Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone know how much Rob and Sandra are being paid for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, I'm curious what other options there were. Or maybe if she declined, they would have handicapped Rob on the fire making some. Like raise up his string...

Also, many were wondering what CBS was paying Rob and Sandra to do this. While they are obviously getting $. I feel like the ego boost is probably enough for Rob.

But according to Rob he wouldn't take their first offer and would ask for more because that's how that game is played.

That whole setup of Idol Island was ridiculous; nothing indicated the new player could ask for a different deal than what was offered. I really hoped that she pocketed the flint when no one was looking.

"Okay Elizabeth, time to get in the boat and return to camp"

"No, make me a better offer or I'm going to stay here, miss Tribal council and return in the morning".

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 26, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

How about you not take the incredibly lovely deal that you're guaranteed to lose?? "Keep your vote" is already a better offer than "lose your vote for no reason, like a dumbass".

Or should could have refused the offer, gone to Tribal, been voted out and spend the test of her life regretting not choosing to compete in the fire challenge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

or she could have lost the challenge, then got voted off 5-4 because she surrendered her vote for no reason!!!!!

she made a horrendous low-value play and didn't get punished for it, that doesn't mean it wasn't a horrendous low-value play.

hopefully the real lesson she learned was the friends we made along the way to not just blindly take the first offer handed to you.
Like when Angelina tried to bargain with Probst in David vs Goliath?

I thought the real lesson of Survivor is that if someone makes you an offer (eg to join an alliance), you take that first offer and say "Yes! Let's do it."

And it's easy to sit at home and second-guess. Elizabeth could have suggested, "I can't beat you Rob so how about we make the challenge against Sandra?" Or, like "man, if I was there I would have kicked over Rob's pile of kindling".
But she's been in Survivor for 3 days, was told Rob and Sandra aren't in the game, and are her mentors. There's producers and a camera crew surrounding them. There are 2 fire pits set up for a contest.
And she was an Olympic swimmer - it's a really competitive sport. There's no way she was going to back down from a challenge.

And in lighter news - overall this seems like a really good cast so far.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 27, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Odds on Noura talking too much at Tribal?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

I like what commentator Shannon Gaitz is saying. Rob and Sandra aren’t mentors. They’re producers.

Yes.
That whole podcast is hilarious and informative and that was a great insight that helps explain a lot of what they're doing. Also good explanation for why both Survivors returned to their camps with similar lies about what happened on the IOI.

I like Rob C''s bewilderment over why Sandra and Boston Rob have to live isolated in a hut on an island instead of in a hotel, or in fully-furnished apartments inside the giant heads.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What happens if the next name pulled is voted out at TC ?

The Bloop posted:

They're probably getting paid a couple mil each to be there - who gives a poo poo if they are sleeping on a mattress or not
2 million each for 3 minutes of airtime per episode? Must be because Boston Rob doesn't take the first offer.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Was there a scene of Vince explaining to his tribe what happened at IOI and that Sandra and Rob are there?

Robnoxious posted:

Yo Vince... you got loving played dog!

Rob's lesson for Vince was to stay cool under pressure. Vince stayed cool under the pressure of TC and went home with an idol in his pocket.
Thanks, Rob. Thanks for nothin' !
Too bad it wasn't the turn for Sandra to give actual advice about one of her successful winning tactics, like making fake accusations against another player, or solidly putting the target on someone other than yourself.

Demonstrating how to crawl on sand was kind of a waste of time and irrelevant to how she won twice. Shannon Gaitz was correct -they're not mentors, they're producers doing things to make an entertaining tv show.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 10, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

I just was able to watch the episode, so forgive me if this was answered in some interview or something, but what do we think Karishma whispered to the women right before the vote?

I'm torn between it being some sort of bullshit nonsense, or some sort of assurance on her part that she worked Vince over hard which is why he didn't play the idol, because that's the only explanation I can think of as to why he'd sit on it.

My guess is that she was going to vote Tom but whispered to them that she changed her mind to vote out Vince, so she was still with the 'sorority'.

