Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One boss does my least favourite thing of short unskippable cutscene at the start, fairly easy phase 1, unskippable cutscene to start phase 2, ridiculously fast phase 2 that takes multiple attempts to learn. Nearly unforgivable.

Think I'm pretty much at the final boss now. not sure on play time but I feel like it's a good game for the price. Still missing some of the more weird art choices from the first one, but it's a good game and I'm excited to see what patches and dlc will bring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cool, progressing a certain amount through the main path of blasphemous 1 silently and permanently locks you out of the DLC. :thumbsup:

I'm 7 hours into this save and don't feel like repeating all that. bye.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Owl Inspector posted:

Cool, progressing a certain amount through the main path of blasphemous 1 silently and permanently locks you out of the DLC. :thumbsup:

I'm 7 hours into this save and don't feel like repeating all that. bye.

NG+ Goals. You can get the two OG endings first and then do NG+ which you need to do anyway for one of the dlc's.

As an aside, I am 100% convinced that one of the levels was inspired by the manga Shadows House. You'll know it once you see it.

Edit: The secret room in there reminds me that I REALLY need to play that Saint Seiya + Sailor Moon looking metroidvania.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 28, 2023

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Think I'm nearly towards the end. Got the last ability, which has been tempting me with those little yellow sparkles all over the map, and about to fight (I think) the second to last dove boss in the wax church place.

I'm absolutely loving it. I still prefer the first one, but I've had a wonderful time with this game so far. Hopefully there's still some left, then I'll go back and finish my replay of the first game.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
With the proper altarpieces and upgrades, Ruego al Alba is just loving OP.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

doomrider7 posted:

Saint Seiya + Sailor Moon looking metroidvania.

Which one is that, then?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ArcMage posted:

Which one is that, then?

Badass looking lady in purple with teddy bear puppet floating next to her.

Found it, 9 Years of Shadows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjFbZucvSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dv6lw0Ekds

Bonus points for the MC looking like a genderbent Captain Harlock.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

Badass looking lady in purple with teddy bear puppet floating next to her.

Found it, 9 Years of Shadows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjFbZucvSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dv6lw0Ekds

Bonus points for the MC looking like a genderbent Captain Harlock.

That's a solid game, I should go back and finish it. Not quite blasphemous but it's got great art and solid combat. Just a little more basic in most ways.

doomrider7 posted:

Totally! I've got that thing cranked to the max in every way possible and it melts normal enemies so fast, the right button power up is great for bosses too and it's a good balance between getting good hits in and staying mobile/parrying. The censer is strong and would be more so if I applied some bonuses but it's too slow for my taste, I'm often caught between getting a second hit or dodging away and sometimes make the wrong call and get stuck in the attack animation.

I'd like to try more with the dueling swords as well, I like the electric damage they can do but I somehow missed their upgrade spots. Need to go back and find them.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

It's insane, i blitzed through odon by tanking his hits and letting the health regen keep me alive whilst i melted through his hp

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What kind of build you'd use for Ruego (altarpieces and upgrades)? I've been trying out all three weapons, the censer's big AOE despite the slow speed is just such a lifesaver in situations with lots of mobs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TeaJay posted:

What kind of build you'd use for Ruego (altarpieces and upgrades)? I've been trying out all three weapons, the censer's big AOE despite the slow speed is just such a lifesaver in situations with lots of mobs.

Punished One and Deogracias give Rosary of Torment which causes Reaper Rosary to launch a wave attack while giving a 15% increase to Ruego and Mystic damage respectively.

The Demented One and The Partisan give Endless Wrath which restores Blood Pact upon enemy hits(pretty much near infinite Berserker Mode) and increase duration of Blood Pact and increase parry window respectively.

Viridiana and Nacimiento are just one of several combos that give Jaloque's Favour which increases Ruego Al Alba's damage while giving health regen on fatalities and improved flask use respectively.

Combine with some of the perks from Ruego Al Alba like Blood Pact(Berserker Mode), Covenant of Atonement(health regen on hits while in Blood Pact), Cold Blood(increased duration of Blood Pact), Reaper Rosary(Blood Wave Slash/Corpse Piler), and Blessed Steel(damage increase) as well as the combo increasing buffs and you can pretty much just mow down enemies and bosses via brute force.

For the Veredicto, Gregals Favor(damage increase for hammer) from The Ecstatic Novice(stun increase) and Cobijada Mayor(hp regen) pretty much nullify any problem the game tosses at you.

Also, whoever said the game doesn't have disturbing hosed up poo poo obviously has not met Cesareo(first appearance was the Artbook from Blasphemous 1 same for a lot of bosses and enemies actually).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 28, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

there are multiple ways to get gregal's favour. I've ended up with 3 pairs of it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah this altarpiece system is a pretty fun addition, there are multiple ways to get many different buffs and they can be customized in a lot of ways according to playstyle. Still need to find more of them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TeaJay posted:

Yeah this altarpiece system is a pretty fun addition, there are multiple ways to get many different buffs and they can be customized in a lot of ways according to playstyle. Still need to find more of them.

