Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think more than ever the general sentiment is that you need a decent QB to win at bare minimum in the modern NFL and that you almost certainly need to pick somewhere at least in the top 10 or higher to guarantee your best shot at getting one. So it is starting to lead to NBA style tanking, where you really want to pick super high up since the value of that one player on your franchise is so incredibly high.

The idea of picking a dude later to develop on the bench for a few years as a successor seems pretty dead. Off the top of my head the only young QBs playing in the last five years that weren't Top 15 picks are Dak and I guess now Lamar (who was still a first rounder).

This is carryover from the last thread, but to me the Dolphins actions resemble a team where the new head coach wants to establish that it's his way or the highway. Not a team that's intentionally tanking for better draft picks. The Dolphins have a Top 10 pick at quarterback on their roster. He's currently on the bench behind a garbage journeyman.

Teams looking to build for the future don't trade away young, talented players on their rookie contracts. Those pieces are the building blocks for your future. You get rid of all the expensive vets who may have value to other teams in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the thing nobody has mentioned is that teams don't write out 15 plays and then run off-tackle on 3rd and 12 because that's what the script called for. Instead there're a bunch of miniature scripts for down and distance and field position.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It pretty conveniently leaves off attempts and interceptions.