Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

:lol: CGA was so bizarrely horrid, I always wonder how they decided on eye-searing pink and turquoise as the two colours to use

Peanut Butler already answered why CGA wasn't that bad per say, but here's a YouTuber talking more about it. I mostly just wanted to boost a not-terrible YouTuber.

https://youtu.be/niKblgZupOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So does the game tell you once you've cleared an area of random encounters, or are you supposed to just assume that everyone is dead once they stop trying to kill you?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can... can we get some details? There's a story there that's dying to be told.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Ring ring, there’s a mr. dracolich on the phone for you

Uh, excuse me, dracolichs are clearly lichs in Dragon form, not dragons themselves. Note the lack of proper scales, and the tattered, shabby wings. No self-respecting dragon of any alignment would allow themselves to look like that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

No matter where you go in fantasy worlds, trolls are always Serious Business™. I have no idea when they went from a warty monster under a bridge to hulking badasses, but here we are.

sounds like u mad :troll:

Hey, that warty monster needed a goat to kill it. How many adventurers travel with a fully armed and operational battle goat?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sacks of agitated chickens are different than goats.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Next update is the one I talked about a few weeks ago where the lp starts coming together. It’s got a moment where we go from “a bunch of guys from choke’s lps over the years” to an actual cohesive team.

E: well. When I say “cohesive”...

E2: "Whoever." Whom is an indirect pronoun :colbert:

Why, does Rezen actually pay her band of ne'er-do-wells?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, if evil characters automatically join the villain at the end, what happens if you have an all-evil party? Does it just go "Game over, the end"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's an interesting way to spell "hilarious". Is the Deck of Many Things in the Gold Box games at all, or were there some things just too... unstable for the engine to handle? Also, what about bags of holding and portable hole interactions?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just eagerly anticipating the moment when Rezen "finds" a chainsaw in Faerun and lets nature take its course.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that, or Rezen makes a quick shopping run to Sigil because she had it with her all along, and just needed to fill up the gas tank.

Wait, was Sigil/Planescape a thing when the gold box games came out?

Edit: Planescape was first printed in 1994. A solid 2 years after the last Gold Box game came out. I guess that rules out Sigil shenanigans.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, that fight just screams "spam Fireball" in design. Can you even get a mage to a high enough level to learn it in this game?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, I thought that the once-per-day effects all had "on a miss, this deals half damage", which was still usually more than the basic or encounter move damages (barring lovely rolls)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not to mention that exp was more easily gained depending on your class (if I remember correctly, a thief would basically hit the level cap as soon as the party killed a dragon, because they got bonus exp based on the value of loot you find, and they had one of the lowest amount needed to hit the cap).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Turning Undead was deemphasized in 3ed but in previous editions it was baller

The number is the number on a d20 that you have to roll to get the undead to turn. T is an autoturn and D is just outright destruction.

Since the level cap for clerics is 6, this isn't all that much use when you're fighting the powerful undead from later in the game.

Part of me is going to regret asking, but what's the D* for?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't that just straight D though?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

How many zombies do you need before using them to create the greatest Thriller flashmob?

The bigger question is how many zombies do you need before they have enough votes that they can vote out the current ruling party and instill the necromancer coven as the duly-elected rules of Phlan?

... what? Am I the only one that would use necromancy to assume power legally? Zombie apocalypses are great and all, but then you have "heroes" and "adventurers" and "chosen ones" kicking in your front door every weeknight and twice a night on weekends trying to stop the tide of darkness.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, well, if they Voltron together, then you just need one shot of Turn Undead to deal with them :pseudo:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of just having a "mission" after the players have gotten a few levels where they just fight a swarm of weak enemies that used to be a headache, and just let them play with the tools that they may not get to use as regularly as their highest damage-per-round attacks. I mean, just push a giant ball of enemies at the players, and watch the fighters wade into the middle and being doing their best impersonations of Cuisinart blenders while the mages roll to see how many enemies they kill per spell dropped. This isn't something that I think would be run on the tabletop, but it's definitely one that I could see the group laughing and having a good time with just saying "Oh, I charge into the largest group of enemies, grab one and spin like a top" "Okay, roll to see how many you killed with that". A good "This is where you're at now, power wise" before they get smacked back down to earth by everything that isn't a kobold.

