Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

What is this game?

This game is based off of the Disney movie of the same name that is, in my opinion, extremely underrated. The game specifically is styled after the TV show portrayed in the movie, although it's not following the same plot as that TV show (which is a shame because I'd have loved Penny's character model to MOVIE SPOILER change when the actress changed). The episodic nature of the show that means that of course Calico cannot ever be captured permanently is portrayed well here, we get an arc of the show displayed from starting to figure out Calico's current plan and working towards foiling it, so the game is a satisfying self-contained narrative without breaking the convention of the unending TV show.

Why am I playing it?

Bolt's powers are really satisfying to use and the game has excellent level variety - there are a lot of levels that when they happened I was like "WHAT! This is amazing!" and I want to show that off to all of you! There are also many references to the movie that I found quite charming, and the writing is fun and inventive, with strong characterisation of the main characters and even attempts to humanise them later on even if some of them fall flat.

Format

I will do one level per video with a few exceptions: 1) if a level is particularly short it will be paired with another, and 2) the first video will be two levels to show off the playstyles of both characters and show off the pretty funny writing in the cutscenes.

Videos:

Levels 1 and 2: Party Crashers and Bite Night
Level 3: 1000 Mega Bites
Level 4: Raisin A Ruckus
Level 5: Into the Depths
Level 6: Taking out the Trash
Level 7: Chew Chew Train
Level 8: Slobber and Clobber
Level 9: Hide and Sneak
Level 10: That Darn Dog
Level 11: No Barking Zone
Level 12: A Penny Saved
Level 13: Base Thumpin
Level 14 and 15: Doggie Demolition and Pup, Pup and Away!
Level 16: Barging In
Level 17: Belly up
Levels 18 and 19: Pound for Pound and Fetchin' Train
Level 20: Ruffin It
Level 21: Time to Flea
Level 22-24: Bouncing Back, Bridging the Gap Parts 1& 2
Level 25-26: Calico and Final Gauntlet

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This looks interesting! Have you tried messing with the audio much? Your voiceover is a bit hot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Suspect Bucket posted:

This looks interesting! Have you tried messing with the audio much? Your voiceover is a bit hot.

I'm gonna drop the game audio so I don't have to have my own audio too high, then boost the cutscene volume, then I'll reupload.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Here's the new version of the first video, is this better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02ONNvW5Jg

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 3: 1000 Mega Bites

Video 2, and yes, all Bolt levels have names that are puns based on dogs. Also we get some new abilities that make fighting more varied and thoughtful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 4: Raisin A Ruckus

Here we have the next Penny level. I like how this and the prior level happen in concert. Also we see a new mechanic for Penny! A fun one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I know it's been a while since I last updated, but it's because my life has got really tiring and busy what with jobseeking and also being stuck working 11 hour shifts 5 days a week in a literal fridge as a temp until interviews happen. Happily I have an interview on tuesday that I'm hopeful for and after that I may no longer be too tired to record if the job happens. I've still been playing games, I'm just not in the right kind of mood to perform while doing it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just thought I'd let you know I finally recorded level 5, so it'll be up later this weekend once I've talked over it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 5: Into the Depths

Finally, the next level is up. Sorry it took so long to update, life got in the way. It's still poo poo but hopefully the new year will see better luck.

I like this level, it's an enemy gauntlet but it has some fun rooms and some neat collectibles. The destructible environment is neat here too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 6: Taking out the Trash

Sorry if the microphone quality is a bit weird, I had to use a different headset as my old one broke and the new one has a built in microphone cover. Here's an interesting level though, directly the opposite of the prior one. If I need to I can rebalance the audio to make myself louder.

I think part of the weird audio is that I may not have needed to denoise with the new microphone, so it may have just broken the bass of the vocal track.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 21, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 7: Chew Chew Train

A cute name for an annoying level. If the Disky wasn't constantly bothering you it wouldn't be so bad, and they aren't so bad when they become regular enemies, it's just while he's out of reach he's really annoying. however, this is where the game starts getting tricky, and the next few levels have some fights that can get pretty hairy if you don't know how to deal with the enemies.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the game so far? We are into Act 2 of the game as of this level, Russia. The mansion/temple are put as basically an intro, they are grouped as Act 1.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
It looks like a fun game to play, but I can also see why it wasn't popular outside of Bolt fans and/or casual gamers; Penny's half of the game feels like a very stripped down version of a stealth game (everything outside of the puzzle solving looks fairly context-based) and Bolt's half a stripped down spectacle fighter (but as a Musou fan it definitely appeals to me). The fact that the game-makers decided to go with an original-ish story using the movie's show-within-a-show as a premise instead of just rehashing the movie's plot is definitely bonus points in my eyes and the plot, though simple, has its charms as well.

