Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hello all! Welcome to my Thread In Games™ where I will be detailing my experience being a GM for a video game!

Wait, what? How can you GM a video game? This is the question I intend to answer with this thread.

So some very basic background here. I have a roommate who enjoys playing video games quite a lot. Probably her favorite game is Borderlands, and it's sequels. She's beat them several times and is in a funk as to what to play next. Tried out Fable 3, and didn't like it (and really, why would she? It sucks) and has been asking me for suggestions. Lately I've been replaying my way through the Mass Effect series, started a whole new character and I'm currently at the FOB in three, talking to my buddies before the final push to the beam. I really don't want to finish it lol.

I told her about Mass Effect, and she said she thought it sounded fun. She loves Sci-Fi, and there's so much crazy lore I think she'll really dig it. Since the first game is extremely janky I told her I would play it with her to give her advice, help out when she gets stuck, and help explain and introduce the world to her. This is when I realized that I'd basically be a GM, but for a Mass Effect play through. I feel I'm pretty well set to do this, ME is my favorite series of all time, and I'm really to see which choices she makes, who she takes on missions, etc.

Has anyone ever had any experience doing this? GMing a video game, I mean. Any suggestions? Advice? I want to keep this thread going to update you guys with how it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Paragon: Help her forge a glorious FemShep through a grand trilogy!

Renegade: Have sex with her.

(You have 5 seconds to pick)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Paragon: Help her forge a glorious FemShep through a grand trilogy!

Renegade: Have sex with her.

(You have 5 seconds to pick)

god dammit goons
lol no, she's in a serious relationship with my other roommate, and we've all been good friends for years, that is not a thing that is happening.

Just wanting to play some ME with my friend!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
That's why it's "RENEGADE"

It's like you haven't even played ME.

But IDK, I guess you just sit with her and watch like a TV show, telling her where she could go next and answering nerd questions about lore? I think if you avoid the temptation to either take over the controls or straight up telling her what to do it should be fine.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You're backseat driving a video game, not GMing a whole story. This doesn't take as much thought as you seem to think.

Give help when asked for, answer questions when asked, and otherwise just let her experience the game herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, that sounds better. I'm really excited for tonight and I'll do a writeup of how it goes!