I definitely wanna experiment more, but the setup I have going on right now is so drat good that I don't see how I can improve it. Maybe swapping Nacimiento for another piece since I have maxed flasks, but I dunno what to put on there(old lady maybe since it's a 10% damage increase on low guilt).

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I have found the game extremely enjoyable and one of the best Metroidvanias I've played in a long time, but I agree that the bosses don't feel Blasphemous enough. Most are just dudes. They're all fun and cool, but the only one that has felt like it could have come from the first game is the boss with all the heads at the bottom of the Severed Tower.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hoo boy, you guys weren't kidding about Ruego being a beast even with a slight damage upgrade. I simply had the altar combo of +15% damage (and +5% to all weapons) and it makes things quite a bit easier, even defeated Afilaor on my second try. Now I have the 2nd upgrade for it and the double jump and I'm going around backtracking for nuns.. treasure and then start on the upper area that just opened up. Still only 52% discovered, which makes me think game might be big with lots of optional areas?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

not really much in the way of optional areas from what I found. Hoping I'll stumble across something but think I've gotten nearly every collectible

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
The hardest boss in the game is just that combat room at the top of the elevated temple; that last wave hits for higher HP damage than anything else I’ve seen in the game

Overall I’ve enjoyed myself but am a little disappointed with how linear the game gets when it’s bird time. Plus I got stuck for an extended period of time when the new weapon tips were bugged—I spent a really long time looking for traversal items before figuring it out. The mini tutorial popped up when I backtracked several hours later though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

King Bahamut posted:

The hardest boss in the game is just that combat room at the top of the elevated temple; that last wave hits for higher HP damage than anything else I’ve seen in the game

I know exactly the one you're talking about lol. Definitely took me a few tries plus it has that upgraded sword/magic dude (which bizarrely I haven't seen anywhere else in the game so far). But it's not so bad, you can get to that phase with zero damage pretty easily, then hot swap in the dueling swords to zip around until you kill the spinny guy. After that the upgraded dude dies just the same as the normal version, if you just dodge behind him right before every attack he can't even touch you

In another topic, is guilt meant to accumulate even if you pick it up? I've never left behind a single guilt fragment in my play through but I end up with almost no fervor sometimes bizarrely and have to pay a poo poo load to get it removed. If it's purposeful I don't mind, kinda cool actually but is that a bug?

Play fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 28, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like I've had guilt not fully come back after picking up all the bits. Pretty irritating but you get a decent amount of the currency to buy your way out of it anyway so it's not too big a deal.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When you die you gain 20% guilt, and picking up your fragment removes 18% guilt per death, so you always gain a little no matter what

It took me most of the game to realize the orb on the center left of the status screen that says “immaculatus” at 0% is your guilt level.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing a fair bit and I feel like the Severed Tower boss is the hardest for me so far. It does a lot of elemental damage, despite me putting on appropriate rosaries, and has pretty fast transitions + a few attacks where I just can't seem to get by without taking damage. Also seems to have a ton of health. But I guess the last few bosses went quite easily.

I think I'll go and use the last movement ability I got to look for some more treasure, maybe I'll find a fifth health vial.

e: And traditionally beat it on the first try after complaining how hard it was

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 28, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TeaJay posted:

I've been playing a fair bit and I feel like the Severed Tower boss is the hardest for me so far. It does a lot of elemental damage, despite me putting on appropriate rosaries, and has pretty fast transitions + a few attacks where I just can't seem to get by without taking damage. Also seems to have a ton of health. But I guess the last few bosses went quite easily.

I think I'll go and use the last movement ability I got to look for some more treasure, maybe I'll find a fifth health vial.

e: And traditionally beat it on the first try after complaining how hard it was

I actually found him pretty easy. Fencing lady, sword sharpener, and preceptor game me the most trouble. Granted that was before I optimized my build.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fencing lady was cool as heck and probably the only fight I switched off of the mace. The music for it was great atmosphere.

If only most of the other bosses weren't humans as well. The late game boss at the end of crimson rains I really didn't like as a multiphaser

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Fencing lady was cool as heck and probably the only fight I switched off of the mace. The music for it was great atmosphere.

If only most of the other bosses weren't humans as well. The late game boss at the end of crimson rains I really didn't like as a multiphaser

Yeah fencing lady and singing tower lady were probably my favorites, although Odom was kinda fun too. Fencing lady reminded me a lot of some Hollow Knight boss

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Someone tell me how to reach this loving thing. I want the thing. I have double jump and there doesn't seem to be any other indication that I need another powerup.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
You need air-dash.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Blessed am I, for I have received the level 3 upgrade for the Veredicto at 69% of the map revealed. Nice.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

ilmucche posted:

I'm at that dude now and the first phase is trivial, but the second feels 20 times harder than anything else in the game.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lol the Aubade to the Sleepless Iron chant plus fervour that refills from attacks thanks to a figure I have means I can keep summoning the spirit. Made this one boss so trivial.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I already can tell I'm gonna hate the Two Moons because it seems like it's comprised entirely of challenge rooms and filled with the most annoying enemies (blue witches on a carry who spam projectiles). Good luck trying to dodge that while avoiding all the other enemies (especially when you get knockback from each hit).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I think I'm just hard stuck with Eviterno. I just can't get his patterns down plus he has that one circular move which hits behind him as well, which always gets me. At least for me the tells for the moves are pretty non-existent anyway, I find myself always just barely reacting to whatever he's doing.

