Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

IMDB | Wikipedia

Season 1 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epcgp45G34Q

:siren: Season 3 begins airing on Tuesday May 25th at 10pm EST on FX and FX On Demand. Episodes go up on Hulu the next day (Wednesday) :siren:

Synopsis posted:

Mr. Inbetween is an Australian television black comedy-drama series. Ray Shoesmith is a deadpan hit-man who navigates his chilling business while also maintaining friendships, parental responsibilities and a fledgling romance.
The series is inspired by the 2005 indy feature film The Magician (2005), which was created, written by and starred Scott Ryan. Ryan reprises his lead role and is also a writer and creator of the series.

Created by Scott Ryan and Nash Edgerton (Director of Gringo, brother of Joel) Mr. Inbetween was commissioned by FX Australia and Foxtel. The plot follows Ray as he raises his precocious daughter Brittany (Edgerton's real-life daughter, Chika Yasumura) as he works as a gun for hire in Sydney's criminal underworld. Ryan wrote each of the 6 x 30 minute episodes in season 1, with Edgerton directing.

Cast

L: Ray Shoesmith (Scott Ryan; acting debut) a father, ex-husband, boyfriend; tough roles to juggle in the modern age. Even harder when you're a criminal for hire.
R: Freddy (Damon Herriman; Justified, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) the local crime boss, owns a nightclub club where Ray works security and debt collection, among other duties.

Brittany (Chika Yasumura) Ray's daughter and moral compass. Owns a swearjar, which Ray is quickly filling.

Bruce Shoesmith (Nicholas Cassim; Home & Away) Ray's older brother who suffers from motor neurone disease. Helps out by looking after Ray's daughter Brittany.

Ally (Brooke Satchwell; Neighbours) An EMT and Ray's girlfriend, who doesn't yet know his true nature.

Gary and his russian wife Tatiana (Justin Rosniak, Lizzie Schebesta) a close friend of Ray who deals guns and causes trouble.

An article on the long road to get this show made

Season 1 recap
https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1170079159596417024

Season 2 begins airing on Thursday September 12th at 10pm EST on FX and FX On Demand.
You can catch up on all of season 1 via FX On Demand or Hulu.

Season 3 begins airing on Tuesday May 25th at 10pm EST on FX and FX On Demand, episodes are put on Hulu the following day.

Season 1 Trailer: Scroll up to top of post.

Season 2 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKEPKKk7HdA
Season 3 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmqUdI9S9a0

Season 1:
101 - The Pee Pee Guy - 25th Sept, 2018
102 - Unicorns Know Everybody's Name - 25th Sept
103 - Captain Obvious - 2nd Oct
104 - On Behalf of Society - 2nd Oct
105 - Hard Worker - 9th Oct
106 - Your Mum's Got a Strongbox - 9th Oct

Season 2:
201 - Shoulda Tapped - 12th Sept, 2019
202 - Don't Be A Dickhead - 19th Sept
203 - I Came From Your Balls? - 26th Sept
204 - Monsters - 2nd Oct
205 - Can't Save You - 10th Oct
206 - Let Me Stop You There - 17th Oct
207 - Watch Out For Snakes - 24th Oct
208 - See You in Your Dreams - 31st Oct
209 - Socks Are Important - 7th Nov
210 - Nice Face - 14th Nov
211 - There Rust, and Let Me Die - 21st Nov

Season 3:
301 - Coulda Shoulda - 25th May, 2021
302 - Champ - 25th May
303 - All I Ever Wanted - 1st June
304 - Cut The Crap Princess - 8th June
305 - Before I Went To War - 15th June
306 - TBA - 22nd June
307 - TBA - 29th June
308 - TBA - 6th July
309 - TBA - 13th July

Posters

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hope FX has this on-demand or on their app so I can rewatch season 1 before tomorrow.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:hellyeah:

Loved season 1 and have been waiting for this to come back!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Good start to the season! I kinda feel like Ray should have checked on that other dude from the car though...

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I feel like this show has been overlooked, but it's fantastic.
I watched the Magician on Amazon last year, it's worth a watch.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This week's episode was so good, I wish more people watched this show. Great to see real consequences for a real issue, even better that it came with an excuse that didn't matter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hey, I didn't know there was a thread for this terrific show, one of my favorites.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That break up scene was pretty powerful. Hope Ray can get her back though, I love seeing those two play off each other.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Looten Plunder posted:

That break up scene was pretty powerful. Hope Ray can get her back though, I love seeing those two play off each other.

Unfortunately I don't have much to add to this, other than that I agree, it was incredibly well done.

I loved that his friend that brought the unicorn was covered head to toe in glitter.
This is also a great example of why I don't like white elephant gift exchanges.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For her sake, I hope they don't reconcile. Ray is full of repressed rage and his violence is escalating, it can't end well.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know. Maybe she CAN fix him!? (I know this is a dumb idea and in no way realistic)

I just love me some Brooke Satchwell. I spent many a school night crushing on her back in the day.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just caught up and binged through all 12 episodes in one sitting.
Instant favourite.
The old railroad tunnel, the breakup scene ... when it hits, it hits hard.

I am a bit concerned that there are quite a couple of balls too many in the air right now to resolve satisfyingly in 4 episodes, but let's gooooo.

Hate to go weeek to week now.

