Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
There was no way anyone could find out about her lost vote (unless she screwed up and told them) and thus there's not really any scenario where she would need her vote. I guess a 5-5 tie, but it's the first episode and realistically if everyone knew going into Tribal it was going to be 5-5 someone would flip before the vote anyway.

The punishment *should* be a publicly lost vote because then it becomes a much bigger issue (and thus more strategically interesting). For example, piling votes on her for a 9-0 vote becomes a pretty safe thing to do since even if she has and plays an idol they would get a chance to re-vote instead of her one vote deciding who goes home. There are also some vote split plans that only become viable if they know about the missing vote (ordinarily you need 7 votes to split on a 10 person tribe, but with one missing vote you can get away with 6, not that that would have been too relevant here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
On Know-It-Alls, Stephen one time talked about how they're never told to have over-the-top reactions (particularly at the reveals of rewards) but it's a weird thing he found himself doing in the moment partly because it was what he was used to seeing on TV.

That being said, if I had to eat nothing but tiny portions of super bland rice for a week straight and was staring down another month of the same and then had the possibility of spices dangled in front of me, I'd probably be very over the top in my emotions too.

No idea if they re-shot reaction shots to Rob/Sandra busts but it is funny that the only two people on the cast that didn't seem to be fans of the show were Elizabeth and Kellee, so bad luck on the show's part for obtaining legitimate excited reactions there.

I do get the sense the show's production ethos is more in line with "pumping up the castaways to have weirdly big reactions to everything" then "re-shoot bad footage with faked big reactions" though. The only re-shoot stories I've heard* are situations where the cameras miss something (usually an idol find), and even then they don't really make the players act they just use them more as moving body doubles to get enough footage to make the story make sense. I actually bet Chelsea's idol find was re-shot for exactly this reason, because the find itself was completely brief and stoic and all genuine reaction stuff was in confessional.

*(okay, one notable exception is the buzz that the Final Tribal Council of Season 4 was completely re-shot after they weren't happy with the first round, but I feel like that's more of a weird early season anomaly where Jeff was uncomfortable doing his on-the-fly producing/meddling than the type of thing that regularly happens nowadays)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
All the pre-season coverage insisted they were really living out there and there was a secret scene this week that showed them sleeping on the bamboo.

It makes so little sense for them to be living out there that I don't blame anyone who refuses to believe it but all evidence suggests they really are living there in traditional Survivor conditions.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Here's the secret scene I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne1eqifkRlY
It'd be a weird thing to fake a scene like this so I'm pretty firmly on the side of "they're really living there" but I am so confused as to why. Unfortunately the only reasonable explanation is that they're entering the game in some capacity at some point.

I forget if I posted it in this thread or not, but my theory pre-season was that at the merge Rob and Sandra will somehow have the opportunity to "replace" a player in the game. So if, say, Rob replaces Dean then Dean is out and Rob is playing "as" him, inheriting any idols/advantages, and if Rob wins than Dean "wins" and Dean gets the million. The Oath of the Idols seems consistent with this theory (I guess you'd have to say the loophole for "we do not vote" is "ROB doesn't have a vote, DEAN has the vote and Rob is just using it for him").

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This is one of those votes that makes a lot more sense when you remember the players are all assuming they're going to swap after 3 rounds or so. If the woman vote out Tom they just further alienate Dean and Aaron who will almost certainly defect to the other side at a swap. By voting out Vince and letting the guys put votes on Karishma they're vaguely putting out an olive branch to keep it at least slightly more likely that the Dean/Aaron/Tom won't defect at the first possible moment.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

That makes sense. But it still all potentially goes to hell if Vince pulls out an idol and you don't get swapped. I don't really think you can play for twists you don't know are coming. Even if they're decently likely. You gotta play with the factors you can actually see.

I don't know, Vince seemed pretty firmly and openly on the women's side. If Vince has an idol it would have to be a pretty contrived situation for him to be using it against the Lairo women.

It feels like we missed Vince's post-Island of Idols debrief, it's possible he misplayed it badly and came off really shady (especially if Elizabeth told the real scoop to the women if Vince was lying).

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Aerox posted:

I just was able to watch the episode, so forgive me if this was answered in some interview or something, but what do we think Karishma whispered to the women right before the vote?

I'm torn between it being some sort of bullshit nonsense, or some sort of assurance on her part that she worked Vince over hard which is why he didn't play the idol, because that's the only explanation I can think of as to why he'd sit on it.

