Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's happening with the Jets?

https://twitter.com/rvacchianosny/status/1173802736615342080?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Kalli posted:

Quick Reads is up:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-2-quick-reads

Top half of the article is some analysis about how when a QB gets pressured, they have to make a choice... do they hold onto the ball for as long as possible, taking more sacks, do they throw riskier passes downfield and get intercepted more, or do they throw dumpoffs and throwaways and not move the ball.

Meanwhile....

The top are a bunch of the top QB's and Jimmy G, while down in hell:

33. Josh Rosen -126

34. Ryan Fitzpatrick -209

I, what?

quote:

(When you look at Carr's per-game numbers, he's basically the same guy as Tom Brady, just without the yards and touchdowns.)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

News:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1173978415214596096

Views: it's La Canfora so it's definitely not happening. But also I'm surprised to see the Chiefs have like $22 mil in cap space. They could totally make it happen if they wanted to

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Their previous GM was a tire fire who severely overpaid for a bad cornerback who had great interception numbers because Aaron Donald would cause QB's to piss themselves and throw prayer balls.

Blitz7x posted:

I, what?

I guess the whole "doesn't throw ints, and completes a lot of passes" thing.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

I, what?

You see, he's the same guy without any results.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I just hope Jones can hold onto the football. The OL is better than it had been but it’s not like it was a high bar to begin with. He’s still gonna take a few licks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

there are only like 5 competently run teams in the league

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

The Jets lie about everything even when everyone knows the truth already.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The Jets lie about everything even when everyone knows the truth already.

Of all the things to copy from the Patriots...

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What is this bullshit picture in the first post that lists the home team on top.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my god is that kyle allen's music

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1173982834287099904?s=20

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

you buried the lede. let's argue about this

Should be noted that the article said this graph was more about style, and not quality.

Wilson and Rodgers holding the ball too long waiting for a receiver to get open sounds about right to me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I hope they cut him and he comes back to the Rams for vet minimum

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1173976462216617984?s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

hifi posted:

you buried the lede. let's argue about this

The bystander label is probably the wrong choice, but the way to read that is:

When pressured:

Bystander = Holds the ball and doesn't make risky passes. More likely to be sacked, less likely to throw ints, more likely to make good completions.

Gunslinger = Says gently caress it I'm going deep and gives his receivers a chance to make a big play. Throws more ints, but makes more good completions and avoids sacks.

Game manager = Hates throwing ints, hates getting hit. If a pass rusher's coming, he's dumping that ball to the running back or to the waterboy.

The guys furthest from the middle are the biggest outliers. So Favre is King of the Funslingers, while Wilson / Alex Smith treat interceptions like warcrimes. Chad Pennington under Gunslingers seems... funny.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bahahahahaha adam gase is like a replicating virus getting into teams and destroying them from the inside out

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Docjowles posted:

News:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1173978415214596096

Views: it's La Canfora so it's definitely not happening. But also I'm surprised to see the Chiefs have like $22 mil in cap space. They could totally make it happen if they wanted to

Cool can they wait until next week please

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think we should talk about how the Buffalo Bills have a smart plan. Regardless of what you think about Josh Allen, they've definitely put good pieces in place around him, and hired a smart defensive coach who's got that team playing well.

That's right folks, there's TWO good teams in the AFC BEAST.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Pats @ Jets MNF will result in Sam Darnold being out for two weeks with pink eye after Son of Buttfumble occurs

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Lol do the Jets seriously have two Monday night home games this year

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Kalli posted:

I think we should talk about how the Buffalo Bills have a smart plan. Regardless of what you think about Josh Allen, they've definitely put good pieces in place around him, and hired a smart defensive coach who's got that team playing well.

TBH not spontaneously exploding feels like a victory for the Buffalo Bills at the moment considering the amount of turmoil there is for teams around the league right now.

Edit:

We should have an ATN podcast thread just so I can fanboy about Marc Sessler being so godamn weird

quote:

The Bills have opened the campaign by setting their in-state rivals on fire, marching 369 miles by night from Buffalo to East Rutherford, New Jersey, where the sleeping Jets were camped a week ago. Tired by their on-foot journey, Buffalo fell into a 16-0 hole against Sam Darnold, Le'Veon Bell and a Gang Green squad that generated a dash of playoff buzz in August. The Bills would not be held down, though, squelching the Jets in a blaze of holy fire, leaving their AFC East rivals banged, tattered and nursing strange viruses.
Bills' season should include playoff trip; Dallas boasts rising star

LightReaper fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 17, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

Their previous GM was a tire fire who severely overpaid for a bad cornerback who had great interception numbers because Aaron Donald would cause QB's to piss themselves and throw prayer balls.

