Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just finished this game. Liked it a lot less than other people have. Not hugely interested in complaining about the game in it's own thread though; my real question is to what extent the ending sequence (say, from when you confront Ruby onwards) changes from playthrough to playthrough. Because what I got felt so unsatisfying I can only assume I got the equivalent of the normal ending in a game with a true ending (though I understand that's not the paradigm here and is unlikely to be literally true).

What I got was the killer was an old communist soldier living as a hermit on the island with a sniper rifle. Also he's maybe under some mild mind control from a giant stick insect. And then we arrest him with little fanfare and my old partner confronts me in a sequence where I'm judged by what I did all game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thats always the ending, the only thing that changes is how much context you have for the war the Deserter is from, what the insect is and whether you can take a picture of it and a few other odd mysteries that are cleared up if you stumbled into them.

If you haven't already, try reloading and sleeping in the bed on the island. That may be a better capstone to the experience than what you seem to have gotten.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nephthys posted:

Thats always the ending, the only thing that changes is how much context you have for the war the Deserter is from, what the insect is and whether you can take a picture of it and a few other odd mysteries that are cleared up if you stumbled into them.

If you haven't already, try reloading and sleeping in the bed on the island. That may be a better capstone to the experience than what you seem to have gotten.

I did do that, and I didn't really like it because it seemed to be saying that Harry regressing was inevitable, when one of the major themes of the game as I read it was "what do you do when you get a new life"?. As for the ending proper, I guess I'll stick with my initial assessment of "thematically appropriate but narratively unsatisfying" and leave it at that to avoid making GBS threads up the thread.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nephthys posted:

And who, if anyone, was pulling the strings. And the other murders. Also the Why.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It doesn't say regression is inevitable, it says he'll have to deal with this trauma in time. There's a reason the stick insect tells you to turn away from ruin and go forward; Harry still can.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

It doesn't say regression is inevitable, it says he'll have to deal with this trauma in time. There's a reason the stick insect tells you to turn away from ruin and go forward; Harry still can.

Well I definitely missed some stuff then. Is this something I can get with a quick reload to retry the red check in better clothes, or will I need to replay the entire game to talk to the bug?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

ChrisBTY posted:

I did the Church stuff. Did I miss something other than 'there is a hole in the universe on this very spot and it could expand and devour us at any moment' And yes I have now beaten it.

Yeah I guess I didn't phrase that very well.

i wrote this semi-effort post a while back. in broad strokes i agree that hope is very rare and difficult in DE, but, despite the hegemonic and complete capitalist oppression that's colonised every part of revachol and DE, hope still exists.

oscarthewilde posted:

i mean it is hopeless, in that the particular kind of hope that DE presents is not the 'hope' that's enshrined in today's ordoliberal capitalistic democracy. it's not obama's HOPE, it's not 'adjusting the tax rate by two percent and using the proceeds to entice private insurers to insure people with a pre-existing condition', it's not 'spending billions in a stimulus package while constantly cracking down welfare and aid for the poor. that's the kind of hope that sustains a system and sustains its hegemony. no, DE offers a radical -though perhaps not radically new- hope, by showing the power of individuals as a collective -titus and the gang, the union, but also, in more negative sense the mercenaries, the most directly 'powerful' group in the game- as well as the individual over the self. the current obviously injust system is not invulnerable nor as hegemonic as it seems, within the collective lies the power, and seemingly more and more the will, to radically change and improve its lot and decide their own destiny. the revolution might not be a communist revolution -the communists are all dead and buried after all-, but revachol is clearly a powder keg eagerly waiting for a spark. a better future is possible, but not by ruling the world as a
merito/technocratic numbers fuckstein, no, the real power lies in the hand of the people and that's making liberals and moralists quiver with fear

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cheetah7071 posted:

Well I definitely missed some stuff then. Is this something I can get with a quick reload to retry the red check in better clothes, or will I need to replay the entire game to talk to the bug?

Did you do the cryptozoologist sidequest and get sprayed with pheremones? If so you can just retry.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Did you do the cryptozoologist sidequest and get sprayed with pheremones? If so you can just retry.

Yeah I did. It was a red check but I was wearing the wrong clothes and still had a decent shot so I probably have 80%+ in the right ones. The RNG is probably my biggest complaint about the game.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, everyone says that you shouldn't reload rolls and this is largely true, but there are definitely some checks that you can get absolutely hosed on and 100% should redo if you are.

I got snake eyes on that same roll. Over 90% too.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Talking to the bug was one of the most beautiful experiences I've had playing a video game. I cried! You absolutely have to do it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Talking to the bug was nice. Didn't change any of my overall impressions of the game but it did improve the ending. Shame it's locked behind RNG.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
managed to talk to the bug on first playthrough, kim is the best partner. going to so a 2/4/2/4 build now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait there are other murders?

The only other body I found was the guy who slipped and fell on the boardwalk

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

clearly not looking for sequence killers hard enough

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was killing it. At karaoke. :smug:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

twistedmentat posted:

Wait there are other murders?

The only other body I found was the guy who slipped and fell on the boardwalk

I forget the exact dialogue you need to get to bring it up but you can goad the deserter into admitting that he killed the previous union head on behalf of Edgar. It may be that just talking to Joyce about it beforehand is enough.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

UnknownMercenary posted:

I forget the exact dialogue you need to get to bring it up but you can goad the deserter into admitting that he killed the previous union head on behalf of Edgar. It may be that just talking to Joyce about it beforehand is enough.

