Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Garry smacking Ray on the chest was driving me nuts, especially after interrupting his meditation, I half expected Ray to slap him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ray buried that body somewhere else on that property, right? Like just in case this new employer turns out to be a untrustworthy dickhead like most of his other employers.

The daughter finding his gun scene was pretty tense, too. :smith:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Keyser_Soze posted:

Ray buried that body somewhere else on that property, right? Like just in case this new employer turns out to be a untrustworthy dickhead like most of his other employers.

The daughter finding his gun scene was pretty tense, too. :smith:

Ya he was told to feed the body to the pigs but clearly was disgusted with their treatment of the dead girl so he gave her a real burial would be surprised if that didn't show up but it could also just be something to show his changing heart without ever calling back to it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

but it could also just be something to show his changing heart without ever calling back to it

Guys. This wasn't subtle. It's 100% this. It came 5 minutes after his "does what you do make you happy?" conversation at the gym.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sure, but Ray isn't a fan of the new mobboss Rafael (yatch guy) and that entitled kid didn't please him either, it was a better burial than being fed to the pigs but it can also be insurance down the line if he ever needs to take down Rafael.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"best daughter ever" phone contact :3:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh Garry...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress that scene with his dad

This show is so good

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Holy gently caress that scene with his dad

This show is so good

Yeah that was rough

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ray Bogan-Donovan looked cool as hell in that Porsche.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Hard to believe there's only the finale left, this has been an amazing ride and I'm looking forward to what the lead gets up to next.

If I had to use one world to describe what makes this show work so well, I'd say "restraint".

e: \/ \/ *A Solid and Enthusiastic Fist Pump*

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 21, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good news! This season has 9 episodes.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

started having grosse point blank flashbacks...

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Im thankful it got 3 seasons but I wish it would have gotten at least 5. Ray is such an interesting character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Orange Carlisle posted:

Im thankful it got 3 seasons but I wish it would have gotten at least 5. Ray is such an interesting character.

Never seen a good Australian show get more than four tbh.

Meanwhile Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries will never ever die.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You guys think Ray has any possibility of a "not shot dead/left to bleed out" future? I thought that the early introduction of the owner of the boxing gym might be thread where Ray ends up giving up the hood life and doing something he enjoys but yeah, that didn't work out.

It's going to be dark isn't it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Did we see the fallout between Freddy and Ray that his bookie was referencing?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pretty sure that was when Ray showed enraged at a family gathering Freddy was throwing when he was looking for that missing kid. That definitely soured the relationship between them.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

hatelull posted:

Pretty sure that was when Ray showed enraged at a family gathering Freddy was throwing when he was looking for that missing kid. That definitely soured the relationship between them.

Yep. At the end, Freddy lays it out that he's not personally mad at Ray, but that holding his in-laws at gunpoint kind of created a situation where he couldn't be seen working with him anymore.

Laughed a little about Ray literally coming to a crossroads at the end, but drat, I didn't see it going that way. The last episode should be interesting. Guess we'll see if Ray's really got 9 lives.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
What a :smith: episode

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
drat :(

I'm gonna miss this show. Why is it getting so few seasons anyway? Intended or was it just not going to get renewed?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:magical:

what the gently caress what the actual gently caress is happening right now

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

They left the polaroids in the crashed car, right?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

isaboo posted:

drat :(

I'm gonna miss this show. Why is it getting so few seasons anyway? Intended or was it just not going to get renewed?

Scott Ryan (Ray) just needs a break. He's been the writer of every episode and it is his first tv production, so him and Nash Edgerton have been a two man team making the show, he's worked on it for 6 years before it was picked up by FX (it was picked up by HBO but then they dropped it) and I figure he needs a rest.

He chose to end it, it hasn't been canceled.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a season 4 in a few years and he just needs a rest. He was on a radio interview here yesterday, not too much was said other than the final season was currently airing, how he came about to make the show and star in it himself vs having someone come in and play the role for him etc. It just sounds like a huge amount of effort for him and the team especially making this season during a pandemic (although australia was mostly fine last year)

He's done enough, even though the episodes are short, they're tight. There isn't much filler and I suspect he's out of stories to tell other than just re-treading the same thing as previous episodes.

mcbexx posted:

They left the polaroids in the crashed car, right?

I imagine so. Or Rafael did a poo poo job hiding Zoe. A few sloppy or loose ends in this.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Always better to hang em' up a little too early, rather than way too late!

I look forward to the final episode and regardless of what happens, I enjoyed the ride and wish the best for all the creators and actors.

Thank you all for this plucky lil' show! :australia:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Goddamn, that last scene.

In a just world Scott Ryan would be winning awards.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just assumed Zoe was in the trunk of that car.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Great show, good finale.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Excellent show and man that finale was great. Love the way they manage to keep the characterisation even in the action scenes. And that ENDING, drat. Gonna miss this one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yes, I would say that wrapped the show up nicely!

I'd still say the last 2 episodes of S1 were the high point - but it was a drat good ride all the way and it ended too early but at least we didn't have to deal with Season 8-10 nonsense like Ray wearing a suit and being the crimeboss of Sydney, and Britt being a bratty college kid, etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Keyser_Soze posted:

Britt being a bratty college kid, etc.

This is such a weird image to visualise in a show this Australian.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is such a weird image to visualise in a show this Australian.

you don't see season 10 Ray forcing some administrator at gunpoint to let his daughter into law school?

https://www.sydney.edu.au/

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 15, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man the final scene of this show was so good drat

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
How soon after Ray gave those lads that psychotic grin do you think they pissed themselves/died

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jerkface posted:

How soon after Ray gave those lads that psychotic grin do you think they pissed themselves/died

46 seconds.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That last scene was amazing.

He said to Britt he was only going away for a couple of weeks and was going to be 1.5hrs away. Was that just a way to say goodbye to the character and then there was a time jump forward where he's presumably moved away or was he lying and did a runner never to return?

Also, gently caress Freddy. As if he wouldn't have at least tipped him off.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And Ray survives to return another day... perhaps.

Looten Plunder posted:

That last scene was amazing.

He said to Britt he was only going away for a couple of weeks and was going to be 1.5hrs away. Was that just a way to say goodbye to the character and then there was a time jump forward where he's presumably moved away or was he lying and did a runner never to return?

Also, gently caress Freddy. As if he wouldn't have at least tipped him off.

Nah, she knew he was moving to the country, even Gaz joked about her requiring the internet to be connected before she stayed there when setting up the solar power ontop of the caravan.

I figure he's visited her when back in the city but otherwise has lost touch with her a bit, no more weekends with dad.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
what was Rafael's motivation for coming after Ray? he's not exactly a loose end like Zoe. they shared some harsh words but Ray is a professional with a strong reputation. am i to believe that it's just because Rafael is a hothead prone to panic or what?

not to detract from the finale, which was excellent. the whole show was phenomenal from the beginning and i never at any point had a clue what was coming next. whatever scott ryan and/or nash edgerton are working on next i'm in

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Rafael was a dumbass, if it wasn't obvious, whose immediate reaction to things going wrong was violence. After the entire thing went wrong and Ray poo poo talked him during it, he probably figured better to wack him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

And Ray survives to return another day... perhaps.

Nah, she knew he was moving to the country, even Gaz joked about her requiring the internet to be connected before she stayed there when setting up the solar power ontop of the caravan.

Ok cool. I was just a bit thrown because Christie's Beach is half a (gigantic) country away.