Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

She could be loving green and it wouldn’t matter.

She has always been about half green and nobody's ever been upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, can we go back to the moment where I was pleased and impressed that we weren't going to do exactly this?

Forget it LL, it's Shoogaslimtown

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

South Park: Joining the Panderverse.

"Herro, welcome to City Woke, can I take your order prease?"

Was an enjoyable special, but also good as it seems they wrapped up the storylines so they aren't going to a two parter special like the others have been.

Making the show full of diverse women put 12 voice actors in the credits.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I'm glad we got the return of galactic cruisers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Great episode. I wish they'd left Cartman as a black woman because she was great and I think they could have kept that joke going a while; I'd have taken a whole season of it.

PC Principal being totally unphased by the whole thing was great.

Female Butters singing a "R&B" version of "I've got some apples" was probably the high point.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2023

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Good timing

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/1717985023700197624

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Man, their conversation with PC Principal was just like some of the ones I've had around here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is one of the most pathetic tweets I've ever seen.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

I mean, yeah?

Getting angry at the race of the actor portraying a character is still getting mad at their race. Ariel having luminescent white skin is somehow not integral to the story of the little mermaid, despite how badly the right wing outrage machine wants it to be. She could be loving green and it wouldn’t matter.

Notice how no one ever complained for decades when white people portrayed non-white characters until the racism drat started to break down and become unsustainable.

There was a point in cinema where Asian people were almost exclusively played by white people with extremely racist accents and facial expressions.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I feel like movie companies are going to journalists/websites and saying "look at all this hate we got". This amplifies and publicizes the hate and creates an atmosphere where it's impossible to actually discuss the movies. This is atmosphere would be convenient if you are someone who makes garbage.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

PaybackJack posted:

Great episode. I wish they'd left Cartman as a black woman because she was great and I think they could have kept that joke going a while; I'd have taken a whole season of it.

PC Principal being totally unphased by the whole thing was great.

Female Butters singing a "R&B" version of "I've got some apples" was probably the high point.

Kyle's mom loving that content :discourse:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh. That looks worse. Like, I have no interest in the movie either way, but the CGI live action dwarves are horrifying and I do not enjoy looking at them.

I ended up enjoying the special more than I thought I would. I thought they handled the subject matter surprisingly well, they made it clear the diversity casting wasn't the problem (and in fact often comes from a well meaning place) the problem is the laziness of just telling the same story over again instead of trying to make new original content.

The voice actors the got for the "everyone is a gay woman of color" universe were all great, but I think female Butters was my favorite. She really captured Butters panicked energy, and I loved her cover of "got some apples".

My one complaint: you actually can transfer Baldurs Gate 3 saves between PC and PS5, major fact checking fumble there.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The problem, of course, is that the chuds never see it this way, they view it as the show supporting their side 100%. Anything from the show that supports the other side is just irony.

Or maybe they're just successfully playing both sides and I'm falling for it, idk.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartman is representing those people though. Just not at all in a positive manner.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqvUGHO9JQ

I'm entering territory I don't remember at all. I might have seen eps here and here from this point on, we shall see, but I don't remember these first three eps of Season 8 at all. Also fart jokes normally do nothing for me but what an absolutely perfect ending to a perfect episode. I laughed so hard. It's just so unexpected and then the look on Eric's face as his "fuhrer" Daffy Ducks away.

But I do have to comment on something. I loved the episode with them getting ninja weapons and then Make Believing until Butters got really hurt. But what I wanted to comment on is finding that balance between an entirely zany and thus un-serious story and something more serious. The Simpsons would do this, you'd go from an episode which was entirely kooky and a joke to one which had real consequences and lessons. Sitcoms do this a lot, too, at least ones I like such as Frasier. Some episodes are entirely "logic be damned, this is funny" while others have legitimate and serious concerns and character development. Early South Park was always nonsense but since then it's kinda gotten more serious and because of that I felt actually bad for Butters with a goddamn ninja star in his eye wandering around in delirious agony all episode. And with things becoming a bit more serious, the ever present question of "why are they actually friends with wannabe Hitler" becomes more pressing, too.

But so far I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the last one.

There's a point at which some of the writing in the later seasons starts to feel Simpsons-esque.

"So he has us in a checkmate?/No, it's more like a royal flush." in The Cissy sticks out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1719241748910612663

i know it's elon musk and all, but could you miss the entire point of this special any harder? your awful takes being "represented" by one of the most deplorable characters in television and you think it's somehow supporting your arguments..jesus

https://twitter.com/Samita30519476/status/1719250516310421664

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 3, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Appropriate malapropism.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I caught up with this episode and the whole thing felt confused, not really the kind of thing you could extract a meaningful critique from. The solution to the deskilling crisis makes no sense, most of the Kathleen Kennedy material including even basic issues like which scripts she helped produce... The show obviously wants to make fun of Cartman's argument by extending it to the point of absurdity, but it's not really stunting on the guy because his nightmare world is actually a genuine reality that's threatening to merge with and destroy the show's regular setting.

