Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SalTheBard posted:

Thats what I thought too, but then I saw this:

and then was confused
I recognize at least a few of the quotes from their preseason RHAP interviews, but yeah I'd always thought they were made up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

first impressions:

Dan seemed self-important and full of poo poo. "Just making the merge is winning to me," "To me making the final 3 would be winning," "Getting to the family visit would be a win." gently caress off!

Lauren has the over-the-top energy of a Disney sitcom character and is giving me potential Big Wendy but less crazy vibes.

Elaine might be pretty iconic

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

"I got to make fire against Boston Rob" might be worth losing a vote on the first tribal, especially when you aren't a likely target
It's hilarious how he just mercilessly beat the poo poo out of her. Which, like, yeah of course.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rob and Sandra creeping on the TC

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If Elaine or Vince go home these people dropped the ball because clearly that's not the first choice of most of these people. Having the old hockey guy should cinch it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I didn't mind Ronnie in the preseason coverage but Elaine caught into him immediately and he definitely was out numbered. Only way he could have survived is if a bunch of scared people voted against their preferences.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Cute gif of molly stolen from reddit

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Victorkm posted:

I like the schlubby cast this season. After the last season of Big Brother, I don't think its really fair to the schlubby or minority contestants when you outnumber them with hot folks.
Yeah I think the innate biases and assumptions were a key part of the first episode too. Ronnie and his jock buddy Aaron were basically like, okay, we could just vote out the short Asian guy, but should we push it a bit and try to get out the more popular chubby older woman instead? They were just taking for granted that it'd be one of those people, and that it was only a question of which one. At least that's how it came off to me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

DONT FORGET TO HAGGLE apparently
Rob was pretty quick to throw out a better offer when she dragged her feet.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lmao if they boot sweet Molly over this raving weirdo. Is "Kill All Normies" good strategy? Hell maybe

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They must have made that threesome insanely obvious so they deserve what they get. Still fairly wild though and sorry to see Molly go

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like, Noura sucks but it wasn't her that got the vote flipped, it was the middle of the tribe who wanted to take over because they didn't like how obviously those other 3 were sitting on top. I do think there were some insecurities involved in targeting Molly, some of the things they said about her being Parv etc were... curious. But big move by Lauren for setting up this flip and putting her faction in power.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Her take was this:

curiousCat posted:

It feels dumb though. If everyone knows that 3 people are in control, then... they're not! You can dump two outsiders and still have 5-3!
It's a good point... The move wasn't really necessary. I don't know if they were really just that afraid of Molly, or just that eager to make a move, but it does leave their tribe a bit more openly fractured than it otherwise would've been and leaves an obnoxious weirdo around too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Even worse than actually roughing the conditions must be the boredom. I hope they're given magazines or ipads or something out there.
Yeah. If everyone insists they're living on that beach then I'll believe it. I can imagine Boston Rob and Sandra after all their time on Survivor don't mind roughing it.

But they gotta have portable DVD players, nintendos, and books and stuff. They have to

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

Man I'm curious what the counteroffer was gonna be
That offer he took severely sucked! "If you get caught, you lose your vote." Yeah, and you also get caught! The entire other tribe knows you as the sneak that came crawling into their camp to steal stuff. And a fast expiring idol is really pretty weak in general in my opinion. If you do go for it and win, just come back, tell the tribe everything that happened, and then play it immediately, especially if they all already know you just went to something called the "Island of the Idols"! At least then having something you play signals your hands are now clean.