I made it once to the point where he starts to do that special thing, most of the times he destroys me in the 2nd phase where he gets faster and new moves. There's just not much time to heal or do damage - basically it's just after the ground slam, which is also way harder to dodge in 2nd phase since it's a multi-phase attack in itself. I can maybe get 4 hits in with Ruego in the 1st phase, but after he gets faster, it just feels like I don't have time to do full 4 combo, thus being really hard to fill the special meter or find an opening for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Okay, I think I'm just hard stuck with Eviterno. I just can't get his patterns down plus he has that one circular move which hits behind him as well, which always gets me. At least for me the tells for the moves are pretty non-existent anyway, I find myself always just barely reacting to whatever he's doing.

I made it once to the point where he starts to do that special thing, most of the times he destroys me in the 2nd phase where he gets faster and new moves. There's just not much time to heal or do damage - basically it's just after the ground slam, which is also way harder to dodge in 2nd phase since it's a multi-phase attack in itself. I can maybe get 4 hits in with Ruego in the 1st phase, but after he gets faster, it just feels like I don't have time to do full 4 combo, thus being really hard to fill the special meter or find an opening for it.

If you have The Ecstatic Novice + Nacimiento any time you heal you'll get a surprisingly lengthy period of stopped time. That is kind of a cheat mode for the harder bosses because it means you can damage race them far more reliably.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My issue with that boss is the unskippable 15 second intro + 30 second phase change every time. I feel like several decades of game design have taught us not to do this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Owl Inspector posted:

My issue with that boss is the unskippable 15 second intro + 30 second phase change every time. I feel like several decades of game design have taught us not to do this

Yeah I complained about that too. Especially with how fast the second phase is compared to nearly every other boss it was a very frustrating one to get through

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Again complaining helped and I beat him, but it did take me a few hours of tries, and yes those unskippable dialogues were getting a bit old. It took me embarrassingly long to realize his pattern is mostly always the same. Dodging that 2nd phase ground slam is still quite hard especially if you are close to a corner, and if he decides to do the big AOE thingy then good luck, I guess. And he adds more random element in the final phases. But after realizing this I started to play more aggressively and got some hits in during the two-way wave attack too. When I finally got the Blood pact activated in the last phase, I knew it's just a matter of mowing him down.

I'm at 30/33 cherubs and I have no idea where the rest could be, there's no more I have marked on the map. I suppose some of them could be in Crimson rains because f*k that area, I just climbed up as fast as I could. 98% map completion and it at least looks like everything except the final (?) battle is done. Suppose I'll have to take a look at some cherub walkthroughs before heading down to the final boss.

So far I've enjoyed the game a lot, but I'm also thinking that it's somewhat more... streamlined? than the first one. You get movement options faster, it's a bit more straightforward too. I have no idea how much the rosaries actually make a difference in terms of mitigating damage, I usually just used physical/elemental damage mitigation. The options were a bit boring, IMO. With prayers I mostly used the spinning disc (to take care of the stupid candle monks), it felt like the best one. Didn't use the big prayers much, felt like getting rooted while casting was too long, especially in the aforementioned bossfight.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 29, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh man I've been using the big fire prayer, the big toxic bubble prayer or the big laser prayer for the entire game, they're great for some of the enemies that just have a lot of health but don't move too much.

I think I'm most of the way through, have 1 more dove to free I think and then I assume there's a couple more areas after that?

I think it's a decent enough sequel but there was something I preferred about the first one, hard to put my finger on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This one felt quite a bit more linear, and the areas felt a little less inspired to be weird. Still a great game though.

Think I've only got the final boss to go, which I might never beat because I'm terrible at actually finishing games that aren't sleeping dogs

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Okay so if you combine Deogracias with either The Punished or Veteran One statues it gives either a wave attack to the Rosary of Torment or a not unsubstantial mystic buff to the rapier as well as an added phantom slash to the lunge attack. Also, I'm still missing like five statue things, two cherub brothers, one lullaby fragment, a stolen pendant from the patio vendor, the second cursed letter, battle lance, and holy oil and it's starting to irritate me since I've scoured the map and would really rather not wiki this unless it's REALLY necessary. Some hints would be nice thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ilmucche posted:

This one felt quite a bit more linear, and the areas felt a little less inspired to be weird. Still a great game though.

Think I've only got the final boss to go, which I might never beat because I'm terrible at actually finishing games that aren't sleeping dogs

I agree on it being more linear, but I've found the new areas pretty good. Mixed bag on they stack vs the first game.

Edit: Okay I figured out what you're supposed to do with rapiers. If you synergize them with Veteran One and Degracias for Spellblade the damage is hilariously brutal. Combine with Patizan and Pilgrim abilities(longer parry window and less loss of lightning ability on hits) and their synergy(better damage on rapier) and you just melt things. The game REALLY seems to emphasize and reward experimentation with this system because some of these abilities feel broken as hell.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 30, 2023