Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's America's greatest city.

This is true.

quote:

Also it's the best city for breakfast bar none.

I've had a lot of great breakfasts at places like Sabrina's and Honey's and N 3rd. I miss a lot of the food in that city. I haven't lived there in a decade though so I'm sure there are tons of newer places I'm unfamiliar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

One evening when I lived at 21st and Sansom, I heard a police siren and roaring engines getting louder rapidly. A few seconds later and a police car chasing another car at high speed down Sansom St blasted past my place, I heard screeching tires, a series of gunshots, and then silence. And then the city LIT UP with police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, helicopters... I swear 98% of Philadelphia's police force rushed to pack in outside of my apartment. What had happened was a guy was driving down Sansom in a stolen car, shot into another car at 17th, and took off. There was an officer in his car right there so he started chasing. The other guy ditched the car at 22nd and Sansom, fired a bunch of shots into the cop car, hit the officer in the shoulder, and took off running. As approximately 517,000 other police officers suddenly flooded the area, he got sandwiched on both sides while trying to run over the Walnut St bridge and decided to jump into the Schuylkill. They thought he swam away and escaped but it turned out he got knocked out when he hit the water and, uh, being face-down unconscious in the water for a very long time until you're found means the outcome was grim.

But here's a shot I took of a helicopter scanning the banks looking for him trying to climb out somewhere

I had only lived in Philadelphia for a few months (2006, maybe?) after finally moving out of a small, rural north central Wisconsin town. That sort of eventful night wasn't something I'd have ever guessed I'd experience before then. Anyway, I still miss that city a lot.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

TOASTER WAS INNOCENT

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Cyberpope v2 posted:

I spent a few hours in philly's airport and it was a better experience than all the time i spent in airports in new york, so good job philly even if its laid out by dickheads.

PHL is the only airport I've been yelled at by a stranger for simply being there. Not a time I was in someone's way, holding up a line, walking too slowly... I was sitting in a chair waiting for a flight and a woman walking by yelled at me because she didn't like me being there.

Like there's nothing I could have done apart from not being born in the first place. I may have some anger issues but Philly has some ANGER issues.

e: But I also love that city and don't you dare speak ill of it. Hey by the way anyone else totally not missing PYT ever since ever (asks the grandpa man referencing things from many moons ago)?

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 4, 2020

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Man. Nodding Head has been gone for years. I remember they had this ridiculous 12% monster IPA called Hoptimus Prime that kind of tasted like teriyaki. Good times there, though.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

ey check out this jabroni not liking philly lol

e: story

When I first moved there in 2006, I would walk around my neighborhood to try to learn what was around me in the city. I lived at 21st and Sansom and was walking through Rittenhouse and south out of it onto 19th. Behind me, I heard screeching tires and police sirens. Seconds later, a car came screaming around the corner behind me, racing down 19th with a cop car right on his tail. There was a red traffic light ahead so he *pulled onto the gd sidewalk* to bypass the stopped cars at the intersection. A guy in front of me did a full-on action movie dive jump out of the way and faceplanted onto the sidewalk off to the side as the car rocketed past down the sidewalk. He was ALMOST hit. Milliseconds away. Dude just got up fully belly laughing about it. I asked if he was ok and he was. He could barely tell me he was ok through his laughter. The cop car scooted around the traffic in the intersection and continued the chase.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 6, 2020

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Philadelphia owns if only because of Toynbee tiles

RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPiTER

I found a freshly planted one one evening just off of E Girard and it was rad

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Philadelphia is an incredible city to be 20 in, an ok city to be 30 in, and a very terrible city to be 40+ in

Living in my 20s in Philadelphia was easily one of the greatest periods of my entire life.

Until I got a gun to my head. Then I left.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare:

I'd love to hear this full story, if you're up for sharing. All good if you're not of course.

I've posted about it here way too many times but

I lived at 5th and Spring garden in the "upcoming" Northern Liberties neighborhood. I walked out one night to get some things from the CVS around the corner, turned around, and a .38 revolver was being held against my head. What SEVERELY did not help the situation was the fact that the reason I turned around to head back was because I realized I had left my wallet back home. This guy was screaming at me and running his hands up and down my body because he didn't believe that I didn't have any money to give him. He ended up taking my keys and phone and told me to go running in one direction as he ran in the opposite direction.

Back then, the ZIP code I lived in gave you a 1 in 10 chance of being the victim of a violent crime PER YEAR. Not overall. PER YEAR. Because of that, cops in plain clothes and plain vehicles would park around my neighborhood at night and just sit and listen and watch for activity. One was just feet away from where I was robbed. He saw this guy run past his car, throw objects into the trunk of the car, and then they burned rubber peeling out to get away. He thought that was suspicious and followed them. A minute later, I found a couple on a nearby sidewalk and used their phone to dial 911. Maybe 4 minutes later, a cop car picked me up at that corner and drove me just a few blocks away where the other officer who had heard the call, pulled them over, and had them all handcuffed and face down in the street. The guy who robbed me was 20 years old and it was already his third felony conviction. The judge told him "You're going to become an old man in a cage" at the court hearing because PA is a three-strikes state. And the gun he used had the serial# scratched off which was a mandatory 7 years on top of the 3-strikes felony conviction.

The next morning, my fiance showed me a positive pregnancy test. We were done with Philly, in that moment. A few months later and we had both packed up and moved to Portland.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

DC sucks ball-rear end compared to Philadelphia. Why would anyone make that comparison unless they're fans of ball-rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Stolen from someone else. From downtown facing into South Philly. I used to live in Center City just off the lower right side of this photo. I worked at 1818 Market which is the building in the bottom center here. Good nostalgia vibes for me. :unsmith: