Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I keep watching this show because it really feels like always gets so close but never follows through. The pacing of this season is also all over the place and things don’t coalesce elegantly.

Ogres randomly come back to take Elfo, Dagmire is back and I guess in league with Hell, Dreamland was built on Elvish land, Zog is insane, there’s the while curse, Odval is STILL scheming despite 15 opportunities to take over, and then there’s Alva with his agenda involving Steamland and Dreamland uniting that’s whole lot of poo poo cover in 10 episodes, and it rarely progresses in an elegant or satisfying fashion.

Elfo also doesn’t quite work as a main character when you have a series trying for character development. While the jokes aren’t particularly multilayered or impactful, I enjoy the main trio being catty assholes to each other, and especially Elfo as the whipping boy of the group. But that only holds up for so long, and they aren’t really taking him in any particularly good direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, my niece was watching some cartoon about talking cars, and one of the villains is the same voice actor as Elfo pretty much doing the Elfo voice, and it is incredibly jarring.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Boy, that mora plot sure did suck a ton for a plot that did not need to suck that much.
In a vacuum I liked it, but again the pacing issues make it weird, because it’s entirely self-contained in one episode using a bit character we just met like one episode prior. There’s no build-up, and it’s never really mentioned again barring Bean getting over it in a single getting high montage. I cannot stress how much this show needs to learn to kill its darlings. It feels like the writers are used to plotting for 26 episodes when they actually have less than half that.

Same can be said for Elfo literally one episode before that, with characters falling in love after maybe ten minutes of dialogue. The emotional payoff doesn’t work.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

Later, Bean is trying to find who assassinated Pendergast. We see that Pendergast has been beheaded, but he's apparently also been shot, and for some reason this gunshot wound leads the main cast to believe that "whoever has a gun" is the person who killed Pendergast. Firstly, the death itself was confusing... I guess we're supposed to assume that he was shot and then beheaded? Why shoot someone you're planning to behead? How do you secretly assassinate someone, and then LATER behead them and display their head on a pike? Later we found out the Druidess did it, but she's essentially running the kingdom, so why would she need to assassinate someone at all? The ruling class in this show has people executed people all of the time... it happens multiple times per episode.
Pendergast was trying to help Zog escape, and presumably the Archdruidess caught him and shot him. Obviously a gun shot wound narrows down the list of suspects, so he was beheaded as misdirection.

This, of course, does nothing to explain her motivations for...everything else. You assume she blew off her mission from Gunderson when the opportunity to rule a kingdom presented itself, but then she hints that Gunderson is up to something? And then it throws that out the window the green smoke non-event that eats up a few episodes, and....then goes back to Dragmire.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lister posted:

I still can't reason why Odval saved Bean from getting shot by the Arch Druidess. I guess that wasn't supposed to be a part of their plan? Was it a part of the Steamland plan? If so, then why would she try and kill Bean when getting Bean to agree to an alliance seemed to be what she was hired for? Was the idea to manipulate Odval into seizing power to prevent whatever curse there is while also using that power to get the young prince to agree to a Steamland alliance eventually?
Odval didn’t want to kill Zog for religious reasons, but this is undermined by Odval being established as a hypocrite issuing religious decrees against sexual activities while partaking in weekly orgies. This is further expounded by him intentionally driving Zog mad, but making absolutely no play for the throne. I expected the rule forbidding women rulers would be brought up, and Odval would shut down Zog’s declaration for Bean to succeed him by simply saying the king is mad and his words are null and void. But he just lets her take the throne without any resistance.

I wonder if Dagmar being the one who sold Bean the puppet will actually get brought up. That was yet another seemingly pointless plot dead end.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Zog insanity arc has parts that could have been touching, but it both lasts too long and the writers thought it just never stopped being hilarious to have him honking. And then the puppet thing, which was utterly pointless since you expected weird horror poo poo from Dragmire but uhhhhhh nope goes nowhere. And then Dragmire just randomly shows up during the ogre battle.

It is just so everywhere.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

Until this post I assumed elves came from mushrooms.
You’re thinking orks :orks:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only good joke was the bit with the executioner.

Also, weirdly spoils poo poo like Zog escaping the asylum.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well it’s getting another (final) season in September. Only hope I can have is that it has to be more focused and can’t introduce another handful of superfluous characters and sideplots since it has to actually tie up everything.

We’ll see!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s not a good sign that I took a break after watching three episodes, and realized I had actually just finished episode two.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It wraps things up okay, but it only does so by making most of its mystery boxes completely empty.

Steamland also felt like a massive waste of time. It was ultimately just a place for characters to gently caress off to when they need them away from Dreamland for a few episodes.

It kinda sums up the series as whole when we get an entire episode dedicated to Bean making peace with the fact she has to not merely kill Dagmar but wipe her from existence entirely. This is followed up in finale with Bean stating that she needs to destroy all magic to accomplish. Then… that doesn’t happen

Now in a better-written show, we may get Bean understanding that magic isn’t bad and she’s just grieving and grasping at straws. And then she finds some alternative option at the 11th hour to kill Dagmar and prevent resurrection bullshit. Could have had God’s death prevented anyone from ascending, and Satan being pissed off at her kept her out of Hell, so she just ceases to be. Not necessarily great, but it’s what I have to work with.

Instead, Dagmar is just killed and Bean fucks off. Nothing about destroying magic, no concern that Dagmar will find a way back. That’s it. You might think that duh, the episode is only halfway done, but instead it’s all epilogue and Dagmar is handling by Satan just putting her in a cage over the cliff of Dreamland as if we hadn’t seen characters survive the fall multiple times throughout the series.

I don’t think more episodes would have helped either. This season is like half keeping a body hidden (and failing) and half loving around in places that aren’t Dreamland. It has the same problem focusing as it did every other season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alva was a nice contrast to Dagmar, being an outwardly nice person who is not even subtly creepy and self-serving. I imagine they had something planned for him, but dropped it for an utterly pointless rocket that served as one final mystery before becoming yet another absolute nothing. Can’t think of a more fitting way to end the show!