Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Play posted:

In this case, though, BOTH teams had injured players, which is why they did not do a ten second runoff and actually charged Philly for its "fourth" timeout. So the difference was both teams having injured players. I think that's how it went anyways, maybe there was a ten second runoff and I didn't notice

yeah, the 10 second runoff in this case was mitigated by Atlanta also being forced to call a timeout due to the injuries

I was more explaining the general case because it's rare to see 1 extra timeout, much less 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Athanatos posted:

This was cool:

God the secondary for the Ravens was so bad yesterday. Especially Jefferson.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Planter of Shitfields

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Planter of Shitfields

All farming is shitfields. :thunk:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I recant any compliments I extended toward the Browns. They're not rattled, they're just bad.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This seems all nice when you ignore the fact they traded away a young franchise LT and DB.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1173783462333038592?s=20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

This seems all nice when you ignore the fact they traded away a young franchise LT and DB.

Look, with those draft picks, you could get anything. Why, you could even find a LT and DB!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

wandler20 posted:

Tunsil wasn't elite or anything and yeah even mediocre LT's are hard to come back right now but gently caress it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This is the guy they probably should've traded. Then again, they probably still will.

https://twitter.com/Iamxavienhoward/status/1173783845403078656?s=20

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously, the Cardinals aren't bad. Kirk and Fitz make for a great WR Corp, David Johnson is a top ten RB when healthy, Suggs, Jones, and Marsh looks like a good group of pass rushers and on and on. With Kyler steering the ship they are likely on their way to an 8-8 season. Assuming the coach can be a good deal less cowardly. Kicking it on 4th and goal with 2 yards to go is pretty pathetic.

Really looking forward to a 0-1-1 team somehow finishing 8-8-0.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

This is the guy they probably should've traded. Then again, they probably still will.

https://twitter.com/Iamxavienhoward/status/1173783845403078656?s=20

Uhhh X is 5x the player Minkah was. You don’t trade that

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Legit question. Is he the only player on the team you wouldn’t trade? Who else is even left besides the Clemson DT?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I mentioned this before but if they are smart they won't trade Mark Walton, one of the best backups rb in the league based on stats and not because I saw him do well in madden and confused that in my memories with him seeing the field at all

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

All things considered, that went better than expected for the Jets

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Browns are gonna get crushed this coming weekend. I don't know what the OLine is gonna do against Aaron Donald so hopefully Baker can use his legs and escape.

Jesus. All that hype...like dust in the wind....

The Jets have it worse with their schedule.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So November 3rd is the first winnable game for both the Jets and Dolphins.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Jets defense made that about as hard as they possibly could. Baker was bad. Le'Veon Bell played his loving rear end off. Luke Falk wasn't a complete disaster. So that was good, I suppose.

Everything else was hell. This season is over already, and there is nothing to even look forward to given Darnold's diagnosis. Really a bummer to look forward to the season for 9 months and have it be toast in 2 weeks. Not even going to watch next Sunday.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Browns are 3-0 in prime time since the start of last season. Good on you guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Professor Funk posted:

Everything else was hell. This season is over already, and there is nothing to even look forward to given Darnold's diagnosis. Really a bummer to look forward to the season for 9 months and have it be toast in 2 weeks. Not even going to watch next Sunday.

On the bright side given the upcoming schedule you might will be out of contention and there won't be any pressure to rush Darnold back when his spleen could still explode.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Did they extend Howard? I know he's much better, but Minkah is cheap for like 3 more years.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/1PHILHNDRXX_/status/1173771173047525376

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Remember when MNF was the game of the week and must watch football?

How the mighty have fallen

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don’t recall MNF ever being good

It was always about Sunday Night and Faith Hill

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I mean...people have cared more about the commentating crew the last two years.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Legit question. Is he the only player on the team you wouldn’t trade? Who else is even left besides the Clemson DT?

Yeah he’s literally the only actually established elite player Miami had. You can’t trade him.

Minkah struggles a bit, but excels in certain placement and Miami isn’t a team that can afford such luxury. I’m jealous of who can because he’s going to be a big play machine.

