Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Most other RPGs can (and should) offer extensive character customization and gender swap options because most other RPGs are basically wish-fulfilment power fantasies with blank-slate protagonists and therefore no reason not to offer those options, because, being wish-fulfilment fantasies, they don't delve into the more uncomfortable parts of life like discrimination, misogyny, racism, sexism or similar, and so flipping your avatar's gender or race is easy to do without any additional work beyond changing around some pronouns and adding some art assets.

DE does delve into all those uncomfortable topics, and that's why if it were to offer a gender choice, it would absolutely need those additional 100k words or more to do that choice justice. Similarly how it would also need a lot of extra words to accommodate a character who's younger, older, gayer or of a different race, because all of that is taken into account in character interactions in this world.

Bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

They are planing to do a sequel where you play as a woman 5 months into pregnancy.

Oh Dei it’s not going to be Harry’s ex is it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh Dei it’s not going to be Harry’s ex is it?

From the interview, it sounded more like an idle suggestion than THEY HAVE ALREADY DRAWN UP PLANS FOR THIS.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A significant part of Disco Elysium is exploring toxic masculinity so its not like this is a "cool hard-boiled detective" thing.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
You guys are missing the point, the tweet is pretty clearly about the hyperbole of the ad copy being like, UNLIMITED FREEDOM (which is always bullshit), not condemning strictly and exactly the fact that you can only play a dude.

ShelticRule
Oct 3, 2019
I've really been enjoying this, but have run into a section that bores me to tears, and I guess I want enough of a spoiler to tell me whether it can be skipped:

Egg Head and his crew and his annoying dialogue, which one of his friends says is a puzzle... I simply do not care!
I have talked to "spiderman" in the church, but not whoever else is in there. I am pretty sure that Ruby is under the Feld building, but I turned back when Kim warned me that that approaching her would set off greater forces. (Not really crazy about that, since I ought to be able to interview her privately without the other forces knowing. But whatever.) I know that the three kids were planning to manufacture drugs, but have now promised to stick to music. I have no idea how to get to the small islands. I do not have my gun back.

Logically speaking, these annoying kids are not mission critical. But in game terms?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It needs to be said that, regarding the white male protagonist, this white male protagonist isn't a square jawed ultra-male like every other game in history. They very specifically made a character that no one would actually want to be, and this is absolutely not a power fantasy. We're basically playing a cross between Tyrion Lannister and the William H Macy character from Shameless. I want so badly for more of this world. Sequels, spin offs, books, DLC, whatever. We need more of this.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ixjuvin posted:

You guys are missing the point, the tweet is pretty clearly about the hyperbole of the ad copy being like, UNLIMITED FREEDOM (which is always bullshit), not condemning strictly and exactly the fact that you can only play a dude.

I mean, yeah, but you can ALWAYS pick holes in any "unlimited X" statement.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShelticRule posted:

I've really been enjoying this, but have run into a section that bores me to tears, and I guess I want enough of a spoiler to tell me whether it can be skipped:

Egg Head and his crew and his annoying dialogue, which one of his friends says is a puzzle... I simply do not care!
I have talked to "spiderman" in the church, but not whoever else is in there. I am pretty sure that Ruby is under the Feld building, but I turned back when Kim warned me that that approaching her would set off greater forces. (Not really crazy about that, since I ought to be able to interview her privately without the other forces knowing. But whatever.) I know that the three kids were planning to manufacture drugs, but have now promised to stick to music. I have no idea how to get to the small islands. I do not have my gun back.

Logically speaking, these annoying kids are not mission critical. But in game terms?

The kids are completely a side quest, though they (and the scientist in the church) do lead to a very, very interesting side quest. If you want the answer to that dialogue tree: the question is "what is the question?"

Per some of the other things you've mentioned (these are a "hints about where to find some things you didn't find yet" spoiler): You can't get to the islands yet. You can get your gun back if you work with (or pretend to work with) Evrart.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 22, 2019

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ShelticRule posted:

That one was super annoying, I ended up just running through each branch of the dialog tree and re-trying until I got the correct result.

It's not required to finish the game, so if you're not feeling it and just wanna get on with the story, skip it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there any explanation in the game regarding the original name, "No Truce w/ Furies"? I saw a blurb about it in game regarding case naming, but wasn't sure if Furies are a thing in the game I'm going to get acquainted with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShelticRule posted:

the "puzzle" is kind of facetious. just exhaust his dialogue tree and you'll crack him

the church sidequest is one of the most important ones in the game, and at the bare minimum you'll want to identify the true nature of the 2mm hole that Soona's on about

approaching Ruby under the Feld building kicks off the game's final arc. you can gently caress about indefinitely until then

if you want your gun back then you'll have to crack neck for the fat man. get Evrart his signatures

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wow, I started a second playthrough as a muscle bound idiot, and I'm already seeing things I haven't in the first run. Like, I now have a high enough interfacing skill check to pull out the compartment in the ledger and discover the significance of the smell of apricots.

