Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

tripwood posted:

Fess up those who have finished, how many times did you cry during the game? I am man enough to admit to at least being choked up 3 times. Coach Physical Instrument wouldn't have approved.

There were a lot of heavy moments - the game certainly becomes more intense tone-wise around the mid-point or so.
Quite a few scenes hit an emotional high note with me - the (successful) karaoke, giving notice of the dead body, Sad FM, the phonecall, the intercom glitch, dreaming of Dolores Dei, heart-to-heart chats with Kim, etc, but oddly enough the one line that got me full-on ugly sobbing (probably the hardest I've ever cried at a videogame, actually) was "I'm glad to be me - an incredibly sensitive instrument". I struggle with self-worth a lot, and something about everything in the game that leads up to that scene made that sentence land perfectly with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Spoilery question on that subject, but I just wanted to make sure I actually squeezed all I could out of the hole in existence side-quest. I finished the task itself, did everything in Soona's questline, presented a theory, remixed the hellsound, danced and communed with the city and whatnot, but I didn't return to the church after the tribunal, instead doing a last check of things in the east side of the river but then just beelining for the island without checking up on the church, fishing village or the mural building. The last thing I got on that quest was Soona telling me she'd have to send word to her coworkers and wait for their reply, but I'm not sure if that's where it ends or if there's anything more before I head for the island.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Just replayed the tribunal scene and I think I know what my favorite voiced line in the game is.

"He never stops.
HE
ONLY
GETS
WORSE."

Overall the brain voices were definitely the highlight of the voice cast for me (were they really all voiced by the same person????? :psyduck:), and the second place is probably shared between Kim's VA and the guy who plays Measurehead :allears:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

And Finished my first playthrough. Wow...what a ride.

So The Deserter. Can you get him to give you a clear reason why he killed the merc? Or are we just suppose to infer that the Union Boss put him up to it?

You can get him to tell you why he *thinks* he did it. Might want to double check with your bug pal, though.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Broken Cog posted:

No, that's something different. I only got the other one on one of my runs, I think you have to start arguing with him about the legitimacy of the commune or something. Might require high encyclopedia.

What I got from that was when he says 'pederasty' he actually means homosexuality. Conflating the two is not only common in homophobic circles (old-timey ones in particular), 'pederast/pedophile' is literally the go-to slur against gay people in a lot of France, which is what Revachol is mostly based on. The commune legalizing 'pederasty' would match the historical equivalent of the bolsheviks decriminalizing homosexuality. The deserter is a really interesting character, but he's also kind of a bigoted piece of poo poo. He hates capital, as we all should, but he also hates women, gay people, young people, old people, foreigners, Revacholians, and anyone who kept living as he had to deal with his entire world being artillery-bombed into a mass grave while he slowly steamed in his own guilt, grief and bug drugs.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Caufman posted:

If you go 1/1/1/1, then Harry can barely recognize his keys.

Also, who are the people who think Harry is handsome? Lena, for sure. Measurehead, hard maybe?

Lilienne at the very least is willing to give Harry the time of day, and the balcony smoker seems to be partial to Harry in a "meat deli guy to Bob Belcher" kind of way.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

FistEnergy posted:

Can you reach the end of the Dick Mullen book? The pages always fall out when I try to read it.

no, but with high enough Conceptualization, you get the option to come up with an ending yourself. Maybe it WAS Dick Mullen all along! gently caress you, book!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Jack Trades posted:

That's why Inland Empire is one of my absolute favorite skills. It spoils the whole game plot for you but in the most useless way possible that you won't be able to understand until you get there properly.

If you have a high enough Inland Empire when you get one of your first Shivers prompts describing what's going on in all directions of the city, IE will quickly interject 'that's where the miracle is' when you get to the... north? whichever direction the island is in. I think there's a similar line if you use the coin-operated viewer that's pointing at the island.

lov too have a cryptic-to-the-point-of-uselessness tiny David Lynch in my brain

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

NecroMonster posted:

Welp, I finished this. I'm kind of not sure what to say. Did a very old, lonely and broken person really snipe that dude out of jealously and maybe being hopped up on weird rear end bug aura?

You gotta hand it to him, it was one hell of a shot.

e:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 26, 2020

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Oxxidation posted:

he was a commandant in the revolutionary army, you dingbat

what do you think they taught him there, crochet?

Almost! They taught him Mazovian dialectics and little else. He was a political officer, tasked with ensuring ideological rigor in his unit. He was also sixteen. It's explicitly clarified that he did not receive military training. Part of the reason he's so bitter and miserable is because his entire purpose for being stationed there was maintaining morale and discipline, and he was the first to flee. It's a "you had one loving job" situation.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I *think* that the dance check, along with the other important authority check you get at the Tribunal, has plenty of modifiers to allow for low-authority players to pass it comfortably as long as they haven't been playing an rear end in a top hat. But oof, yeah, I'd say failing that check's one of the few insta-savescum worthy moments in the game.

E: Make sure everyone else is dancing before you pull rank on Kim

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Did anything else ever come out of that announcement that Disco Elysium was getting a TV adaptation? I'm not holding my hopes up that anything will come to fruition (or that it'll be good if it happens), but I was up all night in deep thought about who would make the perfect Harry, and after binging GLOW I'm partial towards Marc Maron. He has that human trainwreck energy down pat.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

ultrafilter posted:

Who would play Kim?

For me, it's a toss-up between Daniel Dae Kim, BD Wong and Scarlett Johansson.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

CaptainPsyko posted:

My hot take is that Robert Pattinson would actually own here.

You can't just say that and NOT include this Lighthouse + Molchat Doma mashup

https://twitter.com/auroranocturnal/status/1339024684239581184?s=20

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8nfRjTGUQ

Stumbled into another long-form video-essay about DE. I liked the bit about "open" vs "closed" character creation in RPGs - I feel like deep down I *know* I will get more satisfaction from a (well-written) pre-made protagonist, even if my monkey brain always gravitates towards shiny fancy character creation systems where I'll invariably end up creating the same vaguely horny protagonist that always picks the nice dialog option except when there's a line that's really funny. But it's so hard to find an RPG where you're put in the shoes of a character who's 1) already a person and 2) already an interesting person.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Zeta Acosta posted:

i first played the game when it launched and in english, now its time to play it again on spanish. cant wait.

I was super excited for the Spanish translation so I could start hawking the game to friends and family, unfortunately the translation seems to be heavily Spanish-from-Spain, which usually wouldn't be a huge issue, but due to the way DE is written that means there's a lot of spanish slang that would be impenetrable to the casual latin american player.

nurmie posted:

Interesting that descriptions of these mention at least two skills—Volta do Mar and Behaviourism—that don't appear in Mr. Du Bois's skill set.

I assume the extended rule set of their roleplay system (can't remember the name for it) has more skills than the 24 that are in the game, and I also assume that you're limited to a certain amount of them when building a character or something. At least that would be cool.

They mention Volta do Mar in the game, it's what allowed people to actually traverse the Pale without sailing off into oblivion (named after a real-life Portuguese navigation technique, basically do a broad swerve to catch the best winds back to Europe). Since it's listed in red it might be what Kim has instead of Shivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

cuntman.net posted:

im gonna listen to measureheads entire monologue

can't wait to see which new words are randomly given a french pronunciation :allears: