Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

I'm not gonna watch FGO stuff until they give Gudako the respect she deserves and give her protag.

she's the lead in a few manga adaptations (shimosa and salem) but that's about it unfortunately

idk i've pretty much accepted that i'm only going to feel bitter about all the big fate animated adaptations cause they're never gonna have the femcs so i'll just play the games instead lol. sucks when you get something like foxtail that has original stuff tho, some of the stuff in that sounds neat but i can't say i care about moon cell or especially ccc without hakunon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gen urobuchi is a person who writes things and sometimes the things are good and sometimes the things are bad. it's a lot like life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hosed up since i made the thread but i'd give machikado like a 7. i like yuko and momo's dynamic and mikan is a fun character but it really, really feels like a partial adaptation of an ongoing manga that hasn't really hit its stride yet and it kinda felt like it was dragging its feet in some of the second half, and the final episode is just kind of a return to the status quo that turns its most interesting moment into another gag. it really needs another season to pull everything together into something more interesting, because in trying to be a mix of a regular sol show and something that goes a bit heavier on ongoing plot threads it only felt like, 1/3 of a story

i am interested in seeing where the manga goes though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 28, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

Ah, shame, felt like I'd seen people be a lot higher on it than that.

i mean it's totally worth watching

i just, wouldn't call it the best show of the season. it felt like a new game s1, an okay kirara anime that hasn't really clicked into what could make it really good yet. there's some good stuff there that i had fun watching it for, it just needs tighter writing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tales of Woe posted:

i'd rate it above most 1-season kirara shows. these series always get better in season 2 if they get one.

i'd put comic girls above it, i feel like that one had a more interesting arc of figuring out what it wanted to do within its run time and ended up playing with character relationships and dynamics in more fun ways than machikado did, especially with more characters to work with

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

And where does that leave Slow motherfucking Start? I'm almost afraid to ask.

the last few episodes are kinda weak cause the anime-original stuff can be kinda mixed and the last few episodes are basically entire original, but the stuff it covers from the manga is adapted really well, it lends a whole world of physical expression to tama that brings her character to life and isn't quite as present in the manga and the entire scene of hannen and shion getting a massage and hannen staring at shion's boobs the entire time was anime-original so it's a pretty good adaptation

also the yandere dating sim gag with tama was kinda... odd? it didn't make me #cancel it but it doesn't quite fit her characterization since she's just kinda excitable and gay, it's not a recurring joke so i dunno why they added it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 28, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

I’m having a hard time believing anything can be better than wa moon das cry or horny bookclub. If it’s by slow start person tho it deserves a chance.

it's not, they have different directors and different authors. machikado also has way less resources to work with so the animation is a lot more limited, i wouldn't expect anything like the fancier flourishes slow start had. honestly if they ever do another season of machikado that's one of the biggest things i'd like to see improved on, every other kirara anime i can think of other than like, magic of stella, benefited a ton from more energetic character animation

guess there's not much to do about that unless s2 is way higher profile though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 29, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can thank mai toda

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1179563269100580864

previous works include chief animation direction and character designs on girls' last tour and soushin shoujo matoi, which have similarly bouncy expressions. also did some key animation on a couple episodes of one punch man and the finale of flip flappers. they've got real power

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope season 3 of psycho-pass turns out to be the best one of the entire show and i've never even begun to watch psycho-pass

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

If it does, great; but prepare to be dissapointed.

i hope it does entirely because i'm getting annoyed of seeing people post this exact thing repeatedly when it hasn't even begun airing lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the azur lane anime is ftw cause they rewrote every character whose gimmick was wanting to gently caress the admiral into them just being gay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i saw some people say o maidens got bad towards the end but nobody's told me anything specific

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

Holy poo poo, 5 minutes into Cautious Hero and it's already amazingly good. The godess's VA work is so good it could carry a show - not that it needs saving. The animation and directing, despite mostly being the Goddess talking to herself, is Trigger af in the best way possible, though it's helmed by White Fox. (Are there Trigger vets working on this show because it feels way too Trigger to be a coincidence.)

it doesn't have any trigger staff. the faces are like that because its character designer and chief animation director is toda mai, that kind of comical facial expression work is her specialty. you see the same stuff in girls' last tour and soushin shoujo matoi