Similarly to the Patriots, the Rams really seem to let the right guys go. Or at least, the guys they let go seem to look a lot worse elsewhere

Kalli posted:

There's one good team and one mediocre 2-0 team. But you're right, a lot of people liked what they did this offseason and that has been borne out early. To me the biggest change by far is that their offensive line is performing well in both the pass and the run game. It was a disaster last year so Beane and McDermott deserve credit for what they've done with it in only one offseason. Combined with picking up some receiving options and Josh Allen playing a little better in year 2 they're looking relatively solid.

They've only played bad teams so far though, which continues until week 4 vs. the Pats

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
lol

https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1173987338902482944?s=21

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Kalli posted:

I wouldn't call the Bills a "good" team yet, and I'm all about them.

They're realistically 2 years away from making noise provided they have good injury luck and a good draft next year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

I don't even know who Adam Gase is!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1173724029041217536

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Steve Young is what is colloquially known as a right oval office.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
lick those boots steve

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Someone lock Philip Rivers in a hyperbaric chamber, it isnt safe for QBs right now

Nov 6, 2002

Steve Young has like two brain cells left to rub together, so whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

a neat cape posted:

Someone lock Philip Rivers in a hyperbaric chamber, it isnt safe for QBs right now

you could probably argue that the bloodlust has been sated for now

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

"Philip Rivers injured in hyperbaric chamber mishap"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wilderthanmild posted:

"Philip Rivers injured in hyperbaric chamber mishap"

yeah, I was gonna say, if any team is a Final destination re-enactment.....

Nov 6, 2002

"Philip Rivers impregnates hyperbaric chamber in mishap"

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think more than ever the general sentiment is that you need a decent QB to win at bare minimum in the modern NFL and that you almost certainly need to pick somewhere at least in the top 10 or higher to guarantee your best shot at getting one. So it is starting to lead to NBA style tanking, where you really want to pick super high up since the value of that one player on your franchise is so incredibly high.

The idea of picking a dude later to develop on the bench for a few years as a successor seems pretty dead. Off the top of my head the only young QBs playing in the last five years that weren't Top 15 picks are Dak and I guess now Lamar (who was still a first rounder).

This is carryover from the last thread, but to me the Dolphins actions resemble a team where the new head coach wants to establish that it's his way or the highway. Not a team that's intentionally tanking for better draft picks. The Dolphins have a Top 10 pick at quarterback on their roster. He's currently on the bench behind a garbage journeyman.

Teams looking to build for the future don't trade away young, talented players on their rookie contracts. Those pieces are the building blocks for your future. You get rid of all the expensive vets who may have value to other teams in the league.

Nov 6, 2002

Simplex posted:

This is carryover from the last thread, but to me the Dolphins actions resemble a team where the new head coach wants to establish that it's his way or the highway. Not a team that's intentionally tanking for better draft picks. The Dolphins have a Top 10 pick at quarterback on their roster. He's currently on the bench behind a garbage journeyman.

After watching the Dolphins line this Sunday I think playing Rosen sparingly is probably the right move. In fact put him 3rd string so he doesn't get a career threatening injury.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Simplex posted:

Teams looking to build for the future don't trade away young, talented players on their rookie contracts. Those pieces are the building blocks for your future. You get rid of all the expensive vets who may have value to other teams in the league.

Yeah their "plan", if that's truly what it is, is not impressive. They're going to be just as bad next year, you can't just put a few high draft picks on a team and assume you'll be good, it doesn't work like that. You can't just press the reset button, building a team happens gradually over the course of years and is a process of trial and error. Personally I don't think it's gonna work like they hope

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think more than ever the general sentiment is that you need a decent QB to win at bare minimum in the modern NFL and that you almost certainly need to pick somewhere at least in the top 10 or higher to guarantee your best shot at getting one. So it is starting to lead to NBA style tanking, where you really want to pick super high up since the value of that one player on your franchise is so incredibly high.

The idea of picking a dude later to develop on the bench for a few years as a successor seems pretty dead. Off the top of my head the only young QBs playing in the last five years that weren't Top 15 picks are Dak and I guess now Lamar (who was still a first rounder).

Jacoby Brissett! Just barely in the last five years, but it counts.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
uh, the chiefs should be going all in on a title.

not getting ramsay is a major stutterstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Why trade for Rosen if you're just gonna tank to pick a QB?

You can trot some other bum out there with Fitzpatrick and lose 16 games.