What console was this game for?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was on PS2 and Xbox360 at least, probably wii and ps3 as well but not sure. The fights get more interesting from level 8 onwards, since the disky stops being a dick and becomes a normal enemy type, making him less frustrating.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This kinda feels like a low-rent Spy Fiction. Which was a low-rent Metal Gear. I do rather like the environmental damage though, especially for a Disney game :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the goofy writing, like Calico's taunt at the end of the temple: "Find a Penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck! :smug:" It's a cute line.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just an update, I've been meaning to record the next part for a while but the job hunt is still underway and I've been stuck working at the local tip for the last few weeks so my everything is tired. An update should be coming soon, but my hands are really aching right now. Hopefully I'll have some good news later today.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 8: Slobber and Clobber

Here is the next video, figured I'd get some done during the isolation period. I like this area and the way the levels are structured, as we will discuss as the area progresses. As it is this is a strong introduction to the place, gradually revealing what we are actually approaching.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 9: Hide and Sneak

I decided I'd try to make a few videos due to not much else to do and leaving this thread hanging for so long, so here's another level. I really like this level for it's camera work, it does a great job making the Dam feel really big.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 10: That Darn Dog

Here's the next Dam video, I like this level because going through the doors is really visually satisfying and it's neat that Penny's prior level foreshadowed it. Also the cutscene at the end is adorable. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 11: No Barking Zone

I really like that this level allows you to set the pace of the fight by deciding when to trigger each wave of enemies. Although if an enemy is knocked over the railing and falls to the floor below it triggers a softlock which is annoying. Also, the expansion to the upstairs fighting area as it breaks through to the other room through the glass walls is really satisfying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 12: A Penny Saved

A short video just to get things moving again, I haven't recorded in a month cause of playing other things, as there are a bunch of things I never beat that I finally have. The next level after this is longer, harder and has a neat aspect so we'll see that when we see it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 13: Base Thumpin

My commentary is slightly lower quality because my normal mic broke and so I'm having to use a different headset, which has an internal microphone rather than an external one (it's a small hole in one of the earpieces that takes audio).

Overall this is a neat level, but it's totally packed with collectibles so it can get overwhelming. I like that the game starts hotswapping between Penny and Bolt as well as having their individual levels. These types of levels are neat because of both characters getting play time.

Also the next video will finally be the end of the Dam levels (and one of them is awesome), so we'll finally get a proper change of scenery after that one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 14 and 15: Doggie Demolition and Pup, Pup and Away!

We finish the Dam level and see how this game truly won me over. There are some excellent gimmick levels and the second one in this update is one of them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I think it’s cool that it’s like watching the bolt tv show. Thanks for doing this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Penny's minor breakdown in the cutscene immediately after the rocket with Bolt taking a little time to comfort her, it helps sell the fact that she is still a young teenager and nearly died.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 16: Barging In

Here is the latest update, in which we investigate a suspicious harbour. I really like that the cutscene tries to add a little pathos for Penny, it's nice that it makes the attempt.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 17: Belly up

It's been a while hasn't it? :P Here's a new update, with a level that's conceptually fun, but has some frustrating moments.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Levels 18 and 19: Pound for Pound and Fetchin' Train

I like these levels as they have a lot of character - the first one has a fun visual reference to the movie and some neat visuals in general based on chinese culture or items, and the second one is an inventive and fun level that's very different to the other train level from earlier.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 29, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A nice and easy Train level that's really a rhythm game? That's pretty nice actually. Still not Uncharted 2's Train Level, but you can't have perfection in all things.

Though I'm not sure if this particular train could have used one more obstacle set or not with how long/short it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 20: Ruffin It

A nice introduction to a cool area. Also I ramble about the characters in the movie for a bit :V

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 21: Time to Flea

I know it's been a while, I've been very busy since my new job has me working from home now. I like this level overall but it has moments of bullshit like the collectible in the vent and some of the trickier laser grid patterns.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Two things. First, now that you're switching between the two in the same level, I only noticed now that their health/stamina bars are in different corners, right and left.

Second, the guards you had so much trouble with see you not just through their vision cone, but also when you get too close to them, they can spot you regardless of which way they are actually facing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 22-24: Bouncing Back, Bridging the Gap Parts 1& 2

The penultimate video is now up! We also get all the collectibles in this video that I missed in prior levels. I had a fun idea of how to edit it, so I hope you enjoy the idea.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's a TV series. I'm sure plot holes are only normal. I'm surprisingly enjoying this. Don't know why though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Level 25-26: Calico and Final Gauntlet

We beat the final boss and save the day! I like the final part of the game, it does a good job ending on an epic note where most games just kind of stop with a lackluster final boss and call it a day - the sequence after the boss elevates the whole finale in my opinion because without it the final boss would have felt incredibly underwhelming, but it lets things end on a great visual.

I hope you enjoyed this LP, this game is in my opinion one of many hidden gems.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I enjoyed watching you play this game as well. Thanks for playing!