I liked Vince. Karishma is severely insecure, although no one seeing her over to medical when she cut her hand was rough. I can't believe Karishma dissed her own girls alliance in Tribal. :lol:

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 10, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That's really not a bad cover story. And it's ironic that he felt more comfortable with the women's alliance than Karishma seemingly did.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SlipkPIe posted:

I really think the best strategy is to just come back and say, yeah, you can get an idol on the island, I got one, I'm playing it tonight, the end. No one is going to believe whatever bullshit you come up with anyway
What if you don't get one though? :eek:

Anyway yeah apparently Vince felt there could be an incoming swap before the next vote and that the idol would be very useful in that situation. He thought he was firmly with the women and thus safe. Oops

mancalamania posted:

Just speculation on my part but I suspect Karishma was just conferring with the Lairo women to make sure they all thought Vince wasn't playing the idol. If Vince was going to play it, Karishma knows her neck is on the line (and presumably the Lairo women reassured her that she'd be fine and Vince wasn't playing anything), so it makes sense she'd want to check in to make sure none of that had updated info and/or a different read on Vince since before Tribal.
Seems like a good way to spook him into playing the idol, going around whispering to people

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

curiousCat posted:

Karishma and Noura both made the swap lol
Feels like we’re in prime over-playing season.

I really didn’t like the Chelsea boot. I wasn’t really a Chelsea fan but strategically, you think you’re going into a swap and you’re going to leave the player weeping about being on the bottom and piss another guy off instead of just taking the clean boot? What I really don’t understand also is how after the Dean vote gets shut down, Missy didn’t take a hint, said how about Chelsea instead, and then that somehow goes through?? I don’t get how they made that happen.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Chelsea was in cahoots with a Boy, but people didn't want to get rid of muscle and camp helpers yet, so they went after her to break up their budding couplliance.
I thought one of Aaron’s selling points for the Dean boot was that he wasn’t showing anything in challenges, and Chelsea made the fire!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Noura saga was the funniest thing in years and I want her voted off quickly because I cannot imagine anything will top that. Congratulations. You won the meta game of great TV!

Karishma sucks.
That was hilarious, and even better that they didn’t show us any of the planning. Just hit us with it like they did with Noura. Ironically there’s a good chance it saved Noura too while the vote blocker she was trying to win wouldn’t have.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

I *do* still think it's weird Elaine/Elizabeth refused Dean but caved for Chelsea.
I’m gathering that this might have all come down to timing. Since the Dean move got shut down, they countered with Chelsea, and it was just close enough to Tribal that people didn’t have time to really respond to it and then all just ended up going along at Tribal. If Chelsea had been proposed as a boot first maybe the target would’ve been on Dean when the buzzer sounded instead.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha it's not a service to scoop up the hot toy and hold it for ransom

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sand Monster posted:

The always successful and well reasoned strategy of reducing your chances of winning tribal immunity by playing the post-merge game before the merge and dragging along a huge challenge anchor.
I actually thought this was one of the most logical votes a tribe has made all game. The Vokai people on that tribe are playing the standard game of keeping their original tribe strong. Tom was the most in with the other tribe, so he went out. The two that stayed may join these folks if they need some extra votes later on, but the majority on this vote don’t consider challenge strength a priority because they have safe control of the numbers (and their friends are locked in a 4-4 tie over on the other side).

Now, what I think is going to be interesting here is the new thing Aaron and Missy are working on over at the other tribe. After idiotically blindsiding Dean and then expecting his gratitude, they turned what would have been a functional tribe into a mess going into the swap. They got exceedingly fortunate to draw even numbers in their swap tribe and did so without landing either Dean or Karishma. A miracle! And yet they’re still preparing to flip.

I think that’s actually the right call and one that could set a lot of the tone for what happens going forward. The truth is they already blew up their original tribe and it’s good they recognize it, because not only were they 2 down in the numbers, they were 4 down when you count the people they left primed to flip (and 3 down even if Noura finally gets picked off). It’s not a salvageable position even if they won out in the 4-4 stalemate, and they’d be among the first targets right afterward.

Elaine knows they’re sketchy from last vote. Will she realize she can’t trust them? Can Aaron and Missy build something new that can protect them at merge? If so, could Vokai end up splitting into two factions somewhere down the line?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 24, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think this was Karishma's best episode to date. She was a little less mopey and a lot more proactive. Maybe she's going to rebound and become something more than a goat!

