Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I finally got to The Island which I assume is choo-choo train to endgame. But when I land I get an error when the game tries to save and it doesn't make a file.

A) Any fixes?

B) Is it feasible to just push through to the end? I can chunk in most of a day, if I know it's coming.

I played a bit and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. But had to lose the progress, obviously.

Also, high Motorics conflict resolution is messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Luckily a second try fixed the problem. Game completed, feels good. I was not the most blotchy cop. Though its hard to tell how much you usually feel that way.

As usual without spoilers the main things I can say are Hahaha hahaha or AHhhhhhhhh!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Jamais Vu and 15th Indotribe are solid early available ones.

Apricot Scented Gum is nice. (+2 perception straight up when done)

Lonesome Long Road Home is nice once you've a source of speed.

Sometimes raising skill caps is really good. Googling found me a DE wiki with most of the thoughts having an okay amount of info.

And of course, can't not take Ace's Low.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

TommyGun85 posted:

Ugh, I opened the secret compartment of the ledger, dropped it and passed out.

I thought I got a game over so when I clicked BEGIN and it started replaying the opening scene, I got annoyed and quickly clicked through it at random, before the game continued normally. Did I miss anything in that scene or is it literally the same as the opening scene?

It is a completely different scene with your Limbic System and friends.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

The core conceit of the game is a game over fakeout?

More perhaps the core conceit of the game is words are fun to read. (Exceptions include Measurehead.)

EDIT : Also, kind of impressed that someone who likes communism likes the game. It does seem to mostly describe it as an eternal gently caress up. I mean, the same for capitalism, admittedly.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks Reveilled that's a read I wouldn't have come up with on my own.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

The posting equivalent of trying to get the tie off the fan and dying.

No. It was the posting equivalent of pulling the cord marked light bulb. Then just staring into the bulb.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can read books, and sit on benches until 2am. After than point it's have a bed or softlock.

EDIT : If you want Kim to go to bed, go to the place you will sleep, and he will go to bed, freeing you from his judging gaze. He'll do this from about 10pm onwards IIRC?

And of course, anything that uses dialog trees can still pass time.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 11, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Unhelpful for your specific situation, but I would suggest always sorting out your sleeping arrangement much earlier in the day. frex, the pawn shop shuts at some point if you were needing to use it. It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of stuff gets weird in the code at 2am.

Keep a few manual saves going to limit frustration.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I just finished my playthrough, and ooh man was this good.

While I loved the game I don't think I'd play through it again with different attributes, it just wouldn't have the same appeal to me as this first playthrough. I'm curious about some of the things I missed.
I'll spend some time reading through the thread but in case anyone wants to answer any questions that would be great.

Was there much more to the Deserter? It seemed pretty cut and dry that he was the one who shot the mercenary. I was able to find out that he also killed the former union leader. But there was also the fact that the Phasmid was there. I failed the red check approaching it so I don't know if there was any more information to gleam off of it there

I also wanted to know more about Klaasje, I was able to get her to point me to Ruby but I didn't arrest her (although I immediately realized that was a bad idea), she ended up leaving before the mercenary showdown which went spectacularly bad for me, I didn't have my gun and wasn't able to difuse the situation. I was wearing armor though and it seemed to protect me from the first shot. In the end most of the Hardie boys didn't make it but I think I might have saved Kim by warning him? I'm not sure

Then there's Ruby, I feel like I definitely missed some things here. After encountering her I was able to convince her not to kill herself by letting her go. But she never came up again, I don't know if she was still around and I just didn't find her.

And finally the Church: Other than kicking out the dudes trying to setup a drug lab there I never really got any more info on this "hole in the world". Was it connected to anything? I have a feeling it's related to this "pale" thing? I had no idea that this was how this universe worked until the Pines rep told me about it, pretty terrifying stuff but I didn't really get much more into it other than that.

edit: Some pages back someone mentioned a dice maker? I never saw anyone like that. Did I miss like an entire section of the map or something?

Also, if you didn't (I don't know if you get forced to) have a nap in the room in the place you visit after a boat ride.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yes. It is relatively explicit. I think Tutorial Agent even pipes up to say "You won't be able to do things with X and Y after this". Also it's behind a couple of checks that are mostly Have You Done Enough Sidequests.

EDIT : And as the next poster says, time is not an explicit issue.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

FistEnergy posted:

The 4 part Phasmid questline finished after I refilled the last trap and talked to the wheelchair lady one last time before she left the city. Never actually found a Phasmid. Will it pick back up at some point, or did I miss finding something?