However this contradicts an earlier scene. When Vince was asking her who she wanted to vote off she wouldn't give him an answer, which I thought was because her actual answer was, "You".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

That was hilarious, and even better that they didn’t show us any of the planning. Just hit us with it like they did with Noura. Ironically there’s a good chance it saved Noura too while the vote blocker she was trying to win wouldn’t have.
Boston Rob's offer was ridiculous. Noura had to get her tribe to make her the caller and then LOSE for her to be able to use the advantage. But if they lost she'd be an easy boot and blocking one person's vote wouldn't save her.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What do Sandra and Rob do when there's no mentoring? Will they reveal a giant head of Probst they've been working on at another place along the beach?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

Probably a lot of what normal people would do on a tropical vacation in Fiji

Get drunk on a boat cruise then back to hotel and have sex?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

nerox posted:

It was funny how quickly their facade of “willing to go to rocks” faded as soon as Elaine showed the advantage.

Also, this was a dumb idol island challenge. If she was spotted pulling the advantage, who cares, they could’ve learned it wasn’t a 4-4 vote a little earlier.

Rob told Elaine about the task "you must secretly grab it (the advantage)", but she told Elizabeth about it before the challenge and should have been DQ'ed from using it.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 31, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SweetJahasus posted:

Why would they sacrifice good tv for some bullshit technicality or making it some super secret island? If they had DQ'd her the episode would have been boring as hell. The more rules they enforce the less fun the game is - let the inmates run the asylum and you'll get better tv.
Elaine should have kicked over the hourglass to stop the sand running out.
That would be great tv.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

What’s the point of keeping it a secret though? Even if you don’t know you have to know they have a chance at an idol when they go there.

Up to now the IOI visitor has been picked apparently at random.
After the reveal I expect the tribe(s) will vote on who gets to go and hang out with Sandra & Rob potentially return with an advantage and information.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Fairly certain there have been more, and more successful bro alliances than women alliances.

Both Kellee and Janet made good, rational strategic choices this week. And somehow Karishma survived another tribal.

Noura: Jamal, I hate you - but that's better than being indifferent towards you.
Jamal: In that case here have an idol. :tipshat:
Me: :wtf:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Sorry I want to be entertained and not talked down to when watching TV.

1. I wanted to give Boston Rob the benefit of the doubt but that shelter looks like it was built with power tools.

2. There's a huge tarp used for the roof of the shelter, you can see the remainder of it rolled up behind them.

3. One time, a few days into a week-long kayak trip in Georgian Bay I got poison ivy rash all over my hands; similar to Sandra's problem but worse and there wasn't much I could do except keep going. So I can relate to her condition.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwDBWL0zw0

Would you say that survivors singing is part of the show's appeal, if so, they've apparently been starving us of all sorts of Jack's singing all season. Did you know he was in an "R&B hiphop acapella group" in college? I wonder how much music, singing, and cabin fever babble they've cut out from the show just by virtue of not live streaming cameras 24/7.

"I sing to keep our morale up" - does he think he's a bard in a D&D campaign?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So anyway....

quote:

The milestone 40th season and 20th year of the Emmy Award-winning, ground-breaking series SURVIVOR debuts with a special two-hour episode Wednesday, Feb. 12 (8:00-10:00 PM), hosted by Jeff Probst. It moves to its regular Wednesday (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) time period on Feb. 19.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AdmiralViscen posted:

Production should have removed Dan from the game.

They could have sent Dan to IOI and had Boston Rob sabotage his game, instead of sabotaging Jamal.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Like if they remove somebody for touching someone now, will they do it next season? Will a castaway be able to just start throwing accusations around to get someone removed from the game?
They're being filmed 24/7. You're reaching more than Dan.

freeman posted:

IMO production has been getting off super easy and that statement they gave was some major bs. They watched a guy sexually harassing multiple women for weeks before they acknowledged it at all.