Just speculation on my part but I suspect Karishma was just conferring with the Lairo women to make sure they all thought Vince wasn't playing the idol. If Vince was going to play it, Karishma knows her neck is on the line (and presumably the Lairo women reassured her that she'd be fine and Vince wasn't playing anything), so it makes sense she'd want to check in to make sure none of that had updated info and/or a different read on Vince since before Tribal.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Season 6 is one of the only seasons I doubt I would ever be able to rewatch and "just a fascinating time capsule of the time!" is a pretty lousy excuse. The show leaning so heavily into stereotypes and production actively encouraging these stereotypes and gross behavior was really bad and not really something that any other season of the show did.

As bad of an idea as the race season was, at least we didn't get a bunch of weird confessionals / Jeff TC questions about stereotyping the other tribes and grossly objectifying the other players.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
In defense of making big moves early, in the last 4 seasons the winner has been untouchable because of idols and immunity from like Final 7 on, so if you're settling in with a longterm alliance you better be pretty confident you can either out-idol/challenge them or can handily win a jury vote against them. In that respect, I don't really mind Missy aiming for a smaller goatier alliance than the bigger normal people alliance.

I *do* still think it's weird Elaine/Elizabeth refused Dean but caved for Chelsea.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Vernacular posted:

Was it really necessary/worth further ostracizing a sensitive ally-by-default?

The whole practice of treating Karishma like a lame duck alliance member is foolish no matter how you spin it. Bring her on board or don’t, don’t half-measure it.

For now this is just fanfiction but it could very well be the case that Missy's anti-Karishma rant at TC was pre-planned with Karishma. Karishma didn't really seem to react all that negatively to it (although she also did seem to genuinely think she was going home, so who knows).

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The above posts are all strange to me because the entire last act of the show was the majority alliance laying out the reasons for/against Karishma, Tom, and Dean and all 3 seemed in play going into the Tribal. It's pretty common to see post-swap votes where the majority tribe is just picking off a member of the minority tribe edited exactly like that (see, for instance, almost every Ghost Island post-swap episode).

Both Janet and Noura pretty clearly laid a case against Tom, it wasn't really out of nowhere. It certainly made a lot more sense than the Chelsea vote last week.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Also keeping Karishma around is hardly guaranteeing challenge losses forever. She won a challenge on the original Lairo and they've gotten pretty close in others (Dean was one good basketball throw away from getting this one for them this time). And there's probably one two more pre-merge rounds anyway.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The four Vokais were pointlessly cocky but exactly what sort of contingency plan did people want them to have for a Block-a-Vote? The only thing you can do at that point is try to turn the four Lairo against each other which is exactly what they tried to do and almost succeeded at. I guess they could have tried to throw Aaron under the bus to Elaine right before the vote, but then you’re just trading a “rely on Aaron to flip” plan for a “rely on Elaine to flip” plan which isn’t better in any obvious way.

By the way, I rant about this every season but I’m due to rant again: basically every advantage except for idols really hurt the game (and the show). A block/extra vote is useless 90% of the time until its suddenly not and then there’s basically nothing you can do to stop it (especially when you don’t even know for sure it’s in the game). If your opponent has an idol you can outsmart then by switching targets or luring then into a false sense of security, but if your opponent has one of these dumb situational advantages at exactly the right moment then oh well!

People are acting like the Vokais plan was unreasonably complicated and didn’t allow for anything to go wrong when it was really the simplest possible plan to cover the only coverable power (Lairo having an idol). If Aaron flips, they survive by 4-3-1. If Aaron doesn’t flip but the Lairos have an idol, the Lairos waste the idol on the fake vote-out- Elaine plan that Aaron leaks. They guarantee they at least get to a tie, and can then hope their tough guy act results in someone flipping right before the rock draw. And by all accounts the plan would have worked (without the advantage coming into play) unless we think Missy/Aaron’s repeated confessionals about refusing to draw rocks were from a different point in the game or something.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Although I guess the main argument I've heard/read is that all the whispering scrambling chaos might have spooked Aaron into changing his vote. So if they had just had a simplified plan and didn't panic maybe he would have flipped? But that seems like a complete unknown until Aaron gets out and tells us something.

While this might have had some effect it would require knowledge of exactly what advantage Lairo has. If they simplify it to a 5-3 "vote Elaine" plan and Aaron is playing them and leaks the plan to Lairo who has an idol, then they just play the idol and the vote is 0-3. And they're assumption should probably be to cover the idol over an extra vote since idols are much more common and Elaine just got back from a literal Island of Idols.

The Bloop posted:

I also agree that these types of advantages are bad for the game from a mechanical balance perspective. That's not the primary concern of producers, though. Ratings are. I'm sure they focus group and data mine the gently caress out of things and I'm equally sure that the average viewer isn't game theorizing and doesn't notice/care about minor imbalances. Survivor is inherently imbalanced anyway.

I think you're giving too much credit to the producers assuming they are focus grouping these decisions, but even if they are they're trading something that is very occasionally exciting for one episode for a bunch of long-term effects that are bad for the show. The advantages contribute to the general feeling that the show is hard to follow and big things just randomly happen, which is a common complaint about the modern seasons from both the hardcore base and the casual fans. The show keeps the audience engaged by asking them to "play along" and have some Monday Morning Quarterback decision about what they would do in that situation but when the answer becomes "shrug!" you start to lose the audience over time.

The producers clearly know this on some level because the tension of the last act was built around Aaron's informed decision knowing about the advantage (Shannon Gaitz from RHAP said it better than I can):
https://twitter.com/ShannonGaitz/status/1189880218598592514
The issue is that while they salvaged some tension there it felt kind of artificial because once Aaron knew about the advantage it didn't really make much sense for him to flip anymore.

The advantages also generally encourage more conservative gameplay from the majority alliance, and also this:

Fast Luck posted:

Also, I don’t like all the extra advantages either, but then this being the best ep so far probably encourages the producers on this kind of thing, and I bet they don’t notice all the good stuff that DOESN’T happen because of the twists.

Especially since we now know that without the advantage then we probably would have got Aaron effectively voting himself out due to his fear of rocks (a great storyline that I don't think has ever happened before!) or a rock draw (never happened in the pre-merge before!).

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

man this plan had so many moving parts and relied on noura being able to keep her mouth shut and I'm shocked it worked

Noura and Dean even credibly fake-fought at tribal and convinced the rest of the tribe they were at odds! Noura!

And I'm not even sure Kellee is better off than she was before!

Maybe I misunderstood but I don't think Kellee let Noura in on the full plan. I think her plan was to tip Noura off that she thought Dean may have an idol and was voting Noura, so she should vote Jack as a mini 5-1-1 vote split insurance plan.

What *is* impressive is Noura kept her poker face up when Jamal played the idol on her, since Noura knew the idol was going to be wasted and Jamal was just sealing his own ally's fate.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

freeman posted:

I don't blame Jamal for getting paranoid about it. Not his fault that editing tries to suggest a potential girls alliance what seems like every season even if it almost never happens.

Him playing his idol on Noura was one of the strangest idol plays I can remember. Hope that comes up in an interview sometime because I'd love to know his reasoning.

Jamal thought Dean was voting Noura and it was going to be 6-1. With the idol on Noura it’s 0-0 and on the revote the 5 Vokais can vote Karishma.

That said it is kind of needlessly risky. If Dean is playing this idol he obviously doesn’t trust the Noura plan and if he doesn’t trust the Noura plan there’s no guarantee he still votes Noura. I guess Jamal was banking on Dean thinking his idol play was a “I probably don’t need this but just in case...” kind of play.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think I can see production's side of this. When it came up earlier in the season it seemed to get kind of brushed aside by everyone, including us. Once the merge happens and Kellee makes clear its really affecting her production offers to get involved. She says no but they act anyway and give him a warning. Then everything just plays out in the worst way imaginable.

I just want to strongly disagree with this. I'm an idiot that doesn't know anything but in my eyes the Official Warning should have been, at absolute latest, the first time Dan touched Kellee after their Episode 1 conversation (we saw him weirdly kiss her head in Episode 2) and then the Removal should have been, at absolute latest, the moment he touched her after the warning. Really, there's no reason not to have a Warning (or even the general production-lead conversation with everyone about personal boundaries) as soon as Kellee is uncomfortable enough to have the conversation with him in Episode 1. From that moment, production knows this is a potential safety concern and should be as proactive as possible in preventing it from escalating. Production waiting until the merge to even start the process seems unacceptable.

An analogy I've seen online that I think highlights the mistakes here is to think of this like a medevac-type situation. If production saw a player casually limping on one their right knee, they would immediately intervene and investigate and proactively prevent it from getting worse by bandaging any open wounds and monitoring for infections. And the moment the situation got worse and became a safety concern they would be pulled even if the player insisted it wasn't a big deal and they could just take care of it themselves. Here, the fact that Kellee ever had to talk to Dan about this (regardless of whether or not she says It's Fine And Settled Now) should be a big siren going off that requires immediate action to prevent from getting worse.