It was one of their more energised recent scripts, but not particularly cogent.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I just watched the “Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich” episode and it’s aged so badly I’m surprised it’s not out of general rotation. It’s almost depressing to watch despite the pretty good Puff Daddy and Peta bits.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

nah it's actually an all timer and applicable every single election cycle without fail

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Aged badly? That episode hits politics on the nose. Politicians are lying scumbags and things are going to suck no matter who wins. Everyone insists their guy is better and they only want you to participate if you support them. The only thing that was missing was Cartman being an actual lobbyist by getting paid to manipulate the school staff/government.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean I do have misgivings about that episode, especially when politically ignorant people just spout it off every 4 years without considering anything about the broader context of the episode or what's happened in the real world since then. That being said, it's hard to argue with its central idea about the dissonance between people desperately trying to convince you that it's irresponsible not to vote, and the reality of being completely unmotivated by either candidate. (Which, by the way, is a different message than "it literally doesn't matter which one you vote for".)

It also always reminds me of this moment from the 2016 season, which will always stick out to me as one of their best political satire scenes ever, despite the season as a whole being a bit of a misfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqKFlU7YAs

It's pretty clear that they genuinely wish people had gotten over it and voted for Hillary instead of Trump, despite also labeling her as a "turd sandwich".

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 13, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheFattestPat posted:

Aged badly? That episode hits politics on the nose. Politicians are lying scumbags and things are going to suck no matter who wins. Everyone insists their guy is better and they only want you to participate if you support them. The only thing that was missing was Cartman being an actual lobbyist by getting paid to manipulate the school staff/government.

I’m so sick of people running with this.

Could all of our politicians be better? Absolutely.

Are most or all of them lovely? Totally.

Are they all equally bad? Absolutely not.

Are we really going to run with the idea that the politicians supporting abortion restrictions and restriction of birth control, the genocide of gay and trans people, extreme tax cuts for the wealthy paid for by safety net cuts, etc etc are just as bad as the people who want legal weed, nationalized healthcare, access to abortion, and equal right for everyone regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or race? Come the gently caress on now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I do believe Douche and Turd was applicable in 2004 when it aired as that had been the sentiment for decades. Hell, Simpsons had "don't blame me, I voted for Kodos" 8 years prior. But in 2004, Roe v Wade being revoked, for instance, was inconceivable. Both candidates still suck, but suggesting that they still suck equally is code for "I don't actually pay attention and I'm trying to spin that as a reason I'm superior".

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't subscribe to the whole both parties are the same thing. The Republicans would never codify gay marriage into law. That being said, at the end of the day, they are far too similar. The stances on war for example have always been universally the same. I remember under Trump he got bipartisan support for not only his stupid Space Force but also for the Air Force to use Native heritage ground as testing for airstrikes. And for all the ways Democrats love talking about abortion rights and legalizing drugs nationwide, they have yet to make it real the same way that after those Parkland school shootings, Republicans jumped up to make shooter drills a thing in schools, and actually get talked about loving giving teachers guns to take out potential threats. It would be so easy for the Democratic party to live up to their promises and it would give them so much good will too, but they don't ever do it.

Like back when Roe v Wade was nulled out of existence, there were a number of measures Biden could have easily fell back on. But he didn't do it. And far, FAR too many Democrats, even people like AOC and Bernie Sanders outright support arming Israel right now. Douche and Turd still rings true for me, but it's less about that episode and more about that old Simpsons gif about how the Republicans are openly evil and Democrats are too spineless to get anything done.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

I don't subscribe to the whole both parties are the same thing. The Republicans would never codify gay marriage into law. That being said, at the end of the day, they are far too similar. The stances on war for example have always been universally the same. I remember under Trump he got bipartisan support for not only his stupid Space Force but also for the Air Force to use Native heritage ground as testing for airstrikes. And for all the ways Democrats love talking about abortion rights and legalizing drugs nationwide, they have yet to make it real the same way that after those Parkland school shootings, Republicans jumped up to make shooter drills a thing in schools, and actually get talked about loving giving teachers guns to take out potential threats. It would be so easy for the Democratic party to live up to their promises and it would give them so much good will too, but they don't ever do it.

Like back when Roe v Wade was nulled out of existence, there were a number of measures Biden could have easily fell back on. But he didn't do it. And far, FAR too many Democrats, even people like AOC and Bernie Sanders outright support arming Israel right now. Douche and Turd still rings true for me, but it's less about that episode and more about that old Simpsons gif about how the Republicans are openly evil and Democrats are too spineless to get anything done.

