Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It is a good rule of thumb that anything with him as the main writer will be a lot better than anything with him as the 'creative inspiration', or something where he does three episodes before loving off, though. He's either bad at or very unlucky with collaborative works. He also did good work on Thunderbolt Fantasy recently.

Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Davincie posted:

if i wanted to see bad philosophy, id put on any anime which quotes schrodingers cat, so about 50% of them

One of the few actually good bits of When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is the chuuni main character winning a trivia contest where all the answers are things like Schrodinger's Cat, Gungnir, Gaia Theory...

What really makes it funny is that I'm pretty sure the Index/Railgun franchise has mentioned basically all of those concepts at some point, and the Index author seems to have misunderstood at least half of them.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 28, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The season 2 finale arc was definitely the high point of Index for me. Everything came together in a way that was absurd but which sortof made sense and the villain joined the Catholic church and vowed to destroy all science because her brother died in a rollercoaster accident

Yeah, Index has some really stupid villain motivations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's a real risky move to remind people of much better media as a normal part of watching your show.

This is sometimes true (one of my big problems with the original Pretty Cure is that it kept making me wish I was watching Cardcaptor Sakura instead), but I don't think reminding people of an idol show in a show about papermaking is a problem.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dzhay posted:

I think the implication is that Myne is doing something weird that the people of isekai-land don't understand.

It's this, yeah.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Maybe it's because you said "The Shambling Corpse of Shaft" right at the start, but I took one look at that poster and can't stop thinking "Aren't those two basically Madoka and Homura with slightly different hairdos?"

Lol, I had the same thought.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nephthys posted:

An Isekai where the protag only kinda remembers the science behind stuff and just has to BS trial and error their way into inventing the light bulb or something.

"I'm trapped in another world but I only got a B in Science". @ me publishers.

Isn't that basically what actually happens in Bookworm? In the early chapters, Myne experiments with various paper-making processes that fail horribly because of something she didn't account for.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

Connecticut Yankee is like 300% isekai. That's not even ironic.

Connecticut Yankee is one of the worst offenders in terms of the protagonist just making modern things with the logistics being handwaved. There’s an interesting ambivalence towards the protagonist, though. When I first read it as a kid, I assumed that the main character’s views were basically Twain’s views. When I read it again in high school, though, I realized that while he’s initially a mouthpiece for Twain’s views to a degree, he becomes corrupted by power. Which makes sense; Twain took a dim view of the Middle Ages and of fiction that glorified it (even blaming Walter Scott for the American Civil War in Life on the Mississippi), but he was also a member of the Anti-Imperialist League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mordja posted:

This new season of Psycho Pass seems to directly contradict a lot of the first two

That's sticking to the trend; the second season contradicts a lot of the first!