Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kaysette posted:

I tried on my second run to be mean to him but I just couldn't.

same op. i want to be kim katsuragi when i grow up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Holy hell, you can get one of Rene's medals.

I found and did this yesterday and it might be the funniest goddamn scene I've ever seen in a game

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I wanted that sandwich as well, but when gaston excitedly asked me if I could make the ur-sandwich for which I needed his, I was compelled to forsake it and choose '(Stare into the distance) "No. No one can."'

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that happened to me and it was awesome. kim survives anyway. ain't gonna savescum a lovely authority roll like a COWARD

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Related: I also never discovered the final interaction with Joyce where she reveals who she is. D'oh.

what interaction is that? she'll tell you she's an ultra (and the player is obligated to choose "Dios mio! A LIBERAL!"), plus the chats about the pale. what else is there?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

She's not a representative for Wild Pines; she is one of its directors. Evrart is trying to take over the harbor on behalf of the union to start a class war, and Joyce asks for your take in a way that basically shapes how all the political tension in Revachol is expected to manifest.

I feel like the second sentence is her whole raison d'etre, but that first part is interesting. do you know what it takes to get this chat?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Lifted from someone on Discord, edited for clarity/formatting:

Meet Joyce, get the basic lowdown, get Jamais Vu, learn about the pale, do her subquest about the smuggler (or eventually show her your badge)
Go to Evrart, do his subquests, talk to him after mailing the signatures and getting access to the Pigs encounter to get him to come clean about the strike
Wait for Joyce to move to the fishing village pier, grill her again and insist she tells you about the discovery of Insulinde, she'll tell you to wait
On your way back from the Ruby confrontation into the tribunal, stop by Joyce, and open the unrelated dialogue tree of explaining Evrart's plans to her. She'll go on the Insulindian miracle rant, and you get closure on both her true identity and Harry/Kim's impression on her before she sails away

Bolded the part that I and probably most other people missed, but you have to have done all the other stuff along the way as well.

aha, thank you. I'm on day 4 of yet another playthrough - do you know if the order matters? that is, if I've already chatted with joyce in the fishing village, have I missed my chance to talk to evrart post-pigs? I guess that you can only meet pigs and get your gun back after joyce has moved to the fishing village anyway, since I think she moves on wednesday? my guess is that it doesn't matter and I can still get this conversation, idk.

anyway holy poo poo this world is fascinating and I lust for an official map. show me that goddamn pale.

though, hum. if you can travel deep enough into the pale that reality breaks down and concepts like "distance" and "numbers" stop meaning anything, it makes me wonder if even asking for a map makes sense... though as a counterargument, traveling through the pale essentially relies on launching airships in precisely the right direction. that implies separate isolas are always in the same position relative to each other...

is elysium even a goddamn sphere? joyce says "...if there was a sphere in there it certainly looks like it fractured a long time ago." does the planet orbit around a sun? has anyone done that one experiment on the length of shadows at the same time but different points on the surface that the ancient greeks used to prove the earth is round? tell me robert kurwitz i'm dying

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

i also questioned the received idea of a spherical world when i first started posting in the thread, but 1) joyce eventually mentions "orbital" flight, and 2):

lmao that's an excellent point. I can accept that by "fractured" joyce just means "separated by pale." if the pale isn't matter, then there isn't a continuous sphere of matter - just some fractured pieces of matter floating where they used to be when the sphere existed.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Pale is the past. It grows exponentially as the weight of thousands of years of history continue to accrete and choke out future possibilities, the mistakes and prejudices and decisions of long dead men and women setting the course for people who will be born long after. Eventually there's so much past there can't be a future.

well, sure, I follow the logic and understand the RPG trope such that "some say the pale is reified past" means "the pale is reified past." and I like to think I appreciate the thematic undertones. like - I guess I'll spoil this since it's from the ending - the phasmid explicitly compares the encroaching pale to the oxygen catastrophe. the parallel between "early cyanobacterial photosynthesis created oxygen as a byproduct, which eventually built up, changed the environment drastically, and killed them" and "human minds create memories of the past as a byproduct, which will eventually build up, change the environment drastically, and kill them" is pretty straightforward, as well as a real-world parallel with "human industry produces greenhouse gases as a byproduct, which is building up, changing the environment drastically, and will kill them." I follow how that serves to create compelling writing, and how trying to map elysium is, in some meaningful sense, missing the point. but I'm the kind of dork that likes to think about a setting's minutiae.

possibly a good way to conceptualize the pale is like a black hole. someone inside the event horizon of a black hole can't ever leave, like the solution to motorway south, but you can still say that the black hole itself is a physical region. this also tracks with assumptions like - there's ground in the pale, at least in the shallower parts. you can walk into it and through at least part of it, there's something to push against for the purpose of movement. but then, what happens if you go to the porch collapse where matter turns into pale, dig deep into the matter, and then tunnel towards the pale? can you be "underground" in the shallow pale?