Kellee looks like she's in a very pretty position.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Looks like Australian Survivor is going to be running an All Stars season in early 2020... Gonna be a whole lot of Survivor early in 2020!

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/reality-tv/survivor/survivor-australia-all-stars-contestants-2020-59684
This is going to be a must-watch based on the great pool of players they have for an all-stars

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It’s no fair to have sand speedily streaming from a jar while you’re still getting around to explaining the offer, and to then get on Elaine for agreeing before she heard the whole thing!

Last week I posted that I liked Aaron and Missy realizing Lairo was toast and jumping, so I’m not sure how I feel on them jumping back. The further behind Lairo is come merge, the less pressing it is for Vokai to vote one of you out, and the better chance you have to avoid being the merge boot. Plus, you’re in good with some people and can maybe hang in there until the game opens up. It’s still not a great position to be in, but I think it’s better than being the front runner for the merge boot spot.

This is where last week’s decision to vote out Tom pays dividends, though. Even if Lairo uses their new control to claw back some numbers, pulling Dean back in is not guaranteed, and Karishma probably I s a long shot. I wonder if Missy still thinks Karishma is her extra vote.

IcePhoenix posted:

Aaron is out after the merge as soon as one side decides they have the numbers to cut him anyway. Elaine will probably get the Christian treatment once they get to 7 or 8 remaining.

I actually had Jason pegged to go pretty far so him being the boot surprised me.
I’m right there with you but that does make Jason a pretty good pick for the target.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah but it’s like, “wow such a rash decision, I hadn’t even explained the task yet.” THE SAND WAS GUSHING OUT OF THE BOTTLE DUDE, I think Rob would have barely had time to finish introducing the task, there was definitely no time for questions or negotiation, I don’t fault Elaine at all. The hourglass changes everything! What do they expect!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 31, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Also haha Elaine constantly referring to her power as a "Block the vote" and confusing everyone because it sounds like she's saying the whole Tribal Council is going to be called off or something

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Vernacular posted:

I think at this point in Survivor lore, where players are aware of the broad range of possible advantages that might come from an Island of the Idols/Ghost Island/Exile Island etc. type of place, the Vokai should've had a contingency plan in place to mitigate the effects of what was really a fairly unsurprising turn of events. Like it would've been an easy fix: "if an advantage shifts the vote away from a tie, we go back to plan B and not make a fuss about it during TC".

ApplesandOranges posted:

The vote block has only appeared once before and the vote steal only twice, so it's not surprising that it might not have occurred to them.
Yeah, I heard Jason in his exit interview with Rob and he was pretty good, but he did say something along the lines of there was no way to predict a vote blocker.

That said, vote blocks or vote steals are out there these days, and extra votes are passed out like candy. Any of those things would break the tie and one of those being in the game really shouldn't be that shocking. They could have had a contingency for that.

I do understand their thinking in shifting the target to Aaron but it was risky as well, but even if it had worked, they'd have been voting out a potential ally... maybe nobody was really that warm on him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't know, I'd be mad if s gimmick I had no idea existed was the reason I went home. I'd still understand it's Survivor, but it wouldn't be a happy feeling.
That’s how I might feel about something like the idol nullifier, but extra votes have been around since Cambodia. That was 31 and this is 39.

As far as them acting cocky and overconfident though, that’s part of the game plan when you’re going into a potential rocks situation. If they know you won’t flip, then they know they’ll have to if they want to avoid rocks. And they did do a good job having a unified tribe, and the other side did a really bad job at that.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Although I guess the main argument I've heard/read is that all the whispering scrambling chaos might have spooked Aaron into changing his vote. So if they had just had a simplified plan and didn't panic maybe he would have flipped? But that seems like a complete unknown until Aaron gets out and tells us something.
Yeah, that’s kind of where I’m coming at it from. If the plan was Elaine, her vote blocker changes nothing, and yet they’re all jumping up whispering to one another which communicates to Aaron, hey, maybe it wasn’t going to be Elaine, maybe I was getting played, and maybe I should just take the easy vote and stay with my people.

