Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gpl v2 is still fine for your own software, just make it clear that you’re open to selling commercial licenses under different terms

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2013 lurker rereg posted:

I believe he curls and then emails himself webpages.

Hes very anti js as well, between it being distributed in a non-free fashion (minifiying) and js being used to spy on you. I think his feeling that way makes JavaScript good.

minifying is still "free"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Penisface posted:

there should be a gpl that disallows running built-on-gpl software on a server without source code distribution. companies (especially for profit companies) should not be able to benefit on open source licenses without contributing back or releasing their developments after a certain time, much like art becomes public domain after a while

agpl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License

its how you can be an "open source" startup with server software

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so zombies can use his software under the D&R license but not ghosts or angels?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

influx. posted:

I dunno, 'letting' him resign and give this as a reason kinda defeats the purpose.

i mean yay, he's gone, but the behavior aint gonna stop

i have no idea what kind of position he had but tenured faculty and some other positions of that type require a vote to be fired. so him resigning may be in response to the provost or whoever saying “the board is meeting next Monday and you’ll be fired then”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

frictionless bubble reality assumes infinite resources for fights and occasional symbolic victories against set-top box developers.

https://blog.halon.org.uk/2019/09/gnome-foundation-relationship-gnu-fsf/
Symbolic non-binding saber rattling calling for this from an executive director of the Gnome project

quote:

This is an unfortunate move on the behalf of GNOME.
RMS has been a stalwart advocate for justice, fairness, and tolerance of all types. This recent event is a part of legacy establishment campaign to drive a wedge in the unity of the FOSS community. Issues like this hurt the FOSS cause and benefit large corporations who have a track record of being oppressive to all types of freedom, despite their recent re-branding as tolerant and inclusive, in cooperation with establishment media.
I implore GNOME to reconsider and take into consideration the totality of RMS four decade long commitment to the betterment of his fellow man.

normally i'd not source quotes but jfc the comments

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

mit and the larger open sores community has definitely been ok with RMS for decades. none of this behavior is new

the open source community such as.... microsoft?! https://github.com/microsoft

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

microsoft open sores licenses are purposefully incompatible with the GPL in order to avoid the taint of the fsf

avoiding the taint of rms by using the MIT license? :chloe:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

fiction: oh those dumb brute jocks, all they care about is sex and pushing people around, they're the worst, unlike us sensitive thoughtful nerds

reality: football stars are protesting police brutality and the nerds are all megalomaniacal rapists

and the football stars that are megalomaniacal murderers/rapists are the ones that suffered from traumatic brain injuries

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

talking about rms' net worth i decided to see what the FSF's spending looked like.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8557

charity navigator gave them quite the good review, seems like they spend all their money on uh.. free software

quote:

Education and Outreach Program $535,710 49.9%
License Education Program $251,381 23.4%
GNU Project $201,202 18.7%

what exactly do those education programs do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also that "eight megs and constantly swapping" thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats fine though, the gpl doesn't require you to only offer the software under its terms and requires that if people don't want to keep it open source then they have to pay you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

the GPL is the only mainstream open source license that isn't just volunteer work for startups

If you want to sell software, sell software. GPL ain't stoppin' you. What's stopping you is all the other motherfuckers cloning your poo poo and giving it away free for any use at all.

don’t forget agpl if it’s likely to run on a server

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

otoh it sounds like Intel deserved it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i feel like "slob" isn't quite doing it justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

giving away free software to startups is cool. It's great that the only thing worth money in 2019 is user data. I'm not mad at all that open source has driven the value of software to zero, I'm actually laughing.

this is why the agpl is so good