...though I just googled and I guess that ground disappears pretty quickly, based on this old tweet
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1027256218929246209

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

chatted up Idiot Doom Spiral some more, listened to him talk about the Cocaine Skull. only when he complained that the way to it was blocked by a truck labeled Delta Logistics Company did I get the joke about downloadable content

e: also I asked about getting some final conversations from Joyce and Evrart and think I figured out a minor thing about getting them:

getting Evrart to admit he wants open war is at least in part behind the dialogue option "did you order the hanged man killed?" I only dug into his conversation after I had found the hanging had been staged, so I figured it was pointless to pick. but I ran out of other options - when asked why he didn't seem worried about the tribunal, he had some line about getting to second base without buying him dinner first, and rhetoric said I should do more things for him - but this was after I had gotten my gun back from the Pigs. possibly a flag didn't trip because I visited Pigs without Kim?

anyway, once he'd talked about that, I was able to tell Joyce, realize she's a director of wild pines rather than just a representative, and encourage her into giving up the dock to the Union. she then sailed off. this was after I had reached the big Shivers check to find Ruby, but before I had passed it.

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 22, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

zaum claims that the novel Sacred and Terrible Air will be released in english in the second half of 2020. so on the off chance this show goes anywhere, it'll have a wider base of text to pull from. this assuming that kurvitz and krew don't have meaningful control - if they even could have such control, idk poo poo about funding or whatever.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

both obsessed with speed

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it just demonstrates that the moralintern analog, the collective of Very Serious People, is vaguely aware of the game, and so its ultraliberal aspect might take to profiting off a TV adaptation. take a deep breath about the dumb magazine

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Digital Osmosis posted:

I mean, she does identify herself as female at least.

is Shivers "itself" female, or is that just the feminine La Revacholiere speaking through it? as I recall the ultimate church danceoff scene has the speaker explicitly call herself the genius loci of revachol, which is presumably not located within or otherwise a part of harry's hosed-up brain

I guess Shivers itself could be coded feminine while simultaneously being a "part" of masculine harry, but I mostly wanted the opportunity to type the phrase "genius loci"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Glazius posted:

Espirit de Corps says hi.

Encyclopedia would too, but it was pub quiz night and everyone nailed his door shut afterwards.

Not to the obvious extent the other two are, but an awful lot of Encyclopedia is information that Harry's been exposed to but never really became part of Harry. For example, The Expression is part of Harry and you need to employ your electrospine to do anything with it, but the other elements of Guillaume le Million (if it doesn't rhyme, you're not saying it right) are just kind of lying forgotten in a corner until Encyclopedia chances on them while tidying up.

as opposed to just narrating distant events, esprit de corps does explicitly talk to you at least once: it guesses that jean vicquemare, wearing the sunglasses and blond wig in the whirling, is somehow related to you. when vicquemare, annoyed, says "no" to see how you'll react, esprit de corps figures it must've misread something and apologizes. the contrast I want to know is whether shivers ever uses the same "I" type of sentence when it isn't clearly LA REVACHOLIERE. is it just an unfeeling conduit for description from the city, or does it have cognizance of itself like the other skills?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Twobirds posted:

So depending on my build, I might have caught it and responded to it?

Really like it so far. Great writing. PoE2 is fun, but the full voice acting grated on me eventually. I just like to read, I guess.

yeah. the point is the journey, so to speak. the facts of the case/world at the start of the game are fixed, and the variety/depth comes from how your choice of skills affects how you navigate situations. that includes both your inspiring successes and your catastrophic failures in equal measure.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

are there patch notes somewhere?

unrelated: it just occurred to me that the sphere in the background of the logo is, presumably, elysium

e: VVV thanks. time to get exploring I suppose

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 2, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

JustaDamnFool posted:

I think the rng is alright in most places, it allows for some surprises when you ace a check that didn't have much of a chance at, and vice versa. Most failures are still pretty fun, so its not so bad when things go wrong.