I figure it’s more likely he already had his mind made up, but that situation seems at least possible, and I feel like at some point they have to have discussed the possibility of one of the ioi people potentially having an extra vote.

Also, I don’t like all the extra advantages either, but then this being the best ep so far probably encourages the producers on this kind of thing, and I bet they don’t notice all the good stuff that DOESN’T happen because of the twists.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's Ghost Island with jokes and no dud weeks. The advantages mercifully expire before they can build to a poo poo show with 5/6 of the cast immune.
Although that just means there's more moving pieces for viewers to keep track of. And I think they dropped that little text display they introduced last season that would tell you what people had.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

lol it was pretty great. He came in hot

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

Whew

Is Kellee going to try to pin the second vote on Karishma?
Noura sure can’t keep a secret, so Kellee needs to admit to talking to Noura about contingencies, but still pretend she had no idea about Dean’s idol. She can say Jamal had the same read when he idoled Noura. It’s a very bad spot for Kellee to be in, though. It reveals she put Noura ahead of Jack, and people may believe she did know about Dean. Maybe she should just fess up? I think her stock is dropping. Great episode though.

What was Jamal planning on happening if Noura had been Dean’s vote? Well, Karishma for sure, but boy that was a risky play.

I’m sure some viewers will say it’s getting too preachy with the back-to-back issue episodes but if that’s when those conversations happened, that’s just the way it goes. It was a good conversation that I’ve definitely seen play out online a few times.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 7, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

man this plan had so many moving parts and relied on noura being able to keep her mouth shut and I'm shocked it worked

Noura and Dean even credibly fake-fought at tribal and convinced the rest of the tribe they were at odds! Noura!

And I'm not even sure Kellee is better off than she was before!
I’m not sure Noura and Dean knew they were voting the same way.

Kellee using Noura as insurance in case Dean betrayed her with her idol was probably an overplay. I would feel better about her if only Dean was part of what just happened.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dean could be a cool secret ally for her if nobody suspected her. Eliminating Jack right before merge could also have been like Domenick throwing to take out Bradley.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think this was actually a good move for Kellee? Dean probably feels some sort of loyalty to her now (and really, he's got nobody else to lean on at the moment). She can cover her tracks. And I think she has enough people backing her that even the NOTS bringing up her name isn't making me scared of her.
Kellee removed someone who had a lot of connections and replaced him with somebody that's most loyal to her. That's good. And Dean isn't really fond of his old tribe, so it would seem she has him wrapped up pretty tight.

But I don't think she can cover her tracks. If Noura is asked something straight up, she does not lie. She didn't lie about targeting Jamal, she didn't lie about floating a woman's alliance. Can she start by denying she voted Jack when Jamal (who just idoled her) asks? Can she leave Kellee out of her story?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Karishma did okay in the challenge this episode, but at the very end, when there was just that final piece, she scrambled out of the way to let Jamal do it. He ended up needing a second person to pick up the other side of that piece so it could be dropped straight down into the opening. They could’ve won! Also funny was Elaine on the other side seeing the obviously wrong pieces and the people sitting out with a nice view screaming her down aggressively.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck posted:

But I don't think she can cover her tracks. If Noura is asked something straight up, she does not lie. She didn't lie about targeting Jamal, she didn't lie about floating a woman's alliance. Can she start by denying she voted Jack when Jamal (who just idoled her) asks? Can she leave Kellee out of her story?
Took less than one minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Why the hell is Tommy talking about going with new Vokai? He was one challenge tile away from going home.

And Dan scoffing at working with Jamal... Wow, old Vokai is way less united than I was imagining.