Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This game looks extremely loving sick and I can't wait to make my cop be the least coppy cop that ever copped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I only found out this exists yesterday and I'm explosively excited about it. I want this game to sit on my face all day long.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Writers on speed is the best base for a good RPG.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Glad to see the handwringing has started before the game is even loving out.

Gonna go talk about this in cspam.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I would be confident from what I've read of the dev blogs that this game is being written from a thoughtful confident perspective and its going to give you the option to be a dirtbag if you want to, like most RPGs. You're just not going to be chaotic evil, you're going to be a pathetic jerk on a power trip who has indigestion and a drug habit.

Thanks for this, you've essentially covered what I was too lazy to go back and find.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Vonkrieger posted:

Going to break so so many lefty faces!

lol gently caress off shitheel.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This game isn't political the same way being an anarchist "isn't political."

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Evrert chat: The partisan at the end says he was working for Evrerts brother, who appears to actually be the dangerous big ideas guy. Big ideas as in revolution again, or maybe hes just another kingpin who was playing the old partisan. Either way games good, shorter than expected thought there would be another map or something more after the island. Looking forward to the inevitable Harry/Lena DLC where you go full dugged out ironside/ms. marple cross over.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Digital Osmosis posted:

Also, No Truce With The Furies is still a way better name

It is yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinyes

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think the game should be worse, posted the poster.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

You can also fail to do stuff that activates the dream sequence, so when you lie there harry pulls himself together and gets up. I did it in recent phys run and I just didn't do stuff to make it happen, the church etc.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Captain Splendid posted:

Is it ever explained why there's a mural of your face in the fortress?

You look like a certain dead communard.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Honestly who gives a poo poo about somebody breaking "The Law". Being the MC of DE gives you the opportunity to make the right decisions for everyone. And to have it stick because most people respect you for being "A Cop."

Theres a lot of self righteousness in this thread RE: Klassje. Handing Klassje over to the moralintern is objectively the wrong thing to do. Why? Because shes probably mostly telling you the truth once you've confronted her with evidence. By arresting her you are murdering her for... Tampering with a body and making sure she has her hands clean. No one can point at her and say "This was her fault kill her." Thats why she does what she does, she doesn't know if Lely was killed just to send a message to her, she doesn't know anything about the elderly drugged up communist watching her every move. Yes shes dishonest, yes shes a party girl and yes she is on a self destructive downward slide and probably taking a few people with her. But that doesn't make her someone deserving of being murdered by the Moralintern. Are you an upstanding member of the Revachol Citizens Militia or are you a bag man for international capital?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TommyGun85 posted:

this is not a correct interpretation of her chara ter and it is all part of her manipulation. I do agree arresting her is wrong though as you are a homicide detective.

Klassje is a spy hired by Evrart to encite violence between the dockworkers and the mercs. She uses the murder as an opportunity which is why she tampers with the body and manipulates the Hardies. She tries to play herself as a victim. She doesnt care about Lely or the Hardies and she escapes once her work is done. Shes a good corporate spy.

At what point in the game does it say she was hired by evrart? Because I never got that. Also, the thread seems to be missing that being a cop is not a good thing. Cops in real life are mostly aforementioned bag men for capital. DE lets you live the fantasy of "being a good cop" like in a movie or a tv show or a video game. Not in real life. Same way the RCM existing at all is fantastical.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, if you want to talk objective morality, let’s talk cause and effect:

Klassje has, through her actions, caused the death a dozen people, including the suicide of a relative innocent. It was her obstruction of justice which directly led to the tribunal. The moral dilemma we are forced to reckon with is fairly artificial: Should she die, or will we allow her to kill again? In a just world, she could be imprisoned, but we are not allowed that simple answer.

So, if we assume she will continue to act as she has in the past, and we assume that she will cause the death of at least one more innocent person through her manipulation and deception, it is an objectively moral decision to arrest her even if we know she will die as a result.

Can I just say how great a game this is for it to elicit such a debate?

My problem with this response is you don't know if she will kill again you can't say for sure but somehow people are ok with taking action against her that leads to her death.

I do think Klassje has been written as an overtly classic femme fatale, but the difference in DE is that her fate is in your hands by the end of things. Because the femme fatale always gets away with it, we have a bunch of people in the thread saying no gently caress her time to face the music. When Klassje facing the music is of no benefit to anyone. You can rationalise it by saying that you will be protecting people from her in the future. But there is absolutely nothing that tells us she will always be this way and that she can't change. Mirroring harrys personal journey as the game continues.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's unfortunate that merely by virtue of having the POV character be a cop, even a game as skeptical and critical of cops as DE can lead to people suffering from cop brain

moralists itt

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pewdiepie posted:

Did you read the dialogue or just click through.

Did you completely misunderstand this game or just what I wrote?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pewdiepie posted:

I think I understand what you wrote better than you do. To summarize - cops aren't Judge Dredd. You assess evidence, and arrest a suspect if there is supporting evidence for a crime. From there on it is out of the cop's hands. That's what a good cop is. Anything else is a fundamental misunderstanding. If you let Klassje go, then your Harrier failed massively in his duty as a policeman.

Cryptofascist.

Edit: You don't understand what law and order is for.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pewdiepie posted:

I think you're mostly acting out of bad faith, but if you feel you aren't I'd love to hear why you think I'm a cryptofascist.

Read back your own posts here dude.

Pewdiepie posted:

Cryptofascist guy I didn't have enough points in yellow to notice his armor but I probably would have punished him too given the chance. Do you get the chance?

This video is fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5xnEL8mYg

VictualSquid posted:

Now personally I was planing to arrest her in the evening after I found out she was lying. But before doing that I went to meet the Sunday friend. And after that I decided that screwing over the Moralists is the only moral decision.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm not going to watch the video - I'd prefer if you used your words on the forum to share ideas. I guess you're mostly taking umbrage with the notion that I was willing to punish the cryptofascist guy over stealing military grade body armor from a crime scene corpse (a crime!) - as I mentioned before my Harry didn't have the stats to even pursue that conversation path so I don't have full context.

I'm not gonna waste my time tbh.

Edit: Because you are misunderstanding basically everything I'm posting - thats why I'm not gonna waste my time, because its a waste of time. Go read a book about policing or CSPAM or whatever. Not doing your homework for you.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 8, 2020