This is the season of production interference. Can we talk about Jamal's sabotage now?
1. Boston Rob to Jamal: "As soon as you touched that note, you lost your vote...today's lesson is on sabotage". Sandra crazily says, "Read it loud and read it proud!" but the note said he lost his vote at the next tribal council. What is there to be proud about? :confused: Then Rob erroneously states "On Survivor there's no free lunch. You have to earn everything" which was absurd and not even close to being true. "You lost your vote, there's nothing we can do about that. But I want to test see if you understand sabotage. Would you like to try to get someone else?"
2. All the other IOI visitors were given a choice: You can play a game but if you lose, you lose your vote. But there was nothing for Jamal to win from this challenge; he had already lost his vote, and his only 'choice' was to lose even more.
3. Boston Rob sabotages Jamal's game, forcing him to do things that the other castaways will see as suspicious and threatening.
4. Jamal is voted out.
5. All the other IOI visitiors were informed that Sandra and Rob were not playing, but
6. Boston Rob won at sabotaging Jamal's game and getting him voted out.
7. WTF was the lesson?! 'Don't trust Sandra and Rob' ?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 17, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Max posted:

Josh Wiggler just posted about how upset he is with production, I think there's more going on behind the scenes.

I wonder if Fishbach got advance screenings of the episodes and left town until it all blew over. He has also decided to stop blogging for People.com and missed the weekly KIA recap while conveniently travelling abroad.

Khanstant posted:

Also Rob & Sandra, making Survivor History even when they're not a castaway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiI5BMlu1Q

I'm so over Sandra and Rob. First, they tell players they're there as "mentors" then smugly sabotage Jamal's game.
That's not what a mentor is supposed to do.

And now this "best shelter ever built on Survivor" bullshit.
a. They're not on Survivor, they're show production. and b. they obviously have been given all the materials they want, which is not what players get.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 20, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Goat Army going to the Final 3, since this season's strategy is voting out 'the threats'.
It's not getting easier to watch.

STAC Goat posted:

I think I'm willing to believe they built it. Rob's got a construction back ground, Sandra I think does too, and it doesn't look super complicated.

But like, they've had 3 weeks with all the material and time they need, no distractions, and probably a comfortable bed and full stomachs. So whatever. Nice Swiss Family Robinson tree house.

I think Rob designed it, Production supplied all the equipment and material and at least got it started with the lashed upright posts.

Anyway why are Sandra & Rob still hiding at TC?! There was no IOI this week, and it's ridiculous that they're still a 'secret' for a few of the players.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I was already convinced that Production has been far too involved in this season (except in the one matter they should have been more involved in) and the show has turned into Big Brother Outdoors.
Now this.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 22, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
All I ever have for breakfast is oatmeal.

Karishma was clever for going into the challenge so most players wouldn't think she had an advantage, even though Noura and Elizabeth went through her stuff. It was an idol blindside.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

Elaine is still cool and she'd be my choice to win.

I agree that Karishma is getting an awkwardly rosy edit. I've defended her in the past (in terms of the unfair treatment she was getting from Missy etc) but I can definitely see how she'd be a hard person to deal with at camp. There's really not much of an argument to be made for her gameplay-wise, but she did play her idol correctly, which people have been failing to do. A Karishma win would at least be an appropriate end to this trainwreck of a season.

Another Production mistake (IMO) is that we're past the 30 day mark of the game, only 3 episodes left - and Sandra & Rob are still in hiding. So there will be no big 'reveal' of their presence in the game for the few remaining players unaware.
The big giant heads only exist for momentary shock value; Rob's 'biggest shelter ever' was not used by the players (maybe next season?!); the "lessons" were goofy; their impact on the game was minimal (2 misplayed immunity idols, 1 useless "advantage").
What was the point of having them in Fiji? They could have been replaced by a few pieces of parchment.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Karishma made exactly 0 more long term connections in this tribal. The only thing that happened was the other easy target went home.
If the game is now Threats vs. Goats, Karishma could be in the majority alliance.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

1. it's funny

But really

2. Bribe to get them in season 40

2 does make the most sense, thanks.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's hard to see how it happens next week unless someone blows up their game. 8 players left means you need 4 votes + Karishma for a majority. Vote out Karishma next, and you just need 4 votes to have a majority at 7. She's useless as a number next week.
Yes I guess I'm just down on this whole season, feel like Production has been far too involved - except in the situation where they should have become more involved.
Karishma's knack for having more lives than the proverbial cat is one of the few redeeming character arcs.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AWarmBody posted:

I made the mistake of wandering into Reddit and I'm not sure why r/survivor is on love with Karishma. She is so lazy and complains constantly. Missy was certainly a dick to her, but that sympathy does not erase my opinion of her.

