Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't think this can happen anymore, with the proliferation of YouTubers, social media, reddit, Discord, forums etc - word of mouth flies MUCH faster and the communities who loved those kinds of games are rabid for more of the same. So my third state fear is more along the lines of there being an amazing beginning and then it runs out of steam over 60 hours, which is a *long* RPG for a small team. But as I said in a previous post, they have had a long time working on this game and everything we've seen so far is really impressive.

As someone who loves Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol, it's not really a lack of attention that made those game underappreciated but rather the fact that they're both very flawed games. That's my concern with this game. Look very cool and interesting but I hope it doesn't fail at the basic element of being fun to play, which is something these kind of games often have a problem with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Just finished the game. I only heard about Disco Elysium a few weeks before release and thought that it sounded cool but will probably end up disappointing on some level. Boy was I wrong on the second part, this is one of those very rare games that not only didn't disappoint but far exceeded my expectations. Didn't ever think a computer game could be as well-written as DE. It manages to be absurdly funny one moment and poignant or tragic the next without ever feeling like it skipped a beat. The game looks great too with the style of everything looking like a painting. It's also about as bug-free as an RPG has ever been, especially one of this depth. There were a handful of typos hidden in the mountains of text and there was an issue where sometimes shirts would be invisible until I restarted the program. Usually in these kind of RPGs it feels like navigating a minefield of game-breaking glitches.

Insanely good game, game of the century. Only problem is that it's one of those rare games that's so good that every other game is going to seem quite a bit duller now.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I get down.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I grind.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Also, I'm confused about how I feel about Everet. I was with him at first because communism, gently caress yeah! Then I saw what he was trying to do to the fishing village and got annoyed so I had the drunks forge the signature for him. But then when I went back and confronted him on it he was forthright about his plan and, while ambitious and lovely and not a sure thing it did seem like he had thought things through and wanted what's best for the worst off. On the other hand the two women living in the fishing village seem to have pretty good lives and I'd feel bad forcing them out... am... am I a moralist now?

Everet doesn't really care about communism. It's just a tool for him to gain power and wealth and status for himself. For a guy of his background becoming a union boss just happened to be the surest path to those things. He's a politician at heart, his most important skill is making people think his beliefs are genuine.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

Thing is, either you're wrong, or he's so amazingly good that he consistently fools your Empathy skill every single time no matter how high it is. Empathy is generally very good at telling you what people really feel when they say things and it consistently tells you that Evrart means what he says re: social democracy.

Like Caidin posted, your skills are not infallible. There's already one character who can sabotage several of your skills, there's no reason to think Everet couldn't do the same to just one. As I said, he's a politician, convincing people that his beliefs are genuine is what he does and that can include convincing himself.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Nah he'd be pissed, he'd just make sure not to show it to your face, as a power play.

outside of the youth center thing is there any proof that Everat is corrupt other than aesthetics? I only felt with him once past the 3rd day and everything got I mean forced out of my head but all the new poo poo.

Have you finished the game yet? If not don't continue reading: The whole thing is a drug smuggling ring, that's how he's financed thousands of workers going without paychecks during the strike and how the harbor plans to survive after going independent. In addition, he and his brother got where they are because they had the previous union boss assassinated. He's a corruption elemental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Performing an autopsy while a couple of lovely kids are constantly yelling over us hoping/thinking that my partner and I are, in fact, going to gently caress the corpse, was solid gold comedy with some amazing dialogue. Being able to yell the most immature poo poo over the autopsy I'm performing while my partner is just trying not to gag is just absolutely amazing. This game's writing is so good. I still love CDPR and Obsidian and whichever teams put together Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but this is a whole other level.

Edit: This game lets you play as Charlie Kelly basically and it's the best thing I never knew I needed.

loving up the red check with the chaincutters to get the belt off the guy and Cuno shouting "my pig is hardcore!" was the proudest I've ever felt.

Harrow posted:

To go back to what Oxxidation said, I was being short-sighted there, but Evrart also comes off as genuine to Drama and Volition as well. It's not just Empathy that thinks he's legit. Maybe I didn't have the right skills, but none of my skills said that he wasn't legit. Meanwhile, with Klaasje, a couple of my skills wanted me to believe her (especially Drama) but Volition overrode them pretty hard. That doesn't happen with Evrart--even Volition doesn't seem to think he's not being genuine.

Whether Everet is genuine or full of poo poo isn't a key component of the case like Klaasje's deception, so volition doesn't really have reason to go into overdrive there. It would also make Everet a much less interesting character if one of your skills just piped up and proclaimed him a liar. I think it's an intentional choice to let the audience form their own opinion of Everet's character.