Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Wow, the second-to-last chapter and the author is still introducing new characters. I'm starting to think Carl H. Yaeger wasn't a very skilled writer.

Then again, can any book with forced garlic enemas and cult wedding piranha massacres be truly bad? Yes.

I hope everyone is ready for the big finale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Chapter 24

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Epilogue

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

All right, there you have it.

Add your final thoughts.

I need to digest this all for a day or two, go back through and finish writing chapter synopses, as well and adding to, clarifying, and re-organizing the character list before this thread gets archived. Work is busy this week, but I promise I'll do that when I have time. I doubt any of you care, but I want to do it for myself.

I hope you've all enjoyed this terrible piece of trash!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol at the idea that the Mrs. Or Miss options were ever circled

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Soldier of fortune paved the way for Obama, who knew?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had fun picturing every character in the book as Dale Gribble.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Well, you know what you need to do now.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Blue Moonlight posted:

Well, you know what you need to do now.

Yes. Yes I do.

I loving hate buying books from worldofbooksusa because they lie about book condition in their descriptions, but these books are oddly difficult to find, so it's the price I had to pay. Well, that and $6.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

I dunno, Dale Gribble had SOME redeeming characteristics...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I dunno, Dale Gribble had SOME redeeming characteristics...

He's who springs to mind whenever I try to picture the average SoF reader.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A few thoughts on the epilogue:

This is the most unbelievable line in the whole book:

This I can believe:

So the hero of the book is modeled after Mussolini:

Jesus Christ. This is just... wow.

The swastika being replaced with a cross is very fitting:

And the book ends with the United States as a theocratic fascist dictatorship with a single political party. But don't fret, because if you don't like that, there is an up and coming second party that's further to the right and even more theocratic.

Hooray for freedom!! USA! USA!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's who springs to mind whenever I try to picture the average SoF reader.

Yeah, me too. Still, it's funny that actual SoF enthusiasts are somehow even more cartoonish than Dale Gribble.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm really genuinely confused about everything that happened in the book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This book felt like it was written by two people who didn't agree on anything but couldn't change what the other person wrote. So you have Salazar becoming a crazed fascist but then the heroes end up joining him anyway and helping his country expand like Nazi Germany.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

This book felt like it was written by two people who didn't agree on anything but couldn't change what the other person wrote. So you have Salazar becoming a crazed fascist but then the heroes end up joining him anyway and helping his country expand like Nazi Germany.

Yeah. Devoid of any context, the epilogue makes it sound (correctly) like everything that happened was awful. Did he change his mind halfway through the book?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

holy poo poo the ending to this book is really something else

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i do like the cool bit of blasphemy when the book implies davenport is somehow above god

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Gutter Phoenix posted:

A few thoughts on the epilogue:

This is the most unbelievable line in the whole book:

This I can believe:

So the hero of the book is modeled after Mussolini:

The swastika being replaced with a cross is very fitting:

And the book ends with the United States as a theocratic fascist dictatorship with a single political party. But don't fret, because if you don't like that, there is an up and coming second party that's further to the right and even more theocratic.

Hooray for freedom!! USA! USA!
He broke the two party system by creating a different two party system

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Unironic Prussia worship, also he's not aware bolivia is landlocked

lmao at argentinians ever giving paraguay land

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You left out the best bit:

He deported Puerto Ricans to Paraguay, and Paraguay then sent them to South Africa!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tiggum posted:

He deported Puerto Ricans to Paraguay, and Paraguay then sent them to South Africa!

They also put a literal Nazi with a hard-on for tanks in command of a tank division in Africa.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the whole "recapture of Namibia" is super racist.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Ha ha ha! I glossed over that when I was trying to read that chapter while busy at work. Thank you for pointing that out!

Blue Moonlight posted:

They also put a literal Nazi with a hard-on for tanks in command of a tank division in Africa.

Yup.

muscles like this! posted:

Also the whole "recapture of Namibia" is super racist.

Oh yeah, extremely racist. Clearly Yaeger believed that Africans were subservient to the white man, and too primitive to rule themselves. Also, I know that colonialist white South Africans continued to control Walvis Bay in Namibia even after that country gained independence in 1990. South Africa controlled it until 1994, when it was ceded back to Namibia.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This morning I was going through a crazy old survival magazine to post in the GBS magazine thread, and look what I happened to see:

Carl H. Yaeger had his fingers in all sorts of crazy things! I haven't read the article yet, but I assume it is insane.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Hey gutter pheonix would you consider adding a "highlight reel" to the op? I'd like an index of the interesting chapters because i can't justify wasting my life reading the entire book

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This morning I was going through a crazy old survival magazine to post in the GBS magazine thread, and look what I happened to see:

Carl H. Yaeger had his fingers in all sorts of crazy things! I haven't read the article yet, but I assume it is insane.

I'm half convinced yaeger is a troll because in the article he's critical of christian fundamentalists militias even though you think he'd be all for that given his book

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Hey gutter pheonix would you consider adding a "highlight reel" to the op? I'd like an index of the interesting chapters because i can't justify wasting my life reading the entire book

Yes, I am planning to go back through and write a brief synopsis of every chapter, mostly so I can try to make some sense of the ridiculous plot and terrible writing. I will put that in the OP.

I also want to clarify the character list since there are too many people to easily keep track of.

Work is insanely busy this week, but I will do that before this thread disappears into the archives. I hope to have at least part of it posted here by the end of the week.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Yes, I am planning to go back through and write a brief synopsis of every chapter, mostly so I can try to make some sense of the ridiculous plot and terrible writing. I will put that in the OP.

I also want to clarify the character list since there are too many people to easily keep track of.

Work is insanely busy this week, but I will do that before this thread disappears into the archives. I hope to have at least part of it posted here by the end of the week.

Goonspeed

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Dreddout posted:

I'm half convinced yaeger is a troll because in the article he's critical of christian fundamentalists militias even though you think he'd be all for that given his book

equally or more insane writer John Ringo once said something to the effect that he includes such hosed up poo poo in his books because his sicko readers eat that up, so maybe

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I added synopses for the first 2 chapters in the OP.

More will be added as soon as I can write them.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Update: I've added the synopses through chapter 14 to the OP. I'll try to finish the last ten chapter synopses (as well as the revised character list) in the next few days.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Alright everybody, unless any of you have more to add here, I think my work is done.

Check out the revised OP for a synopsis and link to each of the chapters, as well as a semi-detailed list of characters. I think I have put more time and energy into unraveling this crazy story than the author did writing it.

I hope you've all enjoyed this epic tale of the Cult Crushers!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think now that you've got the synopses written, you should start a new thread in GBS or TFR

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Speleothing posted:

I think now that you've got the synopses written, you should start a new thread in GBS or TFR

This took more time than I expected to dedicate to it, but I had fun, so I'll probably do another one at some point. I need a break to catch up on a few other things first.

That being said, I did buy 3 more of Carl H. Yaeger's Soldier of Fortune Presents paperbacks, so...

This worked out pretty well being in C-Spam, but maybe I'll try doing a similar thread in GBS (as originally intended) and see how that compares. I don't know yet. Like a reed, I bend in the wind.

In the meantime, please see these two threads, both of which feature Soldier of Fortune and SOF-adjacent material (among many other fine things):

GBS magazine thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887842

GBS book thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842135

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did he ever write an actual sequel to The Cult Crushers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

From what I can tell, Carl H. Yaeger only ever published four books. I ordered cheap copies of the three I haven't read, but am still waiting for one of them. It is possible that Hunger for Heroes is a sequel to Cult Crushers, but I do not know.