Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Ross will die eventually.

I don't know if that matters that much tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We have a rule against threatening fellow goons :redhammer:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1176226611617832960

fales lived up to his name

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh man you’re exactly right if only Miami thought ahead and started securing 2021 picks...

I’m shocked a Browns fan of all folks doesn’t understand what Miami is doing, but I’m floored you somehow don’t see our clear as day blueprint is the same as Cleveland’s - Miami + CLE simply had different equity.

Miami had a few talented players that had value. Cleveland has back to back awful seasons. They had draft equity. Both use that value to secure the specific value they are targeted (ie QB in 1st round 2020 draft, go into next 2 drafts expecting to spend 3-4 picks on line, etc. pick a scheme)

But for some reason you’re paralleling them with Colts, which simply lost everything they could and drafted Andrew Luck, assuming it was finished because PEYTON was good enough, after all...

Who in this upcoming FA class are you signing that speeds this up? Devin Funchess? Maybe a 38yo Andrew Whitworth will manage Brady levels of longevity. Yall keep saying "they'll just sign FA's" but man there's nobody coming up.

Luck loving died because of talent mismanagement. He got plugged into a team with a ton of holes that never got addressed. The Dolphins have a 2016 Browns level roster right now i.e. have 0 talent. You're looking at a roster that's on the level of the 1-15 Browns and telling me they wont have a top 3 pick again the following year.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

I dunno, I like the idea of the Jets having QBs with names slightly off of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. They could find someone named Ron Rodger, Payton Channing, or Tim Brody.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Huh, I wonder what Tom Brandstater is up to now?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who in this upcoming FA class are you signing that speeds this up? Devin Funchess? Maybe a 38yo Andrew Whitworth will manage Brady levels of longevity. Yall keep saying "they'll just sign FA's" but man there's nobody coming up.

Luck loving died because of talent mismanagement. He got plugged into a team with a ton of holes that never got addressed. The Dolphins have a 2016 Browns level roster right now i.e. have 0 talent. You're looking at a roster that's on the level of the 1-15 Browns and telling me they wont have a top 3 pick again the following year.

I am? Where?

That’s my whole point. Miami isn’t doing that. I thought that would’ve been clear with my sarcastic comment about Miami not doing anything to plan for anything outside of the 2020 off season outside of... i dunno. Maybe trading for a teams 2021 1st?!

Colts tank = one draft one guy will be the difference
Miami tank = we need an entire roster purge. No bandaid.

Miami’s not tanking how you think they are. For instance - they won’t be giving top contracts next offseason. No Suh / Wallace type stuff. That’s a big change in of itself!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is your reminder that the Green Bay Packers are 3-0.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I really don't want to keep having this "the dolphins are so lovely that they shouldn't draft a QB" argument across multiple threads, so I'm just going to drop it here.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This is your reminder that the Green Bay Packers are 3-0.

:hellyeah:

With Rodgers struggling and the defense carrying the team!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Never draft a quarterback, those are simply distractions from Establishing The Run.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Whoa what the heck

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

I am? Where?

That’s my whole point. Miami isn’t doing that. I thought that would’ve been clear with my sarcastic comment about Miami not doing anything to plan for anything outside of the 2020 off season outside of... i dunno. Maybe trading for a teams 2021 1st?!

Colts tank = one draft one guy will be the difference
Miami tank = we need an entire roster purge. No bandaid.

Miami’s not tanking how you think they are. For instance - they won’t be giving top contracts next offseason. No Suh / Wallace type stuff. That’s a big change in of itself!

I've been saying take the long view. Don't take your QB now and try to rush him along when at least the Vikings, Colts and likely Buccs are going to be set to sell as many drafts as possible to get a QB. I don't see the point of drafting a QB so early in a rebuild when this is year 1 of 4-5 years of rebuilding. Sit and watch is no more proven than starting a guy immediately far as development goes.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I've been saying take the long view. Don't take your QB now and try to rush him along when at least the Vikings, Colts and likely Buccs are going to be set to sell as many drafts as possible to get a QB. I don't see the point of drafting a QB so early in a rebuild when this is year 1 of 4-5 years of rebuilding. Sit and watch is no more proven than starting a guy immediately far as development goes.

Jameis will be the starter in Tampa next year. They aren't selling for a QB until at least 2021.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The last good Bama QB in the NFL was Kenny Stabler.

One million years ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here are the 3-0 teams:

Kansas City Chiefs - Play the lions next. Will likely be 4-0 next week.

Los Angeles Rams - Play the bucs next. Outcome unknown because the Rams have struggled this year and the bucs continue to buc.

Buffalo Bills - Play the pats next. Will most likely be 3-1 afterwards.

Green Bay Packers - Eagles will be the best team they've played. With the struggles the packers have had, they could drop this one. I say it's a bigger risk than the rams have vs the bucs.