I’m happy Miami bought a lotto ticket. I would’ve thought they’d go Seattle for the multiple picks

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Gatts posted:

I don’t recall MNF ever being good

It was always about Sunday Night and Faith Hill
Well I feel old

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it used to be a pretty big deal. i remember when your team got a monday night football, it felt like they had won a game, just from getting to be on monday night football. That lasted until when the new teams kept coming in, in the 90s. espn killed it with blatantly second-rate and third-rate matchups but it wasn't a huge deal any more starting in the late 90s. i don't know why but this is historically accurate. Might be from the big internet companies like prodigy, or when they started using extensive graphics in 1997. the world got bigger, or smaller, and some things just got lost in the shuffle.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

OxySnake posted:

Remember when MNF was the game of the week and must watch football?

How the mighty have fallen

I was going to make a joke about it being ruined by Dennis Miller, but then I remember that the Al Michaels/Dan Fouts/Dennis Miller booth was replaced by Al and John Madden...

So I’m going to blame the New England Patriots. gently caress them!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lmbo

fartknocker posted:

the New England Patriots. gently caress them!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Someone dig up Howard Cosell.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

I havent spent any money and yet I still want my money back

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Apparently Trumaine Johnson just got benched prior to the game and not for disciplinary reasons. I like it. Tru sucks. I don’t care if Macc game him $15m per.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cavauro posted:

it used to be a pretty big deal. i remember when your team got a monday night football, it felt like they had won a game, just from getting to be on monday night football. That lasted until when the new teams kept coming in, in the 90s. espn killed it with blatantly second-rate and third-rate matchups but it wasn't a huge deal any more starting in the late 90s. i don't know why but this is historically accurate. Might be from the big internet companies like prodigy, or when they started using extensive graphics in 1997. the world got bigger, or smaller, and some things just got lost in the shuffle.
Mnf was always the premier game of the week until ABC lost the rights and NBC gamed ESPN into overpaying badly in 2006

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

Apparently Trumaine Johnson just got benched prior to the game and not for disciplinary reasons. I like it. Tru sucks. I don’t care if Macc game him $15m per.

He's definitely getting cut this offseason. Which says something because I think that will be like 7.5m in dead money.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

ESPN didn’t get MNF till the 2006 season.

ABC had it up until then, and when ESPN got it and ABC lost the NFL entirely, NBC came and brought the entire crew over to what is now Sunday Night Football. At the same time, they pitched the flex scheduling for SNF, and it helped Sunday night explode in popularity.

ESPN originally had the Sunday night package, and split it with TNT at one point. Like MNF now, it was rarely the massive, marque game of the week. The NFL probably wanted that to stay on a major network, and already had a great relationship with everyone that moved to NBC. ESPN basically paid out the rear end for the MNF name, but got none of the actual important guts that made it work, which all went to Sunday night (Also Faith Hill and other ladies).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd say the culture changed during the September 22 1997 game between the Steelers and the Jaguars (playing on Monday night for the first time in their short history) which had one of the craziest endings in MNF history. The Jaguars were up by 2 with almost no time remaining and the Steelers attempted a field goal. Jacksonville blocked it and Chris Hudson returned the ball for a touchdown. During the return, Steelers head coach Bill Cowher cocked his fist back like he was going to throw a punch at Hudson when he was running down the Steelers sideline for the winning score. The extra point was finally kicked about 15 minutes after the cameras had stopped airing the game. This was similar to when the black skinned coach for the Steelers, instead of the white skinned coach, did a similar thing against the Ravens, and people got very mad. No one got mad at the white coach, which is historically accurate

as for people who keep telling me espn didn't get it in the 90s, i know. I said it died with ESPN but already wasn't a big deal anymore in the 90s. here's what I said: espn killed it with blatantly second-rate and third-rate matchups but it wasn't a huge deal any more starting in the late 90s. that might not be worded well, but it implies that the game had lost its luster before espn killed it. my current theory is that It was because of incidents like the above, where racism started becoming popular again.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 17, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1173787313345835008

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So who's the Jets 4th stringer since it looks like we're going to see them by the end of next week?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Still waiting to be wowed by the New Browns :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1173795020312338434?s=20