I feel like you nailed to a T the exact response someone who likes to act informed, but isn’t would make.

It has been proven that armed teachers are significantly more dangerous that ones that aren’t.

It has been proven, statistically and otherwise, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again that the amount of guns are the problem. So no republicans do not points for talking about arming teachers.

And democrats haven’t had universal power since Obama, and that was only for 2 years IIRC. Democrats have been 100% unable on a federal level to enact any meaningful legislation because they have NOT been in control in all 3 chambers and there are no longer any reasonable republicans. This isn’t even considering the face that there are 2 pseudo-republicans (Sinemma & Manchin) who have been even further blocking meaningful legislation. Republicans did have full control under trump for 2 years and also managed to do jack poo poo with it.

And sure, let’s talk about abortion access. Biden did as absolutely much as he could. He ensured easy, over the counter access to plan-b. He made it so states it was difficult for states to block mailed abortion medication. He ensured the military offered enhanced abortion access. There’s more I’m missing. There was also always the risk that Biden went hard enough to trigger a federal lawsuit, which would allow a crazy court to put a hold on some of things he was able to accomplish.

Would you like to know how to get rid of democrats that are too focused on war and lovely neo-lib policies?

It’s elect enough democrats so the issues they win on (abortion, weed, social safety nets, healthcare, whatever) are codified into law. Once those are codified into law, the moderates no longer can stand on those issues and can be primaried with more liberal, effective democrats. It’s so painfully obvious yet we keep running in this cycle of “many democrats also support lovely policies so I might as well let all my rights get taken away :colbert:

Allowing republicans to be elected via apathy and both sides-isms just means you get to keep fighting for the same basic rights you believe in over and over and allowing moderates to win toeing that line while pushing their own lovely agendas.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Douche and Turd still rings true for me, but it's less about that episode and more about that old Simpsons gif about how the Republicans are openly evil and Democrats are too spineless to get anything done.

That seems too generous. Both sides are evil and will screw you over the first chance they get.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

TheFattestPat posted:

That seems too generous. Both sides are evil and will screw you over the first chance they get.

Except only one side is actively removing established rights as we speak right now

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Politics is one of those things that despite knowing almost nothing people will pretend to be experts at it to seem smart, those people often say "the truth is in the middle" because it sounds like a smart thing to say when instead it's stupid nonsense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Politics is one of those things that despite knowing almost nothing people will pretend to be experts at it to seem smart, those people often say "the truth is in the middle" because it sounds like a smart thing to say when instead it's stupid nonsense.

I get what you're saying here, but the Golden Mean Fallacy is against the truth always being in the middle of two positions. It's not the argument that it never is.

It's also not super applicable in this case, since that South Park episode is arguing that both options are wrong, not that the answer is a moderate compromise between the two.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

I feel like you nailed to a T the exact response someone who likes to act informed, but isn’t would make.

It has been proven that armed teachers are significantly more dangerous that ones that aren’t.

It has been proven, statistically and otherwise, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again that the amount of guns are the problem. So no republicans do not points for talking about arming teachers.

Yeah, that...that was my point. This isn't going to bat for both sides, it's that as crazy as Republicans are, they are willing to actually make do on their promises, even if they're truly evil. The Democrats on the others hand have proven too many times aren't real leftists, they're more or less centrists, and always trying to cross the isle or whatever instead of put forth real left wing policies. The only people on the left who are willing to staunchly advocate for actual change that they want tend to be the terminally online type, and that's a whole other can of worms. That is not how you get things done.

Like I'll never forget that when the Democratic National Convention aired to support Biden, they flashed all these images. Including one of a black woman hugging a loving cop. Only a few months after George Floyd. Inappropriate doesn't begin to describe it.

And democrats haven’t had universal power since Obama, and that was only for 2 years IIRC. Democrats have been 100% unable on a federal level to enact any meaningful legislation because they have NOT been in control in all 3 chambers and there are no longer any reasonable republicans. This isn’t even considering the face that there are 2 pseudo-republicans (Sinemma & Manchin) who have been even further blocking meaningful legislation. Republicans did have full control under trump for 2 years and also managed to do jack poo poo with it.

Republicans didn't get things done? Tell that to the actual Muslim bans and mass deportations under Trump. Tell that about him deliberately fumbling COVID when it first came out, tell that about how he deliberately refused aid to California during those wildfires in 2020. Tell that to how he refused to even so much as slightly tackle gun control. Tell that to his lovely loving border wall, and how much Biden is continuing that same border wall. Too many Democrats are willing to help Biden continue what are essentially right wing policies. He has the most power in the world and does the bare minimum of what's needed. He has signed off on more gas and oil leases than Trump, drilling all over the place.

For crying out loud, Louis deJoy still holds a position. I don't think it needs repeating, but that shouldn't be the case!