There are two times when I think the system does the game a disservice, and they're right next to each other towards the end of the game;the check to dodge being shot at the end of the mercenary tribunal, and the following authority check to warn kim. In the former case the roll is a guaranteed fail, and its attempting to drive home the inevitability of HDB getting shot (you cannot, in fact, dodge bullets despite how much you might want to). However, this point was already demonstrated more successfully in the unopenable door earlier on, all the dodging check does is encourage people to try and savescum through the entire tribunal.

On the latter check, I rolled snake eyes on a 97% chance and Kim got shot, and that sucked.

those situations do say "INEVITABLY FAILED" instead of just "FAILED," but it doesn't get signposted. maybe this problem could be alleviated by making it clearer that you can't pass those checks, whether before or after you actually try it.

oughta start playthrough number 4 to do a hardcore run. but almost all of the other achievements I'm missing are related to being a fascist "traditionalist" and/or being a dick to Kim and I don't even know if I'm capable of either

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Xander77 posted:

It takes all of -5 points, which you can easily make up for:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921534085

oh awesome, kim hates me at 11 AM day 1 and now we can start over fresh. thanks

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hogama posted:

Always been there but the requirements are pretty high and the window to meet is pretty small so it's easy to miss.

played this game almost four times by now and never noticed. what are the requirements, what do they say

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BlueGrot posted:

I figured that the pale is a video game logic. Continents linked through lore, but not physically. When you travel between them, time stands still and suddenly you arrive.

naw, it's an actual thing -

joyce mentions pictures taken from low orbit
ruby mentions people who spend time in radio relay stations in the pale, who go crazy after only a few years
the two expeditions of Queen Irene's that returned, one sane and one gibbering mad, returned at times significantly after their departure

of course this can be hard to square with the concept of pale being a lack of measurable reality - if universal laws start breaking down in the pale, presumably you can get deep enough that time stops being a thing too - but, you know, fiction

e:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Weather and radio signals can pass between continents. And also there's a space program that takes pictures of continents.

interesting... do we actually know that weather does extend through the pale? I mean presumably the pale still has an atmosphere, since people can breathe in it. there is also the concept art of a paleworker that depicts what I assume are clouds. don't remember if the game says anything specific along these lines.

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 16, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

well, in my obsession, I have now gotten every achievement in this game

and I still don't know what the trigger conditions are to make that goddamn pair of mysterious eyes show up

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I really like Evrart's:

Mostly red but with a splash of liberal yellow.

wait a minute. are those evrart's irises visible behind his glasses? somehow in-game I had always parsed the glasses as reflective and not revealing his eyes behind them.

I ask because, uh, isn't edgar the one with the lazy eye, not evrart? :tinfoil:

also, on a whim, I bought Pale Aged Vodka in my last playthrough. turns out the bottle is shaped like an interisolary liner that vanished in the pale, which was kinda neat

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

Edgar Claire, the brother with the lazy-eye, is claimed to "the smart one" of the two. The brothers supposedly rotate between being the union boss in order to circumvent term limits, but in reality it's always Edgar. Evrart Claire is off doing something in another country during the events of Disco Elysium, under the guise of being Edgar.

setting up drug buys in samara, no doubt

resting bort face posted:

I figured this out second time I tried the game, yeah.

I like games that don't hold my hand but the punishment for dying here isn't "replay the tricky bits" as in Cuphead or Dark Souls, but "read all the text again." It's just an odd design choice imo, especially when the rest of the game is so shockingly fresh and good.

I think it's fair to say that the actual, for want of a better word, gameplay in this game is mediocre at best. there's not much to 'master' in terms of how the skills, thought cabinet, and your choice of clothing interact. heck, the clothing system should, if you ask me, be reworked heavily if not discarded entirely. it's really silly to talk to someone, see a check, tell them "ok talk to you later," take off your cloak and put on a robe so you're better at doing drugs or whatever, and then go "hey I'm back!" inside of twenty seconds. but happily, the gameplay systems hardly even matter, because they exist only to deliver Harry And Kim's Excellent Adventure.

anyway, F5 is quicksave and F9 is quickload. don't fall to the temptation of savescumming on your first go, but you don't have to rely on autosaves.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Philman posted:

I have some questions:

is it possible to get across the waterlock before day 3?

can you actually get into that bunker door near the church? do you just need to save scum it or is there something i missed about how to get in? Is it part of a quest chain?