Just a battle where the enemies are so severely outgunned that you would have to start using arbitrary numbers of enemies to actually pose a threat. I mean, they're kobolds. They're a threat to level 1 characters and that's about it. Even a housecat stands good odds of taking one down.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Kobolds may be weak, but a DM who really plays up their racial trapmaking and ambush tactics can make fighting an army of kobolds a daunting task.

But yeah, sometimes letting the PCs enjoy their rightly-earned power and play Dynasty Warriors for a while isn't the worst thing.

When did Kobolds become the trap masters anyways? Wasn't that only after 3rd edition came out and made them into lizardpeople instead of dogpeople?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What size are the character portraits anyways?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

So, yeah. That's a thing that just happened.

Well that was certainly a... thing. Can... can we go back to the borderline functional, semi-compitent, quasi-heroes who try to conveniently ignore the sickly sweet smell of rotting corpses and that the overall skintone of the city has gone several shades deadergrayer?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh man! I can't wait for the sudden but inevitable betrayal of the city by Sternn and co. when the villain bribes them with 100 platinum pieces and a wagon full of barrels of the finest ales.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think they perfectly nailed her expression as well. She's not there to be your friend, she knows exactly why you're there, and she knows theres a good chance that as much blustering and swaggering the "heroes" are doing, theres a 75% chance she'll never see them again except as a "Missing Person" poster.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Time to stock up on garlic?

Did you know that fireballs are just like tiny suns? And that vampires dislike them just as much?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Actually, I'm surprised Chokes didn't have the specter as an undead Bob Barker telling Rezen she was the next contestant on The Price is Wight before she turned the dial and looked back at the party.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes may just be planning on stealing them all, closing the thread and having all non-Chokes posters perma-banned, and restarting the thread with a whole host of new puns that Chokes came up with. It's what Sternn would do after all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The amount of wight puns is rather ghoulish. I think I liched the thread better before we risked Chokes' wraith. I don't want to be a draugr, but at this point I would exspectre the thread to be locked between updates to stop the puns.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I tried to fit in an aghast pun as well, but it was late, I was tired, and I couldn't think of a way to make it work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Or edit the current title and deny any evidence to the contrary.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

no seriously it was fun but that seems like the right pun to leave off on, leave all graveyard puns behind from now on please and thank you~

Duly noted and filed, with the explicit exception that when you run into a Lich (and I'm sure you will at some point just because of how iconic they are for D&D), you can probably expect some bad lich jokes. Not necessarily from me, just that lich is really easy to make puns with. And hopefully it'll be far enough into the future that everyone will have forgotten this warning.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can you charm someone who is already under the effects of a charm spell?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I guess my question to you, Chokes, is that was there at any point in the first game where Sternn having 17 Int instead of 15 Int would have changed anything? If not, then C, otherwise C, but with a humorous explanation for why he is slightly smarter now.
I mean, you said you always intended for him to be the mage so no harm, no foul.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, I'd settle for a joke where someone demands to see which character sheet and it has the 5 scribled out and a 7 written in its place.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, down the line, if one or more party members permanently bite it, Chokes has plenty of other schlubs beloved characters that can make an appearance. Like Trog!

...actually, now I kinda want to see how Trog would be as a Paladin.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No, Chokes, worry about purity! Show us exactly what BS the game throws at the player so we can cheer you on as you take off the kiddie gloves and tear the game a new one through the art of "gently caress your rules, I have hex editors".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Cast Haste on a high-level warrior armed with two axes" is the D&D chainsaw.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, good news, everyone. I'm not dead from the sars and, in fact, will be updating in a day or two. I expect to have some extra time to work on the LP given that I've literally been welded into my house to prevent me from getting coffee or whatever. I don't know how they welded wood but they managed it.

Oh... oh Chokes... I'm so sorry to hear you have DREADED MUMMY DISEASE. If there's anything we can do to help you overcome DREADES MUMMY DISEASE, please don't hesitate to let us know.

That is why they welded your door shut, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, did 1e even have druid spells? I thought druids were an offshoot of clerics at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just remember to show your work if when you break out the big guns and decide that all's fair in dealing with the game that's cheating more blatantly than a GM who gleefully wears a shirt counting all the times he caused TPKs, and shoots for at least one a game session.