Dallas Cowboys - Play the saints next which the cowboys, if actually good, should beat.

New England Patriots - Bills. I would love them to lose, but most likely not going to happen.

San Francisco 49ers - They play the browns. Good chance of making it to 4-0

So looks like next week there may only be three undefeated teams left.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Finding a QB is everything, nothing else matters in a rebuild if you can't do that. If Miami thinks Tua is their guy, they should draft him regardless of what else will be on the roster around him. Accumulating more picks at the cost of a franchise QB is not really the smart move.

And there is no such thing as a 4-5 year rebuild. If it's taking that long you already failed and are probably on another coach if not GM and have started over.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eagles need to heal very quickly if they're going to knock off Green Bay

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Jameis will be the starter in Tampa next year. They aren't selling for a QB until at least 2021.

Do they even have the money to franchise him? He's playing the 5th year option right now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It’s interesting and sorta funny that every 1st round QB picked in the last few years has kinda worked out to some degree, or at least shown promise, except for Mitch Trubisky

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

Green Bay Packers - Eagles will be the best team they've played. With the struggles the packers have had, they could drop this one. I say it's a bigger risk than the rams have vs the bucs.

Aren't the Eagles horribly injured? They're also playing on the road in Lambeau against a fired-up Packers defense. I'm not saying it can't happen, of course, but I think the Packers have to be favored here, right?

The Packers run defense has shown weakness this season, but Jordan Howard has been having a really lackluster start to 2019. The Packers pass defense has been eating people alive.

I'm really looking forward to the game Thursday and I hope the 3-day turnaround doesn't affect match quality too much.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

someone with a subscription tell me what joe person says about cam's lisfranc injury here

either he's casually breaking news or just trying to get click

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1176223836959887360?s=20

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Do they even have the money to franchise him? He's playing the 5th year option right now.

Yeah. They are projected to have like the 12th most cap room next year. They structured a lot of the big contracts up front so they get a bunch of relief next year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

someone with a subscription tell me what joe person says about cam's lisfranc injury here

either he's casually breaking news or just trying to get click

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1176223836959887360?s=20

I'm not reading it so I'm just gonna post it:

quote:

The Panthers wasted no time Monday in announcing that quarterback Kyle Allen would make another start this week against Houston.

And it could be Allen’s job for a while.

After bungling the PR side of Cam Newton’s foot injury last week, the Panthers moved quickly Monday to try to prevent any additional mixed messages or the bad optics of Ron Rivera walking out of a press conference.

Rivera still declined to give a firm timeline for Newton’s return. But here’s one that would make the most sense for the long-term outlooks of both player and team:

Keep Newton on the sideline through the Oct. 20 bye.

Multiple sources confirmed Newton is dealing with a Lisfranc injury, in which the ligaments of the mid-foot rupture, causing instability with the joints. Some Lisfranc injuries involve trauma to the small bones in the foot, although the Panthers’ initial wording that Newton had sustained a mid-foot sprain would suggest his is ligament-related.

Depending on the severity, some athletes require season-ending surgery to repair Lisfranc, which was the case with former Panthers center Ryan Kalil in 2012.

And though Rivera would not answer a question about possible surgery for Newton, sources said that is not the plan at this time.

Sports medicine experts suggest a recovery period of four to eight weeks for athletes taking a non-surgical approach to a Lisfranc, depending on the severity.

Newton began practicing 11 days after initially injuring his foot in the third preseason game at New England, which in hindsight was clearly way too soon. He played in Week 1 against the Rams, before aggravating the foot in a Sept. 12 loss to Tampa Bay.

If Newton remains sidelined until after the bye, that would keep him off his foot for 5½ weeks, which would fall in the middle of the recommended timeline. In that scenario, he’d miss three more games — at Houston, vs. Jacksonville and vs. Tampa Bay in London — before returning Oct. 27 at San Francisco.

Allen has shown he’s more than capable of stepping in and playing well. In leading a 38-20 victory Sunday at Arizona, Allen improved to 2-0 as a starter – with both wins coming on the road.

If the Panthers needed any more convincing not to rush Newton back too quickly again, Allen provided it. The Phoenix-area native torched his hometown team, completing 19-of-26 passes for 261 yards and four touchdowns.

He’s just the fourth Panthers’ quarterback to throw four touchdowns without an interception in a game, and his 144.4 passer rating is the second-highest in team history, behind Newton’s 153.3 mark against Atlanta in 2015.

Most importantly, Allen saved the Panthers from falling into an 0-3 hole, from which only 2.9 percent of teams have recovered to make the playoffs.

“I think Kyle’s performance was what we needed,” Rivera said. “He came out and played very well and did the things we were hoping he would do. I think what it does is it energizes us at a time we needed a little bit of energy.”

Based on what Allen did last year against Atlanta (when he played well in a cameo for an injured Taylor Heinicke) and New Orleans, teammates were not surprised by his success against the Cardinals.

Still, it was reassuring that Allen was able to win a game in which the opposition was not resting its starters — at a time when, as Rivera said, the Panthers desperately needed it.

“Kyle had us fired up. Kyle answered the call. He was ready,” cornerback Donte Jackson said. “He said earlier (last) week, ‘If my number gets called, I’ll be ready.’ And he was. We have a lot of trust and respect (for) him, and we know he can get the job done.”

If Allen can keep the Panthers afloat over the next few weeks, maybe a healthy Newton returns and plays like he did the first half of the 2018 season before his shoulder went bad.

Newton has played hurt a lot over the past eight-plus seasons — likely more than he or the team has let on. Now 30, it takes a little longer for the ligaments to heal and the aches to stop hurting.

He very obviously wasn’t himself the first two weeks of the season, when he didn’t run and had trouble stepping into his throws on a compromised left foot. It was clear Newton needed a break — mentally and physically — which he practically shouted from the podium before the Tampa Bay loss when he said he was tired of being hurt.

It seems the Panthers have finally heard him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Aren't the Eagles horribly injured? They're also playing on the road in Lambeau against a fired-up Packers defense. I'm not saying it can't happen, of course, but I think the Packers have to be favored here, right?

The Packers run defense has shown weakness this season, but Jordan Howard has been having a really lackluster start to 2019. The Packers pass defense has been eating people alive.

I'm really looking forward to the game Thursday and I hope the 3-day turnaround doesn't affect match quality too much.

Yeah, only reason the game was even as close as it was was the Lions being the Lions

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers are favoured in the game right now, the line is -4.5 Packers. I think the Eagles stand a pretty good chance if DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey suit up.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Yeah. They are projected to have like the 12th most cap room next year. They structured a lot of the big contracts up front so they get a bunch of relief next year.

Ok they'll have space so I have to ask a followup

Why? It's been 5 years we know what Jameis is it's not like another year of evaluation is really necessary

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It seems premature to say whether or not the Bucs are keeping Jameis or not. I would think the answer depends on how this season plays out under Arians.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Pretty sure this is a franchise record

https://twitter.com/JeffMillerLAT/status/1176128093376770048?s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

Multiple sources confirmed Newton is dealing with a Lisfranc injury, in which the ligaments of the mid-foot rupture, causing instability with the joints. Some Lisfranc injuries involve trauma to the small bones in the foot, although the Panthers’ initial wording that Newton had sustained a mid-foot sprain would suggest his is ligament-related.

whelp

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Ok they'll have space so I have to ask a followup

Why? It's been 5 years we know what Jameis is it's not like another year of evaluation is really necessary

He's only 3 games into this new offense and has improved every game. Arians loves him and part of the reason he took the job. Unless he completely melts down (could certainly happen) he'll be back. If he's even average he'll be back.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Didn't Cam injure his foot in pre-season? They are dumb for even putting him out there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

The Packers are favoured in the game right now, the line is -4.5 Packers. I think the Eagles stand a pretty good chance if DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey suit up.

I'm not worried about Jackson and Jeffery, not with Alexander, Savage, and Amos manning the secondary. My real question about the Eagles offense is how their OL is holding up -- the Packers front 7 has been nightmarish so far.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1176236795777966086?s=20

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1176236540508418048?s=20

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It’s interesting and sorta funny that every 1st round QB picked in the last few years has kinda worked out to some degree, or at least shown promise, except for Mitch Trubisky

It's driving me insane that not only is this not true but even a bunch of backups are lighting it up. I'm just telling myself it's because there isn't enough tape on them for defenses to key on like they have with Mitch and baker mayfield and a few others but god drat he needs a big game tonight

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I already wanted the Bears to lose but now I REALLY do

https://twitter.com/FamousCeleb/status/1176230778167906305?s=19

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The Eagles definitely have a shot.

But for anyone who hasn’t watched the games, the Green Bay passing game has been *really* off the first three weeks. The three wins so far were on the back of a defense generating turnovers and a vastly improved running game.

It’s seems unlikely Rodgers will struggle this bad all year long. It’s not implausible he could get back on track against a heavily injured Eagles team.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Has this been discussed

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1176134409222852610?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

I already wanted the Bears to lose but now I REALLY do

https://twitter.com/FamousCeleb/status/1176230778167906305?s=19

imagine losing this bet because Mitch Trubisky has the game of his life.

You'd have to kill yourself at that point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I’m reading about the Packers young incredible secondary and brutal edge rushers and can’t loving wait for Patrick to face them in a few weeks and test his mettle