Is it possible to get stuck where you cannot advance to find ruby or find the island in the last part?

it's time for art-cop/superstar cop now.

1. nope

2. no, never. in fact, even if you pass the check, it doesn't work. I actually did this a couple days ago and can confirm, you can roll >20 on the Interfacing check with juiced stats and luck/savescumming, and it doesn't open the door anyway. if you mouseover the check info you'll see it says "INEVITABLY FAILED" instead of just "FAILED". this is also the case with at least one other check, the reaction speed check during the tribunal to dodge getting shot: you always fail regardless of the numerical result.

3. I don't think so. I guess in principle you could screw up finding Ruby by exhausting every single bonus to the big Shivers check, consuming every source of experience so you can't level up any more, and then rolling snake eyes. the odds of that happening accidentally are astronomical, though. as for the island, if you didn't arrest her, Klaasje will leave behind a ballistics analysis of the shot before fleeing, so you get pointed there... but what if you arrest her and also never finish the visual calculus check that points you to the boardwalk/land's end/the island? that I don't know. interesting question. I assume there's failsafes where Kim would suggest it or something.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Philman posted:

is it the same with that container in the docks? the one that makes fun of you when you try to use reasoning on the door?

beaten but nope, you can actually get in there. as time passes you get bonuses to that check ("been in this world for many days"), and if you get in you can see one of the funnier encounters in the game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

actually, while I'm at it, what are the checks that must absolutely, no-other-choice be passed to complete the game?

I guess you need to make a check to get into the harbor: either conceptualization to internalize advanced race theory, physical instrument to beat up Measurehead, or savoir faire to jump to your cloak. (e: oh and I guess getting to that jump requires a Perception check too, to get into cuno's shack.) I haven't seen it myself but I've heard that if you fail the Authority/Logic checks against Titus three times, Kim will step in and do it for you. then there's the Big Shivers Check, then either a savoir faire or physical instrument check to get inside the building. if those two have failsafes, I'm not aware of them. I don't remember any must-pass checks after those. are there any others besides those which don't have an alternate no-check-required route?

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 31, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tylana posted:

It's fiddly to get but if you pass Encyclopedia about pinballs and Kim. You learn about his stint undercover with youth crimes unit (as a youth I think? Unclear), his nickname Kimball, and how he basically never wants to deal with kids as a police officer again now he's grown up.

that's part of why he's so grumpy about it - he was in that gig for a really long time, long into adulthood/his career:
"Oh yeah? I did 15 years in the Juvenile Crime Unit. I can *do* age-inappropriate."
"It was not okay. I needed to become a... *pinball champion*." He shudders. "I trained for 9 months. The job was successful and I was moved out of the juvenile wing -- to homicide."
"That time is over now." He looks at the pinball machine and breathes in. "I was already a 38 year old man. It was unbecoming. As was playing pinball."

(from this text dump of the game)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Olive Branch posted:

How do you do, fellow delinquents?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:kiss:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

don't think so, never heard of anyone doing that

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

"gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?!" Is the 'You must gather your party before venturing forth.' of the 21st century.

this is not particularly relevant but it blows my mind that the person who voices Cuno also voices Jean Vicquemare

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I put a lot into Reaction Speed purely because I couldn’t think of a comeback when I radioed my precinct, and I resolved never to be owned again

the origin story of a true posting ronin

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

one of the beauties of disco elysium is that there is no way to make the tribunal go "perfectly," or even "well"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Just want to fact check this post from a bit back, the creator said specifically that slavery never existed in Elysium, lmao

do you have a link to this interview or whatever? sounds bizarre. my initial reaction is wondering if such a claim is more about, like, the nature/structure of the transatlantic slave trade, as opposed to the entire concept of "owning people"

Philman posted:

Holy poo poo that's what that 300 bottle is for!?

looks like you need to wear your horrific necktie more often, *bratan*

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

however it makes a sense given the different material conditions imagined by for example having a single world religion from the dawn of time that acted as a supranational entity in terms of law and social organization - which would make serfdom far more likely than slavery, imo - and transisolary travel being way more loving complicated than transoceanic, which meant that Insulinde, being the only isola without people had to be permanently settled, something that you could not do slaves

besides, I think it is an unfair take re: "political peril" because of stuff like the detailed commentary on the matter of imperialist oppression and colonialism, which goes up to and including a thoroughly descriptive atrocity involving mutilation, rape and cannibalism by first world mercenaries against villagers