And sure, let’s talk about abortion access. Biden did as absolutely much as he could. He ensured easy, over the counter access to plan-b. He made it so states it was difficult for states to block mailed abortion medication. He ensured the military offered enhanced abortion access. There’s more I’m missing. There was also always the risk that Biden went hard enough to trigger a federal lawsuit, which would allow a crazy court to put a hold on some of things he was able to accomplish.

Those feel like token attempts at the problem, kind of like how Trump froze student debt loans but also actively promoted misinformation and did gently caress all with the crisis on a grand scale. As soon as Roe v Wade vanished, Biden could order the use of federal lands in states where abortion is banned to provide it, but he didn't, and that alone would do so much. The president isn't just a position that must always answer to the whims of the courts and the senate. There's some legal complications about specifically using federal lands to provide abortion, but maybe we should go ahead and do that anyway. People noticed corporations actually bow to workers when they did mass strikes, and it wasn't much, but it proved just how much more power the people have than they thought. Real change is hard and complicated, but it needs to be done.

For the record, I can't imagine any Democrat today doing what Eisenhower did to protect James Meredith. That's the kind of action I want Biden to take.

Would you like to know how to get rid of democrats that are too focused on war and lovely neo-lib policies?

It’s elect enough democrats so the issues they win on (abortion, weed, social safety nets, healthcare, whatever) are codified into law. Once those are codified into law, the moderates no longer can stand on those issues and can be primaried with more liberal, effective democrats. It’s so painfully obvious yet we keep running in this cycle of “many democrats also support lovely policies so I might as well let all my rights get taken away :colbert:

Allowing republicans to be elected via apathy and both sides-isms just means you get to keep fighting for the same basic rights you believe in over and over and allowing moderates to win toeing that line while pushing their own lovely agendas.

Vote blue no matter who doesn't help anyone. Not when Democrats are too willing to find common ground with Republicans and not actually push forth their actual agendas. Not when the current guy in charge has repeatedly been noted to be too right wing for a real Democrat, someone who has always supported Israel in the past, was caught lying repeatedly on his campaign trail about his accomplishments and more or less forced Bernie Sanders to drop out of the presidential race by taking advantage of the COVID crisis. Especially when people like AOC and Bernie Sanders are supporting arming Israel. Obviously the solution here isn't to elect Republicans or twiddle your thumbs and do nothing, not sure where you got that idea, but it's not alarming to say the system is hosed!

Also if someone up high wants me to not respond with anymore walls of text or shut up entirely, I'll go ahead and stop from here on out. South Park wears it's politics on it's sleeve and that is worth discussion, but this convo is getting WAY off topic!

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 13, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Again, I think the takeaway from Douche & Turd was not "every politician is equally bad, voting doesn't matter" but rather "stop giving us the worst possible candidates and acting surprised at low voter turnout"

Like the whole Puff Daddy thing, just the absurdity of thinking the real problem is kids don't think voting is cool and hip. As opposed to, they correctly have no enthusiasm for the candidates.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's no message with Puff Daddy in the episode. Matt & Trey just took Puff Daddy's actual "Vote or Die" campaign in a very literal direction.

I don't think anyone should ever take a South Park message to heart. Especially not one from nearly 20 years ago. But arguably, the message of, "Both candidates suck" isn't really that wrong. I didn't vote for Biden in 2020, I just voted against Trump. It could have been an actual turd sandwich. And, likewise I voted for John Kerry in 2004 because he wasn't Bush.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Matt is the douche.
Trey is the turd.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Actually, Matt seems cool. Trey is both douche and turd.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

South Park Snow Day trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtqDYsxMHI

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Looks kinda poo poo? But I don't tend to enjoy multiplayer games.

Wht's the song at the beginning of that trailer? I can't place it.
Edit: Duh, Swans Lake.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 23, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Crazy, watched the Trapped in the Closet / Scientology episode again and noticed for the 1st time that the end credits are all John & Jane Smith after Stan telling them to sue.

Curious if they are actually going to drop the 2nd special event this year or what is going on with that... would think Paramount would be pretty upset about them only making 1 considering the amount of money put up for them.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Maybe a surprise Christmas special? Hard to top Woodland Critters Christmas though.

South Park is gonna be making new episodes after Paramount+ is gone so maybe they don't care, it's the worst streaming service I've used and it has basically nothing on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

gurragadon posted:

Maybe a surprise Christmas special? Hard to top Woodland Critters Christmas though.

South Park is gonna be making new episodes after Paramount+ is gone so maybe they don't care, it's the worst streaming service I've used and it has basically nothing on it.

there will be blood
the shining
shawshank redemption
the iron giant
aftersun
lady bird
zodiac

yeah... nothing good at all on paramount+