Also, who knew that Dewey Crowe had such a lovely singing voice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It feels like a dangerous and explosive, figuratively speaking, season finale coming.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
My gut feeling is that we're headed towards a big blowup at some point where his two lives intersect. Something feels really off about him doing a hit on a guy that he knows and seems friendly enough with.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, I don't get why he agreed to the hit unless he plans on turning the tables. And why did they ask Nick, a friend of the target, to do the assassination. It all seems wrong. And I get the feeling the spider moment is going to come back to bite him in the rear end, Dewey Crowe is going to burn him.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Who is this Bruce guy living in his garage and what's wrong with him? They probably said at some point but I've forgotten.

Freddy committed what I would think is a major faux pas outing Ray as a hitman to an "alleged" reporter but Ray should have listened to his spidey sense and walked out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

Who is this Bruce guy living in his garage and what's wrong with him? They probably said at some point but I've forgotten.

Freddy committed what I would think is a major faux pas outing Ray as a hitman to an "alleged" reporter but Ray should have listened to his spidey sense and walked out.

His brother who looks like he has some kind of degenerative muscular disease

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jerkface posted:

His brother who looks like he has some kind of degenerative muscular disease

If I had to guess it's a pretty severe case cerebral palsy. I went to school with a guy who had it and it's pretty spot on to how he was.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

God drat, this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just caught up with this show and it’s really good drat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: awful app-related double post

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, that episode.

AFewBricksShy posted:

If I had to guess it's a pretty severe case cerebral palsy. I went to school with a guy who had it and it's pretty spot on to how he was.

It's Motor Neuron Disease AKA The thing that Ice Bucket Challenge was all about

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Holy gently caress, that episode.

It's Motor Neuron Disease AKA The thing that Ice Bucket Challenge was all about

They've been filming all over sydney for B roll and right near some of my hood for A roll in the last 3 or 4 of episodes i've noticed it more and more.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I was legit scared for Gar there for a second.

The "onto something, we'll talk later" message was a setup for him getting murdered if I ever saw one.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How the hell did Ray get a semi-auto shotty into that house without Dewey Crowe seeing it?

And does he just keep that thing in the car? It didn't really look like he stopped at home at any stage.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

How the hell did Ray get a semi-auto shotty into that house without Dewey Crowe seeing it?

And does he just keep that thing in the car? It didn't really look like he stopped at home at any stage.

He's a professional

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mcbexx posted:

I was legit scared for Gar there for a second.

The "onto something, we'll talk later" message was a setup for him getting murdered if I ever saw one.

Yeah I was sweating the whole scene waiting for a double cross, but that's why I like this show, they play it straight.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Yeah I was sweating the whole scene waiting for a double cross, but that's why I like this show, they play it straight.

Wait, you thought his mate was gonna turn on Ray?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Pidgy turning on the friend, I assume.

I also kind of loved that it ended up being a little takedown of Taken. Ray running around threatening people came to nothing compared to Gary steadily working the intel, but yeah, the stickup was pretty harrowing after the text.

I assumed that Ray had the shotgun slid up the back of his shirt/jacket, but he drew it so quick it was hard to tell.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Looten Plunder posted:

Wait, you thought his mate was gonna turn on Ray?

No.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ya know, I thought that last weeks episode very much could have been the season finale. He finished the bikie job and his fried jumped off a cliff, leaving ray in a dark place for season 3 after his girlfriend broke up with him as well. I'm glad there are more episodes but thematically last week was a fine end point.

Looten Plunder posted:

He shoved something into his jacket while closing the car door and his back was to the camera, although it totally wasn't really the shotgun IRL, just acting.

wormil posted:

In the OP

drunkill posted:

Bruce Shoesmith (Nicholas Cassim; Home & Away) Ray's older brother who suffers from motor neurone disease. Helps out by looking after Ray's daughter Brittany.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh, and just like that, the Devros revenge plot was masterfully resolved as well.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Oh, and just like that, the Devros revenge plot was masterfully resolved as well.

Hasn't Ray just started it up again?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looten Plunder posted:

Hasn't Ray just started it up again?

The brother said it was all in the heat of the moment and that he wasn't going to do poo poo.
Dude's an accountant.

It feels like pretty much all plots are wrapped up nicely... except the interview lady. I'm assuming Ray will feel he told her too much and that she has become a liability.

Edit: Ah, welp.
John Wick rule in full effect.
Also, episodes need to be 45 minutes.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 15, 2019

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My eye hurt just watching that.

Did the bikies just want to off him to avoid paying? Not trust him being quiet?

When the guy asked if "Vinnie was quick?". Who's Vinnie? The old president?

Ray must be so goddam rich. I swear he's earned like 500k in the couple of month window of this season alone.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looten Plunder posted:

Did the bikies just want to off him to avoid paying? Not trust him being quiet?

Probably a little of column A, a bit of column B.

Loved that Dave (the other last biker standing) just was in and on Ray's side, no setup, no questions asked. Just paying back a debt like he said he would at the end of last season.

It's going to be fun to watch the new president try to pull the good old "boobytrapped stash" on Ray and Dave next week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Couple of directions this could go. It feels like Ray is digging himself deeper into a hole.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was watching that whole last scene like “just push him in Ray ffs”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ray is just slowly becoming completely unmoored from everything that keeps him from a total meltdown of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Almost like his whole world has fallen to bits over the past few weeks.

Girlfriend left him, his brother is on the verge of death, his estranged dad is coming back into his life and has been introduced to his daughter (which he didn't want) and he's lost his job and the trust of his employer Freddy, who could turn on him at any time knowing all the hits Ray has done for him.