(there are like five skills which pop up at the time to give content warning)

interesting idea about the innocentic system being a single world religion in the present day - but I have to assume that wasn't the case during the dawn of dolores dei.

spoiled out of an excess of caution:

I think joyce says flat out that every isola except Insulinde was inhabited before anyone from Mundi knew about them, so presumably they had native religions.

and now that I'm thinking about it, I also recall that joyce specifies that at least one isola discovered Mundi rather than the other way around:
"The nations of Mundi proceeded to discover five more isolae -- or they discovered us -- all in the rush of the great inter-isolary reconnection..."

which ties in to encyclopedia's lecture about dolores dei's death. whether she was actually human, and the ravings of her guard-slash-assassin:
"Something that had walked in our midst, watching us stumble for hundreds, if not thousands of years, until it decided to interfere -- interfere in the course of our history. 'We were supposed to come up with this ourselves!' the man was reported to have screamed at the innocence..."

I can't think of any further discussion of gods. but I suppose the existence of the genius loci of la revacholiere implies the existence of genius loci of other things, possibly including things like "humanity" and "Elysium itself."

finish translating the loving novel zaum I swear to god I'll pay you heck of cash for it.

Roumba posted:

Does hardcore mode have any value other than as a high score challenge mode thing for min-maxer build-n-execute sort of people? Replacing the main menu music with the proto-hardcore beat got a good chuckle out of me.

the harder checks will heavily encourage you to take shitloads of drugs and possibly slightly different routes. towards the end the bonus xp makes the difference disappear. not particularly difficult and it gets you an achievement

e: VVV lmao I didn't catch that. also I guess I should spoil most of this

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 17, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

my eyebrows leapt off my head when encyclopedia said that Dolores Dei's agents were called her "harriers"

looked it up, gonna be a huge pedant:
"Although she is often considered to be the greatest human being to ever live, there *was* something ominous about Dolores Dei -- constantly surrounded by her Therriers..."

...but ancestry.com says the surname "therrier" is related to "harrier",
so that's close enough for me

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

some questions only la revacholiere can answer

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

managed to get the peaceful final dream. think the only potential playthroughs left for me are supercop and maybe botchcop. game good

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

How do you get that?

you have to avoid everything that triggers memories of dora. the game mentions three things to dodge but there may be more - don't have an exhaustive list of what trips the "harry_remembers_his_ex" flag or whatever. but here's the scene and what I did:

I was worried that two or three mentions of Dolores Dei could have precluded it - Kim mentioned her when talking about the body's tattoos, and Joyce as well during her story of the discovery of Insulinde - but apparently not. jamais vu and the reality lowdown didn't seem to be a problem either. I never cracked open the ledger's hidden compartment nor got the jeans with the gum wrapper to avoid any odors of apricot, never entered the church or talked to andre and company, never dialed either phone, never clicked on the shelf with the book about the innocences. the dialogue with the phasmid even accounted for it:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Some guy wrote about Disco Elysium in VICE and... kind of missed the point imo?

'Disco Elysium' Was Too Afraid of Sincerity to Be Revolutionary
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kpjzq/disco-elysium-was-too-afraid-of-sincerity-to-be-revolutionary

Like he clearly engaged with the game on a fairly deep level but somehow mistook all the humour and self-awareness as irony and insincerity? It's really hard to pinpoint where he went wrong in my eyes but I just don't know how you can leave this game thinking it is insincere and hopeless.

fake edit: all readings are valid

did this guy not see the whole "Failure. [Communism] is about failure." part and its brutal sincerity about the futility struggling against impossible odds, yet doing it anyway? utopia is eternally on the horizon no matter how long you walk, but you walk anyway, that sort of thing. he definitely misread the ending scene where ptolemy pryce and nix gottlieb are reviewing who they can count on in the coming uprising, considering that line about how "enduring change" is "localized."

actually, now that I think about it, this kind of reads like the flipside of those early reviews complaining that you can't fix cuno's speed habit or convince measurehead to give up racism or whatever. he did his best to make an optimistic communist cop, and it feels like he expected the game to reward him with pats on the head and compliments about how good his choices were and how what he did is gonna help fix revachol. acknowledging difficulties and imperfections feels just like when kreia was mean to me :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Motto posted:

He noted that spoiler on twitter but said he wrote that plotline off because cops.

:captainpop: