Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The scene with Freddy was tough, especially since it echoed his breakup so much. Ray just stands there knowing how bad he hosed up and that there's just not really a good way to fix it, but he's still not really facing the ways that his life is going off of the rails. At least he's got some cash stashed somewhere, although he doesn't have a legit job as a cover anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thinking about why the bikers tried to kill Ray, maybe because they feel honorbound to do so. He killed their club president and in the outlaw world that can't go unanswered or they appear weak, it would also invite questions about who ordered the hit. it also makes me wonder if Dave will feel the need to avenge his biker Brothers after it's all over and done.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Don't overthink it. Ray was a loose end.

The show is still very entertaining and I have enjoyed the second season but I miss some of the more contemplative quiet moments that the first season used so well. I think it added another level to the show which is now moving more and more towards Kurt Sutter -ville.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

wormil posted:

Thinking about why the bikers tried to kill Ray, maybe because they feel honorbound to do so. He killed their club president and in the outlaw world that can't go unanswered or they appear weak, it would also invite questions about who ordered the hit. it also makes me wonder if Dave will feel the need to avenge his biker Brothers after it's all over and done.

I just assumed it was your typical case of the type of guy who'd pay to have his boss killed to move up would naturally assume that everyone else would be ready to gently caress him back if given the chance. He assumed that Ray would blackmail him or turn on him, because that's what he'd in Ray's shoes. It's just cleaner to tie up the loose end, even though he definitely didn't need to.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it will also probably foreshadow Freddy turning on Ray, given Ray knows all the hits Freddy has paid Ray to do.

Tying up any potential loose ends.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Holy poo poo how is this show not an insanely popular cultural phenomenon?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Holy poo poo how is this show not an insanely popular cultural phenomenon?

I dread the inevitable US remake.

I don't remember any show hitting me harder than this episode. jfc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I forgot something about this season because everything with his brother in that episode was really confusing to me

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I don't feel invested in the brother. The episode was sad but only abstractly. Breaking up with his girlfriend, the dog dying, his daughter being frightened after her friend was kidnapped, those were all a bigger punch for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha I mean like I literally forgot that he was dying, apparently? Was he dying?

e: oh yeah he had ALS

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 22, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Earlier this season the brother said something about offing himself.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Specifically, he asked Ray if he'd help him do it. He's been slowly declining all season, and the scene last week showed that his brother hit the point where he was having accidents in bed and struggling to move.

I thought it was a good finale, just a sad, somber end to the season after a lot of action. Ray losing his brother and literally burning down the remnants of his bad childhood isn't a good sign. Other than his daughter, that's basically it for the ties to his normal life.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rolling Stone article about the show (S2/finale spoilers)

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/mr-inbetween-season-two-recap-review-916386/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

In to say I love this show, it’s really well-done, and I am surprised this thread only has two pages, because I feel like it should be more popular. This season has shaped up better than the first and they really do a good job in the contrast, and also overlapping, of Ray’s personal life and his profession. Loved how they handled the whole thing with Ray loving up Ally’s brother, and the subsequent breakup because of what Ray did to him.

Hope this gets renewed for a third season—I have to say, as an American, this is one of those shows that I hope doesn’t get an American reboot, it’s superb as it is and we’d gently caress it up beyond recognition. And I say that as a fan of (yes, I know) the US Animal Kingdom. I did see the original Aussie movie on which that’s based.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Animal Kingdom is one of my favorite shows, I would put it in my top 5 shows currently airing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wormil posted:

Animal Kingdom is one of my favorite shows, I would put it in my top 5 shows currently airing.

I really like Scott Speedman but after they killed Baz it actually didn’t decline in quality.

But as to European or Australian shows getting American remakes, lots of times there’s a lot of ire coming from those places about the remakes. I get their point, a lot of time our remakes suck rear end compared to the shows on which they’re based, but being pissed the show exists seems pointless.

A lot of them are really good (The Killing, Animal Kingdom) though, I think we end up doing remakes for money but also because not everyone wants to read subtitles in foreign languages either.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Hope this gets renewed for a third season—I have to say, as an American, this is one of those shows that I hope doesn’t get an American reboot, it’s superb as it is and we’d gently caress it up beyond recognition. And I say that as a fan of (yes, I know) the US Animal Kingdom. I did see the original Aussie movie on which that’s based.

It's funded by, produced and distributed by Fox/FX. I don't see why there'd be a US remake when the US is responsible for this version in the first place.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The series will conclude with Season 3 (FX did not opt to pick it up for a fourth season), starting with two of the nine episodes on May 25th.

More info here, although be warned there are a couple of outlines for the season you might want to avoid if you want to go in fresh.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/mr-inbetween-end-season-3-fx-1234735200/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Shame, I enjoyed the show but best not to overstay the welcome.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Im just thankful that a show like this got 3 seasons. It's one of those great shows that flies under the radar and typically would be cancelled in one season due to low ratings or something.

I'm interested in seeing what Scott Ryan does next

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

t-4 days, you wombats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmqUdI9S9a0

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Will it be on Hulu?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yes, think it's doing the "will be on Hulu the following day" thing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MAN this show is good

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Show owns, will update the OP a little bit tomorrow.

I like that one of the best australian tv shows is being watched on the television in prison Bluey!

Game recognises game.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 26, 2021

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

glad this got a finite run with a planned end.. should finish well

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Waiting a week for 25 minutes of excellent tv is bullshit.

I hope they'll release a box set once this is done.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 28, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This show is so good, even during episodes where there isnt fantastic brutal violence.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jerkface posted:

This show is so good, even during episodes where there isnt fantastic brutal violence.

Yet I was expecting poo poo to go down out of the blue even during something completely innocuous as the meeting on the yacht.

Granted, I think we can all agree that the caviar dude spells trouble down the line.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Love this show so much

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'd be so much happier if these episodes were even just 28 or 31 minutes. 25 minutes just goes way too quickly.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Also. gently caress that boyfriend. Holy poo poo what a turd.

"Same poo poo" uuuugggh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'd watch a show about Ray even if he wasn't a criminal, just a single dad with weekend custody. If he was a painter or builder and we just follow him when he's off work.

Looten Plunder posted:

I'd be so much happier if these episodes were even just 28 or 31 minutes. 25 minutes just goes way too quickly.

I think this was the longest one yet, 27mins til the credits rolled.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I could go more scenes of ray eating pho set to a melancholic ambient soundtrack.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Enjoying this season even more than last, makes me sad this is to be the last one.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Fuuuck this show is good. Nothing even happened and it was still riveting. His daughter handling that gun had me holding my breath with dread.

Also, my 8 year old has moments of that "how do you know, I had my eyes closed" poo poo and it's the most infuriating thing in the world. Dreading a loving 14 year old version of it (thank God I don't have daughters though).

Garry Glitter's and Home-o-erotic had me in stitches.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Garry does need help.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

ive been on the internet too long and I had no idea such a gross 'toy' existed

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
"Yeah, that wouldn't work."

Edit: episode reminded me of that "my dick may not be 12 inches, but it smells like a foot" joke

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ray wasn't wrong about Tatiana's girlfriend being a oval office. Jesus! For someone with anger issues he handled that surprisingly well. The whole time I was thinking "Back the gently caress up and get out of his personal space".