You are fine. Keep going.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
A bunch of options in Disco Elysium remind me of a GDC talk about evil options in RPGs and how they often aren't there to be taken, but to be turned down. (Which is also why bunch of games have being evil being kinda boring.)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Way I see it, turned out better than the alternatives. Just not evenly for everyone.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

TommyGun85 posted:

its clear that he cares and is hurt by your behaviour especially you telling him to gently caress off because he's holding you back.

Are there any more things besides doing drugs that I should do when Kim is not around, so fair Ive:

Hit on the woman at the docks.

Talked to Joyce about the Pale.

Stole the boots from the corpse.

Stole the speed from Cuno and from Klassje.

You can also do some of those with him around. :D

One thing that did catch me out is there's a few investigation things (like 'stepping closer') that don't work if Kim isn't with you and don't always SAY so.

EDIT:

Megazver posted:

The Feature That Almost Sank Disco Elysium | Audio Logs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

Thanks for linking this!

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 12, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. Hopefully Jean is not a satellite officer or whatever the term was.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Where the heck can I find some music to sing at kareoke? I've gotten to the "Hey if you go further poo poo is gonna go end game" wall on day 4 and want to round up a bunch of side stuff before rushing back it in to see where this poo poo goes.

Also Holy poo poo everything about the church so far has been insane and cool. The idiot musicians, the silent spot leading to the convo with the crab man , the Innocence, finally finishing the experiment and Harrier's theory on what it is. What a loving fantastic place.

Non spoiler part : It's across the canal. Wiki says it's in a shack, I think it's in the fenced backyard to the 'south' but maybe it's the little shack near the drunks? Been a while so brain is pretty vague sorry.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Something something 'pulling rank' something.

Measurehead is weird to me. Something in my seeing (be it brain or eyes or monitor size) means I don't look at the character models very much. So with the views of the character and the portrait I had assumed he looked like Theodore Roosevelt with his face tattoo'd blue. Which meant I completely skipped any of the irony of the character the thread has brought up. It was only in the SA LP when I saw he's meant to be at least tanned, and presumably a POC?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think it's only 8hours canonically. :P

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I would say you should tweet that at ZA/UM but I don't know if that would stop them using the idea

EDIT : But that is awesome

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also explains why Kim is so eye rolling if you make a fuss over the centrefold posters

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I kind of want a poll of how many people remove The Expression, and/or shave

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also, Batman having a total identity failure and having to piece himself back together is very fitting for some brands of Batman whether it's from stress or from villains chemistry. Or from someone like Ra'as breaking a not-Batman and trying to remake him into a Batman.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
He is Revachol born and bred, but yeah, I can see how that would itch.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Your OOC perception is probably more important. Gotta wander through a hole in a fence S ish of bridge. SE of the drunks. IGN has a wiki page with a picture of where the tape is. https://uk.ign.com/wikis/disco-elysium/Sing_karaoke

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright. In my SA GotY blurb I said DE is "The Best Game I'll Never Finish".
I aim to fix that.
I bounced off the game on day 3. I came to realize one of the problems I was having is that I can never not be myself. I have bad problem solving skills and have severe conflict aversion. I made my character a roughneck with Authority as a signature skill envisioning myself as a "Bernie Brute" (look, somebody's gotta get their knuckles bloody). But that just isn't me. Also I didn't understand that Authority and "Authoritarian" are inextricably linked. Which was dumb.

So now I'm running a 4-4-2-2 build (wheras my previous run was 2-4-4-2) with Logic as my signature skill. I would have gone 5-5-1-1 but A: I was scared to only have one health and B: I had no idea how I would get to the docks with that build outside of getting real lucky or save scumming.

So I'm 45 minutes into that build and am already having more fun and am much more comfortable. Also I solved a major problem by taking off my pants.
I made the jump to the docks first try. But my only pair of pants was the first pair of pants. Which gives - Savoir Faire. And as you probably know it's a Savoir Faire check. So off they went

There are other ways to that place. It is like half the point of Measurehead

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My first run was 2/2/2/6 Steam thinks 30 hours though I did a bunch of stuff and replayed some bits. Once I play again, tempted to try 2/4/4/2 for some Inland Empire and Shivers. But giving up my old friends Reaction Speed and Composure is gonna sting they give so much practical lowkey advice.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

There are two ways around Meterhead
Buy into his poo poo advance race theory. No.
Overpower him. I couldn't even do that with my guy specced for doing that

Unless there's something I haven't figured out [/spoiler]Jumping was the only real choice[/spoiler].