You need all the pieces of evidence to crack the case if you want those revelations. That's the odd print, the whole in the wall, the bullet and murder weapon, the shooting angle and most importantly the may bells. Miss any and you don't get the confession AFAIK.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Transient People posted:

You need all the pieces of evidence to crack the case if you want those revelations. That's the odd print, the whole in the wall, the bullet and murder weapon, the shooting angle and most importantly the may bells. Miss any and you don't get the confession AFAIK.

I couldn't catch the may bells, but I still got the confession/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s probably a percentage chance to get the confession, with the percentage going up for each piece of evidence and relevant skill points.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh I got that, I thought there would be More murdered bodies to find in the city. Not the old commie confessing to crimes.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 12, 2020

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
ohh, it updated.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1707362418738413903
over a week ago, whelp...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This one cracked me up

Patch Notes posted:

Fixed a bug where the dialogue would get stuck. It wasn’t you, it was a bug.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Good news!

quote:

Implemented a feature to ease the Carpal-Tunnel Syndrome. Now you can hold the mouse button to Run (same as double-click)

also -

quote:

Added more fog. Because - fog!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is it ever explained why there's a mural of your face in the fortress?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Captain Splendid posted:

You look like a certain dead communard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Splendid posted:

I figured that the Sniper was watching Harry go around and became obsessed with him as well

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

quote:

Dialogue system updated from 2.4 to 3.0! You, you smooth talker.

Anyone know what this means?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

You just have a striking resemblance to Fantasy Karl Marx

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I did do that, and I didn't really like it because it seemed to be saying that Harry regressing was inevitable, when one of the major themes of the game as I read it was "what do you do when you get a new life"?. As for the ending proper, I guess I'll stick with my initial assessment of "thematically appropriate but narratively unsatisfying" and leave it at that to avoid making GBS threads up the thread.

Going back to this post because I’m curious how you got to the major theme you identified. Your character (depending on how you play) is the only character that seems to take the prospect seriously, and everywhere you go you’re constantly confronted with the consequences of your actions. To me, the theme is more about how much accept the life you’ve led. You don’t have to acknowledge your face or name if you don’t want to, but it doesn’t mean you get a fresh start.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Just finished this game. Liked it a lot less than other people have. Not hugely interested in complaining about the game in it's own thread though; my real question is to what extent the ending sequence (say, from when you confront Ruby onwards) changes from playthrough to playthrough. Because what I got felt so unsatisfying I can only assume I got the equivalent of the normal ending in a game with a true ending (though I understand that's not the paradigm here and is unlikely to be literally true).

What I got was the killer was an old communist soldier living as a hermit on the island with a sniper rifle. Also he's maybe under some mild mind control from a giant stick insect. And then we arrest him with little fanfare and my old partner confronts me in a sequence where I'm judged by what I did all game

That's pretty much all you'll get out of it playing it as a normal game and not indulging it. Its a novel with 3d gaming under it for flavour as an afterthought versus a mechanically great 3d game with flavour text. Its definitely an odd duck that expects you to know how to roleplay - and, specifically, roleplay in THAT game, because a lot of it's awesomeness is it punishing you and twisting you based on how hard you throw yourself into it. Underneath is just a clunky point and click unity game you wouldn't pay a fiver for, but if you put a bit of yourself into it, it is a massive headtrip. What I got out of it, playing a Mary Sue then finding myself trying to bend and shape my character just to pass checks when I was in the world was a game really judging the poo poo of me flipflopping the strength of my supposed convictions. And when I'd decide to tighten the reins on my role, then it was throwing all these inappropriate moments that my convictions were pulling me in the wrong direction. And THEN if I played middle of the road, it started chiding me as being boring.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

one of my fave things is that literally everyone in the game, including contrarian assholes and awesome people who play your straight man go "you know what, you do actually look like him" when you point it out

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone know what this means?

Code optimization? :shrug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I *am* Karl Marx.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Is there a way to get (thought) Finger on the eject button without (task/item) finding the gun? Pain threshold has recognised my character's suicidal ideation, but admonishes him for not having a gun to use. It does suggest there might be another way, though. I'm purposely not going out of my way to find his gun for in-character reasons - he's trying to keep himself from giving in to the temptation - but I figure that wouldn't stop the thought of it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
dipped out of this thread in case of spoilers but i'm dropping back in to say

i had to do a bunch of drugs and dump a bunch of skill points i was saving in order to pass the skill check but it was worth it to DANCE HARDER THAN ANY ONE HAS EVER DANCED BEFORE

even pulled rank on kim to get him in on the action and i talked to the soul of the city while i was at it

all in all game good spread love build communism

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Finished it about 10 minutes ago. Cheered out loud at the end when I got the achievement for recruiting Kim, especially on the heels of that speech about what a drat fine detective I was. I know it's not exactly controversial to love Kim but...I really love Kim.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

even pulled rank on kim to get him in on the action and i talked to the soul of the city while i was at it

Failing that check was surprisingly sad, you end up calling Kim a racial slur in, what I assume, what was supposed to be a playful manner. Kim gets mad and leaves the dance party

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Failing that check was surprisingly sad, you end up calling Kim a racial slur in, what I assume, what was supposed to be a playful manner. Kim gets mad and leaves the dance party

:(

also just finished it about 10 minutes ago, what a journey, absolutely beautiful story

i think i got the good ending but I'm sure i missed some stuff

almost lost it when the phasmid showed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

almost lost it when the phasmid showed up

Easily in my top five moments in gaming, I think.