Is anyone in this thread in love with Karishma.. ? Can someone help explain the karishma-love on this cool and good forum?
It's usually fun to root for the underdog.

According to Noura everyone is lazy except Noura and her commandment, "when you go for a walk or to get water you better come back with coconuts". The whole merged tribe is lazy; their shelter is not great and they're lucky the weather isn't bad. They have chairs and hammock but the shelter is just a debris lean-to without a floor.

After so many woman have gone home with idols in their pocket (supposedly good, experienced players, like Andrea Boehlke, and more recently Wentworth & Aubry Bracco) it was great to watch one play it correctly. Also I think Karishma playing her idol spooked Lauren into wasting her own idol.

Creepy Dan: "We can't allow Karishma to go any further in the game". His shocked expression at TC was great payoff for that hubris.

It's not easy to keep going while being ostracized and bullied. And it is not weakness to exhibit strong emotions and talk through them in public. Also I enjoyed Karishma try to call out players for the bullshit of claiming to be "loyal" when everyone knows loyalty is a transitory luxury because at some point you have to cut your allies in order to win.

edit: also let's say goodbye to Olympian Elizabeth. Maybe it's the Olympics "win at all costs" attitude but from her backstabbing Kelley over 'the Dan situation' to stealing Karishma's personal bag to search it for a HII, she showed terrible sportsmanship and just sort of casual evil tactics.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 30, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Karishma had a pretty good story arc, and I'm glad she's out of Noura's toxic range. Hope she unwinds at Ponderosa with a pitcher of mimosas.

Khanstant posted:

What was Dean's motivation? Racing for fifth place or something?

Is this just what kind of poo poo goes down when everyone good at the game or with an obvious chance to win is systematically targeted from day 1?

I think it happens more often on Big Brother but...yeah.

SalTheBard posted:

Ok I'm off of Team Noura.
So entertaining though.
I hope she wins next immunity challenge so the remaining goats players have to scramble.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 5, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Along with all the other bizarre choices being made, I see no reason to keep Sandra and Rob hidden at TC. All the players must know by now that they're at IOI.

And they had the perfect opportunity when Jeff lost control of the TC, for Boston Rob to step out of the isolation booth and tell everyone to sit back down and "smarten up".

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd like to apologize to Noura, an endless source of joy who I want to win and stay on the island for S41.
A Noura immunity run to the F4 could only help this season. Then a F3 of Noura, Dean and Dan and the entire jury only asks one question of the remaining players, "Based only on gameplay, why should we vote for you to win one million dollars?"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 5, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

It's heavily implied that players are forbidden from telling anyone not in the know about Rob and Sandra, so I really do believe the players who haven't been there still don't know.
It's even more heavily implied that Noura can't keep a secret.
And if I'm in an alliance with someone, they go to IOI and won't say what happened there, I'm not really in an alliance with them.
So there's that.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Seems to mainly just be Dean unless I'm missing something? He clearly just works out to look good but doesn't actually do endurance or functional training.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216246/
On the cast page Dean says basketball is one of his hobbies. Maybe he means as a spectator.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Last season it was the Warthog who looks liked he worked out, but sucked at every challenge.

freeman posted:

I think it's just a budget reason. Endurance challenges are way cheaper.

Used their budget for Sandra, Rob, the other big heads, and their big unused shelter.

Also the standing in one spot challenges allow for more of Jeff's commentary, and for contestants to talk to him and each other.

