Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
I'm a little over halfway through this, and I gotta say, this feels like the Symphony of the Night successor. Loved Bloodstained, but this is giving me more of that feeling of excitement at finding a new place, and it's difficult but not overwhelmingly so.

Also I'm not Catholic, so it's all just dark gothic imagery to me, and it's pairing super well with my recent obsession with Swans, especially their latest song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVZo30M8Lc

TheIndividual fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Can someone spoil me on where to find the relic that lets you do something with the gnarled roots? I feel like I should have found it by now, I'm about 8 hours in and I feel like I've been passing them by since the beginning of the game.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

You must complete The Offering and then do something else.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Maybe if I had actually paid attention on catechism/was still Catholic I would be appreciating blasphemous even more.

Maybe.

I had thoroughly enjoyed Bloodstained, but this is, other than overly stringent platforming, by far the better map filling platformer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I had much more fun with bloodstained. But you're not the first to dump on bloodstained to praise a smaller indie metroidvania, guess it comes with success.

Glad I beat Sekiro before that second to last boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How much platforming is there and how hard is the platforming?

Also how lost do you get, how much time do you spend just wandering around? Do you have a map at the start?

Guess I should watch some streams. Or just buy it ...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Wave posted:

I had much more fun with bloodstained. But you're not the first to dump on bloodstained to praise a smaller indie metroidvania, guess it comes with success.

Glad I beat Sekiro before that second to last boss.

I mean they said they "thoroughly enjoyed Bloodstained" so that's hardly dumping on it. Maybe they just prefer this game?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zaphod42 posted:

Also how lost do you get, how much time do you spend just wandering around? Do you have a map at the start?

Lots of it, fairly hard and has probably got too many instant death pits/spikes. You have a map at the start, but the game doesn't tell you where to go at all so you spend a lot of time wandering.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of platforming, it is decently hard but nothing insane like meat boy or crazy mario maker levels, just... Very strict.
There is a LOT of wandering around because the new items are generally not... particularly obvious. You are going to be returning to Albero a lot. There are a bunch of shortcuts and teleporters that make life easier though. You start with the map.

The flow is very deliberate and the combat is kind of slow paced, so watching a couple of videos to see how it handles is a good idea!
I really recommend it though, it is a fantastic experience, other than strict platforming.

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean they said they "thoroughly enjoyed Bloodstained" so that's hardly dumping on it. Maybe they just prefer this game?

Yeah, I am just liking it better.

It does not have a double jump, but I am enjoying it more both visually, and in the way it handles. Bloodstained had too many things to upgrade, so the relatively "simple" (I would rather say focused) way that Blasphemous handles in comparison is more satisfying,

Cannot go wrong with either Bl game though

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 14, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

for once I didn't use a guide and I got to what I'm pretty confident is the last boss in eight hours or so (ok ok I used a guide once when I was stuck near the very end). I got lucky with a few of the routes I chose but I would be surprised if it took anyone much more over 14 hours, at least assuming they aren't doing a lot of content I missed.

Spoilers on general game structure:

The game is split up into two different halves, each half with three objectives, and you can do these three objectives in any order. The map is color-coded by area so there's generally no more than one of these objectives per color, which is really nice and makes it very easy to figure out where you should be exploring next. Idk if this color coding has been done elsewhere but it was amazin, hope everyone steals it.

There's a lot of platforming deth but the difficulty isn't all that high and it's never more than a two minute walk back to your body (the game has a TON of paths and ladders in each area to make re-traversal of the same areas over and over softer. The game mostly breezes along (imo) and there's only one real bastard of a part early on that made me rage(post).

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Also Esdras was, so far, the hardest fight in the game for me. Dude is an rear end in a top hat

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He killed me at the same time I killed him and it counted as a clear thank god.

The one I was getting nowhere on was centipede+baby so I had the girl help me, after she buffed me I took him from 70-0 in 10 seconds due to some lucky aggressive positioning that let me smack his head and squishy middle section. Did not mean to cheese him quite that hard!

Favorite bosses were big skeleton and sword saint Cristana

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 14, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i wish there was a relic that made you immune to spikes

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the Holy Soles of the Wounds or something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
finished the game btw, got both endings

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i really needed a relic that gave me resistance to books.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

No Wave posted:

the Hard Cover of the Clumsy Librarian

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

No Wave posted:

how and why the gently caress do they hurt more than goddamn boomerang cross saws

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do i open that gate in the wall of prohibitions? the one with an item behind it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Luisfe posted:

how and why the gently caress do they hurt more than goddamn boomerang cross saws

don't underestimate the power of the Word

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

How do i open that gate in the wall of prohibitions? the one with an item behind it.

Use the elevator in front of it a bunch

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BaconCopter posted:

Use the elevator in front of it a bunch

oh.thanks

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Really enjoying this so far. Made it past the first boss of the second section. The atmosphere is amazing and I'm enjoying the combat and platforming. Also, the executions are ridiculously brutal. My favorite do far is the one on the shield guy where you just run up on it and crush the guy. Is there any reason to do them besides style points?

