring. Hoffa's makeup sucked and its 210 minutes long

I turned it off with an hour to go and watched Roma instead and enjoyed that very much

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaaand i'm over it

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1201992855163551744

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lawl that the new hipster thing is to act like you're a downtrodden righteous minority for stanning a multibillion dollar utterly mainstream blockbuster franchise for supposed societal relevance in the face of films that openly tackle class struggle

look, netflix cancelling the lotr prequel is a loss for us all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

recent rick and morty reminds me of when a stupid gaming webcomic would go for way too long and have a weird overly serious plotline that eventually consumed everything else

oh my god https://questionablecontent.net/ is still going

i don't think i've been there since like 2006

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

righteous gemstones is real good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Viet Cong: THEY CAN FLY NOW!?

lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's probably symptomatic of a larger problem that theres been virtually zero media involving Afghanistan the last 18 years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Me and the boys when we capture a rape yacht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscebvM3XPc

I wonder if "turdburglar" is a direct translation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh yeah i'm yahoo serious irl

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those block robots in serenity were hilarious

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

witcher is fun and better than I expected it to be

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Name one media franchise that's gone to total poo poo that's ever come back from it.

90s batman to nolan's* batman

*I have never seen a batman movie and would probably prefer the campy ones to nolan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

an aging rey strangles a now-adolescent baby yoda for longer life

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Re: bows

In the chronicles of narnia susan gets a bow while peter gets the longsword. I didnt see the movies but I assume the same thing happens

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ the opening scene of the mandalorian finale is good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lucy gets a dagger and a healing potion, though not really far off

I had to look that up, thinking Edmund got the knife. I thought she had just gotten the potion. Guess it's been 25 years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when will we finally get a jam band anime

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

double negative posted:

is the ballad of buster scruggs good

i watched it late at night during bad weather while stoned and i found 4/6 of the vignettes absolutely enthralling. the tonal shifts are weird for a second but i was immersed really quickly into each one. this is unpopular but the tom waits one is my favorite. excellent worldbuilding through minimalism, just a great feeling all around. i think it was my favorite movie i saw all last year (i know it's older)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I wasn't as hot on this movie as most of their other stuff but the ending makes the entire thing worth it

it ages well imo. it's the best movie tangentially about the bush administration. i think about clooney's sex wedge a lot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't watched VB since like 2005, what are the later seasons like?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah robot chicken has to absolutely print money

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just don't see how it draws in younger viewers. a teen getting into venture bros in 2021 is like a teen getting into the simpsons in 2007

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Ironically teens are hella into the Simpsons now.

impossible

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

raised by wolves has gone from the most exciting premise i may have ever seen for a tv show to absolute garbage in just a few episodes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Synnr posted:

I mean it looked pretty garbage in the trailer I watched. I admit I didn't really investigate much more than the trailer though. what exactly threw you?

the pilot owned but when the pacing slowed down, the dialogue and plot are just kinda dumb. a couple main characters are unlikable. the robots are cool and the world/setting remains great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Professorjuggalo posted:

I was just joshing to bang off that horrible joke, if anything that made me wanna watch it now so thank you

Yung Marx is boring as gently caress and the cgi goes uncanny valley, don't bother