Did anyone transcribe Noura's rant about her alliance? At one point she blurted out the following insight into her personal life:
"I take people to insane levels. I literally uplift someone to a point where he's rockin' and goes back to his ex and I'm disposed of even though I break up with him".
But the best was Noura channelling Dr. Manhattan with,
"I'm gonna fast forward to the future then go back and finish up"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Elaine told Jeff she's never lucky.

Spergatory posted:

Dumbass Dean is the winner this season deserves.

Dean is going to dumb luck his way to F3.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

whoscookinbacon posted:

Hey, remember when Jamal went to the Island of Idols? He had found a clue hidden in plain sight and was whisked away to Rob and Sandra's camp. There, he was
chastised for expecting "something for nothing" and was only given a piece of paper and a pen to do as he wished. He made a fake legacy advantage and pinned it on Dean, and was voted out the next tribal.

Dean, a few episodes later, gets his name picked out of a hat and is similarly summoned to Rob and Sandra, where he wins a coin flip to receive an idol nulifier. (Yeah, he risked his vote... in a tribal where Elaine lost 5-2.) So not only a dumb twist as you correctly called it, for more or less....something for nothing.

I had the same realization, "Hey Rob previously said on Survivor you don't get something for nothing and then he gave Dean something for nothing" where the reward far outweighed the risk.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

In order, who I think they'd bring back. I'm omitting Kellie because I don't think she'd ever do it.

1. Elaine - obvious
2. Noura - extremely good TV and shakes up the game
3. Jamal - shines at Tribals, honestly. Just a good, smart dude
4. Karishma - she's a total eeyore but they'll chase a redemption story with her
5. Missy - they like aggressive players, even if they're too aggressive. I also think she's someone who would be much better with a little more life experience.
In the event there are more season after 40,
Bring back Elaine with Lauren Rimmer et al and do Rednecks V City Slickers.

Karishma's not coming back but her and her husband should do Amazing Race and have some fun together.

The finale is being taped a few hours before airing. So the winner will be known before the show is on, which seems like one more production problem for this trouble plagued season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

Ron and Sandra have been super wasted, I mean wasn't the last thing literally jut a coin flip? There has to be a better way to include them

Who's Ron?
I think they both wanted more $$$ to participate in S40, and this was a way the producers could pay them without the rest of the S40 cast complaining or also negotiating (eg, "If Rob is getting more than standard rate for a Winner's Season, then so should my client ______". )
But they couldn't have Sandra and Rob influence the game or help individual players too much, so made them the method in which IOI rewards were handed out.

And yes they should have been included more; one more production error was the decision to pretend to keep them secret for the entire game instead of announcing them to the players right from the start. Or at the merge.
All for the useless and repetitive reaction shots of each new player arriving at the IOI beach.

STAC Goat posted:

Someone's gonna write a book on whatever the gently caress was wrong with the Survivor 39 cast.

It will be titled "We Really Should Have Slept On 39."
If Dan had been given a real warning on Day 1 (or booted) when Kellee first complained about him, a lot of the problems could have been avoided.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Welp, at least now there's an unequivocal "worst season ever" of this show.

Survivor should just lean into the Sia type awards for more of the cast, eg

"Karishma, you've also won! .... dinner for 2 at the nearest Applebee's restaurant. And Noura, you've got a special invitation to join a free session at the Vytas Baskauskas Yoga Studio! And Kellee...to make it up to you, and demonstrate what CBS has learned from this and other incidents - we're inviting you to be on the next season of Love Island, where each week you can choose who will fake friend you, and who will inappropriately grope you. Don't mean to put you on the spot again in front of millions of viewers but tell us how great this is going to be for you! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't think an arranged marriage is forced; it's more like the parents playing matchmaker. Still up to the 2 people to mutually agree. And considering the divorce rate is already around 40%, it seems as valid as other set ups, like online dating / relationship sites.

Next level strategy: Rob and Amber should start out gunning for Sia money. "Ah shucks I'm just a busted can of vegan Boston baked beans with 4 young girls to feed".

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 19, 2019