I've also chosen not to look at the mirror and it seems your portrait will stay its blurred stage. However, you can still use the expression on Klassje in the first scene, and succeeding actually got me a whole new series of questions that I never got before.

Also I loving floored measure head, gently caress that dude.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Is there any explanation in the game regarding the original name, "No Truce w/ Furies"? I saw a blurb about it in game regarding case naming, but wasn't sure if Furies are a thing in the game I'm going to get acquainted with.

its a poem, but you don't need to know it or know what the furies were. a bit of knowledge of literature and mythology doesnt hurt though

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Literally the first sentence of the game is an explanation to that. It's a quote from R.S. Thomas, Reflections:

quote:

The furies are at home
in the mirror; it is their address.
Even the clearest water,
if deep enough can drown.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

https://www.poeticous.com/r-s-thomas/reflections

I believe the Furies are the voices in your head.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Is there any point in taking Rene's medal? Any follow-up to make it something interesting to do? It feels like an intensely cuntish thing to do to him so unless there's some good payoff I don't want to.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Davincie posted:

its at the very end

Thanks! I've been slowly watching all my old tasks disappear from the log and, for once, not being replaced with twenty more tasks, so I'm trying to knock out as much outstanding poo poo as I can before I progress the main case much further. Really impressed with the "mystery" so far, it's kept me glued to the screen trying to figure out how everything comes together.

The only real criticism I have with this game is the map, both the map screen and the game map itself. Obviously I would have liked a minimap or a You Are Here arrow on the map screen, but it wouldn't have been necessary if the game map wasn't so obtuse and hard to navigate. They really should have done something to differentiate walkable path from nonwalkable areas, or areas you can't path to from where you are. I lost track of the amount of times where it looked like I should be able to get from one place to another easily but couldn't -- the backyard of the Whirling is a perfect example, the ONLY way in is apparently the broken fence, and then there's no way to get to the other side of the crumbling fence without running halfway across town past a dozen other points of interest. I was stuck for a while after talking to Measurehead because it LOOKS like there's more map beyond him that I was supposed to get to, but in reality you've got to find your way up a non-obvious stack of containers.

I appreciated the Thought that lets you zoom out further, but it's kind of a tease for a mechanic that should have been built in from the start. You oughta be able to scroll the screen like in every other Baldur's Gate-type game, too. Especially towards the end of the game, I've been running back and forth from place to place and having to click every step of the way through, and I would be 100% less frustrated by all the backtracking if I could just scroll to the destination, click to walk there, and let my detective sort out the walking while I browse the internet or something.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I would've liked to see a dot on the map representing where you are, but only if you have high Shivers.

Being able to track your gun on your own would be nice too. You should be able ask the pawn shop guy who the woman was and what she looked like or ask about her in the village.

Neurosis posted:

Is there any point in taking Rene's medal? Any follow-up to make it something interesting to do? It feels like an intensely cuntish thing to do to him so unless there's some good payoff I don't want to.

The payoff is you being a dick to him. And a stat bonus.

itry fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 22, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
where is pry bar the second

I found a no-turning back choice so I don't think there's much more to progress here

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

I found a no-turning back choice so I don't think there's much more to progress here

The woman in the church gives it to you.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Have you gone through the church stuff?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Is there anything important in Cuno's shack? The game crashes every time I try to get in there.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Is there anything important in Cuno's shack? The game crashes every time I try to get in there.

One of the ways to get into harbor, some items that you can speak to Cuno about

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Where specifically is the fish market?

I'm supposed to be meeting the person who has my gun there, but the market and the village don't appear to be the same.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm supposed to be meeting the person who has my gun there, but the market and the village don't appear to be the same.

northwest of the village

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OscarDiggs posted:

It's the boardwalk north of the village.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

frajaq posted:

northwest of the village

:smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is extremely impressive how naturally and smoothly this game seems to be able to swing between :smith:, :unsmith:, and :catdrugs:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sure, finance them for another five years and they could've.

Out of all games, picking on the one that literally puts you inside the character's head for not providing gender choice options is kinda ridiculous. The game is absolutely written with this specific middle-aged male character in mind and the way the world reacts to you and you to the world reflects that.