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean, granblue also has sexy dudes and afaict there's plenty of focus on interactions between characters other than gran/djeeta. i never got very into granblue but it strikes me as something that hits kind of an equal balance and i'd imagine the anime is similar?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; i made a joke in this post and it wasn't very good but the essense of the joke is that i'm gay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i'm just bummed that every big mobage anime goes with the male protag but at least granblue seems to go with putting djeeta in the side ovas

maybe some day a fgo anime other than learning with manga will go with gudako... ahaha... hah...

e; tho azur lane did take the secret woke 3rd option of cutting out the mc entirely and making the chars gayer for each other instead so i respect that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i doubt that's actually what it was supposed to be

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the screens they've released look... okay? hard to say until they release a pv

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias posted:

:same: though I don't know how much of that is conscious- it almost feels like a trope at this point that a pair of girls that love each other consists of a short-pink haired girl and a long-black/purple haired girl.

i think it's just, that character designers tend to like giving shorter, cuter characters pink hair and tall, quiet ones black hair

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rifle is beautiful is okay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i really hate it when stories approach heavy and personal themes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah sorry about that i kinda jumped too quick there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

i don't watch police anime cause i oppose the police state

brave...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fantastic mr. fox was a hell of a movie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people do this every so often when an anime that doesn't center around gay characters has a scene where a character says they're gay and like. it's cool if casual rep does something for you but man if you're that desperate for gay rep there's like. a lot of anime, about gay characters, you could watch lol. the well for good stuff there isn't quite as big with gay dudes as it is with yuri i guess but people did the same thing with anima yell and like uhh man if you want a kirara anime with casual gay stuff you, literally already had comic girls, new game and slow start build a ton of stuff around it lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The only version of Ghost in the Shell that was good was GitS:SAC. The problem is that the original manga source material itself isn't good.

the ps1 game is good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUP2w-2F63Q

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rifle is beautiful really feels like a show that. has like two or three funny jokes per episode

in this episode's case it was kinda just one

i think i'd enjoy it way more if it actually tried to be a sports anime instead of a 4koma comedy with sports because man the actual rifle shooting is not very interesting to watch

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 27, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to loving obliterate the word "waifu" in an ultrafurnace that hits 1000k degrees and launch its ashes into outer space in a rocket that will implode at soon as it reaches the outer limits of the universe so that i never have to read people using it to ironically refer to female characters in a piece of fiction ever again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did anybody understand the point of what i loving said

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day mankind will be able to discuss female characters in media without making me feel like i'm having a migraine

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's... still really stupid lol

honestly i'm not sure which would be worse

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 10, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NowonSA posted:

Certainly not thrilled by that KonoSuba news, but I've come to expect that to be how it goes for anything coming out of Japan, anime included.

you shouldn't, because there is a growing number of japanese media that treats subjects regarding sexuality and personal identity and image with a fair amount of care, and there are social movements for discussion of these topics in the country and visible progress on those fronts, so media that continues to use these things as lovely jokes is bad and shouldn't be viewed as the norm to judge the entire country by automatically.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont know if persona will get less homophobic without hashino with how much of a dinosaur atlus is at its core they might just replace him with someone just as bad in some ways, but maybe creative staff on the games will actually be able to do interesting things instead of having a middle aged japanese guy get mad at them for not making the women look young and cute enough

but who knows the persona 5 royal content that hashino didn't head has already turned out absolutely bizarre and half-baked so maybe the franchise direction is just permanently hosed

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was not aware of that. Now I'm wondering if they might take the opportunity to clean out the gay panic stuff with P5:R.

they didn't and the localization of catherine: full body didn't tone it down either. atlus does not even begin to give a poo poo about this stuff and how it makes them look, they're a loving dinosaur of a company

it's also worth noting that persona 2 just had a different writer from the modern games, and it really shows. persona 2's tone and commitment to its themes and general focus around fully humanizing its cast come off totally differently from the modern games' awkward lack of cohesion and penchant for really degrading humor that ignores its own dramatic writing in pretty much every way

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 10, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my recommendation is to look at any japanese anime, manga, game, vn, book or whatever that has lgbt characters and isn't a popular thing that's infamously weird about lgbt people

please, look at them, literally any of them, there's lots, they even make them today. go read one night hot springs and last day of spring

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 10, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a really hosed up manga. cause even though they're adults, they are very foolish and make many mistakes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theres no word in the world more dangerous... than They

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the guy who did the translation for netflix evangelion is the same guy who did the translation for the rebuild movies, his statements about it on twitter were dumb but it obviously wasn't his call