There are a bunch of ways. some are more costly than others. I think the Scab Leader can give you a tip if you whiff a punch?
And of course, you can Forget thoughts. Remembering your starting shoes and pants have -1 SavFaire each can definitely help with acrobatics instead though.

I wonder if you can ever just acrobat the tree. Hmm.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

I think it's really interesting how being low skilled silences voices really works to reinforce roleplay. Pretty much the only time Composure piped up in my 5/4/2/1 run was to panic real hard. I kept picking up negatives to authority such that I was in the negatives most of the game, and I don't think I heard from it more than once or twice, which meant I was never encouraged to get confrontational. I guess I'm kind of the opposite to you, I can hardly imagine what this game is like without Encyclopedia, Drama and Conceptualisation piping up all the goddamn time, or Inland Empire practically screaming WRONG WRONG WRONG like a backseat gamer when initially I turned down the pheremones.

Composure is basically the Motoric version of Empathy/Drama/Half-light. It's great. Reaction Speed though, Reaction speed is so fing good at "You have to interrupt them now" or "No, you gotta wait him out." I don't think it gave more options but gave usually not-botch hints on them. I wish I got a little more Interfacing spoopiness though. But there's enough and it's good.

EDIT : Regarding the vodka Evart seems to have no idea about it, at least with my skills reads on him. Obviously, maybe I got played.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Kind of tangental but a youtube video from the Royal Institute about having conversations with yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95otBlepVHc

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Ham sandwich sounds more like a slur against horny cops to me.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can do a little at least. But mostly having high Motorics, being high as a kite lets you do it regardless.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Bottles do not respawn afaik, money is limited (to varying degrees). Regarding rooms and such, beforeiplay has useful info depending on how blind you want to be.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thoughts such at 15th Indotribe, Wompty Dom, and Indirect Modes of Taxation make that incredibly difficult to work out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You have to know you need money. And probably talk about other stuff first.

If you are unsure about the world, ask Lena at Whirling Rags about your memory issues. She looks smart, I'm sure she'll help you figure it out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you want to keep the body you'll need to have a reason to, like doubting your autopsy results. Or just not tell Kim to drive off with it which I did when my Motorics 6 guy just found everything out first time. The SA LP has covered one such route, but obviously chances at spoilers.

Have you visited the bookshop?

The wall is always kind of tricky. Talking about graffiti can help. Time can too evening in this case

The skill checks are pretty simple. It's 2d6 plus your skill and mods. Note though that the passive checks in conversation (the interjections) are apparently unrolled at 6+skill. You don't see a lot of the failures there, but if you do see one and it irks you can try to load and adjust. Also just know that reloading itself won't change them.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The 'Give Figurines to Dolores Dei' task really hit me.

My first run I kept running into thoughts about the stuff in the last dream though. Interfacing 6 makes for some crazy muscle memory on phone dials.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

RattiRatto posted:

About to start this game since so many friends recommended it to me.
Going in completely spoiler free - any must know before i get in?

The BeforeIPlay on it is solid http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Disco_Elysium but your value of spoiler free may vary.

Otherwise just because I cannot remember how much of the controls the game ever tells you.:
Autosaves are kind of far apart. F1 is a Help screen. F5, and F9 are quicksave/load. Don't savescum, but losing progress sucks too.
Double-click to run.
Time only passes by talking/doing things.
Tab to highlight interactables.
If you are about to hit 0 health or morale you can use a healing item still by clicking on the stat before the bar hits 0.
Right click can equip/unequip if dragging is a drag.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'll admit to having save scummed some moments. Like dancing. But my advice stands at the level of 'broad starting advice'. Apologies if the tone was off.

Most notably some of the coolest/most glorious/funniest moments lie behind failures. White and Red.

I should really let myself hit 0 health or morale sometime and see how those go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Imhotep posted:

Ok cool, I’ll definitely get them if they go on sale, cause both bundles are like 50 bucks. Seems like they’d be dirt cheap on PC tho, given how old they are.

Note : Planescape Torment is the one that is weird and cool and expressive with lots of talking and stuff. (And cool Planescape flavour and factions.) I seem to recall Max Wisdom was the meta for some reason? Like, it boosted XP gain and was the big talking stat check?

Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series are straight up D&D RPGs. Icewind being more fighty but both will have you chopping up baddies as a big part of your time. I've fond memories, but they aren't like Disco Elysium.