ETA: To clarify, I didn't mean I disagreed with STAC in particular, just strongly disagree with the general idea I've seen pop up elsewhere that production didn't really make any major mistakes here (which I realize is not quite what STAC said!).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 16, 2019

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Should they, though? From a gameplay perspective? What if removing Dan changes the power balance in the game enough that somebody winds up losing that wouldn't have otherwise? What if Kellee was correct in the idea that having Dan removed would cause other players to treat her differently? What if Kellee planned on using bad will generated by Dan's actions as a gameplay element?

Dan wasn't, to the best of my knowledge, raping players. She felt uncomfortable with unwanted physical contact and he did not honor her requests to stop. She is 100% in the right, he is 100% in the wrong. If she'd asked for intervention, I'd expect him to get a single warning, then get ejected from the game, period.

But an entire part of the game is 'doing things that other players don't like.' Again, to the best of my knowledge, she didn't feel sexually threatened or unsafe, just, for lack of a better term, skeeved out. I don't think that rises to the level of 'forced ejection,' like, say, Brandon Hantz was. It absolutely rises to the level of 'producer intervention,' which there was.

Like it or not, the producers also have to thread a fine line of 'how much is she playing?' Maybe she's hamming it up for the camera. Jamal pointed out the idea of 'believe victims,' yet we had players who had just admitted that they exaggerated things for gameplay purposes.

If someone is a safety concern, that is a much higher priority than considering the strategic effect their removal from the game will have. When Neal was medevaced (with an idol!) in Kaoh Rong it completely screwed up the Brains tribe's place in the merge tribe and messed up Aubry's game in particular.

The other thing is even if nobody is currently reporting feeling unsafe, the producers have a duty to be proactive. Dan repeatedly made physical contact with Kellee after she explicitly told him to stop. After that point he is no longer someone you can trust around others and it's now at the point where it could very easily escalate to an unsafe situation. Even if Kellee was currently "fine" with the situation (she clearly wasn't) and even if she didn't insist on production intervention (not her duty to insist), the producers have a duty to prevent it from getting to the point where it becomes unsafe. When they medevac'd Neal in Kaoh Rong, they did so BEFORE the infection was bad enough to require amputation.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The two most likely explanations for the 11-person jury over 10-person jury are (1) Rob and Sandra are jurors and 13 is a better jury number than 12 (possibility of a 4-4-4 tie), (2) juror removal is the last Island of Idols advantage.

The conspiracy theories that Production Wanted This All Along seems crazy to me. I'm sure I'm reading way too much into things, but I think you can clearly see production change its mind in real time about whether the incident was even going to be in the episode.

The Big Producer Meeting (and Official Warning) all happened *before* the first Tribal. Despite those things being very much on everyone's mind they're never acknowledged by the players or Jeff in the first Tribal. It seems clear to me production was trying to bury the issue and it was never meant to be apart of the show and everyone was trying to pretend it didn't happen. It would have been very easy to edit around the issue in the first episode by just pretending the Dan votes were because Dan was just "annoying" or whatever. Kellee's Ponderosa video feels like it's from this alternate universe, where she was told to just act like none of that stuff ever happened because it was never making the cut in the episode.

I think production then realized while filming the second episode that they couldn't (or maybe shouldn't) avoid it anymore because it was going to be essential for understanding why Janet was doing anything she was doing. Remember, Jeff is functioning as a producer at Tribal and he is clearly producing the scene very differently in the Second Tribal. You can also see how reluctant Janet is to talk explicitly about anything until Jeff basically gives her the okay. I think this partly explains Dan's confusion at that Tribal, because until his point he's gotten away with it and it's not going to be part of the show (especially if, prior to this point, the players were explicitly told not to talk about it).

I guess my point is, while production is guilty of a ton of stuff, it seems clear just from the way Jeff is acting over the two episodes that production never planned for this to be part of the show until they couldn't avoid the issue anymore.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well with a double elimination this week, it means a 5-person finale for the first time in ages. So it certainly sounds like some kind of screwy thing going on.

20-person seasons need 2 double eliminations to start with a Final 5 at the finale, this is only the first.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Sorry if I missed this if it got posted in this thread, but Reddit detectives analyzed the handwriting and think Karishma voted Elizabeth, Dan voted Janet, and Elizabeth voted Karishma.

I'm torn about how excited I am by the Tribal. On one hand it was awesome seeing Karishma mess with these losers and negate so many votes against her; on the other hand the only reason she needed to play the idol was because of a bunch of unforced errors she made in the first place. On one hand it sucks that her and Elizabeth couldn't get on the same page and vote out Dan 0-2-1, on the other hand I think if they did that then her and Elizabeth would still be the next to go whereas she maybe has more longterm options now.

I guess it was good if Karishma wins the game and bad if she loses!!! (she will win!)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

mancalamania posted:

Sorry if I missed this if it got posted in this thread, but Reddit detectives analyzed the handwriting and think Karishma voted Elizabeth, Dan voted Janet, and Elizabeth voted Karishma.

I'm torn about how excited I am by the Tribal. On one hand it was awesome seeing Karishma mess with these losers and negate so many votes against her; on the other hand the only reason she needed to play the idol was because of a bunch of unforced errors she made in the first place. On one hand it sucks that her and Elizabeth couldn't get on the same page and vote out Dan 0-2-1, on the other hand I think if they did that then her and Elizabeth would still be the next to go whereas she maybe has more longterm options now.

I guess it was good if Karishma wins the game and bad if she loses!!! (she will win!)

I’m an idiot and misread the Reddit stuff. Karishma voted Janet, Dan voted Elizabeth.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Karishma made exactly 0 more long term connections in this tribal. The only thing that happened was the other easy target went home.

I guess when I say long term options I mean she can now be used as an option by other groups in the longer term. She voted for the person the majority told her to vote for, so she’s at least proven that she’s a reliable pawn that other players can use next week. If her and Elizabeth got Dan or whoever out she’s more actively working against the majority and there’s no good reason to work with her going forward.

She said in her idol playing speech that’s what she wanted to be used in that role next round and immediately proved her reliability by voting who the majority told her to (despite knowing they were all against her). I have no idea if it’ll work but it could be worth a shot given that she has no real traction in the game right now and she doesn’t want to have to rely on just Immunitying her way to the endgame.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

AWarmBody posted:

I made the mistake of wandering into Reddit and I'm not sure why r/survivor is on love with Karishma. She is so lazy and complains constantly. Missy was certainly a dick to her, but that sympathy does not erase my opinion of her.

Is anyone in this thread in love with Karishma.. ? Can someone help explain the karishma-love on this cool and good forum?

Anyway who's back is against the wall and finds and plays an idol to save themselves is always going to be popular, although I liked her before that. It's neat that she's pretty reflective and self-aware about how people perceive her (even if she's not so great at changing that perception). I can't think of anyone else who's really recognized they were being viewed as the goat and hustled to change that perception instead of just settling for 2nd/3rd place. Maybe David in Millenials vs. Gen X although he managed to turn things around early enough that he wasn't ever really seen as a "goat."

Also a big defining scene for Karishma plays completely differently now than when it first aired. The cut-hand incident where everyone ignored her initially read as "oh wow she must be so annoying and overdramatic if no one's checking on her," but now that we know that Aaron, Missy, Elizabeth, and Dean are kind of dumb jerks the scene reads a lot more like "oh wow poor Karishma being stuck on this tribe with a bunch of heartless idiots." Especially since the original Vokai people post-swap/post-merge all don't seem to mind her nearly as much as the original Lairos (maybe with the exception of Noura).

Karishma, Janet, and Noura are also the only 3 people left that voted Dan out at the merge vote which helps a lot.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The interviews for Thanksgiving weekend are always on Monday (when they actually happen). That being said, on Know It Alls Rob said he wasn't sure if there would be one, so I'm guessing she's sitting out and going to do the email thing with Mike Bloom that Missy and Aaron did.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Karishma rules and was treated unfairly, but even if that weren't true the players really ought to treat each other with some level of decency. It's easy to say "they're jerks, ignore them!" in everyday life when you can more easily walk away and go home and spend time with loved ones, it's a lot harder to let that stuff roll of your back when you're literally stuck with those people and only those people for over a month (over 3 months on Big Brother!).

Also with regards to why it seems like no one is playing well and no one has really made any moves: because the horrible Dan stuff took up most of the first two episodes, we missed out on a ton of strategy that shaped the post-merge and now none of it makes sense and everything feels like random dumb moves. We still have no real idea (1) why Tommy/Lauren/Dan stuck with the post-swap tribe for the first 2 votes instead of the original tribe (especially given how heated their one post-swap Tribal was!), (2) why Dean was the only one who flipped on his post-swap tribe those first 2 votes (including casually abandoning Kellee who seemed like his only real ally the entire game), (3) how and why original Vokai came back together and why Janet and Noura seem to think it's good in the longterm to stay with them. There's also seems to be a general inconsistency episode-to-episode about which original Lairo are working with the original Vokai and why (Elaine and Dean seemed semi-solidly in with them until this episode when they suddenly weren't, Karishma worked with Elaine to help them but then was working with Elizabeth who she voted against the next episode, etc.). It's easy to write this all off as "what dumb players, none of it makes sense!!" but someone at some point is making some decisions about these moves and we're just seeing who's doing it and what their reasoning is.

It's easy to write off Dean as an idiot (I personally think he is too!) but it's tough to say because the show is just not showing us why he did what he did, where he thinks he stands in either group, and what his longterm plans are. He casually mentioned having an alliance with Dan and Tommy in a confessional this week and who the heck knows if that's a real Final 3 all three of them agreed to or if it's just Dean's delusions or somewhere in between.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
What a disaster of a situation and season as a whole.

Here's a new ugly dimension to this reality I just thought of: Janet has an idol for 5, can make fire better than anyone to get through 4, and would probably beat anyone at Final 3. Essentially the only way she can lose the game is god drat Dean playing his god drat nullifier on her at 5. After all this ugliness, against all odds, the season was inches from having an incredibly satisfying winner, and it's all probably going to go to hell because of a dumb twist and dumb freaking Dean.

Truly the darkest timeline.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Australian Survivor is fun and does some stuff better than the US version but (whether due to padding big runtimes or due to a lower budget) the editing is a real mess. Almost every confessional is spliced together much more noticeably than in the US show, to the point where someone will start a confessional in one place, “continue” their confessional as it cuts to camp life, and then go back to the confessional and the player is in a completely different location (despite all this being edited to one sentence). It’s really hard to get a feel on any given player’s strategy or even personality as a result because we never really get to hear them talk uninterrupted for more than a few words at a time. It’s all just generic stuff like “I have to vote out Luke— for my game— but it may make more sense to keep him— because I have to do what’s right for my game.”

FWIW I recall this being a much bigger issue in the 2018 and 2019 seasons, although I don’t know if I just didn’t notice it in the 2016/17 ones or if it wasn’t as prevalent.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The nullifier is probably the worst advantage because it requires no strategy to use because it can't backfire. There's no penalty for playing it on someone who doesn't play an idol that round, so it effectively just acts as a one-time-use voter insurance, a guarantee that whoever the majority votes for goes home. The only minor incentive to not play it is the fear of not having it later when you may need it more, but Dean got his so late that even that never really factored in.

It was a once-in-a-blue-moon miracle that the nullifier was somewhat satisfying used in 37 but it was only because it was stacked with another advantage (a vote steal) when the minority alliance was exactly one vote down. 99% of the time the nullifier will be a huge bummer like this episode.

Not only is it bad strategically and narratively, it's also just generally unfair. The rules on the parchment with a Hidden Immunity Idol clearly state "If played any votes cast against you will not count." I guess there's now an unspoken rule that all written rules are only rules unless overridden by other rules, which is dumb and bad game design and not very interesting. How can you strategize effectively if you don't even know the rules of the game you're playing? Or if other players who have certain advantages have more knowledge of the rules then you do?

Anyway I'm excited for next season except not really because the dumb Fire Tokens are almost certainly going to be tied to dumb advantages with secret powers and every vote will come down to who drew the right Community Chest card instead of any sort of social strategy.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

If you're in the minority and you play the idol on the wrong person you don't get your way and you or someone in your alliance goes home. If you're in the majority and you play the nullifier on the "wrong" person (someone who doesn't play an idol), you still get your way and your target goes home.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Imagine being Janet and knowing you’d have a million dollars if Rob didn’t turn the coin upside down when it landed.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
They actually have been giving them significantly less food and clothing since season 36 which is why a bunch of recent seasons have a bit at the 2/3rds mark where the players have to negotiate with Jeff for more rice and why they're also still shivering in their wet dirty underwear on Day 38 instead of bathing suits. I don't really know why they're doing this or who it's supposed to entertain, I guess that one poster above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
First Boots (either as a full season theme or the theme for one specific tribe) would be worth it entirely for their reaction after the first immunity challenge. If they win you get the most over-the-top genuine celebration ever, and if they lose the dead-eyed stare of horrified impending dread as they know it's about to happen to one of them all over again.