Most other RPGs can (and should) offer extensive character customization and gender swap options because most other RPGs are basically wish-fulfilment power fantasies with blank-slate protagonists and therefore no reason not to offer those options, because, being wish-fulfilment fantasies, they don't delve into the more uncomfortable parts of life like discrimination, misogyny, racism, sexism or similar, and so flipping your avatar's gender or race is easy to do without any additional work beyond changing around some pronouns and adding some art assets.

DE does delve into all those uncomfortable topics, and that's why if it were to offer a gender choice, it would absolutely need those additional 100k words or more to do that choice justice. Similarly how it would also need a lot of extra words to accommodate a character who's younger, older, gayer or of a different race, because all of that is taken into account in character interactions in this world.

I had an inferior response to this situation than this so I'm just gonna quote it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sure, finance them for another five years and they could've.

Out of all games, picking on the one that literally puts you inside the character's head for not providing gender choice options is kinda ridiculous. The game is absolutely written with this specific middle-aged male character in mind and the way the world reacts to you and you to the world reflects that.

:emptyquote:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

(Leather jackets)

Kim's the best :allears:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting doing the favor Joyce asked of me. I've spoken to Everet, who basically admitted drug trafficking. I talked to the racist lorry driver, the chill one, and the terrifying woman who Kim won't let me bother (who maybe stole my gun?) Any ideas on how to move this along?

Also, I'm confused about how I feel about Everet. I was with him at first because communism, gently caress yeah! Then I saw what he was trying to do to the fishing village and got annoyed so I had the drunks forge the signature for him. But then when I went back and confronted him on it he was forthright about his plan and, while ambitious and lovely and not a sure thing it did seem like he had thought things through and wanted what's best for the worst off. On the other hand the two women living in the fishing village seem to have pretty good lives and I'd feel bad forcing them out... am... am I a moralist now?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you are missing one lorry driver

also no progress without sacrifice comrade

Davincie fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 22, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting doing the favor Joyce asked of me. I've spoken to Everet, who basically admitted drug trafficking. I talked to the racist lorry driver, the chill one, and the terrifying woman who Kim won't let me bother (who maybe stole my gun?) Any ideas on how to move this along?

Also, I'm confused about how I feel about Everet. I was with him at first because communism, gently caress yeah! Then I saw what he was trying to do to the fishing village and got annoyed so I had the drunks forge the signature for him. But then when I went back and confronted him on it he was forthright about his plan and, while ambitious and lovely and not a sure thing it did seem like he had thought things through and wanted what's best for the worst off. On the other hand the two women living in the fishing village seem to have pretty good lives and I'd feel bad forcing them out... am... am I a moralist now?

you can talk to the third driver when kim's not around. he'll let you be when you go to your room after 21:00

your conflicted feelings about Evrart are intended. he is probably a legitimate social democrat who wants power in the hands of the union, but he's also a sleazy, duplicitous greaseball who revels in the harm he brings to others and has provided no confidence that his way of doing things will be any less toxic than the ultra-liberals'. it's not necessarily moralist or centrist to see the faults in him, but a consistent theme in DE is that no ideology is free from corruption and it's hard to see any of them offering a path to a better future

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Everet doesn't really care about communism. It's just a tool for him to gain power and wealth and status for himself. For a guy of his background becoming a union boss just happened to be the surest path to those things. He's a politician at heart, his most important skill is making people think his beliefs are genuine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Everet doesn't really care about communism. It's just a tool for him to gain power and wealth and status for himself. For a guy of his background becoming a union boss just happened to be the surest path to those things. He's a politician at heart, his most important skill is making people think his beliefs are genuine.

Thing is, either you're wrong, or he's so amazingly good that he consistently fools your Empathy skill every single time no matter how high it is. Empathy is generally very good at telling you what people really feel when they say things and it consistently tells you that Evrart means what he says re: social democracy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 22, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

Thing is, either you're wrong, or he's so amazingly good that he consistently fools your Empathy skill every single time no matter how high it is.

Your skills are valuable counsel to be sure, but Everett would not necessarily be the first to circumvent some of them.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I just want to say that I was surprised how :unsmith: the first few days can be if you try to pull yourself together and be a good cop. Did not expect that from how day 1 and day 2 started.

Randler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Thing is, either you're wrong, or he's so amazingly good that he consistently fools your Empathy skill every single time no matter how high it is. Empathy is generally very good at telling you what people really feel when they say things and it consistently tells you that Evrart means what he says re: social democracy.

empathy is easily duped by strong displays of emotion, it's the holy trinity of empathy/drama/volition that can really lock down people's lies, at least in the Psyche tree

but none of the three contradict Evrart's testimony when he gets heated so your original point stands