Here's what l my nitpicks

Ledge grabbing is rear end, needs to be reworked.

The combat system is good but be clearer which of your options don't work at any one time. For example, there's some enemies/attacks you can't dash past, some projectiles you can't reflect, some attacks you can't parry. The most important thing I've puzzled out is if it looks magical at all you need to just avoid it.

Animations don't always seem to match up to hotboxes

The game gives you a little camera control on the right stick but appears to never let you use it when you'd want. Most apparent in the room whose gimmick is a platform you ride over a big pit and occasionally have to go over some obstacles while the platform for under. The controls stop just short of letting you see the platform.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

The game gives you a little camera control on the right stick but appears to never let you use it when you'd want. Most apparent in the room whose gimmick is a platform you ride over a big pit and occasionally have to go over some obstacles while the platform for under. The controls stop just short of letting you see the platform.

Holy poo poo this 100%. Not letting you see that platform is total rear end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The executions give you more mana than a regular attack would

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way to make executions reliably happen? I can't figure out what puts the enemy in the state, or which enemies you can do executions on. Seems like parries do it but I can't tell if it's just random or if I'm making them happen somehow.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

after beating the game and going for the other ending I finally found the ghost that takes your rosary knots. Lol.

Its actually weird, I have complaints about the platforming but I had edge grabbing problems 0 times the entire game. Very strange given how common a complaint it is, I guess their implementation is intuitive for some but not others.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 14, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The only place I really had trouble with edge grabbing was Tres Angustias, which is also a really frustrating place to not grab an edge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My issue with the ledge grab is that sometimes when I'm trying to jump down a place I grab the ledge instead of managing to fall past it. It's a little over-sensitive sometimes, but that's better than the alternative.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i need something to play after this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

When you beat the game you get two skins. One of them reminds me of EVA-01 (or Hyde from the UNIST fighting series) but idk if it's referring to something else. The other one is for sure the main character of dead cells.

Ending was good, you could see it coming. Idk if I'm going to bother finding the 12 babies i missed, that's a lot of babies.

Last boss goes from unfair rear end in a top hat to pushover if you collect all the powerups, I'll assume the other bosses do too. My one complaint around progression is that a third of the game's powerups are gated behind the blood platform ability, it would have been nice if you could get the tongues without getting blood platforms so there wasn't that much content walled behind a single missable thing.

I'm not totally crazy about the combat system but the challenge rooms could really have been harder. Buffing the final boss for true ending would have been nice too. There's one INSANE bead that makes you immune when you drink not-estus and it makes the game probably a little too easy.

As for games to play after, I'd go DS3 if you like the mood, sekiro if you like parrying, and any of the other revered metroidvanias out there for exploration (i'll assume you've played hollow knight). if you've played all these uh... idk.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is the only thing keeping me away. I liked bloodborne which is odd as extreme violence usually just makes me really sick but this game just looks... a little too over the top. One of the trailers showed a boss I presume graphically ripping the main character in half and while hell make what you want game creator, knowing there's graphic kill conditions just turned me away.
Now that I've finished it, to answer your question most of the icky stuff is upfront and the atmosphere really grew on me. If you can handle the first few hours you should be a ok.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There’s an edit button you know.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

i need something to play after this

Sundered

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

victrix posted:

Sundered

Yeah, this is a solid thirty hour game, more if you go for embrace and resist. Got some slack on release for unending waves of mobs but the eldritch edition fixes a lot of that and the bosses are suitably awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk00d7gLruU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Man I am bouncing off his game hard. I love the artwork and atmosphere, but the platforming is ridiculously clunky. 100% of my deaths have been from falling onto spikes (which leaves your body in place that’s impossible to pick up again without dying).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pulcinella posted:

Man I am bouncing off his game hard. I love the artwork and atmosphere, but the platforming is ridiculously clunky. 100% of my deaths have been from falling onto spikes (which leaves your body in place that’s impossible to pick up again without dying).

I've never had this happen personally. The game does the Souls thing of putting the guilt monument about ~10 seconds back from where you were when you died, or the last solid ground you touched, to prevent it from being too hard to grab. One time I accidentally jumped to a place I couldn't actually leave without a death (I'm pretty sure I wasn't intended to do it as the platform had an enemy on it) and the game was smart enough to put the guilt monument back on solid ground.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

Worst part of the game - by far - happens early on, it's that windy mountain. That part was much more frustrating than what followed.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Must be a bug. Literally all my spike death guilt statues are stuck in the spikes themselves.

I think I’ll come back in a month or two and see if the devs have patched some things up. Being crippled until you return to the spot you died is probably my least favorite mechanic Demon’s Souls introduced to video games. (Even Sekiro abandoned the mechanic and also puts a save point before every boss and just lets you teleport between save points at the start of the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Death doesn’t cripple you at all in this game. Worst case scenario it eats into your cash.